The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 29, 2004, 06:34:25 pm

Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: pmcd9 on February 29, 2004, 06:34:25 pm
NEIL YOUNG INTERVIEW (http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=1906&cf=229)

I just love this guy.

~Paul
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: andalucia on February 29, 2004, 11:12:26 pm
Represent that; one of a very small handful of Canadian musicians I don't loathe.  Thanks for the link.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: slink on February 29, 2004, 11:40:30 pm
I loathe him. One of the many Canadian musicians I do. Although I just discovered some more bands this weekend from Ontario who I dig, but that's beside the point.
WHat I don't always loathe is people covering Young. That can turn out very well. So in some ways I have to not loathe him.

Now I just confused myself.
I didn't go to sleep...
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: andalucia on March 01, 2004, 12:40:07 am
Quote from: "slink"
people covering Young


To whom are you referring?  I'm kind of intruiged.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: slink on March 01, 2004, 01:09:15 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

To whom are you referring?  I'm kind of intruiged.


Uhm. Well, the only one I can remember right now is Mark Lanegan doing a cover of Cinnamon Girl on Milanese radio which I have.
I am certainly aware of others but can't remember them right now. I'll have a think!
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AugustWest on March 01, 2004, 01:17:44 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "andalucia"

To whom are you referring?  I'm kind of intruiged.


Uhm. Well, the only one I can remember right now is Mark Lanegan doing a cover of Cinnamon Girl on Milanese radio which I have.
I am certainly aware of others but can't remember them right now. I'll have a think!


Oh.  Duh {SMACKS FOREHEAD}.  I thought you meant you admired journalists who wrote about Neil Young.  Like you were some kind of music critic groupie or something.  Now I get it.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AugustWest on March 01, 2004, 01:19:02 am
Oh yeah, back OT.  I saw Neil Young do Greendale acoustic by himself on stage on a DirecTV freeview.  It was great.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2004, 02:48:06 am
Bernard Shakey rules.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: pmcd9 on March 01, 2004, 02:53:33 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Represent that; one of a very small handful of Canadian musicians I don't loathe.  Thanks for the link.


I'm not sure that He's really even a Canadian anymore is he?  He's not lived in Canada for probably 40 years and like he states in his interview he's got 3 American kids and an American wife.  He pays his taxes, he's as American as anyone.

~Paul
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2004, 02:55:07 am
He also has recorded several songs with distinctly American points of view, and discussing American subjects.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: andalucia on March 01, 2004, 04:53:28 am
Come on, just let us have him!  You can take Jim Carrey and Alanis Morissette, just leave us one celebrity I can respect.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: pmcd9 on March 01, 2004, 05:01:43 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Come on, just let us have him!  You can take Jim Carrey and Alanis Morissette, just leave us one celebrity I can respect.


Lots of great comedians from Up North.

~Paul
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2004, 03:30:06 pm
You've got Bryan Adams!

For my money, you can keep Jim Carrey.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 02, 2004, 01:50:14 am
Will you take Night Ranger back, though?

And thanks for John Candy. He was awesome.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: andalucia on March 02, 2004, 03:45:55 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And thanks for John Candy. He was awesome.


Agreed.  Truly a god among men.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Nabubrush on March 02, 2004, 03:47:24 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Will you take Night Ranger back, though?

Preferably with small pieces of the members of Loverboy stuffed in their pockets.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Bozack on March 08, 2004, 03:59:06 pm
My sister is dating/psuedo-engaged to a Canadian guy, who is AWESOME, and she had a dream the other night that she and him were married in an ICE RINK, on ICE SKATES, in HOCKEY GEAR and that the skated up the isle to "O Canada."

basically what i am trying to say is that our great neighbors to the north are fine people.

also, there's the best canadian of all:
WOLVERIIINNNNEEEEE!!!!
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Limmo on March 08, 2004, 04:05:42 pm
I still think the best Canadian of all is Geddy Lee.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jough on March 08, 2004, 04:17:01 pm
You're all forgetting William Shatner.

How the hell could you forget Shatner?

There could be no greater Canadian.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: slink on March 08, 2004, 04:22:12 pm
Shatner makes me ashamed of my job!
Dear god. More ashamed than Bryan Adams.

And as for mentioning Geddy Lee, now I have to go listen to Mars Volta Live again.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AugustWest on March 08, 2004, 04:26:36 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You're all forgetting William Shatner.

How the hell could you forget Shatner?

There could be no greater Canadian.


Don't you mean:

You're all....forgetting....William SHATNER.

How the...hell....could you forget....SHATNER?

There...could be no....greater....Canadian.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 08, 2004, 05:08:23 pm
Free health care, less crime, thinking about legalizing weed.  Plus, they've got poutine.  I freakin' love Canada.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on March 08, 2004, 05:31:12 pm
What about Bret "The Hitman" Hart? He's the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be. Plus he's Canadian.

Come on, didn't anybody else watch Superstars when they were 9?
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: slink on March 08, 2004, 06:06:47 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus he's Canadian.


Was.
I actually happened to be at a friends house, who liked watching wrestling at the event where Hart died. My friend was downstairs taking a piss when it happened, and came back and refused to believe us, that it had happened.

And poutine... Ugh!
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on March 08, 2004, 07:21:25 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus he's Canadian.


Was.
I actually happened to be at a friends house, who liked watching wrestling at the event where Hart died. My friend was downstairs taking a piss when it happened, and came back and refused to believe us, that it had happened.

And poutine... Ugh!


You're thinking of his real-life brother Owen Hart. Bret is still very much alive. Although he recently had a stroke. And their dad died this summer.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: slink on March 08, 2004, 09:02:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

You're thinking of his real-life brother Owen Hart. Bret is still very much alive. Although he recently had a stroke. And their dad died this summer.


I thought it was Brett Hart who debuted a new character a coupla years back, all covered in feathers and shit, and then fell from the rafters when entering the ring in a fancy way?
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: V-Adore on March 08, 2004, 09:30:11 pm
No, that was Owen Hart, his brother. I believe that Bret is still alive.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on March 08, 2004, 09:39:40 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

You're thinking of his real-life brother Owen Hart. Bret is still very much alive. Although he recently had a stroke. And their dad died this summer.


I thought it was Brett Hart who debuted a new character a coupla years back, all covered in feathers and shit, and then fell from the rafters when entering the ring in a fancy way?


If so then he's writing a newspaper (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Wrestlemania20/2004/03/06/372890.html) column from beyond the grave.

It was definitely his brother Owen (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=%22owen+hart%22+died&btnG=Google+Search) who fell.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: slink on March 08, 2004, 09:51:15 pm
Ah. Cool.
Well. Doesn't amke that much difference to me, except re-writing a memory slightly.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2004, 03:49:50 am
In many parts of the country (America) This Friday the Greendale movie will be showing for one night only.  I strongly encourage you to see this.

showtimes and venues (http://www.neilyoung.com/trailer.html)

~Paul
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Choop on April 15, 2004, 04:36:29 am
DAMNIT ALL TO HECK I'll be in Cancun, sippin' cheladas on the beach and eatin' for free.

Oh, yeah, I'm flying first class too. My wife's got a fantastic job with fantastic perks.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2004, 11:40:54 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
DAMNIT ALL TO HECK I'll be in Cancun, sippin' cheladas on the beach and eatin' for free.

Oh, yeah, I'm flying first class too. My wife's got a fantastic job with fantastic perks.


That was totally gratuitous.

~Paul
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 08:47:11 pm
Yes, it was. He'll probably get laid, too. Maybe more than once.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jough on April 15, 2004, 08:59:15 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Yes, it was. He'll probably get laid, too. Maybe more than once.


Nah.  He's married.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 09:01:51 pm
Yeah, but Vacation Sex....I didn't say he was getting head. Now there is something a wedding can put a stop to in a hurry....
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: V-Adore on April 15, 2004, 09:36:32 pm
To channel Beef:

man  how many conversations does this board need about posters getting blowjobs ANYWAY i thought we already talked about this

all gettin' blowjobs competitively
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Choop on April 15, 2004, 09:55:05 pm
All I'm saying back to you fools is: Yipes do you have the wrong idea about marriage vis-a-vis sex.

JL's married, and with a great sex life, if she ain't makin' it up all the time.

I just choose not to post about mine.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jough on April 15, 2004, 09:57:52 pm
I'm getting a blowjob right now.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 10:07:41 pm
Who's this blowjob?


We all have different ideas about what a great sex life entails. Some of those ideas make others of us sad, though.

Now competetive blowjobs...there's a concept I can appreciate and promote - in the context of my sexual orientation only, though.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: V-Adore on April 15, 2004, 10:28:11 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I imagine this with a panel of idiosyncratic semi-celebraty judges, a Rod Roddy* blow by blow voice over, studio slo-mo analysis and a hyper enthused studio audience.

Crap, I think I just turned this into a great porn pitch.

*from the grave, unfortunately.

I like this idea wholeheartedly aside from the part where I had a memetic collision between posthumous Rod Roddy, god bless his soul, and blowjobs. Ew.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on April 15, 2004, 11:02:37 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Now competetive blowjobs...there's a concept I can appreciate and promote - in the context of my sexual orientation only, though.

Quote from: "Lewis Black"
Oral sex should be a sport because it's harder than curling and if you're any good at it you deserve a medal!
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jay-ell on April 15, 2004, 11:02:44 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
getting head...now there is something a wedding can put a stop to in a hurry....


What?  You mean I was supposed to stop...Oh, damn.  I've been doing it wrong this whole time.  

(Choop's right, and no, I'm not making it up all the time.  Give Pedro a hi-five next time you see him.  ;) )
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jay-ell on April 15, 2004, 11:06:06 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Now competetive blowjobs...there's a concept I can appreciate and promote - in the context of my sexual orientation only, though.

Quote from: "Lewis Black"
Oral sex should be a sport because it's harder than curling and if you're any good at it you deserve a medal!


The question is, what would the judging criteria be?  Style?  Depth?  Efficiency?  Speed?  Some combination of factors?  Would a participant have to blow the whole judicial panel, or just let them watch?  Are points deducted for spitting?  Do I get bonus points for letting him use my pigtails like handles?  

Answers, people.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on April 15, 2004, 11:15:11 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Now competetive blowjobs...there's a concept I can appreciate and promote - in the context of my sexual orientation only, though.

Quote from: "Lewis Black"
Oral sex should be a sport because it's harder than curling and if you're any good at it you deserve a medal!


The question is, what would the judging criteria be?  Style?  Depth?  Efficiency?  Speed?  Some combination of factors?  Would a participant have to blow the whole judicial panel, or just let them watch?  Are points deducted for spitting?  Do I get bonus points for letting him use my pigtails like handles?  

Answers, people.

It would be divided into 2 competions like ice skating. Speed and style. Speed is clear and would be done glory-hole-style. In the style version the judges would be the recipients with the uglier judges reserved for later rounds. All recipients would have to watch at least 2 hours of porn each day leading up to competition with no release.

Are points deducted for spitting? I won't dignify this with a response.

Costuming, including pigtails, would be a factor in the artistic competion.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on April 15, 2004, 11:15:44 pm
After re-reading my above post, I've creeped myself out just a little.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jay-ell on April 15, 2004, 11:19:18 pm
Yeah, there was definitely waaaay to much thought in that post.  

But if you hadn't done it, somebody else might have.  Somebody creepier.  

Somebody named Jough.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 11:40:29 pm
I was thinking there should be a technical program and an artistic program, like figure skating used to be before they got rid of the actual figures.

There could also be objective measurements, like PSI of actual suction, tongue agility, and lack of gag reflex. I see a whole sex olympics rising from this.

Spitting disqualifies you.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Limmo on April 15, 2004, 11:43:05 pm
And will NEIL YOUNG provide the soundtrack?
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on April 15, 2004, 11:50:13 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I was thinking there should be a technical program and an artistic program, like figure skating used to be before they got rid of the actual figures.

There could also be objective measurements, like PSI of actual suction, tongue agility, and lack of gag reflex. I see a whole sex olympics rising from this.

Spitting disqualifies you.

Now that I think about it, speed might be a bad competition. After a couple years the partici##### would all start showing up with overdeveloped arms and creepy tongue mucles and stuff. Technical is a much better idea.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: arkabee on April 16, 2004, 12:27:30 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I was thinking there should be a technical program and an artistic program, like figure skating used to be before they got rid of the actual figures.

There could also be objective measurements, like PSI of actual suction, tongue agility, and lack of gag reflex. I see a whole sex olympics rising from this.

Spitting disqualifies you.

Now that I think about it, speed might be a bad competition. After a couple years the partici##### would all start showing up with overdeveloped arms and creepy tongue mucles and stuff. Technical is a much better idea.


enter the East German, swim team was it?
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 16, 2004, 12:35:07 am
Arkabee raises a good point here; should genetic testing of gender be at all important in this competition? Or should there be multiple team events, like M/M, F/M, F/T, M/T, T/T, and team events like MMMMMF (for speed and/or endurance) or MMF (technical ability/simultaneity) or MFF (coordination)?
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Choop on April 16, 2004, 02:47:42 am
Instead of a "Blowjobs" medal, it oughta be just an "Oral Sex" medal. I ain't competin' in anything where part of it's giving a blowjob, but I'll eat some pussy -and do it right- for that gold.


Quote from: "jldunston"
Do I get bonus points for letting him use my pigtails like handles?


HELL YES
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jay-ell on April 16, 2004, 04:19:43 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
There could also be objective measurements, like PSI of actual suction, tongue agility, and lack of gag reflex. I see a whole sex olympics rising from this.


See what I mean about putting too much thought into things?   :wink:

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Instead of a "Blowjobs" medal, it oughta be just an "Oral Sex" medal. I ain't competin' in anything where part of it's giving a blowjob, but I'll eat some pussy -and do it right- for that gold.


That's true.  Honestly, I think cunnilingus has to be more difficult than fellatio -- because basically, all wangs are alike -- but no two women like the same things in that department, so unless you spend your whole life munching the same muff, skills transfer is rather limited.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: jough on April 16, 2004, 04:22:45 am
I have much to say about the subject of blowjobs, but I have been working for nearly 30 hours straight (except for five minute breaks to IM or answer e-mail) and am too tired to participate in anything more on the computer.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: wombat on April 16, 2004, 06:34:08 am
Dang, I keep forgetting that I shouldn't quit following a thread just because I'm not interested in, say, Neil Young and that's what's in the title.  You guys have really outdone yourself this time for the Most Wandering Topic award.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: CortJstr on April 16, 2004, 04:23:36 pm
I think our discussion is getting a little too detailed but I will say that this would make me watch the Olympics for the first time ever.

They could make it a summer and winter event. Think of the ratings!
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: Nabubrush on April 17, 2004, 02:31:58 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Dang, I keep forgetting that I shouldn't quit following a thread just because I'm not interested in, say, Neil Young and that's what's in the title.  You guys have really outdone yourself this time for the Most Wandering Topic award.

I hear that. I finally thought "well, I ought to see what's going on here" and clicked on page three. I'm all "umm, what's the connection to Neil Young?" and then I thought about it, and then I put my own eyes out.
Title: Neil Young is my American Idol
Post by: slink on April 17, 2004, 02:35:18 pm
Yes. I erm, think I'm going to do something about this.
It having wondered just too much.

Not even mentioning that it was once about Neil Young can save it now!