The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Paisley on March 20, 2004, 01:52:07 am

Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: Paisley on March 20, 2004, 01:52:07 am
How did Ray already memorize this month's Playboy Advisor? Motivation. The cat has his priorities.

But for me, this strip was all about Philippe's eyebrows, and his concentration on being interested--good atrributes for a presidential candidate.

(By coincidence, I was listening to the 1958 Berlin production of Die Dreigroschenoper (with Lotte Lenya), "The Ballad of Sexual Dependency", to be exact, when I punched this up. )
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: V-Adore on March 20, 2004, 02:15:06 am
There's Ray, neatly corrupting the young as always. Rock on, Ray.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: CortJstr on March 20, 2004, 02:46:35 am
Yeah, Philippe is really concentrating on the legs. I'm waiting to see how coherent Ray is after he drinks all those.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 03:50:50 am
Nineteen years ago this June, I rode on a train out of Frankfort am Main with my friend Craig Kraus.  Neither of us, however, had memorized that month's Playboy Advisor (which would probably have been about Members Only jackets or Vuarnets).
Title: Re: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: jay-ell on March 20, 2004, 05:48:50 am
Quote from: "Paisley"
The cat has his priorities.


Also, the cat owns property.
Title: Re: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: St_Zartan on March 20, 2004, 06:51:38 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Also, the cat owns property.


He gets with ladies, too. But in the end, For My Man mixtapes notwithstanding, they do not like him.
Title: Re: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: Mantonio on March 20, 2004, 08:48:35 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "Paisley"
The cat has his priorities.


Also, the cat owns property.


Also, the cat is wearing his Hell hat.
Title: Re: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: slink on March 20, 2004, 09:44:36 am
Quote from: "Mantonio"

Also, the cat is wearing his Hell hat.


I nearly had a hell hat brought home for me when my mom went to Bavaria the other month. I decided against in the end!
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 20, 2004, 06:46:19 pm
Is duty-free shopping really that great a deal?  Every time I check it out, I am not blown away by the prices, so I don't buy any booze.  But I buy Toblerone bars anyway.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2004, 06:49:33 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Is duty-free shopping really that great a deal?  Every time I check it out, I am not blown away by the prices, so I don't buy any booze.  But I buy Toblerone bars anyway.


Yeah, duty free is a scam.  There is no tax, but the stuff is priced double.

I guess duty free is for people who don't mind paying more, just don't won't the government to get any of it.

~Paul
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: slink on March 20, 2004, 07:27:03 pm
Depends if you live in a country where you get gouged for 17.5% VAT and tax on alcohol and cigarettes drives prices through the roof.
That's why I quit smoking (this time). Because 20 cost me £5. That's like fuck*ng 50cents a cigarette with current exchange rates.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: jough on March 20, 2004, 07:37:44 pm
Hey, congrats, Slink.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2004, 07:43:55 pm
Quote from: "slink"
That's why I quit smoking (this time). Because 20 cost me £5. That's like fuck*ng 50cents a cigarette with current exchange rates.


That's why I quit smoking pot.  When it got to $25 dollars for a quarter of an ounce I said to hell with it.

~Paul
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: andalucia on March 20, 2004, 07:58:34 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
That's why I quit smoking pot.  When it got to $25 dollars for a quarter of an ounce I said to hell with it.


Hearing people reminesce about the olden days when pot was cheap always seems like the Saddest Thing, until I also remember the fables I've heard about what poor quality it was then...
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2004, 08:20:37 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Hearing people reminesce about the olden days when pot was cheap always seems like the Saddest Thing, until I also remember the fables I've heard about what poor quality it was then...


It's no fable.  Today's weed is a total skull fucker over the dope of yesteryear.  Something like a factor of 10 in potency.

I am the Delta Niner.

~Paul
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: CortJstr on March 20, 2004, 08:51:43 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Is duty-free shopping really that great a deal?  Every time I check it out, I am not blown away by the prices, so I don't buy any booze.  But I buy Toblerone bars anyway.


That's why God invented Deleware.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: slink on March 20, 2004, 09:00:18 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

It's no fable.  Today's weed is a total skull fucker over the dope of yesteryear.  Something like a factor of 10 in potency.

~Paul


Which I see as a good thing. What with my favourite pot in Amsterdam being AK47, named for a good reason.

And anyway, who the fuck pays for pot!?
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: sailor on March 20, 2004, 09:19:06 pm
oh man, here comes the weed thread.

WELL THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD INVITE HUEY LEWIS OVER AND OPEN THE WINDOWS.


Hold your fire guys, it's just tacos!
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 11:35:40 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "slink"
That's why I quit smoking (this time). Because 20 cost me £5. That's like fuck*ng 50cents a cigarette with current exchange rates.


That's why I quit smoking pot.  When it got to $25 dollars for a quarter of an ounce I said to hell with it.

~Paul


Jeez, when did you quit?  1972?
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2004, 01:18:32 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "slink"
That's why I quit smoking (this time). Because 20 cost me £5. That's like fuck*ng 50cents a cigarette with current exchange rates.


That's why I quit smoking pot.  When it got to $25 dollars for a quarter of an ounce I said to hell with it.

~Paul


Jeez, when did you quit?  1972?


More like '86-7 or something like that.  Is pot more expensive in KY?  I was buying it for $10.00 an ounce in '79.

~Paul
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: V-Adore on March 21, 2004, 01:32:40 am
It's so heartwarming to see an online comic about a cat with some substance issues creating communities via bonding over pot prices and intensity.

(I don't even know if I mean that sarcastically.)
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2004, 01:54:32 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "slink"
That's why I quit smoking (this time). Because 20 cost me £5. That's like fuck*ng 50cents a cigarette with current exchange rates.


That's why I quit smoking pot.  When it got to $25 dollars for a quarter of an ounce I said to hell with it.

~Paul


Jeez, when did you quit?  1972?


More like '86-7 or something like that.  Is pot more expensive in KY?  I was buying it for $10.00 an ounce in '79.

~Paul


$35 a quarter by the early eighties, pretty standard.  STL and KY.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2004, 03:24:58 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
It's so heartwarming to see an online comic about a cat with some substance issues creating communities via bonding over pot prices and intensity.

(I don't even know if I mean that sarcastically.)


I once smelled some pot through a wall.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: Choop on March 21, 2004, 03:45:33 am
1994-98, Asheville, NC, USA.

$15/quarter oz. - very low quality.

$25/quarter oz. - rather good quality.

$100/oz. - very high quality.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: slink on March 21, 2004, 09:21:36 am
Nowadays in the UK, can be found for about £80/oz.
Though usually goes for £20 1/8oz.

That is unless you buy resin, which isn't resin, and is evil and fucked up, and sells for £15 1/4oz.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: andalucia on March 21, 2004, 06:25:09 pm
Quote from: "slink"
resin, which isn't resin, and is evil and fucked up


Explain.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: V-Adore on March 22, 2004, 02:08:35 am
I think the closest I've ever been to being split on green have been a few occasions in a friend's common room; the friend's suitemate tended to engage particularly copiously in the particular game of golf, to the point that the guys up the stairwell eventually called the cops on him. The common room was very... fragrant.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: AugustWest on March 22, 2004, 04:28:29 am
You know, the additional significance of this strip just struck me.  Onstad must read the Playboy Advisor.  Yikes!
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2004, 04:50:44 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
You know, the additional significance of this strip just struck me.  Onstad must read the Playboy Advisor.  Yikes!


Is Ray's Place just a loving tribute to the advisor?  Or does Ray read the advisor to see what the competition is up to.

Are they actually quoting the advisor?  The last Playboy I read the interview was Fred Durst.  It's been a long slow painful decline over there and I couldn't stand to see any more.  I assume it hasn't improved over the last few years.

Playboy, Rolling Stone, and Mad.  Three once great magazines that now just make me sad.

~Paul
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: slink on March 22, 2004, 10:36:39 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

Explain.


Well.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/images/archive/hashish12.jpg
It's not actually resin, it's just what it gets called. It's Hashish, but well, it's not very good, hence the price.
The stone is very, very lethargic. Feels like there's no THC in there whatsoever, all just cannabinols.
It also makes you hack and cough like a dying cat if you smoke much of it, so as a student, when it's all you can afford and you smoke a half ounce in a night, you know about it.

There is speculation as to what they put in British hash. Scientists have claimed that it is leaf matter, as expected, although you would then expect that to only be padding out the resin. They reckon it includes coffee powder and shit to colour it, and everyone I know reckons there is tobacco in it. I don't think that makes sense since it would raise the price over something nastier, but I have noticed that it seems that way when you quit smoking.
Anyway, it's best avoided. You can buy proper resin over here (Squidgy Black) or Charisse, which is the resin with buds crushed into it, which is a fine smoke, but green is becoming far more prevalent of late.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: andalucia on March 22, 2004, 01:02:13 pm
That is indeed unfortunate slink, and I had no idea of the situation over yonder.  Here we are blessed with delicious, plentiful hash, as I live right near several hippie-enclave towns.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: slink on March 22, 2004, 01:23:31 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
That is indeed unfortunate slink, and I had no idea of the situation over yonder.


It's not so bad. I get by rather well really...
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: andalucia on March 22, 2004, 08:44:27 pm
Just be strong.
Title: Duty-free at both ends -- 3/19
Post by: slink on March 22, 2004, 09:39:12 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Just be strong.


It's called High Pressure Sodium.