The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on March 19, 2004, 01:44:36 pm

Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 19, 2004, 01:44:36 pm
Is leaked on SlSk. Except for the last track, Late Greats (greatest lost track of all time...). Anyway, it's good, yes? You like it. Go download it.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: andalucia on March 19, 2004, 04:52:30 pm
I will.

Thank you for the immoral heads up, and fear not all, I'll buy it regardless.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: slink on March 19, 2004, 05:50:38 pm
Guess it's about time for me to check out who these Wilco people are then...
What with soulseek kicking furious ass (it being in use as we speak) I have no problem queuing up another track.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: andalucia on March 20, 2004, 01:02:59 am
You're lucky to still have Wilco's whole catalogue ahead of you, slink, that's all I can say.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 20, 2004, 05:35:04 am
I forgot to mention that live recording compilations had been floating around SoulSeek or a while now...so make sure the copy you're downloading has the songs Wishful Thinking and Hell is Chrome (which had not previously been played live). Most of the legit files that are floating around have a filename formatted like so:
Wilco-A_Ghost_Is_Born-02-Hell_Is_Chrome.mp3

Anyway, if you're on dialup and thus are trying to economize on download time, I'd check out Company in My Back, Theologians, or Muzzle of Bees. Or At Least That's What You Said if you're looking to rock out, all Neil Young style.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: slink on March 20, 2004, 09:22:10 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
Or At Least That's What You Said if you're looking to rock out, all Neil Young style.


Didn't see my post in the Neil Young thread then!

But I will check these guys out later today. When they start downloading.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 20, 2004, 10:08:21 am
I did not. Now that I have, though, I see you might like people covering Neil? How about influenced by? Yeah. What would life be without wishful thinking? Time for a walk.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: slink on March 20, 2004, 12:48:47 pm
I don't know about the people being influenced by Young thing. I can't really think of anyone I like who ahs said they were, although I guess people covering him would be kinda saying so like that...
I'll see.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2004, 07:04:15 pm
I still treasure the experience of going to the record store and buying a highly anticipated new disc.  Greedily tearing open the package on the way to the car, putting the disc in the player and listening in the parking lot.  If I go way back, it's hurriedly driving home, tearing open the package, putting the lp on the turntable.  If I go even further back than that Begging Mom not to go to Granny's house, being a pratt the whole time instead of being grateful that she just bought me the new Foghat record.  All impatiant to get home and listen to Fool for the City.  Again with the earlier... Sitting in the car while Mom and Dad and a couple of their friends marveling at the new Beatles album, Sgt. Peppers.  Finally getting my turn and being transfixed by the imagery.  Going to their friends "pad" and recording a reel to reel copy which I listened to more times than I can remember.

I'm not ready to kick that part of my life to the curb and replace it with 'save target as' just yet.

~Paul
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2004, 07:05:18 pm
So anyway, when's it coming out.

~Paul
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 20, 2004, 07:19:40 pm
June 8.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: Bozack on March 20, 2004, 09:35:00 pm
Since now I gots a job and all, I bought a Handsome Family album yesterday, and it is REAL GOOD. There's a new Wilco and Modest penis coming out too, as well as a Papa M and Will Oldham. So I'm going to be spending my entire paycheck on music.
I'm sort of starting a alt-country band with my brother, and we really want to try to cover "Cowgirl In The Sand." Because it is awesome.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 20, 2004, 09:43:13 pm
Have you ever read this interview with Handsome Family and Tweedy? http://www.geocities.com/nutnhunee/raygun.html
Quote
Jeff: My brother was so constipated as a child that he'd lay these enormous Louisville Slugger turds, and my mother would have to cut them up with a butter knife.


Funny crap.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 11:31:57 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Since now I gots a job and all,


Where are you working?

Also, speaking of country music, Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin was on Trio last night.  It rocked.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: Bozack on March 21, 2004, 01:07:57 am
Ha, I'm working at Lynn's Paradise Cafe (for non-'ville folk, it's this funky cool cafe place that's insanely busy on the weekends), from 8 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon with no breaks, hosting. This means, today, I literally ran for 7 hours; by 9 in the morning, there was already a wait for a table, and it stayed at around a 15-30 minute wait from 9:30 to 2.
And today, because of the NCAA stuff, was one of the slowest days they've  had. Eventually, every weekend, I will be getting there at 8, getting all of the reservations ready, showing everyone to their seats, taking all of the phone calls, etc.
However, there IS an upside: I'm getting $9 bucks an hour, which is absolutely insane. Hopefully this will pay for all the ulcers I'm going to get.
August, stop in some time and say hey!
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2004, 02:03:34 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Ha, I'm working at Lynn's Paradise Cafe


I knew it!

We had brunch there two weeks ago.  Lynn's is great, if anybody's ever in town you should definitely check it out.

Used to live right across the street from Lynn's original location on Frankfort Avenue.  There were always people lined up.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: Choop on March 21, 2004, 03:48:15 am
Shelbyville, Where?
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2004, 04:34:53 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Shelbyville, Where?


At the moment it's about 9 miles WSW of me.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: Flenker on March 26, 2004, 07:59:50 am
Wilco is teh rad.  I will download this and buy this.  Yankkee Hotel Foxtrot is a good damn album
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 29, 2004, 11:18:36 pm
The last track, The Late Greats, has finally leaked. I know you were all waiting with bated breath.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: jough on March 29, 2004, 11:34:03 pm
Quote from: "Flenker"
Yankkee Hotel Foxtrot is a good damn album


I'd heard good things about it, so I acquired a copy and was disappointed - I found it to be meandering anti-song rock that was pretty standard stuff - like what the Counting Crows were doing about seven years ago (although I really liked the CC's first two albums).
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: andalucia on March 30, 2004, 12:02:02 am
Quote from: "jough"
I'd heard good things about it, so I acquired a copy and was disappointed


I've been having this problem where I avoid fawningly critically acclaimed albums like the plague, only to find that I end up enjoying them immensely.
That's what happened with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and with Yoshimi Battles the Pink *****s.  I fear losing my indie cred.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 30, 2004, 12:18:19 am
This album is more songy for the most part. Incidentally, the Counting Crows have taken to "worshiping" Wilco, and using California Stars, a 6 year old Wilco song featuring Woody Guthrie lyrics, as their sing-along encore.
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: V-Adore on March 30, 2004, 01:10:41 am
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Asterisks was a damn, damn fine album. This is all.

(It also has enough weird ambient noises that it scares my suitemates, which is a plus.)
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2004, 04:45:14 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Asterisks was a damn, damn fine album. This is all.


Yohshimi has been facing down a very menacing pink * on my desktop for about a year now.

~Paul
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 02, 2004, 09:43:40 pm
http://rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19556

Quote
The Boston-based Web master of bemydemon.org -- a Wilco lyric site that singer Jeff Tweedy has occasionally consulted backstage in moments of forgetfulness -- the twenty-five-year-old Givony transcribed the new songs' lyrics and sent them to Tweedy with an apology for having the album early, a promise to purchase it when it is commercially available and a solicitation for lyric corrections.

After Tweedy complied, Givony dreamed up a unique way of showing his gratitude: the just-launched justafan.org, a site set up specifically for fans who download copies of the new Wilco album and want to show their appreciation by making a donation to the band-selected charity Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres. In less than a day online, with nothing more than word-of-mouth publicity, donations exceeded $1,500
Title: New Wilco album-A Ghost Is Born
Post by: slink on April 03, 2004, 08:21:29 am
Wow. That's pretty groovy.
I might have to get into these guys more just out of principle!