The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on August 05, 2003, 01:58:58 pm

Title: Ray's Place (08-05-03)
Post by: CortJstr on August 05, 2003, 01:58:58 pm
Dang but Ray's Place is funny. Although I was a little disappointed that the best part of today's column was actually a letter. The twice divorced brother was hilarious.

"So you can see what my dilemma is: my brother is in desperate need of an ass-beating, but if I give him even half the beating he needs, I could cause permanent physical harm and possibly even face criminal charges."

Classic.

And I was going to be dreadfully dissapointed if Ray didn't mention the S&M/ass-beating connection but he came through for us all.

Column (http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=08052003&allnav=1).
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: slink on August 05, 2003, 02:14:53 pm
Absolutely! Excellent RP today. Hella funny, and I don't usually say hella!
'Cold-buck 'wylin' just had me grinning!
Everything from the mass of humour, to the nostalgiac stories both sad and cool (abortion and 'shrooms respectively) just made it a great. Probably my fave RP so far (of the advice columns that is).

Though I'm offended by 'those junk majors'. My mom did Philosophy Masters and I'm doing Political Science out of actual interest! Sheesh!
Ray's response made me happy though!
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: Schabe on August 05, 2003, 03:01:14 pm
Yeah, well, my Social Sciences degree isn't doing any more for me than my English degree.  Fuck YOU, liberal arts!  (heheh, just kidding. I don't know math anyway).

Anyway, yeah, this one was great, too.  In fact, I've really enjoyed all the Ray writings from start to finish.  Here is a not-so-confidential message to J with the bar: I will come over and help you decide what you need as long as you furnish me with some booze.  And maybe for my brother.  He goes to CU-Boulder and likes to drink (go figure!).  But I am the one with actual bar experience, so it would more be out of pity to invite him.  Okay, you probably don't even read this board, but just in case, i figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Also: The New Yorker uses umlauts for "reemphasize"?? how come?
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: Capn on August 05, 2003, 03:21:54 pm
He answered half of my question this week.  The probative one.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: weeeeee on August 05, 2003, 04:02:31 pm
that entire thing about the led album covers was great. I actually laughed.
Title: umlaut
Post by: satchel on August 05, 2003, 04:10:23 pm
In English we use the diaeresis (not technically an umlaut) to indicate that a vowel gets separate pronunciation.

Ray’s finding his voice, he’s learning to work the joke better, instead of trying to actually answer questions. At first he probably planned to combine the humor with genuine answers, but now he’s realized the futility of taking any of it seriously. Over time we will laugh at the contrast between the legitimate questions and Ray’s glib answers.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: Schabe on August 05, 2003, 05:18:29 pm
Since when did a simple "re-" (with dash) stop being enough?  Have I been living a lie?
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: slink on August 05, 2003, 05:22:16 pm
*puts on Muppets- Rainbow Connection*

Knew there was a reason other Ray gave me a copy of that.
:shock: hang on - cutting wit, listens to rainbow connection too much... My Ray is Ray Ray!

And oh...
Quote from: "Schabe"
Since when did a simple "re-" (with dash) stop being enough? Have I been living a lie?


Since pedantry in the media became as scary as my own!
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: slink on August 05, 2003, 05:40:54 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Schabe"
Since when did a simple "re-" (with dash) stop being enough? Have I been living a lie?


I refuse to be credited with a Schabe missive.  I'm not worthy.


ooops, sorry 'bout that! Now your post doesn't even make sense! Mwahahaha.
*chokes on the maniacal power laughter*
Title: Yay!
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 05, 2003, 06:44:12 pm
Yay! A muppets reference!! The nostalgia I was seeking has poked it's head in, even if Onstad hates me.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: ferocious j on August 05, 2003, 06:46:25 pm
The way Ray keeps learning new things about the internet (like his lesson about people sending in pictures) and the little scenes he tosses into his answers (Ray vs. Lyle pissing contest, the snail bit) are like the icing on a cake of funny.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 05, 2003, 06:53:12 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
The way Ray keeps learning new things about the internet (like his lesson about people sending in pictures) and the little scenes he tosses into his answers (Ray vs. Lyle pissing contest, the snail bit) are like the icing on a cake of funny.

God I hope it's not a bundt cake of funny.. a Carrot cake of funny would be.. well, funny.. Oh, yeah, also hope it's not a bukkake :shock:
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: slink on August 05, 2003, 07:06:13 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
The way Ray keeps learning new things about the internet (like his lesson about people sending in pictures) and the little scenes he tosses into his answers (Ray vs. Lyle pissing contest, the snail bit) are like the icing on a cake of funny.


I did love Ray avoiding a hernia. And the photos:"Send me a wedding photo or just some stuff of you swimming or whatever." was excellent... for some reason... just the flow of the line, the innocence straight into the blasse seediness.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: CortJstr on August 05, 2003, 07:43:37 pm
Quote from: "satchel"
Ray’s finding his voice, he’s learning to work the joke better, instead of trying to actually answer questions. At first he probably planned to combine the humor with genuine answers, but now he’s realized the futility of taking any of it seriously. Over time we will laugh at the contrast between the legitimate questions and Ray’s glib answers.


Agreed. I really think it's a good way of harnessing Ray's increasing annoyance with the letters. Start with the good, actual questions then progress through the column with the lame, more annoying, "have some dignity" questions, as well as ones that just lend themselves to funny answers.

Also, the pissing contest was a great bit.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: yahnai on August 05, 2003, 08:14:34 pm
Man.  I love the comic, and Ray's Place is hands-down hilarious.  I hope this "variety hour" nonsense is also good.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: jough on August 05, 2003, 09:04:31 pm
I think the Variety Hour will pick up once Onstad finds his groove with it.

I mean, Ray's Place just keeps getting funnier and more of a single "voice" that he's developed with Ray.

I love the part about him denying that he's the father of Tiny's children.
Title: Re: umlaut
Post by: jay-ell on August 05, 2003, 09:08:07 pm
Quote from: "satchel"
Over time we will laugh at the contrast between the legitimate questions and Ray’s glib answers.


I'm wondering why you put this in future tense?
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: jough on August 05, 2003, 09:09:35 pm
Because he's forseeing that eventually the questions will grow more serious and the answers more glib.

Hence, the future.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: jay-ell on August 05, 2003, 09:39:29 pm
Thanks for sucking what little humor there was left in my belated and ill-phrased joke.  

For those of you just tuning in, the joke was that I *already* laugh at the contrast between the legitimate questions and Ray’s glib answers.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: jough on August 05, 2003, 10:13:38 pm
Yeah, we didn't really get that from your phrasing.

And by "we," I mean everyone on the board.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: slink on August 05, 2003, 10:53:14 pm
$MEOW$ anybody?
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: V-Adore on August 05, 2003, 11:15:02 pm
Quote from: "slink"
$MEOW$ anybody?

$MEOW$ is beautiful -- it's the distillation of Ray's self-awareness and self-opinion in one word.

Today's RP was very good anyway, but I especially enjoyed watching Ray ramble on about his personal issues. One moment, he's barely concealing his desire to brag about his stereo system, and the next he's freely telling stories about snails crawling in his mouth -- Ray's essential shamelessness manifesting on both ends of the spectrum. Glorious, hilarious stuff.

That, and the abortion story has ensured that I won't be able to listen to "Brick" for a while without picturing Ray in my head.
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: slink on August 05, 2003, 11:51:03 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "slink"
$MEOW$ anybody?

$MEOW$ is beautiful -- it's the distillation of Ray's self-awareness and self-opinion in one word.


Just in case that was an explanation and not just a statement, I was just meaning a Ray style meow in catty terms referring to Jough's last post there...
Anyhow, I must get to sleep before dawn tonight!
Title: RP 8/5/03
Post by: slink on August 08, 2003, 01:14:11 pm
Well, I thought it was such a good RP, that I sent it to my mom (who has enjoyed the odd strip that I've sent her). She ended up laughing so much while reading it that she's decided now she has to get into visiting Achewood more often and going through the archives.
Always nice to spread the 'wood!
(OK given who, I guess that was a mighty unfortunate phrase...)