The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on March 17, 2004, 05:54:28 pm

Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: jay-ell on March 17, 2004, 05:54:28 pm
Top o' the mornin to ye!

Persons of Irish-American heritige, represent!
Title: Re: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: AugustWest on March 17, 2004, 05:55:59 pm
Yo.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2004, 06:03:00 pm
w00t!
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: andalucia on March 17, 2004, 06:18:34 pm
What are the evening plans?  Anyone going to actually Drink Green Stuff?
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: Bozack on March 17, 2004, 06:48:12 pm
On the Fourth of July, 1806
We set sail from the sweet cohb of Cork
We were sailing away with a cargo of bricks
For the Grand City Hall in New York
'Twas a wonderful craft
She was rigged fore and aft
And oh, how the wild wind drove her
She stood several blasts
She had twenty seven masts
And they called her The Irish Rover

All up in the Irish, yo.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: slink on March 17, 2004, 06:52:25 pm
I always refer to today as St. Americans wearing green and drinking day.
Since I've never seen a Brit or a real Irishmen do much today.
At least nothing they don't usually do...
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: Bozack on March 17, 2004, 07:05:51 pm
C'mon, man. We're AMERICANS. Our cultural identity SUCKS. At least let us pilfer a Disney-fied version of the identity for a FEW MORE GENERATIONS.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: andalucia on March 17, 2004, 07:20:24 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Pogues lyrics...


Yeah!  That is exactly what this day is missing.  It's a family tradition to listen to Fairytale of New York during the Christmas season, but I don't usually listen to them that often... mmm... Shane McGowan.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: jough on March 17, 2004, 07:21:00 pm
And the rest of the day to yerself, lass.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: V-Adore on March 17, 2004, 07:24:01 pm
I accidentally wore blue today. Verily am I shamed.

Then again, I think I contain basically everything except Irish, so either I was shamed from the get-go or I'm exempt.

Anyway, this post is the green of atonement.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 17, 2004, 07:42:29 pm
What's Irish and sits out in the rain?
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2004, 07:46:37 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What's Irish and sits out in the rain?


PATIO FURNITURE.

I didn't know we could post in colors!
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: slink on March 17, 2004, 08:11:29 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

I didn't know we could post in colors!


I'm not out or protest.
I don't celebrate any of these things. Even mother's day, back when I was a kid, I told my mother 'I'm sorry, but this is a bullshit holiday'. She was thankfully fine with it.

I guess the whole Saints thing just means fuck all to me. I don't even get touched when it's St. Andrew's day. I don't even remember when that is!
But I'll watch on and laugh as you all get drunk tonight.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 17, 2004, 08:56:52 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What's Irish and sits out in the rain?


PATIO FURNITURE.

I didn't know we could post in colors!


Well, mostly right but to be Irish you would have had to say:

Paddy O'Furniture.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: jay-ell on March 17, 2004, 09:13:48 pm
This reminds me of a story...
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2004, 09:45:02 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I guess the whole Saints thing just means fuck all to me. I don't even get touched when it's St. Andrew's day. I don't even remember when that is!
But I'll watch on and laugh as you all get drunk tonight.


Who is St. Andrew and since when does he get his own day?
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on March 17, 2004, 10:16:25 pm
Would it be in bad taste to post in orange today?
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: Bozack on March 17, 2004, 10:18:11 pm
St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland, and his day is celebrated on Nov. 30th. The flag of Scotland is the cross of St. Andrew.
Ha, that came like verbatum from my 5th grade roots presentation.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: V-Adore on March 17, 2004, 10:49:34 pm
I feel vaguely ashamed that I can't remember which day St. Crispin's Day is after going through great pains in junior-year English to memorize it. I suppose Google would help, but inertia kills that idea right quick.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: jough on March 17, 2004, 11:01:33 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Would it be in bad taste to post in orange today?


Not in bad taste, but let's just say that you're on my list now, Anglophilic punk.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: Ben-San on March 17, 2004, 11:08:48 pm
St. Patrick's Day is hard to enjoy for someone who (a) grew up in Boston, (b) never had a clear head for dates, and (c) was never particularly prone to wearing large amounts of green. Even explaining "No, I'm descended exclusively from Eastern European Jews and have no logical reason to possibly celebrate Irish heritage" is not enough for some people.

Also, I think St. Crispin is October 25, but don't take my word for it.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 17, 2004, 11:35:44 pm
I've always been fond of St Swithen's Day.

I though St Andrew's Day was whenever they played the final round of the British Open.

**edited to say "Why yes, google, I did mean St. Swithin's Day"
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: V-Adore on March 18, 2004, 12:25:05 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"

Also, I think St. Crispin is October 25, but don't take my word for it.

My last few brain cells seem to be indicating that it's either this or August 25th. No idea why I'm confusing August and October, unless assonance counts.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: AugustWest on March 18, 2004, 03:32:36 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
No idea why I'm confusing August and October, unless assonance counts.


No idea.  One is crisp, mellow and colorful and the other is a month.
Title: Top o' the Mornin'
Post by: Choop on March 18, 2004, 03:43:14 am
They both border September?