The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: sailor on March 13, 2004, 09:00:22 pm

Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: sailor on March 13, 2004, 09:00:22 pm
show that little box in the lower left hand of the screen in which the web address is displayed when you roll over a link in IE?

i do miss it so. thanks
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: Choop on March 13, 2004, 09:13:02 pm
View > Status Bar
(ALT+V, B)
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: sailor on March 13, 2004, 09:44:14 pm
hey thanks!

and such prompt service!!
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 14, 2004, 03:07:17 am
What I would like to know is how you set it up so that you have the status bar every time you open IE, and not have to call it back up.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: jough on March 14, 2004, 06:12:34 am
It should always show back up once you check it.  I've never had it NOT show up.

However, if you want to ensure this, you can open Windows Explorer, select:

Tools > Folder Options... > View > Advanced Settings

and then check "Remember each folder's view settings."

Then click the "Apply to All Folders" button above that (since IE is just a special kind of Explorer folder).

Click Apply below.

Then OK.

Done.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: jay-ell on March 15, 2004, 05:50:25 pm
If you want to be even more sure that you're never without a status bar, go here (http://mozilla.org/).
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: CortJstr on March 15, 2004, 07:54:58 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
If you want to be even more sure that you're never without a status bar, go here (http://mozilla.org/).


You could still inadvertantly disable it via the View menu.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: sailor on March 15, 2004, 08:00:39 pm
As much as i would like to use one of the "alternative" browsers, I'm afraid the Internet will be all: "What the HELL you DOUCHE BAG, this is NOT a Microsoft product, who the FUCK do you think you are, y'all better get back to usin' IE or I ain't letting you surf JACK SHIT. You are HELL OF PATHETIC."

that's what the Internet would say to me.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: andalucia on March 15, 2004, 08:53:51 pm
No no no the internet is all about giving discerning geeks mad cred for alternative browsers.  For serious; it is the only way to be truly R.A.D.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: CortJstr on March 15, 2004, 09:09:08 pm
I wish. Yesterday my SO couldn't get to the H&M site. It redirected to a page that said "we only support IE 4.0+" It wouldn't display anything at all. Now only supporting IE is sad enough but then saying you go all the way back to V 4? That's nuts.

I hate places that instead of writing web pages write Internet Explorer Documents.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: jough on March 15, 2004, 09:40:39 pm
I think the "+" means "or greater."

Anyway, when buymusic.com opened it only worked in IE.  It still does.  Go to:

http://buymusic.com

in Mozilla and you'll be greeted with this message:
Quote
Thank you for visiting BuyMusic.com.

In order to take full advantage of BuyMusic.com's offerings you must be on a Windows Operating System using Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher.


Unbelieveable.

It prompted this parody site:

http://www.dontbuymusic.com/

Which of course works in Mozilla.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: sailor on March 15, 2004, 09:41:31 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I wish. Yesterday my SO couldn't get to the H&M site. It redirected to a page that said "we only support IE 4.0+" It wouldn't display anything at all. Now only supporting IE is sad enough but then saying you go all the way back to V 4? That's nuts.

I hate places that instead of writing web pages write Internet Explorer Documents.


and this is exactly what i'm trying to tell you about
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: andalucia on March 15, 2004, 10:01:35 pm
Egad.  Never before had I come across such a phenomenon.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: CortJstr on March 15, 2004, 11:43:35 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I think the "+" means "or greater."


That's my point. If the site is compatible with something as old as IE 4.0 then what's keeping it from running in FireFox? I think they just threw up the intercept/warn page so they would've even have to bother testing anything else.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: jay-ell on March 16, 2004, 03:07:14 am
I have run across a few sites by fucktards who refuse to code for Mozilla users -- the ones that piss me off most are those that specify IE or Netscape, for heaven's sake -- but when I come across one of those I just launch an IE window and move on.  But I'd say 95% of my web app using is done with MoZo.  

I was a reluctant convert, but I'm glad I switched.  IE is just frighteningly buggy by comparison.  

</web geek>
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: Choop on March 16, 2004, 03:37:27 am
Tabbed browsing.
Popub blocking.
Javascript permissions.
Stylesheet selection.
Themes.
Extensions, including:
 - Adblock.
 - Flash Click-to-Play.
 - Adblock.
 - Nuke Anything.
 - LinkIt toolbar.
 - Adblock.
 - penis Gestures.

And all integrated, no downloading of shells or other potentially virus-laden extras, and all programmed in XML and ECMAScript.

Firefox. Why use anything else? (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: Gimpson on March 16, 2004, 01:48:38 pm
I had the same problem with missing status bars in IE on XP, but this fixed it for me.

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t100219.html
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: jough on March 16, 2004, 05:17:06 pm
Except for the registry entry, this is pretty much exactly what I posted above.

Damn internet.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 18, 2004, 05:48:52 pm
But the registry entry is key.  That's my exact problem--I can turn on the status bar, but if I open a new window, ain't no status bar in it.  I'll try the registry thing tonight.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: pmcd9 on March 19, 2004, 06:31:05 am
Awesome, this is the 19th reply to this query and the question was answered with the very first response.

~Paul
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 19, 2004, 04:03:31 pm
Topic drift is a good thing.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2004, 05:18:38 pm
Eh. It's still OT. I'm forgiving of drift and generally ADD in topics. Also, hot oily monkey sex.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: V-Adore on March 19, 2004, 05:57:15 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Eh. It's still OT. I'm forgiving of drift and generally ADD in topics. Also, hot oily monkey sex.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Google text ads popped up with "Wild For Wildlife?" as I was reading this post.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: AugustWest on March 19, 2004, 06:15:21 pm
Does anybody else like cheese?  I like Swiss.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: slink on March 19, 2004, 07:23:50 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Google text ads popped up with "Wild For Wildlife?" as I was reading this post.


While reading the thing about Superman being thuggush and the comic it was advertising comic book shopping to me, which was nice.
Now however it's trying to hock fuck*ng Messenger at me.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2004, 09:41:05 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Does anybody else like cheese?  I like Swiss.


Hey! I'm watching you. You're just lucky you pick cheese and not a less sacred topic.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: wombat on March 19, 2004, 10:24:15 pm
The problem with this board is that I have to read every single freaking thread, no matter how uninteresting the topic, because there's no predicting when and where youall will start getting funny.
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2004, 11:16:25 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
The problem with this board is that I have to read every single freaking thread, no matter how uninteresting the topic, because there's no predicting when and where youall will start getting funny.


A) I'm never uninstresting and I resent the implication.

and B)

War just takes all the fun out of dead baby jokes, doesn't it? (Jlbkwrm)

GI Joe taught me that knowing is half the battle. Later in life, when I was
ready, I learned that the other half of the battle is killing and maiming
people. (ZYX)

I love a parade... No, wait, I'm thinking of an orgasm.
I guess I confused the two because both usually involve trained animals.
(RavenWord)

Playing hoss in China has got to suck. It's only one character. (madmazurk)

What if you put a puppet's arm up his own ass? Could he control himself
then? What sort of metaphysical possibilities would this entail?
This and more on Philosophy of Puppetry, airing every other Wednesday at 6 p.m. on some television some where. (madmazurk)

I dumped my girlfriend yesterday. The only problem I foresee is the
possibility of the body resurfacing. (Just Brian)

I wonder why you don't see any fat Jedis. Cause I know if I could grab shit
from far away like that, I'd be 800 pounds cause I'd never leave my chair.
(madmazurk)

Whenever I'm feeling sadistic, I just check the 'Disable Smilies in This
Post' box, and feel assured that any bastard smilies hiding in my posts will
walk with a limp for the rest of their natural lives.  (Jlbkwrm)

When you're a teacher, every day in August is like Sunday night. (downpour)
Title: does anybody know how to....
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 03:54:01 am
Pepperjack is good, too.