The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: palm trees on March 04, 2004, 01:35:25 pm
-
:D :D :D
i love how beef and teodor's computing is likely to be unrelated to anything in this storyline, but allows beef to say chubby.
-
Now I have a new way to order take-out. I think a webcam on the front yard, capturing the struggle, is a must.
-
Only 2.8GHz?
-
Photoshop does not load in under 4 seconds with a 3.2Ghz configuration like that.
-
Photoshop does not load in under 4 seconds with a 3.2Ghz configuration like that.
When you're Roast Beef it does. Photoshop is all, "is this fast enough, Beef?" And he's all, "no!"
-
I appreciate Beef's appreciation of the computer, if not any of its actual stats; I confess to also being the sort of person whose response is "that sounds nice" to computer stats like that instead of any real comprehension.
And Ray begins to go mercenary. Whee!
-
All I know is, at the end of the day: someone has to get fired.
-
Yo, there AIN'T no 12X DVD Burners out on the market yet. 12X read, maybe, but there sure as Hell ain't no 12X write. And if that drive's just a reader, the Teodor shouldn't really be bragging about it.
-
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=8971
-
Frank Herbert (http://www.gning.org/skiffy.html). Who knew?
-
I'm Arthur C. Clarke.
-
Just to note Jough - on my Barton 3200 at 400Mhz (which is for many tasks faster than Intel's 800Mhz) Photoshop loads in under 7 seconds.
And Photoshop is a program that runs better on Intel. But anyhow...
I totally dig this one. I love Ray's method of making the delivery guys compete. I wish they would do that kind of thing in real life, but I fear if I made them try no one would even turn up.
Maybe one day!
Olaf Stapledon. By the way. I was scared I was gonna be Heller or Orwell given how I started out.
-
I'm Gregory Benford.
-
I'm pretty sure Photoshop loads in six seconds on my home machine, but I don't recall its stats at all right now.
I have a feeling Ray's front yard will be littered with torn-off remnants of delivery uniforms and such by the end of the week -- the detritus of battle.
(looks like I'm Alfred Bester. I'm all The Stars My Destination, byatches!)*
* No idea what I'm trying to say there, actually.
-
I just timed it - Photoshop only takes 8 seconds to load on my machine (1.8Ghz Athlon) but it feels like longer.
It would probably be a lot faster if I didn't have so many filters and fonts installed - it seems to spend most of that load time loading them.
-
It would probably be a lot faster if I didn't have so many filters and fonts installed - it seems to spend most of that load time loading them.
Yea, that's the problem I have with it. And it is frustrating since 90% of the times I load it I just want an image editor real quick.
I have to reinstall windows tonight, what with it crashing all the time (I fear my GPU fan is sticking again) so I will check a fresh install's load time later. 'Cause I'm real sad.
And welcome back Fero... All's well I guess?
-
There's a trick with Acrobat where if you hold the Shift key while it's opening it will load without loading any plugins. I wonder if it works with Photoshop too?
EDIT: Nope.
-
I, too, am Gregory Benford.
and this should inspire Onstad to add a penquin character:
http://andrewg1323.uk.ro/ping.swf
also my high score is 1118.3
-
apparently, i am "This page requires JavaScript."
am i the ONLY one who thinks no page should ever require javascript?
-
I'm Heinlein today. I am pretty sure I gave the same answers as yesterday but yesterday I was a writer I have never heard of - wrote about dystopias...Brunner?
-
It's a shame we probably won't get to see how Lazarus eats his teriyaki.
-
I just hope this doesn't turn into one of those fora where every single member has like 16 grapics in their sig all saying things like "You Are: Neo/Hulk Hogan/Boromir/Rygel" with a fancy graphic and quick paragraph. That would be sad.
-
I'm William Gibson. Not precisely what I expected, but hey.
On-topic: can Lazarus even eat? This is actually a pretty big paradox: what is the interest of a tasseled loafer in mass capitalism when a loafer cannot participate in consumption, the greatest duty and greatest reward of capitalism? Is it just an academic thing for Lazarus?!
... wow, pretentious.
-
am i the ONLY one who thinks no page should ever require javascript?
I was about to link you to a discussion we had on the subject. But it was you who started it anyway, so I won't bother!
-
Another Benford. Maybe I should read this guy's work.
-
I just hope this doesn't turn into one of those fora where every single member has like 16 grapics in their sig all saying things like "You Are: Neo/Hulk Hogan/Boromir/Rygel" with a fancy graphic and quick paragraph. That would be sad.
OK but can Asherdan PLEASE put that thing back in his sig so that this thread makes a TINY bit of sense?
-
I was a Polish man I'd not heard of, but the description was ok.
-
I was a Polish man I'd not heard of, but the description was ok.
By any chance, were you Stanislaw Lem? I mostly gave up reading SF, but there's always a warm spot in my heart for Lem (and Phillip K Dick, and a few others).
I am Hal Clement it seems, but then I wasn't very honest in my answeres (because the right ones were not available). Never heard of him...
-
WHO? (http://www.gning.org/skiffy_result.html?t)
-
Yet another Gregory Benford. I've never heard of him. This site isn't hosted by Gregorybenford.com by any chance is it?
~Paul
-
OK but can Asherdan PLEASE put that thing back in his sig so that this thread makes a TINY bit of sense?
I'm a big sap for 'please'.
Wow, I just sent that sucker sailing 880 feet.
~Paul
-
I was a Polish man I'd not heard of, but the description was ok.
By any chance, were you Stanislaw Lem?
That's the one. I'm not by any means hip to the sci-fi scene, but I'm going to have to look out for this fellow, seeing as he is I and all.
-
That's the one. I'm not by any means hip to the sci-fi scene, but I'm going to have to look out for this fellow, seeing as he is I and all.
Lem is well worth checking out. I can't remember the book I loved by him, but he can be very good.
-
WHO? (http://www.gning.org/skiffy_result.html?t)
James Tiptree, Jr. is well worth checking out. He was really a she, and produced mostly in the 70's. She specialized in short stories, many of which had sexual themes. One that comes immediately to mind is Houston, Houston Do You Read which involved some astronauts discovering a lost colony where males had long since become extinct. Good stuff.
Here's some info. (http://www.tiptree.org/) Also here. (http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/gizmo/dec22.html)
-
Thanks, August. I can get in bed with anybody who gives Nicola Griffith an award (1993). I love Griffith's work. The Blue Place had me at the opening line: "The sidewalks in Inman Park are made of hexagons, many of which are broken and crooked and slippery." Or something. I know Inman Park very well; it's a neighborhood I used to work in and still hang out in. Then her story turned out to be fantastic - I was hooked almost as fast as I was on Terry Pratchett and Discworld.
heh-heh. Get in bed.
-
i am h.g. wells, apparently for no reason at all
-
"Lord please have mercy on this one man's soul." That is definitely the voice of a paranoid schitzophrenic. Poor poor Beef, his mind is a terrible mess.
~Paul
-
I love what I've read of James Tiptree Jr. / Alice Sheldon. And whaddaya know, my two favorite stories of hers are available online: The Screwfly Solution (http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11090/3050/Stories/screwfly.html)and The Last Flight of Dr. Ain (http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11090/3050/Stories/drain.html).
-
Ursula K. LeGuin. :idea:
-
Samuel Delaney! And I was reading the "Neveryon" series awhile back, and I dug it although some was bewildering, and sure as fuck not sci-fi!
-
back to the important stuff
I'm running photoshop on a dual 2 gig G5 and it loads in a blink. Why would you all rape photoshop by running it on a windows machine.
why would you do that?
-
why would you do that?
Word.
**Lovingly strokes her 12" G4 laptop**
-
I am Hal Clement it seems, but then I wasn't very honest in my answeres (because the right ones were not available). Never heard of him...
Hal Clement wrote mostly "hard" sf, with both the good and bad aspects that subgenre implies; when he was on, you could believe that This Is What It Would Be Like to talk to someone from a race that had evolved on a massive-gravity planet or whatnot, and when he was off you kind of got the impression that he was more interested in the physics and biology of what was going on than the characters in his story (or, at least, these are the feelings I got.) "Iceworld" and "Mission Of Gravity" are standard Hal Clement Recommended Reading. I met him at a couple of conventions, and he was pretty cool to talk to and gave excellent presentations on designing biologically viable alien races and habitable planets. Sadly, he died this past November.
-
why would you do that?
Because nasty as windows is, it's not MacOS!
Nothing I need runs in MacOS (9 or X). And I still don't much like it anyway.
At least 2k is nice and utilitarian.
When I do use Macs, I pray it's OSX, but even so.
Unfortunately all the macs I use are a little out of date (G4 and all).
And, to go along with Jough's stating of things, my um-friend was Ursula LeGuin too. She had no idea who she was, not being a sci-fi/fantasy fan and all.
Dear me.
-
I love what I've read of James Tiptree Jr. / Alice Sheldon. And whaddaya know, my two favorite stories of hers are available online: The Screwfly Solution (http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11090/3050/Stories/screwfly.html)and The Last Flight of Dr. Ain (http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11090/3050/Stories/drain.html).
All I have to say about this is that, having read these in the morning of what went on to be a crappy day (albeit not as monumentally crappy as anything written there), I feel vaguely ill at the thought of reading any more Tiptree. Also I want to go read something with a happy ending.