The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2004, 05:28:31 am
-
As the song says "You don't know what you've got til it's gone." When Jough and JL, the sneaky devils, shut the board down for their April's fool gag it got me to thinking. I never seriously thought the board was closed for good, but it was gone long enough for me to start having doubts. And in it's absence I began to realize just how much I enjoy this little place. So I just wanted to say thanks to Jough for hosting this board, thanks to JL for being such a good moderator, and thanks to all the rest of you for being the quirky bunch of oddballs that give me cause to smile on a daily basis.
Now, they say that in every lie there is a kernel of truth. In his April Fools letter Jough mentioned the cost of running this board as a reason for shutting it down. I don't know what the actual cost of running this board is, or if the ads are or are not offsetting the cost, but if Jough is paying anything at all to operate this place I say it's too much. So i'd like to make an appeal to those that can, please hit the tip jar and put a little something in Jough's pocket. He deserves it.
TIP JAR (https://plagiarist.com/secure/payments/)
~Paul
-
Amen.
My brief moment of lack-of-board-induced panic was far too long.
-
I straight up thought it was toast. I'm all sitting here, thinking "why didn't you check the board the last few days," all telling the fiancee that all my internet friends are gone, all ruing the day, all wondering what will become of Opus.
Overreact much? Not me.
-
Done and done.
Lets give these babies some gold-plated diapers.
Or at least try to keep Jough out of the poorhouse.
Seriously, I know I'm the new guy, but I really, really enjoy this board. Thanks to Jough and JL for all of their awesome contributions!
-
I didn't really believe they'd do it without asking if someone else wanted to take over. But I did consider getting a life just in case it was for real.
PS: It was recently revealed that Wombat's spouse has been lurking on the board, and he is being nagged to stop drinking all the good scotch without even contributing a lousy six-pack to the tip jar.
-
I don't know what you mean about shutting down the board, but I definitely second the motion to hit the tip jar. Jough has put an awful lot of time and effort into the technical side of this board, and I know that he's invested quite a bit of pocket money on top of it. I know not everybody can afford to chip in, but to those who can, please do. I've donated once before but really need to do so again -- as soon as I have a little scratch together.
Thanks for such a sweet and inspiring message, Paul. You're a real prince.
-
I love all of you.
I just tipped.
-
I love all of you.
Hurt by the cold?
So hard, and lonely too?
Because we don't know OURSEEEELLLVEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS????
*GUITAR SOLO ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK*
-
You guys are awesome. I don't know why you'd think I'd want to shut down the board, but I appreciate the coin in the tip jar. It has been getting more expensive this year to run the thing, as we're getting a LOT of lurkers lately.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to make the freeloaders pay their way while the regulars can get a free ride. It's just hard to find advertisers willing to pay to advertise on a message board.
P.S. to Wombat: I hope you haven't gotten backlash from the spouse about certain steam-tunnel issues.
-
[W]e're getting a LOT of lurkers lately.
I find that so incredibly comical/perplexing/delightful/disconcerting.
-
I find that so incredibly comical/perplexing/delightful/disconcerting.
Yeah, who the hell is observing this bizarre, dare I say it, gumbo of personalities?
LURKERS, IDENTIFY YOURSELF!
-
I find that so incredibly comical/perplexing/delightful/disconcerting.
Yeah, who the hell is observing this bizarre, dare I say it, gumbo of personalities?
LURKERS, IDENTIFY YOURSELF!
Uh, isn't this something like saying,
SHY PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!!
Oh yeah, and what Paul said. I was already thinking that Paul was a prince of a fellow, and that sentiment just doubled it.
-
I love all of you.
I just tipped.
Ditto.
Let's try to keep Jough awash in green so we don't have to suffer an April 2 surprise for real.
( Not that I believed the hoax for a moment. Not me, no sir. Didn't spend a single moment pondering the life-void that would have ensued. I'm not going to cry, I'm NOT GOING TO CRY. )
-
P.S. to Wombat: I hope you haven't gotten backlash from the spouse about certain steam-tunnel issues.
You may be disappointed to know that when questions arise as to what weird people I am hanging out with on the internet... your name has not come up.
I know, I don't understand it either.
-
He can't pronounce it.
-
He can't pronounce it.
We get around that as referring to him as Number One.
-
He can't pronounce it.
We get around that as referring to him as Number One.
Would that be the Frakes "Number One" (http://images.google.com/images?q=william+riker&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search) or the Stewart "Number One" (http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:7qdbtQuPaz8J:www.snpp.com/episodes/2F09.html+%22number+one%22+site:snpp.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)?
-
Actually, it's the "The Prisoner" Number One, who's much, much more mysterious and frightening.
-
I am feeling the love.
Thank you again to all three of you who showed me the money. Hugs and/or high-fives all around.
-
There's some more $ for the kitty, Jough. BTW, what the Hell is with all the lurkers lately? I'm on with one other registered person, and 8 guests? Is it just people who can't be bothered to log in unless they have something to post?
-
I guess we should be flattered that we are all that fascinating.
-
Well, shit, 45 people have registered and only posted once or not at all. It's not like a person has to give up blood, urine, and sperm samples to register. I just think it's odd, is all.
-
A lot of the lurkers don't even register. And you're all forgetting the Great Membership Purge™ of January 2004, when we deleted over 100 members who neither verified their accounts or posted.
Anyway, the majority of traffic comes from Google now. We get about 3,800 unique visitors a day.
-
We get about 3,800 unique visitors a day.
*insert random delightfully antediluvian expression of surprise from the old-but-good-expressions thread here*
-
We get about 3,800 unique visitors a day.
My stars and garters!
-
My stars and garters!
Uh... wrong thread (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=865)?
edit: OH WAIT I SEE. Damn, jough, that's a load of hits*. Maybe registration SHOULD be required. We probably won't find out until there's a sticky about it in the main forum, though (via a massive onslaught of registrations).
*man am i glad i spelled that right the first time
-
We get about 3,800 unique visitors a day.
*insert random delightfully antediluvian expression of surprise from the old-but-good-expressions thread here*
Holy Crap!
-
What's the line between a freeloader and someone who just doesn't have much to say? I like to think I at least try to contribute, even if I am standing out on the lawn.
(Oh, and thanks for letting me have a lawn to stand on. If it wasn't for you I'd have to eat cocktail weenies in the park instead. I will activate the tip jar once I have a job and income again and can afford to bring my own cocktail weenies.)
-
That's the joy of having a site with a wide variety of crap on it. I quite enjoy searching through the log files for my little domain (300-400 hits/day) and seeing what odd searches brought people there. Some greatest hits from a couple months ago:
victim piranha attack
jello in the garbage
marcus samuelson meat loaf recipe
vegas dial-a-stripper
potted meat
Why did Scotland people come to Wisconson
BEST EVER CHICKEN PHOTOS
giantess strong women wrestling
bug zapper wave sound file download
jobs for monkeys
national anthem hockey boob
rat hair vienna sausage
snail man song
yakitori vs teriyaki
hookers at the bar in vegas photos
Lenny Dykstra is a jerk
honey bunches of goats
-
That list will keep me chortling all day.
Honey Bunches of Goats??
-
Do you, in fact, have the BEST EVER CHICKEN PHOTOS on your site?
I'm rolling around over here. That's a quality list. And it's true, Lenny Dykstra is a jerk.
-
That's about the best list of these I've ever seen outside of those which work particularly blue.
(A friend of mine's website used to get lots of hits for people actually typing in questions about how to masturbate. He never figured out why, let alone why so many people needed to ask Google how.)
-
V-Adore, apparently you don't understand how damn CONFUSING it can be the first time. If I had a resource that told me how to masturbate, I'd still have my left foot.
-
"Honey Bunches of Goats" is an entry on the infamous list of Jello Flavors That Should Never Be (http://www.bigfool.com/bwg/jello.htm), which generates more than its fair share of weird search requests.
And here's BEST CHICKEN PHOTO EVER:
(http://www.bigfool.com/mascots/chicken.jpg)
-
Dammit, man - what about the Jobs for Monkeys??? I have my own reasons for needing to know this.
-
But wait there's more! These are from January:
animatronic penguins
mr chicken mascot ("That's 'Mister Chicken Mascot' to you!")
stolen Escalade El Paso
pictures of the boy who played john from remember always i love you
miller lite formaldehyde
Rickey Henderson and his wife
scrotum baked ham (ewwwwwwwww!)
animated singing armadillos
I am an overweight man poetry
when ottawa senators frist stanley cup (I had no idea Bill Frist was a Sens fan.)
triangular tube box wine
chickens kill eachother
-
I typed in "I am an overweight man poetry" and got a dating site for people with herpes.
Go figure.
-
Triangular Tube Box Wine = the worst box wine ever.
-
NOTICE: All works included herein are NOT in the public domain. All copyrights are retained by the authors. Web sites may freely link to this front page at http://www.bigfool.com/archive.htm, but may not link directly to any story or other included work. If you have completely lost your mind and are interested in publishing any of the included works in any format, please e-mail Carl to be put in touch with the relevant parties (please use "Bizarre Writers Guild" as your subject line). Contributions to or questions about the Bizarre Writers' Guild should also be directed to Carl, that big fool.
Send Tor some of your lunch while you're at it. He really likes a big piece o beef .
Well, how about that? I'm going to email Carl.
Wait.