The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on March 22, 2004, 08:35:36 am

Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 22, 2004, 08:35:36 am
I have never seen an apartment like this, but I think I know the type of person in question. Good strip. I'm a fan of the "heh."
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: V-Adore on March 22, 2004, 09:15:29 am
I now want to yell "POMMES ODER BROT?!" at people.

(Do the German actually use "Pommes" for fries? I don't remember my high-school German well enough to remember, except insofar as "pommes" is actually French.)

I like how, in the last three panels, Hr. Currywurst is looking around agitatedly.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: starlight on March 22, 2004, 09:24:09 am
This strip certainly made me giggle!
I'd probably get those looks like I'm a bit 'touched in the head' myself...
...I used to wear nature shirts, y'know... I bet I had an owl one

and yeah, I don't know any german, but I do believe pommes is French.. I took two years of that... hm
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: V-Adore on March 22, 2004, 09:28:13 am
Quote from: "starlight"

and yeah, I don't know any german, but I do believe pommes is French.. I took two years of that... hm

Well, I know "pommes" is French for "potatoes," which in German is "Kartoffeln." But I'm not sure if the Germans use "pommes" for fries, is all.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 22, 2004, 09:49:00 am
I thought it was a joke...french potatoes. But ye olde google suggests that Pommes-Frites is a common phrase in Germany.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: slink on March 22, 2004, 10:30:06 am
Touched in the head.
fuck*ng excellent.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: slink on March 22, 2004, 10:37:18 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
But I'm not sure if the Germans use "pommes" for fries, is all.


Yea they do. I remember that from my days of sleeping through German class.

Literally, every lesson!
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: andalucia on March 22, 2004, 01:04:12 pm
Pommes = apples
Pommes de terre (apples of the ground) = potatos.


8 years wide awake in French class.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: AugustWest on March 22, 2004, 02:38:04 pm
I'm just wondering if we're going to meet Cousin Kev.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 22, 2004, 02:56:50 pm
"Pommes," jawohl.  In Mannheim I saw a shop called "Big Pom" that featured the largest pile of cooked fries that I've ever seen.  It was, like, four feet high.  And they were sellin' them like it was no joke.

In Berlin, there was a restaurant called "Kartoffelhaus No. 1," literally "Potato House #1."  Didn't actually eat there, but their menu was all potato dishes, all the time.

I prefer doner kebab to currywurst, danke sehr.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2004, 05:59:31 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I like how, in the last three panels, Hr. Currywurst is looking around agitatedly.


He seems to be looking at who's talking. Maybe he's trying to figure out if Ray's ever going to come back and finish his order or just stand around yaking like a dumb American.
Title: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
Post by: V-Adore on March 27, 2004, 06:58:27 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"

In Berlin, there was a restaurant called "Kartoffelhaus No. 1," literally "Potato House #1."  Didn't actually eat there, but their menu was all potato dishes, all the time.

Are you sure this wasn't some sort of bad Monty Python sketch? I'm reminded of their German special, particularly their "WILKOMMEN INS BAYERN, WO DIE BAUEME AUS HOLZ SIND"* sketch.

* Literally, "welcome to Bavaria, where the trees are made of wood."