The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on August 01, 2003, 09:27:38 am

Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: jough on August 01, 2003, 09:27:38 am
Well, it took me four hours, but I made a logo for this beeeotch.  See above.

I know it's a little crowded, but as I kept adding layers, adding more characters, I realised that I left out one of my favourites.  So I had to add another.

Then I realised that I needed Todd and Blister.  And then I thought Ray MUST have a martini (and even though it's very tiny I actually put a green olive and a little tiny red pimento dot in there too - plus a little cocktail sword - you can tell I'm really fuck*ng proud of my martini glass - and the fact that I erased the part where Ray's hand is so that it looks like he's holding it).

You have to understand, kids, that my graphical talents are near zip.  But I tried to rise to the occasion.  I hope I didn't make it too ugly.  I pretty much found poses that I liked in old strips and then copied them.  I made the characters mostly whole and really big, and then made them small and erased the parts that would work.  I thought I'd be clever by having Lyle's arm, Ray's elbow and glass, phillipe's hands (only hand now because I accidentally moved his layer *behind* beef, and I'm not going back to change it now) and of course Beef's monitor, which everyone is crowded around, go over the black line there.

Anyway, I'm awfully proud of my logo as you can tell.  You can flame all you want but you CANNOT TAKE AWAY my sense of satisfaction at a job done.

and the words "The OFFICIAL Unofficial" use the same font that Onstad uses for the dialogue (and obviously the achewood logo font is in there too).

The hardest part, of course, was figuring out who would stand behind whom.

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN

-- Jough

Edited to make this un-sticky.
Title: Re: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: Jugwine on August 01, 2003, 12:59:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You have to understand, kids, that my graphical talents are near zip.


Stop telling lies!  You are obviously very talented because that logo is basically perfect.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2003, 01:16:39 pm
Once again, you rock.  That must be twice, three times in one 24 hour period.  Are you going for a record or something.

What next, are you gonna start a web comic?
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 01:38:44 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Once again, you rock.  That must be twice, three times in one 24 hour period.  Are you going for a record or something.

What next, are you gonna start a web comic?


For his next trick he'll be sending us all $100 savings bonds
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: arlucasinc on August 01, 2003, 01:40:38 pm
Dude, that logo kicks.

Nice one.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: Schabe on August 01, 2003, 01:44:06 pm
Word up.  Excellent work.  As someone who pretends to know something about graphics (but secretly sucks ass at Illustrator and the like), you did an awesome job.
Title: Hear hear!
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 01:55:35 pm
You rock, Jough.  The logo rocks the casbah.  Once I play with the color scheme for the board and hook up some custom smilies, we're gonna have a pretty hott lookin' board up in this piece.
Title: And for that matter, where are Mr. Bear's hands?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on August 01, 2003, 03:21:13 pm
Is Lie-Bot's hand holding up Blister?

Super duper rockin'-uper logo.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: Capn on August 01, 2003, 03:33:03 pm
Where the F*** is the AIDS Sock Monkey?  You suck!

Ha ha, no, just kidding.  It is the best comic-related forum logo ever.  Nice work.
Title: Re: Hear hear!
Post by: Capn on August 01, 2003, 03:34:39 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
hook up some custom smilies,


I would like to help with this, if you want.  Post or PM me the parameters.
Title: monkey
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 03:35:22 pm
Quote from: "Capn"
Where the F*** is the AIDS Sock Monkey?  You suck!


Yeah man.  What gives?  

I couldn't resist.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: jough on August 01, 2003, 03:42:49 pm
It's funny you should say that, because I was GOING To include the beatnik AIDS monkey but room was already pretty tight.  I guess I could've made it a *little* wider, now that I'm looking at it.

And I still can, of course.  That's why Jesus invented the PSD file, and Photoshop.

And no, blister is just floating there, but yeah, maybe I'll ERASE THE *****'S HANDS!!!

And if I do change anything I'm totally going to move Philippe back up to the front so you can see his left hand.

With 19 layers those things tend to get lost in the shuffle.

I tried to make everyone look surprised by moving the eyebrows like that, but I'm not sure if it worked.  They all look kinda stoned to me.

-- Jough
Title: Yes, great logo.
Post by: MSC on August 01, 2003, 04:33:43 pm
Yes, it is a great logo.  Nice work, and quick too.  But I admit mostly I am making this post to double check that my avatar works.

Edit:  Sorry, tried to delete this but don't know how on this board ye.
Title: Deleting posts.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 04:39:19 pm
Last checkbox under the "edit" window.  But don't worry about deleting "test" posts at this point.  There will be plenty of them.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: Choop on August 01, 2003, 04:47:08 pm
and here's another!

hope i didn't piss off anybody who's cool enough to come here back when i was allowed to type on the old board.

how's that avatar looking? huh? huh?

congrats and thanks, jld and jough!
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: Vinz Clortho on August 01, 2003, 05:03:34 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
how's that avatar looking? huh? huh?


Proper, Choop.

PROPER.
Title: Re: Yes, great logo.
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 05:17:19 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
Edit:  Sorry, tried to delete this but don't know how on this board ye.


Quote from: "Bottom of the screen, yo"
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum
Title: ::gives props::
Post by: ferocious j on August 01, 2003, 05:49:14 pm
That logo really is quite something.  Something good.
Title: Re: Yes, great logo.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 06:27:47 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "MSC"
Edit:  Sorry, tried to delete this but don't know how on this board ye.


Quote from: "Bottom of the screen, yo"
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum


Oh.  I'll take a look at that, then.  

Thanks for posting these kinds of things.  Do me a favor, though, and PM me or put them in "community."  I'm more likely to see and respond promptly.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 06:32:13 pm
I've changed the permissions for this forum only.  Can somebody check to see if they can delete posts now?  Hopefully you can delete only your own?  

I can't tell because I have full access to everything anyway.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 06:34:52 pm
Delete Successful!

(I'm only posting it here so nobody else has to bother trying)
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 06:39:36 pm
Neat.  Can you delete others' posts as well?  Because I can, but I don't trust you guys with that kind of power.
Title: Hella nice
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 01, 2003, 06:51:06 pm
Nice logo! Can we start arguing about what they're all looking at on Beef's PC? The Bash a Bum web site? A streaming video of the new Lara Croft movie trailer? :wink:
Title: deleting
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 01, 2003, 06:52:08 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Neat.  Can you delete others' posts as well?  Because I can, but I don't trust you guys with that kind of power.

No, I'm unable to delete other's posts. So that looks ok.
Title: Re: Hella nice
Post by: Capn on August 01, 2003, 07:27:16 pm
Quote from: "The Wonderous Me"
Nice logo! Can we start arguing about what they're all looking at on Beef's PC?


There is no debate:
http://www.fao.com/
Title: Re: Hella nice
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 08:21:18 pm
Quote from: "The Wonderous Me"
Nice logo! Can we start arguing about what they're all looking at on Beef's PC?


I just assumed that like all sane people they were spending their days here.
Title: Re: Hella nice
Post by: jough on August 01, 2003, 08:56:09 pm
Quote from: "The Wonderous Me"
Nice logo! Can we start arguing about what they're all looking at on Beef's PC? The Bash a Bum web site? A streaming video of the new Lara Croft movie trailer? :wink:


I thought it was obvious: they're all reading the Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board.
Title: Re: Hella nice
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 01, 2003, 09:09:34 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "The Wonderous Me"
Nice logo! Can we start arguing about what they're all looking at on Beef's PC? The Bash a Bum web site? A streaming video of the new Lara Croft movie trailer? :wink:


I thought it was obvious: they're all reading the Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board.


See there, logic shines through again! I like this forum better already. The colors are nice and cool, and you can't beat that logo.. well you could but it might scratch yer monitor
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 04:44:54 am
I changed the logo a little, moving Philippe to the front where he belongs, I moved vlad in front of the logo title (slightly) saved it as a gif instead of a jpeg which made the file size smaller...

oh yeah, and there's another character in there now. ;)

Complain away.

-- Jough
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: slink on August 02, 2003, 06:39:06 am
No complaints from me. Took me a moment, after a moderate yelp of shock once I saw the green outline had changed to red, but apart from that...
The realigment of the characters works well though.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 06:41:21 am
Quote from: "slink"
Took me a moment, after a moderate yelp of shock once I saw the green outline had changed to red.


It was a blue-green when the board colours were blue-green, but now that it's all grey I figured I'd reduce the number of colours needed for the .gif file to keep the file-size down.

Plus, I like the red.
Title: It's a perfect... LOGO.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 08:23:43 pm
We've got two logo threads, so one of them's got to go.  

Wish I could merge them.  Sorry.