The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on March 17, 2004, 09:11:56 pm
-
Pedro showed me these (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?s=ef0e16fd21b0b76e66b6871ebd6fe589&showtopic=2770) today. I thought they represented some of the best photography of my fair city I've seen to date, and wanted to share them with y'all.
Jough will no doubt point out that most of the "gee that building is tall" shots appear to be of the same three or four buildings. Well, that's true. You will also note that we tend to be able to see the Carolina Blue sky around these parts. We sort of like it that way. :smooch:
-
Last time I was in Raleigh I mugged a guy not two blocks from that building.
I guess I shouldn't have posted that...
-
This is where it turns out that Pedro was mugged over there a while back...
-
Damn! Raleigh is hell of clean! DAAAAAMN!
-
Who's the figure in the statue-on-a-pillar shot? I feel as if I should know the guy, but nothing's occurring immediately.
-
Looks like Jebediah Springfield to me.
I was expecting Sir Walther Raleigh, though.
-
I was expecting Sir Walther PPK.
-
Actually, that's a generic representation of "Our Confederate Dead." It's the top of a monument in front of the State Capitol building.
We have a statue of Sir Walter, but it's hideous, it makes him look like a fop and it may be torn up soon if the new mayor's urban renewal plan goes through.
-
Actually, that's a generic representation of "Our Confederate Dead." It's the top of a monument in front of the State Capitol building.
So... Jebediah Springfield, then?
(At least I feel less stupid for not being able to put a name to the face.)
-
Jedediah Springfield.
-
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
-
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
What a cromulent post.
-
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
What a cromulent post.
A friend went on blind date a couple years ago and the guy actually used the word "cromulent" like it was a regular word. The next day she found out from some friends what it meant and where it came from. There was no 2nd date.
So a lesson to all the fellas out there: don't say embiggens or cromulent if you're trying to impress a lady. Unless you're at a Ren Faire or something.
-
You are both now required to define the neologisms used in the above posts.
BY ORDERS OF THE ILLUMINATI!
-
Embiggen -- (v.t.) to improve, especially as relates to personal growth. Giving nickels to hoboes will embiggen you.
Cromulent -- (adj.) 1. Grammatical; 2. Acceptible, correct or in common usage. IM seems to have become a cromulent word recently.
-
Here's a photo from my jaunt to a Mall(tm) on Friday:
(http://www.10mar2001.com/images/pandas.jpg)
-
That's just... scary!
That panda may well embiggen himself in the eyes of the female, thanks to his cromulent use of the word cromulent!
See, it can get you a date.
-
I like that they are labelled.
-
I like that they are labelled.
Took reading the chest for me to know what it was.
I thought it was supposed to be a tit in a costume, but noooooo...