The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on March 23, 2004, 11:05:33 pm
-
I met a friend in front of the Erotic Museum, but we did not venture inside.
-
I'm surprised to hear Ray say "an historical."
-
Really? I'm not. He has hella class.
But this strip is for sure seven kinds of great.
-
I'm surprised to hear Ray say "an historical."
But really, I don't think you should be.
-
Woohoo! My first Achewood boards simulpost.
By the way, I am drunk.
-
I'm surprised to hear Ray say "an historical."
I'm not. Ray probably thinks it makes him sound classy and is unaware that it's considered wrong in American English. Like HS drama geeks who write "honour" and shit.
-
Maybe they're Canadian?
-
You totally called us on it.
-
Maybe they're Canadian?
NOOOO.
Please don't tell me the Canadians have infiltrated Achewood Manor too. No doubt bringing their stinking socialist low murder rate and universal health insurance and the letter 'zed.' Is nothing sacred?
But if so, did they at least bring me some of those Montreal bagels I used to get when I lived in Toronto?
-
What the HELL people, eh?
-
Damn this fucker didn't even get 10 post before it careened off a bridge. Topic? We don't need no steenking topic.
I was just going to say that Lavender Cavendish has a handlebar moustache, i'm certain of it.
~Paul
-
I'm surprised to hear Ray say "an historical."
I'm not. Ray probably thinks it makes him sound classy and is unaware that it's considered wrong in American English. Like HS drama geeks who write "honour" and shit.
I write with the proper 'u' when appropriate... I think I started doing that around '00 and I don't recall why... now it's just a habit. I do admit, the word 'superiour' looks wrong with a 'u', so I feel all contradicting if I just write it 'superior' after much thought... the stress I go through!
---
As for the strip, my favourite (hah) bit was the term 'skin-skiffle' in the alt text... first thing I noticed.
-
I do admit, the word 'superiour' looks wrong with a 'u', so I feel all contradicting if I just write it 'superior' after much thought... .
Actually, I'm pretty sure no one spells it with a u.
-
I do admit, the word 'superiour' looks wrong with a 'u'
It's never had a u over here, and we invented the damn language!
Honour however. Just like colour really.
But yea, Ray is classy enough to use an before an h.
That's one of the reasons I totally dig Ray; that he speaks real English, with all the trappings.
He wouldn't make fun of me for it. Damn friends!
-
I do admit, the word 'superiour' looks wrong with a 'u'
It's never had a u over here, and we invented the damn language!
Honour however. Just like colour really.
Okay, good.. now I don't feel contradicting ..I avoided looking stupid ...err, beyond that I even *thought* it might have a 'u' and wrote it here... *ahem*
I once had a website called hazycolour and a Canadian commended me on spelling it the right way ...hah.
-
Enough with the prescriptive grammar, pedants.
-
Enough with the prescriptive grammar, pedants.
Proscriptive grammar all the way!
That is why we are not apes.
-
Enough with the prescriptive grammar, pedants.
Proscriptive grammar all the way!
That is why we are not apes.
I thought it had more to do with our mastery of computer porn. Well, and fire. But mainly porn.
-
Enough with the prescriptive grammar, pedants.
Proscriptive grammar all the way!
That is why we are not apes.
I thought it had more to do with our mastery of computer porn. Well, and fire. But mainly porn.
It is attitudes like that which are the reason my flaming porn has so many grammar errors in it.
-
By the way, I am drunk.
ME TOO
see all my posts tongith
drunk Chris = happy chris
YAYA
hove some dignity
-
hove some dignity
Indeed.
-
Indeed.
Well, at least someone thought of something to say!
-
Late again, but hey:
As I understand it, "an (history/historical/historian)" actually is correct in American English, although I believe it's a little jargony. It tends to be a usage confined to historians and academics -- or so says my father, who is a(n) historian and presumably knows.
-
In general pronunciation rules which why you say "an mp3" even though it starts with a consonant. So for "an historic" to be correct you have to drop the h when you say it out loud which most americans don't do so it just ends up sounding funny.
It started bugging me when all the newscasters started consistently saying it (even Jon Stewart~!) apparently because it sounds vaguely british and therefore more sophisticated.