The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on April 02, 2004, 10:25:50 pm

Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: jay-ell on April 02, 2004, 10:25:50 pm
Don't forget to "Spring Ahead" tomorrow.  (Void where prohibited.  Restrictions apply.)  

Pedro hates the very concept of Daylight Saving Time.  I find it harmless, and laugh at him for spending time and brainwaves thinking about how much it irritates him.  What do you think?  Love it or leave it?  

And let me issue a pre-emptive "sucks to you" for those who live in states/countries that do not observe DST.  I know what to expect from you troublemakers.  

Non-conformists.  

Hippies.

Right.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: Limmo on April 02, 2004, 10:47:15 pm
I hate it when we "fall back," but I love days like tomorrow, when we get a whole extra hour of sunlight at dusk.  So it all evens out.

On the list of Things That Bother Me, DST falls somewhere in the low 900s or so.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: CortJstr on April 02, 2004, 11:34:04 pm
I'm against it this year since I'm supposed to be at a concert in Bawlmer until 2 which means I'll be there until 3 plus travel time.

But mad props for not pluralizing daylight, which is a pet peeve of mine.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: wombat on April 02, 2004, 11:40:39 pm
I don't see why it can't stay Daylight Saving Time all year round.  Why do we ever change back?

And I hate that getting up an hour earlier thing.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2004, 03:20:34 am
I am sort of vaguely opposed to "spring ahead," since it will cost me a whole hour of sleep before my flight back to school on Sunday, but given as I will likely spend the entire flight sleeping anyway, who cares?
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: Choop on April 03, 2004, 03:53:15 am
I used to be an opponent of DST, because I thought it was an outdated measure taken to guarantee the economic safety of the nation what with farmers being able to rise at the right time by the clock and what have you. I read a study a few years ago which caused me to switch to being a proponent of DST - as it turns out, all of our drains on the planet are lower due to the time change: less electricity is used in the summer to keep lights on, etc., and less gas is used in the winter to keep heat on, etc.

Bottom line, I'm all for less energy consumption. Especially when that energy consumption is directly related to the sizes of my bills.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2004, 05:08:25 am
I hate DST. Fuck you farmers!
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: jough on April 03, 2004, 06:26:25 am
I wish time changed all the time by random increments.  Then NO ONE would know what time it was.  All of a sudden it would get dark because the time changed, and then the next minute it would be high noon again.

I'M TALKING CHAOS HERE, PEOPLE
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: slink on April 03, 2004, 08:30:03 am
Quote from: "side_show"
I hate DST. Fuck you farmers!


Beat me to it.
And there aren't even any farmers left over here after foot and mouth. And they all have floodlights on their tractors. And they all suck.

I don't see why they have to fuck with time!
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2004, 08:36:21 pm
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_052.html

http://tf.nist.gov/general/daylightsavingtime.html
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: Nabubrush on April 04, 2004, 09:52:20 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I wish time changed all the time by random increments.  Then NO ONE would know what time it was.  All of a sudden it would get dark because the time changed, and then the next minute it would be high noon again.

I'M TALKING CHAOS HERE, PEOPLE

I'll go for that. We could have like six time changes in a week, and then nothing for two years, and then all of a sudden have the month change on us. Good times!
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: andalucia on April 04, 2004, 10:13:44 pm
Dammit, despite this board's debate, I still forgot to change my watch forward this morning, and thanks to a Saturday night with this stuff (http://www.carlorossi.com/), was quite perplexed and enraged by the whole concept this morning.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2004, 10:40:14 pm
Yup, and I forgot to change my alarm clock and was late for work.  First time in my life I forget to change the clocks and it would have to be when I have a job where I work on Sundays.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2004, 11:41:58 pm
As duly predicted, I got shafted an hour of sleep before my flight. At least I managed to catch a nap on the plane, which gave me the incredible sensation of having been transported from Lincoln to Chicago instantly.

(And my night was all about a long, creepy nightmare in which at one point Steven Seagal hurled insults at me about my virtue. Mind you, in my subconscious this was terrifying. Go figure.)
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2004, 02:56:49 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(And my night was all about a long, creepy nightmare in which at one point Steven Seagal hurled insults at me about my virtue. Mind you, in my subconscious this was terrifying. Go figure.)



YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!!!
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2004, 02:57:36 am
:weeps:
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2004, 02:58:51 am
:weeps some more:

Subconscious, hell!  Any personal contact with Steven Seagal is pretty damn terrifying in my book.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 05, 2004, 07:20:54 pm
I totally frickin' spaced on DST.  A friend called me at what I thought was 10 AM, asking if we were still having softball practice at 11:30.  "Sure are," I said.  "OK, see you soon," he said.  "What do you mean?  It's not for another hour and a half."

I still made it to the field before everyone else.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: misterhaan on April 05, 2004, 08:19:57 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Especially when that energy consumption is directly related to the sizes of my bills.


at first, i read "bills" as "balls"

anyway, i am voting against daylight savings time just because i feel like lying.  daylight savings time is actually a rather convenient excuse for the next few weeks or so.  i use it for absolutely everything!  the "spring forward" daylight savings time change is the more convenient of the two, because it becomes a good reason for why i didn't have time to do something, instead of just a completely made-up reason.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: misterhaan on April 05, 2004, 08:21:08 pm
okay, so i broke down and voted 'yay' after all.  besides, change is good!
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2004, 08:37:50 pm
Another growing unpleasantry: walking to my 9:00 class while the elements are still firmly convinced it's 7:45 or so. Bleah.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: Limmo on April 05, 2004, 08:49:09 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Another growing unpleasantry: walking to my 9:00 class while the elements are still firmly convinced it's 7:45 or so. Bleah.


Ah, the joys of a Western Massachusetts spring, where it's really winter until about May 10.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2004, 10:35:57 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Another growing unpleasantry: walking to my 9:00 class while the elements are still firmly convinced it's 7:45 or so. Bleah.

Ah, the joys of a Western Massachusetts spring, where it's really winter until about May 10.

Yes.
fuck*ng snow! Jesus Haploid Christ, what is this shit?

(Besides "snow." I get that.)
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 06, 2004, 12:51:03 am
We don't do daylight savings here. Being in relatively terms close to the equator (on the tropic of Cancer, more or less) means pretty steady daylight hours. It screws up TV since cable feeds are mainly on West Coast Time, and talk radio broadcast live is also screwed up. But for the most part, we get plenty of daylight, thanks, no need to save it.
Title: Daylight Saving Time
Post by: Nabubrush on April 06, 2004, 09:58:32 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
AlohaDawg, I am trying real hard not to hate you right now.

How's that working out for you, Wombat?