The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on March 10, 2004, 01:55:26 pm

Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2004, 01:55:26 pm
I can't believe Ray remembered to throw the bubbles line back at Teodor. Awesome.

And hey, at least Ray stayed within the Bill of Rights. For him that's pretty impressive.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 10, 2004, 02:07:26 pm
Do I have to start listening to the Cure now?  Dammit!
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: V-Adore on March 10, 2004, 03:17:39 pm
However tiring and banal this storyline is getting, I do like Teodor quoting the Tenth Amendment at Ray. Especially the "enumerated" part.

That's a quality word, you know? "Enumerated." I may have to use it more.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: revdj on March 10, 2004, 03:19:34 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Do I have to start listening to the Cure now?  Dammit!


No!  The Cure is silly!  Stop listening to them!
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2004, 03:24:17 pm
At this point, I am professionally obligated to state, "The Tenth Amendment is a truism."


Thank you, I'll be here all week.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: V-Adore on March 10, 2004, 03:51:21 pm
Well, sure it's a truism. But most political theory notes that backing up truism with law is generally a sound idea.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: Bozack on March 10, 2004, 04:38:15 pm
I....I'm failing US Government.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: MSC on March 10, 2004, 04:51:53 pm
You can tell Ray is a Republican and Teodor is a Democrat by where they play golf.  Ray's course is beautifully manicured and has a lovely mountain view.  T's, however, is scrubby and has no view.  Clearly, a public course.  

Also, Ray's club is probably restricted and doesn't allow bears.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 10, 2004, 04:56:53 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Well, sure it's a truism. But most political theory notes that backing up truism with law is generally a sound idea.


Laws exist principally to keep good boys good.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 10, 2004, 05:14:09 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
At this point, I am professionally obligated to state, "The Tenth Amendment is a truism."


Clearly delineating the rights and prerogatives of individual states was of vital importance.  Even if it could be assumed that "states get everything else," you still have to have it in writing or at some point some federalist will assume that "states get nothing we don't specifically give them."  In this game, every rule is important.

...except that one about natural born citizens.  Go Arnold!
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2004, 05:16:05 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
At this point, I am professionally obligated to state, "The Tenth Amendment is a truism."


Clearly delineating the rights and prerogatives of individual states was of vital importance.  Even if it could be assumed that "states get everything else," you still have to have it in writing or at some point some federalist will assume that "states get nothing we don't specifically give them."  In this game, every rule is important.[/size]


Otherwise you get into arguments like "the Constitution doesn't say only men and women can get married!" "Yeah, well, it doesn't say two men can either!" And that just devolves into noogies.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2004, 05:53:35 pm
It's been a around 15 years since I've had Constitutional Law.  I certainly won't debate the necessity for including the 10th amendment in the Bill of Rights.  However, the point of "The 10th Amendment is a Truism" is that since (if I recall correctly) the late 19th century, the Supreme Court has interpreted the 10th amendment to mean "You get to keep everything we don't take away from you."
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2004, 05:54:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"


Otherwise you get into arguments like "the Constitution doesn't say only men and women can get married!" "Yeah, well, it doesn't say two men can either!" And that just devolves into noogies.


Actually, this is more what the 9th Amendment tries to accomplish.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: wombat on March 10, 2004, 06:01:35 pm
So the 9th amendment outlaws noogies?
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2004, 06:38:37 pm
Exactly.  It's because of the 9th Amendment that Lisa Loopner was able to send Todd DiLaMuca to a Federal Penitentiary for at least 7 but no more than 14 years.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: jough on March 10, 2004, 06:39:05 pm
No, it requires them.

I'm so happy that a web comic has instigated Constitutional debate.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2004, 08:23:33 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Exactly.  It's because of the 9th Amendment that Lisa Loopner was able to send Todd DiLaMuca to a Federal Penitentiary for at least 7 but no more than 14 years.


Yeah but she totally taunted him with her misquito bites. And their parents, who were totally getting it on, would've forced them to reconcile.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: Paisley on March 11, 2004, 01:04:16 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Clearly delineating the rights and prerogatives of individual states was of vital importance [...] [/size]


Funny that the Tenth Amendment was invoked, since States' rights was something that Cheney brought up when he said that he supported the President on the anti-marriage amendment (viz the AP story (http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/news/8088948.htm)), having been given a chance to object, if he wanted to, as Teodor does in the strip.

This was the most political strip I think I've ever seen in Achewood. Probably the only one.
Title: Mad Suds Popping All Around Me - Mar 10
Post by: doomglobe on March 11, 2004, 02:52:07 am
Quote from: "MSC"
You can tell Ray is a Republican and Teodor is a Democrat by where they play golf.  Ray's course is beautifully manicured and has a lovely mountain view.  T's, however, is scrubby and has no view.  Clearly, a public course.  

Also, Ray's club is probably restricted and doesn't allow bears.


interesting take, I thought that they were on the same course, and Ray was on the green and Téodor was in the rough. Still symbolic of their political angles, but more of a repercussive metaphor. I actually assumed they were playing with eachother the whole time.