The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on April 05, 2004, 12:06:10 pm

Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2004, 12:06:10 pm
Good as far as it goes, although does anyone else find it ironic that it's Philippe mugging with the whiskey props?
Title: Re: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 05, 2004, 12:56:23 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Good as far as it goes, although does anyone else find it ironic that it's Philippe mugging with the whiskey props?


Between the whisky museum and the battered Mars Bars, this seems like pure Lyle.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2004, 01:37:21 pm
Mars Bars fall into the category of Candy I Recall Being Advertised In My Youth But Never Actually Tried Or Even Saw Others Eat And Didn't Know They Even Still Made.

This also includes things like 5th Avenue, Pay Day, and Clark.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2004, 01:43:02 pm
Hmmm, if I recall correctly a Mars Bar is like a 3 Muskateers, only with almonds.  Fifth Avenues and Clark Bars are very similar -- kind of Butterfinger-like but with a slightly less peanut butter vibe.  And PayDays rock.  Go get one, now.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2004, 02:13:38 pm
Yeah, I was thinking Lyle, myself. All staring at the distillery in barely-disguised wonder, all daydreaming about Liquid Banjo...
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: jough on April 05, 2004, 02:42:33 pm
I like Philippe's stylish new scarf.

And Mars Bars are made by the Mars Candy Company of Mars, PA.  They also make Twix and M&Ms (among others).
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 05, 2004, 03:00:27 pm
Quote from: "jough"
the Mars Candy Company of Mars, PA.  They also make Twix and M&Ms (among others).


Thus answering the question, "If the moon is made of cheese, what is Mars made of?"



A. People
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on April 05, 2004, 04:27:48 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I like Philippe's stylish new scarf.

And Mars Bars are made by the Mars Candy Company of Mars, PA.  They also make Twix and M&Ms (among others).


I can't find a link that does a comparison right now, but apparently a UK Mars bar and a US Mars bar are two very different things, sharing a brand only.

Is Phillipe's scarf just fetching or does it have some sort of Edinburghian significance?
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: andalucia on April 05, 2004, 05:05:57 pm
Wait- America = no Mars bars?  Or are you just saying that yours are different?  In Canada, they don't have almonds, just several kinds of delicious goo.  They're one of my fave chocolate bars, although Caramilks are our archetypal inside-joke stoned-food.

[Edit to clarify:  We have almonds, they just don't live in Mars bars.]
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: jough on April 05, 2004, 05:20:49 pm
Mars bars, to my knowledge, contain no almonds.  I believe those in Canadia eat American Mars Bars.

I also believe that Scottish Mars Bars have absolutely nothing to do with the American brand name.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2004, 05:43:31 pm
More than you ever wanted to know about Mars Bars. (http://totl.net/VisibleMars/)  Notice the almonds.  Heh.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2004, 05:46:11 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I also believe that Scottish Mars Bars have absolutely nothing to do with the American brand name.


I think the Scots Mars Bars have extra haggis.  Nothin' like a little sheep stomach in the middle of the afternoon when you need some energy!
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: Bozack on April 05, 2004, 05:57:22 pm
I don't know WHERE THE HELL YA'LL HAVE BEEN but I have consumed many a Mars Bar and found them all types of delicious.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2004, 06:14:28 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
"YA'LL"


Good natured pedantry follows.

An apostrophe indicates that a letter (or letters) is missing, right?  "Y'all" is a contraction of "You all", no?  Therefore the apostrophe should go where the "ou" was -- after the "Y" and before the "A".  Thus, Y'all not Ya'll.

That is all.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: arkabee on April 05, 2004, 06:47:30 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bozack"
"YA'LL"


Good natured pedantry follows.

An apostrophe indicates that a letter (or letters) is missing, right?  "Y'all" is a contraction of "You all", no?  Therefore the apostrophe should go where the "ou" was -- after the "Y" and before the "A".  Thus, Y'all not Ya'll.

That is all.


ya all got that right...
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: arlucasinc on April 05, 2004, 08:04:19 pm
Quote from: "jough"
And Mars Bars are made by the Mars Candy Company of Mars, PA.  They also make Twix and M&Ms (among others).


Being from Pittsburgh (which is about 40 miles from Mars) and working in Cranberry (just a few scant miles from Mars), I can assure you that the Mars Candy company is not from there. No matter how much I wish it were.

Here's more info:

http://www.mars.com/About_us/The_Mars_story.asp

Note that the UK Mars bar is the US Milky Way. Very interesting.

As far as TOTL's assessment of the US Mars bar goes, I couldn't disagree more. The Mars bar is one of my favorites. I don't know what the hell they're on about.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: sailor on April 05, 2004, 09:43:54 pm
OK, people. Y'all are passionately discussing candy bars in absence of Achewood. You need to get lives. Move on. Try other websites. You might like it.

And AugustWest, your militant gammarianism will no longer be tolerated.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2004, 10:33:32 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
OK, people. Y'all are passionately discussing candy bars in absence of Achewood. You need to get lives. Move on. Try other websites. You might like it.

This as opposed to our normal classiness of passionately discussing giraffe placentas and indie rock on the sidelines of passionately discussing whether or not Ray is a "real" cat within a "normal" worldsetting or an anthro cat in a worldsetting full of them?

AND WHAT ABOUT SCARECROW'S BRAIN?!
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: CortJstr on April 06, 2004, 12:20:35 am
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Note that the UK Mars bar is the US Milky Way. Very interesting.


I'd always heard the story that the Milky Way and 3 Muskateers names were accidently switched (since what we know as a Milky Way has 3 ingredients) but never saw proof. Of course I never went poking around either so I'll just live in ignorance.

I always found it odd that the back of many a candy says "Mars/M&M" yet none of my friend ever had a Mars Bar. I but the average 8-year-old American hasn't even heard of a Mars Bar.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: Bozack on April 06, 2004, 12:51:36 am
Quote from: "Mars"
When it comes to reaching new markets, the pace has, if anything, accelerated in recent years.Mars now has a direct presence in over 60 countries, and its products are sold in well over 100.Fiercely independent and committed to its private ownership, Mars is now a truly global powerhouse, providing a platform from which today's innovations can become tomorrow's world-leading brands.[/size]


ALL HAIL MARS! TRULY, MARS IS CIVILIZATION!
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: CortJstr on April 06, 2004, 12:57:25 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Mars"
When it comes to reaching new markets, the pace has, if anything, accelerated in recent years.Mars now has a direct presence in over 60 countries, and its products are sold in well over 100.Fiercely independent and committed to its private ownership, Mars is now a truly global powerhouse, providing a platform from which today's innovations can become tomorrow's world-leading brands.[/size]


ALL HAIL MARS! TRULY, MARS IS CIVILIZATION!

Clearly the Chrono-Synclastic Infundibulum has something to do with this.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AugustWest on April 06, 2004, 01:11:54 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Mars"
When it comes to reaching new markets, the pace has, if anything, accelerated in recent years.Mars now has a direct presence in over 60 countries, and its products are sold in well over 100.Fiercely independent and committed to its private ownership, Mars is now a truly global powerhouse, providing a platform from which today's innovations can become tomorrow's world-leading brands.[/size]


ALL HAIL MARS! TRULY, MARS IS CIVILIZATION!


Hold me Mommy, I'm scared...
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AugustWest on April 06, 2004, 01:17:33 am
Quote from: "sailor"
OK, people. Y'all are passionately discussing candy bars in absence of Achewood. You need to get lives. Move on. Try other websites. You might like it.

And AugustWest, your militant gammarianism will no longer be tolerated.


Dig around the boards a little.  I'm confident you'll find that I am far, far from the only militant grammarian hereabouts.  

Anyway, it's effective.  You spelled "y'all" correctly, didn't you?
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: andalucia on April 06, 2004, 01:43:06 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Dig around the boards a little.  I'm confident you'll find that I am far, far from the only militant grammarian hereabouts.


Represent that.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: Choop on April 06, 2004, 04:28:58 am
Grammar Agent reporting for duty.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: sailor on April 06, 2004, 08:21:41 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "sailor"
OK, people. Y'all are passionately discussing candy bars in absence of Achewood. You need to get lives. Move on. Try other websites. You might like it.

And AugustWest, your militant gammarianism will no longer be tolerated.


Dig around the boards a little.  I'm confident you'll find that I am far, far from the only militant grammarian hereabouts.  

Anyway, it's effective.  You spelled "y'all" correctly, didn't you?


Dogg, i been spellin' "y'all" correctly since yo' momma been payin' me.

HOOKED ON PHONICS WORKED...FOR Y'R MOM!!!
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: Nabubrush on April 06, 2004, 01:54:44 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "sailor"
OK, people. Y'all are passionately discussing candy bars in absence of Achewood. You need to get lives. Move on. Try other websites. You might like it.

And AugustWest, your militant gammarianism will no longer be tolerated.


Dig around the boards a little.  I'm confident you'll find that I am far, far from the only militant grammarian hereabouts.  

Anyway, it's effective.  You spelled "y'all" correctly, didn't you?

Yes, there are a lot of pedants here (and on other boards). In keeping with the over-arching theme, though not specifically grammarian in nature - you do realize, August, that the last name listed in your rank is misspelled, don't you? It's Trebek.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: pubdoggy on April 06, 2004, 02:23:57 pm
I'm astonished that our Yankee cousins are debating the nut content / factory location of our Mars Bar when there is a much more worthy topic. IN SCOTLAND THEY BATTER THE MARS BAR AND DEEP FRY IT AND THEN EAT IT. What is that all about?

Yowser.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AugustWest on April 06, 2004, 02:53:08 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
- you do realize, August, that the last name listed in your rank is misspelled, don't you? It's Trebek.


Tell it to the person who wrote it...
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 06, 2004, 05:06:08 pm
Happy Tartan Day, everyone!  Och aye!  Clan Campbell kicks ass!

http://www.tartanday.org/
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: CortJstr on April 06, 2004, 06:12:50 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"
I'm astonished that our Yankee cousins are debating the nut content / factory location of our Mars Bar when there is a much more worthy topic. IN SCOTLAND THEY BATTER THE MARS BAR AND DEEP FRY IT AND THEN EAT IT. What is that all about?

Yowser.


Apparently they do it in Minesota, too. http://www.lileks.com/picts/fair2003/6.html

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Happy Tartan Day, everyone! Och aye! Clan Campbell kicks ass!

http://www.tartanday.org/

Too . . . much . . . flash! ::dies::
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 06, 2004, 07:25:23 pm
I like how a guy with 39 posts tells a guy with 1100+ that his militant grammarianism will no longer be tolerated.

I like how there is so little to discuss about the the content of Onstad's site that day that it degenerates to nuts, candy bars and the spelling of a Canadian Game Show Hosts surname.

I like August and Choop and Nabu even though they fight like siblings.

I am not thrilled with the vacation pictures, though, and am really looking forward to the return of the cartoon animals doing human like things, like drinking and driving cars and wearing thongs.
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: sailor on April 06, 2004, 10:17:30 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I like how a guy with 39 posts tells a guy with 1100+ that his militant grammarianism will no longer be tolerated.

.


Aw, shit, Dawg, you be steppin'? Yo, i'm hell of from the old skool board, you best watch yo mouhf. Legit!
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: V-Adore on April 06, 2004, 10:24:34 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I like how a guy with 39 posts tells a guy with 1100+ that his militant grammarianism will no longer be tolerated.

.


Aw, shit, Dawg, you be steppin'? Yo, i'm hell of from the old skool board, you best watch yo mouhf. Legit!

*ahem*
"Oh, shit, Dog, are you stepping? You, I am very much from the old-school board. You had better watch your mouth."
Title: Hiatus, Day 1 (Edinburgh) -- 5 April
Post by: sailor on April 07, 2004, 12:13:40 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I like how a guy with 39 posts tells a guy with 1100+ that his militant grammarianism will no longer be tolerated.

.


Aw, shit, Dawg, you be steppin'? Yo, i'm hell of from the old skool board, you best watch yo mouhf. Legit!

*ahem*
"Oh, shit, Dog, are you stepping? You, I am very much from the old-school board. You had better watch your mouth."


you forgot : Legitimate!