The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2004, 05:34:44 am

Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2004, 05:34:44 am
One Dave Mathews is too many.

~Paul
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2004, 05:39:10 am
Well that was weird, Dave Letterman said "Man that John Mayer is Fantastic" and the closed caption said "Man that John Mayer is pathetic."

Hmm...

~Paul
Title: Re: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: jough on March 30, 2004, 06:29:51 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
One Dave Mathews is too many.


THANK YOU!

About a year ago, when the infomercial for Mayer's album was playing on late night tv, I said to my SO of the time "I liked him better when he was called Dave Matthews."  I've since used that line numerous times, always to people who say "I don't see it."

Finally, vindication.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: V-Adore on March 30, 2004, 07:31:52 am
I will confess that I enjoy John Mayer, albeit not in a particularly intellectual sort of way. "No Such Thing" is a fine single; Room For Squares is an uneven album, and nothing else on it is quite as good as "No Such Thing," but what the hey, I enjoy it.

I don't think of him as particularly Dave Matthews-esque, but whatever floats your boats.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: CortJstr on March 30, 2004, 03:03:59 pm
I'd never heard of him before Chapelle's Show and I was quite un-impressed.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: St_Zartan on March 30, 2004, 03:59:08 pm
Is this the guy who has that song called like Your Body is a Playground or something? A friend of mine has this CD, if I'm remembering right, and I remember reading the track listing off the back of the case and thinking it was really cheesy make-out R&B.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: V-Adore on March 30, 2004, 08:32:10 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Is this the guy who has that song called like Your Body is a Playground or something? A friend of mine has this CD, if I'm remembering right, and I remember reading the track listing off the back of the case and thinking it was really cheesy make-out R&B.

"Your Body is a Wonderland," yeah. And it is faintly cheesy make-out rock, but in a way I find slightly endearing -- the whole "guy who knows just how good he's got it and is grateful if slightly confused" genre.

(Of course, a friend of mine is convinced "Your Body Is a Wonderland" is a stalker song. I don't entirely know why.)
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: Limmo on March 31, 2004, 12:04:30 am
John Mayer's been spending a lot of time lately bringing Buddy Guy along with him for public performances.  If that means a few extra copies of Hoodoo Man Blues or Sweet Tea are purchased for those late-night sessions around a gravity bong full of Red Zinger, Mayer is forgiven.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: andalucia on March 31, 2004, 01:17:39 am
That really does change everything.

Mayer = ok!
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: Limmo on March 31, 2004, 02:14:33 am
It's easy for me to forgive him because he has no impact on my musical life whatsoevah.  If he were inescapable, like, I don't know, whoever's inescapable these days - Evanescence? - then he'd need to bring R.L. Burnside along too.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2004, 02:15:34 am
Man you totally played the Buddy Guy card.

~Paul
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: CortJstr on March 31, 2004, 02:41:09 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
It's easy for me to forgive him because he has no impact on my musical life whatsoevah.  If he were inescapable, like, I don't know, whoever's inescapable these days - Evanescence? - then he'd need to bring R.L. Burnside along too.


Did Evanescence have more than one song? You must be thinking of Linkin Park.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2004, 02:49:26 am
Clay Aiken is now a superstar, I shit you not.

~Paul
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: V-Adore on March 31, 2004, 08:49:13 pm
It terrifies me that real people care significantly about the "musical career" of Clay Aiken.

Evanescence I would like more were they not so obsessively overplayed, yeah. And were the entire world not convinced they were "metal" or "hard rock" when they appear to actually be "typical female-vocalist whinepop, except with guitars."
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2004, 04:40:46 am
what about "Five for Fighting" -a one man band that also sounds just like Dave Mathews too.  Also: Hi all, I miss you.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: slink on April 03, 2004, 08:26:29 am
Quote from: "side_show"
what about "Five for Fighting" -a one man band that also sounds just like Dave Mathews too.  Also: Hi all, I miss you.


*steps back*
Howdy. I have conference to tell you about now you're back! I say leaving for another one.
I'd have stuff from the last one but unfortunately there wasn't much they were giving out. I may be able to get some of the stuff particularly from (finds the programme) Christine Welsh, like more than the abstract I have here. But I'll whitter about that somewhere else.


Anyway, to what I was saying, which was to avoid Evanescence, which is highly wise - just don't turn on the TV!
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2004, 09:32:31 pm
Isn't Five For Fighting the band who did that slow, schmaltzy song about Superman basically being angry that he was born?

If so, they can entirely go to die. My crappy pop radio was ruined for a sizable period of time by that song.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2004, 09:55:37 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Isn't Five For Fighting the band who did that slow, schmaltzy song about Superman basically being angry that he was born?

If so, they can entirely go to die. My crappy pop radio was ruined for a sizable period of time by that song.


Yes, that is "Five for Fighting," but as I mentioned, "Five for Fighting" is only one guy.  How pretentious to give yourself a name like you're band, but you're not, your only one sucky guy.  With a name like "Five for Fighting," perhaps he's hoping to get beat up less?
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2004, 09:56:54 pm
"Five For Fighting" is one dude? Ridiculous.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2004, 10:22:44 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
"Five For Fighting" is one dude? Ridiculous.


http://bandaid502.tripod.com/iamstillstuckonbandaids/id6.html

I've never seen what the actual guy looks like 'til now, so now I'm even more annoyed.  

Also annoying, John Mayer lyric from Your Body is a Wonderland: " your candy lips, and bubble gum tongue."  Bubble gum tongue?!  Go to hell!
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2004, 10:39:24 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Isn't Five For Fighting the band who did that slow, schmaltzy song about Superman basically being angry that he was born?

If so, they can entirely go to die. My crappy pop radio was ruined for a sizable period of time by that song.


Yes, that is "Five for Fighting," but as I mentioned, "Five for Fighting" is only one guy.  How pretentious to give yourself a name like you're band, but you're not, your only one sucky guy.  With a name like "Five for Fighting," perhaps he's hoping to get beat up less?


I read that the name Five For Fighting was refering to the fingers that clinch to make a fist.  I don't know if this helps their cause in this discussion or makes matters worse.  Anywho, they appeared at the Concert for New York 9-11 benefit and I remember there being were two of 'em there.  Regarless of all that, musically speaking I think the technical term that best describes their sound is -it sucks-.

~Paul
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: andalucia on April 04, 2004, 09:02:15 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I read that the name Five For Fighting was refering to the fingers that clinch to make a fist.  I don't know if this helps their cause in this discussion or makes matters worse.


Worse, as it raises the problem of the thumb.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2004, 11:46:46 pm
Yes, as any first-grader knows, there are only four fingers; the thumb is... well, a thumb. Duh.

Anyway, I don't particularly care whether FfF* is one guy or two. All I know is that any band with "Five" in the name should either be Ben Folds Five, god bless their souls, or actually consist of five members.

* optimally to be pronounced "fff"
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2004, 01:00:40 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I read that the name Five For Fighting was refering to the fingers that clinch to make a fist.  I don't know if this helps their cause in this discussion or makes matters worse.


Worse, as it raises the problem of the thumb.


How about if we say "digits" instead of "fingers"?
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: andalucia on April 05, 2004, 01:02:03 am
Back in my radio listening days there was a boy-band called 5ive (or something to that extent) that always tricked me up: Five-ive?
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2004, 01:03:17 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Back in my radio listening days there was a boy-band called 5ive (or something to that extent) that always tricked me up: Five-ive?


That reminds me of people who insist on writing that movie title as "Se7en"
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: sjlimmer on April 05, 2004, 01:15:51 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
All I know is that any band with "Five" in the name should either be Ben Folds Five, god bless their souls, or actually consist of five members.


No allowance for Jurassic 5?  Also, this topic has forced me to find out if there were indeed the correct numbers of folks in MC5 and/or the Dave Clark 5.  Damn conventionalists.

Additionally, I have never heard of this John Mayer person, and I am quite glad.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: andalucia on April 05, 2004, 01:56:37 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
That reminds me of people who insist on writing that movie title as "Se7en"


I always always scan that as Sezen.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2004, 02:53:02 am
Quote from: "sjlimmer"

No allowance for Jurassic 5?

Not familiar with them. However, if they are awesome (and plural on some level), I'll grant them dispensation.

I have never been able to stomach "Se7en" as a writing. The movie itself sort of makes me want to hurt things, but that spelling more so.
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2004, 04:25:12 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Back in my radio listening days there was a boy-band called 5ive (or something to that extent) that always tricked me up: Five-ive?


OMG, I thought I was the only one that pronounced it five-ive.  Not that I actually discussed this group with anyone ever, but I imagined I would be greeted by blank stares if I were to try to explain logically to a 10 year old girl (who else would I be talking boy bands with?) that 5ive should be pronounced five-ive.  I mean really, the ive is totally superfulous.  How can you listen to that crap anyway.  Oh come on, stop crying.

~Paul
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2004, 04:30:44 am
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
No allowance for Jurassic 5?  Also, this topic has forced me to find out if there were indeed the correct numbers of folks in MC5 and/or the Dave Clark 5.  Damn conventionalists.


Let's not forget Bobby Fuller Four

~Paul
Title: What's up with John Mayer?
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2004, 01:39:58 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Back in my radio listening days there was a boy-band called 5ive (or something to that extent) that always tricked me up: Five-ive?


OMG, I thought I was the only one that pronounced it five-ive.  Not that I actually discussed this group with anyone ever, but I imagined I would be greeted by blank stares if I were to try to explain logically to a 10 year old girl (who else would I be talking boy bands with?) that 5ive should be pronounced five-ive.  I mean really, the ive is totally superfulous.  How can you listen to that crap anyway.  Oh come on, stop crying.

~Paul


At first glace I'd pronounce it either "Sive" or "lame"