The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on March 11, 2004, 05:34:09 pm

Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 05:34:09 pm
Okay kids.

I have sent out discs to the following:

V-Adore
Limmo
sjlimmer
andalucia
pmcd9
Asherdan
carlosdelvaca
starlight
Bozack
Mite
jldunston

AlohaDawg has also expressed interest, but since he has not PMed me with his address he is SOL.

If I have missed anyone who would also like a set, I have three more still available, first come, first served.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 07:32:54 pm
Oh, and AugustWest, who's getting a special disc with nothing but Bolton.  Just two and a half hours of "When a Man Loves a Woman."
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2004, 08:33:08 pm
So, you're basically admitting that you own at least two and half hours of Bolton...

Yikes.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 09:25:50 pm
Well, as I said, it's just 24 tracks of the same song.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 11, 2004, 09:33:38 pm
Never before in my life have I felt so sorry for August. I would, perhaps, feel more sorry were this all-Bolton CD somehow treated to make it automatically jump into a CD player and disable all muting options.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 09:54:55 pm
I actually sent it to his wife, and offered her $5,000 if she'd play it non-stop whenever August was home.

For a month.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2004, 10:03:24 pm
Woo Hoo! Five Grand!

Hot Dogs for everybody!
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 11, 2004, 11:11:44 pm
Jough is my new favorite evil mastermind! ... wait, I'm not sure how new it is. But hey.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 02:27:12 am
Hideous wealth is the only thing keeping me from being a Bond villain.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: CortJstr on March 12, 2004, 02:29:43 am
Quote from: "jough"
Hideous wealth is the only thing keeping me from being a Bond villain.


And one of main purposes of being a Bond villain is aquiring hideous wealth. Don't you hate those situations?
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 02:40:29 am
Quote from: "jough"
Hideous wealth is the only thing keeping me from being a Bond villain.


I'm sorry, but do you mean the absence or presence of hideous wealth?  

If it's presence, I take back all those mean things I said about you.  Pal.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 04:34:33 am
Yeah, I actually had a hard time trying to figure out how to word that one.

The absence of holding a hideous amount of wealth is the only thing keeping me from becoming a Bond villain.

It just doesn't ring.

I WILL WORK ON THIS LINE
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: Choop on March 12, 2004, 04:45:29 am
How about:

Lack of hideous wealth is the only thing keeping me from becoming a Bond villain.


?


Signed,
Choop R. Nickel
Professional Phraseologist
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 05:49:48 am
Poverty precludes me from heading S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

Heh.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: St_Zartan on March 12, 2004, 06:18:44 am
Actual Elementary School Quote: I saw the episode of Inspector Gadget where they showed Dr. Claw's face; if you give me five dollars I'll draw it for you.

The real money is in being the exclusive sleeping gas dealer to these quasi-terrorist groups. Apparently, M.A.D. and K.A.O.S. alone go through more in thirty minutes than a dentist will in five years.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 01:24:30 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Actual Elementary School Quote: I saw the episode of Inspector Gadget where they showed Dr. Claw's face; if you give me five dollars I'll draw it for you.

Wow, that is all mad third-grade conning, yo.

Unless there actually was an episode where they showed Dr. Claw's face. If so, how did I miss it?
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: Bozack on March 12, 2004, 04:00:57 pm
siiiigggghhh....
They never actually showed his face on the cartoon; HOWEVER.
There was an official Dr. Claw action figure. WITH EXPOSED FACE.
And here he is:
(http://www.midnightsociety.com/web/Finds/Shopping/Drclaw/DrClaw.jpg)
And a close up on his face:
(http://www.midnightsociety.com/web/Finds/Shopping/Drclaw/ClawFace.jpg)
Wow...with all of the comic-bookery, and now this.....not even Jesus can help me now.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 04:08:24 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
(Dr. Claw action figure)

... Wow. I have beheld the majesty. And it's... more or less appropriate.

Anyway, I haven't gotten Jough's mixdisc yet. Either it's still en route or (my current conspiracy theory) my mail is being hoarded greedily by Mailroom Gnomes.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: CortJstr on March 12, 2004, 05:36:32 pm
Apparently my company censorware is blocking the images. They must horribly obscene.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 05:58:05 pm
I just mailed them yesterday, for fuck's sake.  I wouldn't expect them until Saturday at LEAST.

I also realise that I forgot to include the six pages of write-ups about my notes for each track, so I will spin-off a new thread soon where I will simply post these things.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 06:06:35 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I just mailed them yesterday, for fuck's sake.  I wouldn't expect them until Saturday at LEAST.

Well, fair enough. My mail paranoia was just already piqued by the non-arrival of a few other things, so this was presumably a false alarm. I shall watch, though.

Quote
I also realise that I forgot to include the six pages of write-ups about my notes for each track, so I will spin-off a new thread soon where I will simply post these things.

Score!
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: andalucia on March 12, 2004, 09:05:59 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Dr. Claw photos...


Meh, somehow I am not thinking the face fits so well with his delightfully Waitsian voice.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: Bozack on March 12, 2004, 09:22:04 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Meh, somehow I am not thinking the face fits so well with his delightfully Waitsian voice.

Yeah, actually, I can't watch "Mystery Train" without thinking, during the radio parts, "I'LL GET YOU, GADGET!" That guy looks more like Dr. Brown than Dr. Claw.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: St_Zartan on March 13, 2004, 01:24:26 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
There was an official Dr. Claw action figure. WITH EXPOSED FACE.


Hell, I was way off. I hope no one comes around wanting their money back.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 13, 2004, 02:48:36 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Bozack"
There was an official Dr. Claw action figure. WITH EXPOSED FACE.


Hell, I was way off. I hope no one comes around wanting their money back.

All I can say is that that would be the best lawsuit in the history of the world. Screw the McDonald's guy! Let's see a disgruntled former third-grader sue another former third-grader for the $5 spent on a fraudulent depiction of Dr. Claw!
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: St_Zartan on March 13, 2004, 04:13:10 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Let's see a disgruntled former third-grader sue another former third-grader for the $5 spent on a fraudulent depiction of Dr. Claw!


I certainly hope that "too bad, I spent it on G.I.Joes" is a viable defense. Interest rates these days are just a grade-A motherfucker. In related news, the recently released G.I.Joe DVDs are godhead.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: andalucia on March 14, 2004, 12:06:20 am
What'd yours look like, Zartan?  Out of curiosity...
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: St_Zartan on March 15, 2004, 05:14:10 am
This is embarassingly lazy; I claim youth and (relative) innocence as my defense:

I basically drew the M.A.D. symbol - you know, that squashed horned demon looking thing - and added hair, pupils, more teeth, and (sigh) a necktie.

What the hell--? I know, I know. But dammit, it was if nothing else plausible. I mean if we were to believe that the same two Laurel and Hardy M.A.D. agents did the job literally day after day, picturing the Big Guy Himself as some sort of ahem cartoonish scaryhead thing wasn't a stretch. Plus Voltron came on right before Inspector Gadget, so, you know. IT CERTAINLY WASN'T RUPERT fuck*ng EVERETT
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: andalucia on March 15, 2004, 04:34:25 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
This is embarassingly lazy; I claim youth and (relative) innocence as my defense:

I basically drew the M.A.D. symbol - you know, that squashed horned demon looking thing - and added hair, pupils, more teeth, and (sigh) a necktie.


Menacing yet dignified... I like it.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 20, 2004, 01:25:38 am
I hate to take this thread back on-topic, but I got the mixdiscs a few days ago, and I'm digging thus far. I'm not entirely sure the title is accurate on the first disc (has anyone in history intentionally played "They're Going to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha" during lovemaking? If so, why?), but it's a good mix nonetheless.

Also, I have been attempting to acquire "Dark Globe" in some form or another since the days of gnute, and now it lies in my hot little hand. Thanks, jough.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: andalucia on March 20, 2004, 02:58:07 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, I have been attempting to acquire "Dark Globe" in some form or another since the days of gnute, and now it lies in my hot little hand. Thanks, jough.


Being International, I have not yet recieved my CDs.  This preview, however, bodes extremely well. I'm still surprised, although, at jough, for ending his title-clause with a preposition.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 03:57:27 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Also, I have been attempting to acquire "Dark Globe" in some form or another since the days of gnute, and now it lies in my hot little hand. Thanks, jough.


Yes, I was quite glad to see that I wasn't the only one to include a Syd Barrett track on my mix disk.

I've only made it through Vol. II so far.  Excellent, excellent, excellent.  What a wide variety of music I've never heard of mixed with the delightfully familiar.  You rock, El Guapo!
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 03:58:58 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I'm still surprised, although, at jough, for ending his title-clause with a preposition.


Because, as we all know, a preposition is a terrible thing with which to end a sentence.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: andalucia on March 20, 2004, 04:24:38 am
Well it iiiis.  At least on such a grammatically discerning board.  

Anyways, I just went and got the mail, which included Jough's lovely CDs.  I say lovely because they overlap to a ridiculous extent (5 songs) with today's playlist.  (Granted, I was working at the computer all day, but still), and the inclusion of MOHAMMED RAFI.  A thousand thanks to Jough.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 20, 2004, 06:01:48 am
Admittedly, I hear a lot of new music through movie soundtracks, or else am reminded of older songs through movies.  For instance, hearing Bill Murray sing "More Than This" in "Lost in Translation" prompted my re-digging out the old Roxy Music.

I am, however, disappointed that I don't get a poll like everyone else's discs did.

And it's fine to end a sentence, a preposition with.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 06:04:47 am
Quote from: "jough"

And it's fine to end a sentence, a preposition with.


Only if Yoda, you are.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2004, 06:46:14 am
Quote from: "jough"
I am, however, disappointed that I don't get a poll like everyone else's discs did.


Well maybe if you hadn't started your own thread you would have gotten a poll.

I got my disc a couple of days ago and i've waited until I had a chance to give it a good listen before I commented.  Ummm, how can I put this.  Jough, those are the best CD's you've ever sent me.

~Paul
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 20, 2004, 07:01:35 am
Feh.  You just don't know what good is. :P
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2004, 07:07:29 am
Quote from: "jough"
Feh.  You just don't know what good is. :P


Well that wasn't very clever.  I'm disapointed in you Jough, I thought for sure you of all people would come back with a really killer come back burn.

~Paul
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: andalucia on March 20, 2004, 03:14:16 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Admittedly, I hear a lot of new music through movie soundtracks


So you watched Ghost World, too?  I sorely hope so, as it is among my faves.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: Limmo on March 20, 2004, 10:57:42 pm
Jaan Pehechaan Ho is on the mix CDs?  Exxxxxxxxxcellent.  Guess I'll just have to wait until Monday.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 21, 2004, 06:42:39 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "jough"
Admittedly, I hear a lot of new music through movie soundtracks


So you watched Ghost World, too?  I sorely hope so, as it is among my faves.


Actually, I saw this great Bollywood film called Gumnaam.  Great dance number in the middle of a bad Agatha Christie type of murder mystery.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 21, 2004, 06:44:33 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Well that wasn't very clever.  I'm disapointed in you Jough, I thought for sure you of all people would come back with a really killer come back burn.


It's hard to want to really ZING someone who has such pitiably poor taste.

I WILL PRAY FOR YOU
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2004, 08:19:14 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It's hard to want to really ZING someone who has such pitiably poor taste.

I WILL PRAY FOR YOU


Now that's more like it.

~Paul
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 22, 2004, 02:21:57 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Yes, I was quite glad to see that I wasn't the only one to include a Syd Barrett track on my mix disk.


To be honest, it's the R.E.M. cover, which is to say it's absolutely Stipetastic. Lovely track, though.

Anyway... I hadn't connected Jaan Pehechaan Ho with Ghost World until now. I may have repressed it, like I did most of GW. Ah, well. Good track.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2004, 09:18:21 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not entirely sure the title is accurate on the first disc (has anyone in history intentionally played "They're Going to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha" during lovemaking? If so, why?), but it's a good mix nonetheless.


I'm pretty sure it's meant to be ironic.  I hope so at any rate, if not, it's a much too frightening glimpse at Jough's psyche.  Hmm, let's see, here's a song about a guy driven totally around the bend over the loss of a girl.  That ought to put her in the mood.  That's not the only ironic tune on the mix either.  One that really stands out is Give it to me Baby a song about a guy whom upon coming home drunk and belligerent from the bar proceeds to beg for sex from a disinterested partner who feigns sleep.  Knowing that the artist has spent time in prison for spousal abuse gives us a clue how this scene most likely played out.  And of course we have Hit me Baby One More Time to drive the point home.   There's also Runaway about a woman who has literally ran away and is hiding from her lover.  And the song is told from the point of view of the antagonist who naturally hasn't a clue why she's left.  Man, that's some sexy stuff.

~Paul
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 25, 2004, 09:23:42 pm
Actually, I just made a couple of mix discs with some songs I thought you guys would dig, and then before I sent them I tossed a title on there.

You people are so literal.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: AugustWest on March 25, 2004, 09:28:43 pm
Yeah, but it has a good beat and you can dance to it.

Lighten up, Francis.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: sjlimmer on March 25, 2004, 10:40:35 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not entirely sure the title is accurate on the first disc (has anyone in history intentionally played "They're Going to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha" during lovemaking? If so, why?), but it's a good mix nonetheless.


I'm pretty sure it's meant to be ironic.  I hope so at any rate, if not, it's a much too frightening glimpse at Jough's psyche.  Hmm, let's see, here's a song about a guy driven totally around the bend over the loss of a girl.


Actually, it's about his dog.

And Jough, thank you for including it.  That song had been a topic of conversation between my g/f and I about a week before your mix arrived.  We both got a kick out of hearing it...
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: jough on March 26, 2004, 05:24:52 am
Cool - I wasn't sure if anyone would really enjoy it, but it seems to be one of those songs that everyone knows but nobody has on CD.

I left off the Shatner this time. But if you kids don't behave, Vol. 3 will have tonnes of both Leonard Nemoy and Bill Shatner.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: Choop on March 26, 2004, 06:38:20 am
You gonna do the Frodo song, then?

Just in case you did send them to me, know that I have yet to recieve them. I have no idea if you put them in the mail, but I do know that I have not gotten any packages as of late.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: Limmo on March 26, 2004, 06:03:59 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Just in case you did send them to me, know that I have yet to recieve them. I have no idea if you put them in the mail, but I do know that I have not gotten any packages as of late.


Um, me neither.
Title: Songs To Make Love To - Jough's 2-disc Mix Set
Post by: V-Adore on March 27, 2004, 08:01:21 pm
If someone were to make a mixdisc with "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins," "Frodo of the Nine Fingers," and "Where There's A Whip There's a Way," I'd at least keep it around as a tactical musical weapon.

(Bonus points for Pippin's weird song from RotK, although it's just a little overly good.)