The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on March 11, 2004, 11:08:33 pm

Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: jough on March 11, 2004, 11:08:33 pm
Onstad has learned how to kill a joke.

Excellent.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: V-Adore on March 11, 2004, 11:10:18 pm
Daaamn, jough.

This is getting eerie. The moment I think "hey, no thread on the strip" -- whoops. Synchronicity.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: CortJstr on March 11, 2004, 11:48:35 pm
So is Ray shaking his fist in an ominous manner while the shoe talks on his own or is he being controlled? Yet more hints of the Venom theory?
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: jay-ell on March 12, 2004, 01:09:20 am
I love it.  Love it, I say!  

If Leopold is a communist, I will be vindicated.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on March 12, 2004, 01:21:06 am
Yeah, that shoe is Bad News. He's all holding his gut in that last panel like what in the dogg, that was not to our mutual benefit. Plus you know damn well Ray's all about the Morning After Pills and such, which certainly doesn't jibe with the politics of the Tassled Loafer to the &c.

Axiom: Footwear is either silent or problematic. (http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm?prod=7323&UDC=Y)

The Sharper Image line (coupled with the "high-end garbage" remark) was awesome. As a child I was convinced beyond any hope of dissuasion that I was going to save every last bit of cash that crossed my hands until I had enough to order that radical crossbow out of the Sharper Image catalog. What the hell was I doing with a Sharper Image catalog at that age?
Title: Re: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: palm trees on March 12, 2004, 01:50:02 am
Quote from: "jough"
Onstad has learned how to kill a joke.

Excellent.


for fuck's sake.
if you don't ever like achewood, why the fuck do you run an achewood messageboard?

i mean i don't want to be combative, but you do seem to take a while thinking of a withering put-down for every 2 out of 3 strips. jeez, it's a free comic strip and overall it's probably the best one out there. what's the problem?

correct me if i'm wrong/reading selectively/drunk.
Title: Re: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: ferocious j on March 12, 2004, 01:58:45 am
Quote from: "palm trees"
for fuck's sake.
if you don't ever like achewood, why the fuck do you run an achewood messageboard?

You are not the only one who wonders this, but I have learned to simply let cranky dogs lie these days.
Title: Re: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: jay-ell on March 12, 2004, 02:03:02 am
Quote from: "palm trees"
Quote from: "jough"
Onstad has learned how to kill a joke.

Excellent.


for fuck's sake.
if you don't ever like achewood, why the fuck do you run an achewood messageboard?

i mean i don't want to be combative, but you do seem to take a while thinking of a withering put-down for every 2 out of 3 strips. jeez, it's a free comic strip and overall it's probably the best one out there. what's the problem?

correct me if i'm wrong/reading selectively/drunk.


Ahem.  

We run this board because Onstad bailed on it.  While Jough and I may disagree on which strips we like and dislike, we certainly agree on this: Achewood is the kind of strip that is better if you have someone to discuss it with.  Onstad used to provide a space for this, and when he quit, he really pulled the rug from under a lot of us.  

That's why we're here, in case anyone has forgotten.  And as long as Jough and I run this board, we're going to allow some people to bitch and complain and others to syncophantically fawn over everything Onstad does.  It's just the way things are around here.
Title: Re: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 02:25:07 am
Quote from: "palm trees"
for fuck's sake.
if you don't ever like achewood, why the fuck do you run an achewood messageboard?

i mean i don't want to be combative, but you do seem to take a while thinking of a withering put-down for every 2 out of 3 strips. jeez, it's a free comic strip and overall it's probably the best one out there. what's the problem?

correct me if i'm wrong/reading selectively/drunk.


What, are you NEW?

This is a message board.  People express their opinions.  Others express theirs.  They may or may not differ.

THIS IS HOW BOTH THE INTERNET AND SOCIETY WORKS
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 02:30:40 am
Stop it, Jough!  Your opinion is hurting me.

Actually, I think you're pretty much full of shit on this one.  While I've been disappointed with the Lazarus storyline thus far, today's installment has made it worthwhile.  And the Leopold's story has the potential to be awesomeriffic.

And the Sharper Image line -- Wow.  Just Wow.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: CortJstr on March 12, 2004, 02:38:19 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Yeah, that shoe is Bad News. He's all holding his gut in that last panel like what in the dogg, that was not to our mutual benefit.


So I'm assuming Lazarus made Ray shake his fists. Does that mean Leopold made Teodor shank his ball? Or is physical contact required before they can take over physical actions?
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 02:45:54 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

So I'm assuming Lazarus made Ray shake his fists. Does that mean Leopold made Teodor shank his ball? Or is physical contact required before they can take over physical actions?


Heh heh heh.  You said "Shank his ball."  Heh heh heh.


[/Beavis]
Title: Re: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: palm trees on March 12, 2004, 02:48:48 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "palm trees"
for fuck's sake.
if you don't ever like achewood, why the fuck do you run an achewood messageboard?

i mean i don't want to be combative, but you do seem to take a while thinking of a withering put-down for every 2 out of 3 strips. jeez, it's a free comic strip and overall it's probably the best one out there. what's the problem?

correct me if i'm wrong/reading selectively/drunk.


What, are you NEW?

This is a message board.  People express their opinions.  Others express theirs.  They may or may not differ.

THIS IS HOW BOTH THE INTERNET AND SOCIETY WORKS


ok, i'm puzzled as to why you just told me a load of stuff that i already knew and is perfectly obvious. jesus.

anyway, you may remember i was asking why you would take the time to run a messageboard about a comic you don't actually like. which i infer from all your cussing of most comics. y'know, as i said, correct me if i'm not actually reading you right.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 02:49:23 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Axiom: Footwear is either silent or problematic. (http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm?prod=7323&UDC=Y)



From The Harriet Carter Catalog:

"Old Fart Slippers break wind as you walk. They are a gas. Present these sound off slippers to any "fart"unate old timer and get ready for explosive laughter. One size fits all."

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have discovered Onstad's day job -- catalog copywriter.
Title: Re: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on March 12, 2004, 03:36:36 am
Quote from: "palm trees"
ok, i'm puzzled as to why you just told me a load of stuff that i already knew and is perfectly obvious. jesus.

anyway, you may remember i was asking why you would take the time to run a messageboard about a comic you don't actually like. which i infer from all your cussing of most comics. y'know, as i said, correct me if i'm not actually reading you right.


palm trees, you're a nice guy, but seriously - calm the hell down, dude.
       See also picking a fight with a moderator while chemically impaired

This message board has turned into something that's about a whole lot more than the comic itself, anyway. It's more of a place for strangers who like Achewood to meet and shoot the shit about anything; just cos the board's under the (unofficial) Achewood aegis doesn't mean we have to fall all over ourselves calling every strip Aztec Gold. I'm more from the "if you can't say something nice" department, but hell, strong opinions provoke conversation, you dig?

This is all being done for Fun.
Title: Re: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: pmcd9 on March 12, 2004, 04:10:26 am
Quote from: "jough"
Man, Palm Trees got INDIGNANT up in this piece!


Jough isn't a prick he just plays one on the internet.  I almost named my mixdisc that.

~Paul
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Bozack on March 12, 2004, 04:12:17 am
Man, I believed this message board to be a place of PEACE.
No, seriously, I really like the "Venom" theory. So, if Ray is Eddie Brock, and Lazarus is the symbiote, WHO WILL HOLD ME WHEN I CRY?????

Oh, yeah, is anybody reading the "Venom" comic that's out now? With the crazy art? Did anyone notice that all of a sudden the Invisible Woman's got back?

plan: defuse tension with mixture of self-deprication and social awkwardness.Check.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 04:15:07 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Did anyone notice that all of a sudden the Invisible Woman's got back?



If she's invisible, how can you tell?
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 04:32:13 am
I like the strip, but that doesn't mean I'm going to necessarily suck Onstad's dick and say that every strip is great.  If that's what you want to do, then pucker up, buttercup.

Every artist is going to have highs and lows in their career.  I'm a big Truffaut fan, but not so much that I can't recognise that "Love on the Run" is just not a good movie.

I think it gets over-bashed - and I still have a fondness for the overall Doinel series - just like I mostly enjoy Achewood - but sometimes strips just stink up the joint, and with the exception of that limo line that kinda made me chuckle a bit the talking shoe thing is now officially played out.

I guess if today's strip wasn't so lame I would've liked it more.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: pmcd9 on March 12, 2004, 04:38:53 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Did anyone notice that all of a sudden the Invisible Woman's got back?


Are we talking about Sue Storm Richards?

(http://marvelbook.topcities.com/efghipics/iwoman.jpg)

I think she's always had a nice can.

~Paul
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 04:57:17 am
I love how we can go from strip discussion to mini-flamewar to consideration of the Invisible Woman's "can" within 20 posts or less. This board is quality, yo.

(Incidentally, she really is sort of wasted on Reed, isn't she?)
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: pmcd9 on March 12, 2004, 05:16:22 am
I just realized that my last post would have been appropriate for the boy in the picture.  I've come a long way haven't I...

~Paul
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Ben-San on March 12, 2004, 05:26:12 am
I think that if the Lazarus storyline is going to continue and the Philippe For President storyline is going to continue, introducing the other shoe and having them do ideological battle with Philippe's presidency as the battleground (which seems to be where it's going, to me) is about the best way to do it.

And Leopold didn't make Teodor shank that ball. DESTINY made Teodor shank that ball.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Bozack on March 12, 2004, 05:41:35 am
Okay, pick up the latest copy of the "Venom" comic; you don't have to buy it, but it couldn't hurt, it's a really good read. If you look at the like 3rd page, Sue Storm is using a force-field to separate Eddie Brock from Venom. There's a back shot and LORDY. They totally gave her J-Lo booty, and she's STACKED now. Sorry to be so crude, but it actually made me feel kinda weird. I mean, in the imaginary fake world I've invested so much time in, Sue Storm is a mother, man!
HOW DO I COPE WHEN FAKE PEOPLE GET TOO SEXY?

I'm actually going to start a comics thread over in the literature part.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2004, 05:53:29 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Sorry to be so crude, but it actually made me feel kinda weird.


Kinda tingly all over, right?

Quote

HOW DO I COPE WHEN FAKE PEOPLE GET TOO SEXY?

One word -- masturbation.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Bozack on March 12, 2004, 05:57:12 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
One word -- masturbation.

DOOD! WE'RE BEING ALL SUBTLE! SHHHHHH!
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on March 12, 2004, 06:05:43 am
Up until the mid- to late-eighties, I thought it was understood that Reed and Sue were like in their late thirties. Reed and Sue were like mother and father figures, you know? Then come like one million dumbasses voting with their dollars and suddenly the Invisible Woman (as you correctly pointed out, a mother) is assembled from parts left over from Aircel's Testosterfest '93. Congratulations, everyone in the Marvel Universe suddenly has the build and emotional development of an athletic nineteen-year-old.

I mean, hell, when I was just a wee one, I owned and adored a copy of Lee / Buscema's How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, and Sue Richards was held up as an example of an average woman. Now she's got an hourglass that would make the fuck*ng Time Commander green with envy. I like beautiful women as much as I dislike having to swallow transparent pandering to the Lowest Common Denominator; you can see the problem here.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: palm trees on March 12, 2004, 10:05:48 am
Quote from: "jough"
I like the strip, but that doesn't mean I'm going to necessarily suck Onstad's dick and say that every strip is great.  If that's what you want to do, then pucker up, buttercup.

Every artist is going to have highs and lows in their career.  I'm a big Truffaut fan, but not so much that I can't recognise that "Love on the Run" is just not a good movie.

I think it gets over-bashed - and I still have a fondness for the overall Doinel series - just like I mostly enjoy Achewood - but sometimes strips just stink up the joint, and with the exception of that limo line that kinda made me chuckle a bit the talking shoe thing is now officially played out.

I guess if today's strip wasn't so lame I would've liked it more.


 :D i see now
you see guys, all i was after was an answer to my question

also, i am well disappointed to have missed out on mixdisc fame. WHY YOU TORMENT ME, RITCHIE?
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Mite on March 12, 2004, 11:20:12 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
HOW DO I COPE WHEN FAKE PEOPLE GET TOO SEXY?

Dude, try being a Scary Go Round fan. That strip kills me ON A DAILY BASIS. Especially now that we've got our old Ryan back. Yum.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on March 12, 2004, 12:19:46 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Dude, try being a Scary Go Round fan.


BRITISH MIDRIFFS ON PARADE
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 01:22:59 pm
I'm not sure which of these two shower epiphanies is dorkier:

1) Sue Storm abruptly being hot and all is bad enough, but what is she doing in a "Venom" storyline? This is why I've never quite trusted the Marvelverse; Spider-Man needs his own continuity so bad, because otherwise it's just silly.

2) I think I would trust Scary Go Round more were that not that hotness problem. Nooooo, too sexy!!
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: palm trees on March 12, 2004, 01:23:58 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Quote from: "Bozack"
HOW DO I COPE WHEN FAKE PEOPLE GET TOO SEXY?

Dude, try being a Scary Go Round fan. That strip kills me ON A DAILY BASIS. Especially now that we've got our old Ryan back. Yum.


agreed. those ladies, mm.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 12, 2004, 01:47:02 pm
So, shoes got parents then?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: CortJstr on March 12, 2004, 02:02:38 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
So, shoes got parents then?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.


If stuffed animals can have parents then why not?
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 12, 2004, 03:11:46 pm
Does that mean shoes, like, do it?  How do they get into position, let alone perform the act?  We've been given no indication that these talking shoes are otherwise mobile.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Bozack on March 12, 2004, 03:56:10 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Sue Storm abruptly being hot and all is bad enough, but what is she doing in a "Venom" storyline?

Ha, I actually love the Marvelverse, just because now, you know every time they start a series, the guys are all thinking, HOW CAN WOLVERINE BE INVOLVED? Which he was in the Venom storyline.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 04:03:30 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Sue Storm abruptly being hot and all is bad enough, but what is she doing in a "Venom" storyline?

Ha, I actually love the Marvelverse, just because now, you know every time they start a series, the guys are all thinking, HOW CAN WOLVERINE BE INVOLVED? Which he was in the Venom storyline.

This is both very funny and very sad.

Now I'm picturing a director's cut of "The Death of Gwen Stacy" in which Wolverine runs in and saves everyone. Up to and including Gwen. And then Gwen runs away with Wolverine ("oh, Logan...") to complete the required angst level of any given Spider-Man story.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: wombat on March 12, 2004, 05:04:27 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Does that mean shoes, like, do it?  How do they get into position, let alone perform the act?  We've been given no indication that these talking shoes are otherwise mobile.


Oh man, I will never look at my piled-up shoes the same way again.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: CortJstr on March 12, 2004, 05:39:22 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Does that mean shoes, like, do it?  How do they get into position, let alone perform the act?  We've been given no indication that these talking shoes are otherwise mobile.


Pollination. Those tassles are just like flower stamens.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 05:55:49 pm
It's true!  

I once left a new pair of Doc Martins in my closet, and about six month after I had them, I came back and found a little pair of Buster Browns!

-- Jough

P.S. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the girls in Scary Go Round would be hella sexy were they real women.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 12, 2004, 07:58:21 pm
If you could just put them together and have one perfect, ditzy-but-hot-girl-next-door-slinky-high-kicking-superspy GOOD GAWD what a girl.

And that isn't even considering Rachel and Tessa...

Even Zombie Shelley was kind of hot.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: ferocious j on March 12, 2004, 08:16:35 pm
This may or may not be the perfect place to mention that about a year or so ago, I actually had a dream where I went to a bar with three of the characters from Scary Go Round, in real life, as actual people.  It wasn't one of those dreams, but my brain did make Shelley and Rachel very cute.  The third person was Tim, who as it turned out was taller than I would've expected.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Steve Hogan on March 12, 2004, 08:27:32 pm
I jerk off to the dromiceiomimus from Dinosaur Comics.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2004, 08:58:33 pm
Hey, taste hides in many corners.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: palm trees on March 12, 2004, 10:24:51 pm
scary go round is wonderful for two reasons: one, the ladies, who (thank god everyone agrees) are the sex, and also they once had my surname on the menu in the background. that is all.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: jough on March 12, 2004, 10:35:51 pm
Trees?
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Ryan on March 13, 2004, 10:27:28 pm
Steve Hogan likes his inter-species comic erotica!

AND I LIKE PROVIDING IT.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: CortJstr on March 13, 2004, 10:45:28 pm
Quote from: "Ryan"
Steve Hogan likes his inter-species comic erotica!

AND I LIKE PROVIDING IT.


But where are the tentacles?
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: AugustWest on March 14, 2004, 01:19:58 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Ryan"
Steve Hogan likes his inter-species comic erotica!

AND I LIKE PROVIDING IT.


But where are the tentacles?


You really don't want to know.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: palm trees on March 14, 2004, 08:39:40 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Trees?

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20030611

I am the most intense eggs you ever did see, brother.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: sailor on March 14, 2004, 11:46:55 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I jerk off to the dromiceiomimus from Dinosaur Comics.


Please people DO NOT diddle y'rselves to COMICS. That is hell of not ok.

and when you do, try to think of Family Circus
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: andalucia on March 15, 2004, 04:33:23 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Please people DO NOT diddle y'rselves to COMICS. That is hell of not ok.

and when you do, try to think of Family Circus


Well, now that the world is pretty much no longer worth living in...
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: Bozack on March 15, 2004, 05:11:28 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Well, now that the world is pretty much no longer worth living in...

the girl has hella depression due to comic diddling.
Title: Important fuck*ng Shoes - 11 March 2004
Post by: andalucia on March 15, 2004, 09:04:21 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Well, now that the world is pretty much no longer worth living in...

the girl has hella depression due to comic diddling.


Family Circus is not any comic, and Family Circus diddling is not any diddling.  Not by any means.