The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jough on March 04, 2004, 06:48:28 am

Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: jough on March 04, 2004, 06:48:28 am
Happy Army Day, everyone.

Does anyone have anything special planned?
Title: Re: Happy Army Day!
Post by: slink on March 04, 2004, 12:39:45 pm
Quote from: "jough"

Does anyone have anything special planned?


I'm going to dig a big hole in my garden, pee in it then climb in. I might spend the whole day there, through til the morning. All heating the cheapest beans and hot dog parts in a rusting canteen.
Then I might set off some nice fireworks next to my head and try my best to lose a finger or two to frostbite.

What the hell's army day anyway?

And, coincedentally I am bound to play some Call of Duty today, so I can at least pretend I'm doing the above.
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: andalucia on March 04, 2004, 12:50:21 pm
America Is Weird.
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 04, 2004, 01:59:29 pm
Boo Army!  Yay Navy!
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2004, 02:16:32 pm
Um, I'll learn the phonetic alphabet. So I can talk like an army guy. And stuff.

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: jough on March 04, 2004, 04:14:06 pm
It's March 4th.  You know, like "March forth!"

I don't know why I waste my time with you people...
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2004, 04:40:10 pm
Eh. Let me know when's it's Towel Day. Or did I miss it?
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: AugustWest on March 04, 2004, 04:46:05 pm
Towel Day?  When's Towel Day -- 4/2?

Or would it be February 11th, the 42d day of the year?
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2004, 05:33:17 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Towel Day?  When's Towel Day -- 4/2?

Or would it be February 11th, the 42d day of the year?


I'm not sure. I'm thinking either the 42nd day which is indeed Feb 11 or Feb 4 since most of the world writes it as 4/2. Although if an American started the idea it may very well be April 2.
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: slink on March 04, 2004, 07:23:13 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Towel Day?  When's Towel Day -- 4/2?

Or would it be February 11th, the 42d day of the year?


Both. Any time 42 can possibly crop up in the year it is a day to remember.
Be it that the square root of the tangent of the angle created by a pigeon dropping a stick next to a fence, on july 9th, makes 42... It's good enough.

Oh and Jough... Really!
Dear me.
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: andalucia on March 04, 2004, 09:21:21 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
the phonetic alphabet


It (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YXZH/103-3181570-0631011?v=glance) all makes sense...
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2004, 09:25:55 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
the phonetic alphabet


It (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YXZH/103-3181570-0631011?v=glance) all makes sense...


I was just typing a reply saying basically, and this is a paraphrase: the hell?

But while in quote mode I noticed that "It" was actually a link.

Oh, and just to further clarify: Wilco means "will comply"
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: slink on March 04, 2004, 11:02:06 pm
I actually learnt the phonetic alphabet a few years back. Doesn't take much effort, and if you spend any time giving details over the phone for work, it becomes so much easier to do it by standard.
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: Choop on March 04, 2004, 11:19:12 pm
There are actually several standards, but I always say Less with the Learning and More with the Linking (http://www.depressedpress.com/DepressedPress/Content/ColdFusion/CustomTags/DP_AlphaWords/AlphaWordsExample.cfm).

Okay, I don't always say that, but whatever.
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: CortJstr on March 05, 2004, 12:31:03 am
Well the NATO is the current military standard. At least according to some .mil site I found and my dad who was in the army. He also says pilots use NATO and still say "niner."
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: slink on March 05, 2004, 12:45:29 am
You have to remember I am from the UK, where the standard, at least for the police, is the above posted list.
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 05, 2004, 02:20:35 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Well the NATO is the current military standard. At least according to some .mil site I found and my dad who was in the army. He also says pilots use NATO and still say "niner."


I am the Delta Niner

~PMCD9
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: jough on March 05, 2004, 04:12:29 am
And "tray" for "three."
Title: Happy Army Day!
Post by: St_Zartan on March 05, 2004, 08:49:15 am
Christ, if you people like Army Day, you will love Chinese Dentist Time.

IT'S ALL CHING CHONG ETC ETC