The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: misterhaan on March 10, 2004, 08:31:44 pm
-
i know most of you pronounce 'achewood' in your heads whenever you read it, so how does it sound to you? maybe we'll settle on an official unofficial pronunciation . . .
-
I totally do not comprehend this wayward third syllable concept. I have been saying it over and over in my mind trying to make it make sense, but to no avail.
-
What andalucia said.
-
it works if you're drunk and doing a mr. miyagi impression.
which is, of course, how everything sounds in my head when i read the internet.
-
It is a very simple compound word. I'm not sure how you pull an extra syllable out of that, but I figure the people who can do it are also the same people who find an extra "uh" in my last name where there is not.
Look, people, we already have enough "uh"s in the universe! "Uh" is not rare! We DO NOT NEED MORE.
-
When I first started reading the strip, back in ought-two, I'd see it as "ache-wood" (ake-wood) when reading the strip, but when it would appear in my browser history, I'd keep seeing it like a sneeze: "ahh-CHEW!-ud".
What amuses me is that the sneeze version is how people tend to sound it out when they try to read my "varsity"-style Achewood hoodie out loud.
Mouthbreathers.
-- PR
-
thanks to everyone for confirming my suspicion that i am the only person who reads achewood everyday and still can't get over thinking that the e is not silent . . . i'm trying to break the habit but for some reason cannont see it as ache-wood and not ach-e-wood. i blame french class.
anyway, the next thing i wonder is whether the name achewood actually means something--is there a reason it's called 'achewood' or could it just as well be called 'shagcarpet'? sure there's mention of achewood mansion/estates, but i suppose if it were called shagcarpet then it would just be shagcarpet mansion/estates. so is there some meaning behind the name that i never picked up on?
-
is there some meaning behind the name that i never picked up on?
That would be here (http://www.achewood.com/about.php)
-
i was pretty sure i had read the about section before, but apparently i missed it for achewood . . . thanks!
-
Which is to say, he made up a word with a pleasing and memorable sound and the convincing-sounding explanation for it probably came later. You know damn well that The Dude Has Got an Incredible Facility for coining verbiage.
-
I can't see how French could cause that... 8 years of French Immersion Classes have fucked up my syntax and pronunciation significantly, but I can't even begin to think what the francophone pronunciation of Achewood might sound like.
-
I can't see how French could cause that... 8 years of French Immersion Classes have fucked up my syntax and pronunciation significantly, but I can't even begin to think what the francophone pronunciation of Achewood might sound like.
Rendered phoenetically, I think it would sound something like:
Thur-OAT-war-bler Man-GROW-vuh