The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on February 20, 2004, 02:59:20 am

Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: AugustWest on February 20, 2004, 02:59:20 am
Thanks Paul, got your disk yesterday and listened to it today.

Took me from the familiar to the utterly unknown and I enjoyed every minute.  Nice cover art, too.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: andalucia on February 20, 2004, 05:27:16 am
Rad design, and I haven't listened to it yet, but it looks great and I'll look forward to it being in my discman tomorrow morning.  Nice stamps too, by the way.  And I know that sounded like a "Uh... got to find something to compliment" sort of compliment, so that's why I put it after all the real compliments.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: starlight on February 20, 2004, 11:33:26 am
Yeah, I just thought I'd say I am enjoying it as well; I didn't give it a good enough listen yet, but I did listen to it since ya corrected that first song = 3 tracks thing :D

I was familiar with some of the bands in the second half ... well, of course smashing pumpkins (hadn't heard this before though I don't think), willard grant conspiracy, the walkabouts (I bought a spanish records compilation that had a song of theirs on it- 'slow red dawn' ..it has a guy and a girl, so the song on your mix was a bit different though I recognised the girl's voice right off even if she was a minimal part in the song I have), the pernice brothers, cat power :D
I'll give it more of a listen soon!

I, too like the coverart ...makes me smile :)
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 20, 2004, 02:56:59 pm
I got it this week too; haven't listened to it yet but might give it a spin this afternoon.

I also got a mix from Andalucia recently.  Congratulations, Acheheads:  I have received 6 CDs after sending out 10.  Much better than the last CD exchange I participated in, in which I sent out 5 CDs and got back two.  

The slacker four, you know who you are.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: AugustWest on February 20, 2004, 03:10:12 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Nice stamps too, by the way.  


Seconded.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2004, 03:32:55 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Nice stamps too, by the way.  


Seconded.


I don't remember what stamps I used.  Thanks for the praise of my stamps.  If only the music could live up to the promise of the stamps.  :D  

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: andalucia on February 21, 2004, 06:55:48 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I don't remember what stamps I used.


Rad old-timey comics.  And fear not, the was also most enjoyable.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2004, 10:06:43 pm
I got gospel singers.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: starlight on February 22, 2004, 06:39:51 am
I don't remember what stamps I got :\
I hardly notice these things ..oh woe is me that I threw out the packaging once I took the disc out therefore I cannot go look
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2004, 07:12:27 am
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about the stamps.  I'm deeply touched.

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: jough on February 22, 2004, 07:48:38 am
I didn't get one so I voted "terrible" (but mostly because I figured no one else would, and that the choice would be lonely without anyone voting for it, like the kid who's always been picked last for kickball).
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2004, 08:00:47 am
You didn't get one because my burner broke and I sent what I had to those who had sent me one.  The one you were gonna send me must have got lost in the mail.  Anyway, I've got the cover made, and i've picked out some killer stamps for you, but i've been too busy to install my new burner.  You'll get your's soon.  The other left-outs are Slink and Alohadawg.

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: slink on February 22, 2004, 08:36:08 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
The other left-outs are Slink and Alohadawg.

~Paul


If you're gonna send me one then I am so gonna sort out drivers and my third soundcard and send mixes out.
Since I'm inebriated I promise to do it this week. And I'll feel guilty if I don't.
So there you go!
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 26, 2004, 02:34:30 pm
Hey Paul--what album is that Pernice Brothers song off of?  And how's the album as a whole? I have a compilation with "Baby in Two" on it, and that's a great song, but I haven't been motivated to actually go out and buy their stuff.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 29, 2004, 12:37:09 am
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Hey Paul--what album is that Pernice Brothers song off of?  And how's the album as a whole? I have a compilation with "Baby in Two" on it, and that's a great song, but I haven't been motivated to actually go out and buy their stuff.


I don't know, but i'll find out.  Ah yes, here we go (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006OJH/qid=1078014577/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/102-2492661-6817760), it's called Overcome by Happiness.  Like you, my exposure to The Pernice Brothers is via a compilation.  I really should get one of their albums because I really love that one song.

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: starlight on March 02, 2004, 10:16:26 am
I have one Pernice Brothers album... The World Won't End ..I quite enjoy that one.  I did have the mp3 of 'crestfallen' ..also, 'dimmest star' and the title track are rather good.  a friend of mine told me 'one foot in the grave' is a good song which is on their latest.. might have to get that someday, too.

Oh yeah, and if ya didn't know, the singer has two side projects: Chappaquiddick Skyline and Scud Mountain Boys ..both are rather good especially the tracks 'solitary swedish houses' from the former and 'in a ditch' by the latter... I should buy those albums someday.. for now I just have mp3s :D
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 04, 2004, 07:20:15 pm
Well...kinda. Scud Mountain Boys were his primary band, not a side project, when they were still a going concern. Chappaquiddick Skyline is sort of a solo album, as is Big Tobacco. I only own their latest, "Yours, Mine and Ours" which is very good. The last track, titled Number Two, is one of my favorite songs. I like Prince Valium and Bum Leg on Big Tobacco quite a bit as well. They are on  tour http://www.pernicebrothers.com/tour.php  right now and ya'll should go see them.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: starlight on March 05, 2004, 12:25:01 pm
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
Well...kinda. Scud Mountain Boys were his primary band, not a side project, when they were still a going concern. Chappaquiddick Skyline is sort of a solo album, as is Big Tobacco.


Whoops .. guess I used the wrong choice o' words.. didn't check google to be sure... I was told this quite awhile back from a friend, so the facts must've got muddled in that time.. heh
I also forgot Scud Mountain Boys had more than one album... erm yeah, I forget the one with 'in a ditch' ..it's on my wishlist somewhere.

..and yeah, seems to be no dates in Tx :P
Cleveland.. I should tell my cousin to go though I don't even know if I told her about the band ..hah.. hm...
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 09, 2004, 05:00:48 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Great stuff, Paul.  'Cept I pulled a long lunch and threw it in and now Son House is dueling Ry Cooder and Johnny Cash in my head and until there's a winner I'll be worthless the rest of the workday.

But the post-lunch worthlessness is nothing new, actually, it just has rad accompianment in my pea-brain today.


Thanks Ash, i'm glad you liked the disc, but please were really dying to know what you thought of the stamps.

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2004, 03:32:29 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I picked it up with my son in tow and he immediately noticed the stamps.  He knew who Dick Tracy was, but Alley Oop was a complete unknown.  This led to a google session to show him some strip samples and the playing of the George Throughgood version of Alley Oop.

The stamps led to important education type stuff.  Those are some mighty powerful stamps.


I hope that was all true, because it's an awesome story, really.  I am moved.  It was totally Wheatonesque (http://wilwheaton.net/).

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2004, 11:57:08 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
True fact dat.

Otherwise, why admit ownership to some Thoroughgood?


You do have a point there.

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 12:28:58 am
I received mine today, but was unimpressed with the stamps.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2004, 02:21:35 am
Quote from: "jough"
I received mine today, but was unimpressed with the stamps.


Yeah, sorry, I forgot the stamps and had to buy the metered type.  I'll do better next go round.

What kind of stamps did you use on your mailer?

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 02:43:36 am
Eh, I metered mine.

And they're now in the mail!

Finally, I know.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: V-Adore on March 11, 2004, 04:08:30 am
Hooray and huzzah!
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: sjlimmer on March 11, 2004, 04:43:48 pm
Sweet.  I haven't have any random fun stuff in the mail for nearly a week.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 05:29:13 pm
Paul, just so you know, I had to scrape off those things you glued onto the CD because they were making the disc wobble uncontrollably.

Those things really need to be balanced, or they can just EXPLODE.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2004, 07:27:52 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Paul, just so you know, I had to scrape off those things you glued onto the CD because they were making the disc wobble uncontrollably.

Those things really need to be balanced, or they can just EXPLODE.


That sounds like a hardware problem to me.

~Paul
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 07:31:58 pm
Paul, I lied in another thread.

I haven't sent yours yet because I don't have your address and can't deceipher it from the return addy.

So PM me and I'll get yours out today.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: andalucia on March 12, 2004, 12:04:44 am
Hurrah for jough-mix, and for Paul's picture.  It makes me want to change my avatar to a childhood photo, but it would be less rad than all of yours, being from the late 80s or so.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 12:12:32 am
I would change my avatar to a childhood picture, but I can't think of a single picture that qualifies both as "V as a child" and "not blazingly embarrassing to V now." I guess I could use my facebook photo, but even that seems a little dodgy.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 02:25:49 am
Yeah, way to copy me, Paul. :P
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 02:43:12 am
I have one that I could use -- if I wanted to go to the trouble of scanning it and finding someplace to host it.  Oddly enough, it looks amazingly like Jough's picture.

Handsome devils, we are.
Title: Rumplestilskin Rocks!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 12, 2004, 04:14:02 am
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, way to copy me, Paul. :P


You're just jealous because i'm so much cuter than you.

~Paul