The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on April 06, 2004, 02:10:54 pm
-
I just purchased "The Essential Radio Birdman" and the recent Buzzcocks album. Oh my, yes! It's just a good time. It's nice, with all the Jet, Vines, and others, to see where it came from.
-
Thank you again for letting us know what you've bought.
The next time you have to take a dump, be sure to let us know, both before and after, so you can tell us if the experience was all that you hoped it would be.
-
But wouldn't that thread belong in The Study?
Last six acquisitions:
Hank Williams: 40 Greatest Hits
Al Green: Let's Stay Together
World Music Library: Music of Mangkunegaran Solo 1
Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life
Richard & Linda Thompson: Shoot Out the Lights
Fairport Convention: What We Did On Our Holidays
-
Ha, in order to make it a bit more topical for all, I'm going to tell all of you that I recently bought "In The Air," by the Handsome Family, and "Blacklisted," by Neko Case (the latter mainly on the recommendations of this board). Both albums are so good they just might cause WORLD PEACE.
Now you go!
-
I'm getting ready to go take a dump shortly. I'll take my PDA with me on which I will read from The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu. Updates later.
-
Jough you grouchy bastard.
Is that the Buzzcocks album where they cover their own songs? No, wait, that's somebody else. The Mekons, maybe.
-
Update -- Even better than I'd hoped!
-
I also got SM and the Jicks - partially recorded in PDX! I just have a lot of time for Stephen Malkmus.
Also, my bowel movement today was nothing to write home about. But it was something to write to you people about so . . .
Nahh.
-
Last week I was at a CD release for Kelly Bell Band - Live at the Recher Theatre . . . Finally! The song Same Old Thang should be on there but otherwise a dandy album that's fun for the whole family.
-
Wouldn't threads about dump-taking belong in The Lounge, assuming they obeyed Choop's caveat?
Anyway, I should probably acquire soon. "Blacklisted" and "In Time" are looking particularly nice.
-
"Blacklisted" and "In Time" are looking particularly nice.
Dooooooo...it. Dooooooo...it.
Seriously, I couldn't recommend those two any higher.
-
Ha, in order to make it a bit more topical for all, I'm going to tell all of you that I recently bought "In The Air," by the Handsome Family, and "Blacklisted," by Neko Case (the latter mainly on the recommendations of this board). Both albums are so good they just might cause WORLD PEACE.
Word! I just learned of the Handsome Family's existence and I love them with all my little-girl heart.
-
The Handsome Family is/are very peculiar.
-
I just got the new Modest penis album, and enjoy it much. The new video is pretty crazy too. I recommend both to all.
-
I bought a half gallon of milk and some new "Red Berry Special K" today.
-
I bought a half gallon of milk and some new "Red Berry Special K" today.
wrong forum
-
I bought a half gallon of milk and some new "Red Berry Special K" today.
wrong forum
No it isn't:
The Conservatory and Milk Purchases
Discuss your favorite musical composers and milk/cereal purchases here.
-
Jough, is this still the proper forum for bowel movement reports?
-
Anyone else find the juxtaposition of August's last post and his current sig line amusing?
....and,not that he changed it, not so much?....
-
Man, I bought some 2% last night because we're going to start giving Dree milk instead of formula. Laura told me I needed to get whole milk for her instead.
Shit. I gotta get new vitamins too.
-
No it isn't
Wow. I feel like I'm watching Lawnmower Man or something.
ON THIS BOARD...HE IS A GOD!
-
I bought some half and half yesterday for the CuteGirl's coffee. Also, Modest penis is playing here this month. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to go see them.
-
Perhaps I should purchase some milk. I don't have a fridge, though, so by necessity I'd have to drink it immediately.
-
The Conservatory and Milk Purchases
Discuss your favorite musical composers and milk/cereal purchases here.
See, now this just totally throws off the "Jump to" box at the bottom of the screen.
-
Unfortunately as it is Passover I have not purchased any cereal lately. Lactaid was, however, acquired in anticipation of a visit from family along with the usual 1%. There is a very good record store near the grocery so further updates may be forthcoming as the situation warrants.
-
Damn. Thanks to the joys of intarweb piracy, I have not purchased an actual album in a long time. However, after getting pegged by the RIAA, I've mended my sinful ways and I'm glad that you guys posted some album information in this thread! I'll have to check out some of the records that've been mentioned.
In dairy-related news, I bought some skim milk the other week. I went to get some this morning and it had gone off. >:( Back to the shops!
-
after getting pegged by the RIAA
The RIAA fucked your ass with a strap-on dick? Damn, I knew that they were getting more aggressive with dealing with interweb piracy, but DAMN.
In dairy-related news, I bought some skim milk the other week. I went to get some this morning and it had gone off. >:( Back to the shops!
Tsk tsk tsk. How could you let this happen? You really need to keep your milk rations under constant control.
-
I know! My fridge is teh suck, and it's a fine line between milk-that-sours-within-the-week and milk-that-is-in-frozen-brick-format. Bah.
Hmm... Horizon makes these little Tetra-packs of milk, that crazy vacuum packaging that they use for soymilk. I bet that stuff would keep till Armaggeddeon. I should try some of that.
-
Bought buttermilk yesterday. Might finally break down and buy "Degredation Trip" today, but somewhat afraid to leave the house.
-
Tsk tsk tsk. How could you let this happen? You really need to keep your milk rations under constant control.
If only someone would develop a spreadsheet that would tell you when you need to buy milk. Or eggs.
-
I've only ever bought milk twice and eggs never. Does this make me a bad person?
-
This reminds me, I need to go to the store.
As it's Good Friday, I need to get some stuff to make a vegetarian stew this evening.
I wish I'd remembered this earlier when I was running errands. Whoops.
-
The local dairy farm store was out of non-fat (i.e. what they're calling "skim milk") today, so I had to pick up 1%, which is surprisingly creamy after I've gotten used to drinking the 0% stuff.
-
This reminds me, I need to go to the store.
As it's Good Friday, I need to get some stuff to make a vegetarian stew this evening.
I wish I'd remembered this earlier when I was running errands. Whoops.
Don't forget no big supper either. Only two "moderate" meals allowed on Ash Wednesday/Good Friday. Unless you're pregnant, sick, old, or adolescent.
-
...or not Christian.
-
...or not Christian.
Actually I'm pretty sure this whole deal is only for Catholics.
-
Don't forget no big supper either. Only two "moderate" meals allowed on Ash Wednesday/Good Friday. Unless you're pregnant, sick, old, or adolescent.
Right. Hence the soup. Although we're Lutheran and not bound to the traditional Catholic rules, Pedro was raised Roman Catholic and we do observe many Catholic traditions out of mutual respect for the faith. Plus, there are a lot of neat things about some of the Catholic rites and rituals that don't require you to actually be Catholic to derive benefit from them. I mean, I don't believe I'll go to hell if I eat a bacon cheeseburger tonight, but I think it's worth the effort to avoid gluttonous meatfests a few days a year if it helps me reflect on what this particular holiday means for people of my religious persuasion.
But, lest this post drift too far off topic, I'd best check the expiration on my 2%. I can't drink anything with less milkfat than that; it's like mixing powdered non-dairy creamer with water and drinking that (which I've done out of sheer desparation only once). Skim horrifies me. Before I started watching my weight, I drank whole milk. My soy-milk-drinking roommate was horrified. But I figure, if you're gonna drink milk, why go halfway?
-
Eh. I'm too lazy for that. I just sniff and take the consequences. Although I do check the expiry before I sniff. If it's more than a week past, I don't bother sniffing. I just dump it out and recycle the container.
Forget asking Pedro to sniff anything. The man's practically a bloodhound, he could smell "off" milk without removing the lid. Nine times out of ten, by the time something's bad in the fridge, he's already noticed it. Of course, he doesn't actually remove it. He just leaves it there until I get around to taking care of it.
What is it with men?
-
Cleaning the fridge is woman's work.
-
it's like mixing powdered non-dairy creamer with water and drinking that (which I've done out of sheer desparation only once).
Now that's just wrong. What dire combination of circumstances brought you to such a sad state? I mean -- drink water, have a co-cola or a shot of tequila. Anything. Sheeesh.
-
I honestly don't remember the circumstances -- only that I was about nine years old, and I wanted a glass of milk, dammit.
-
I suppose you can be forgiven, considering your youth and inexperience. But don't let it happen again, missy!
-
Ahem.
To restore topicality, I bought Twilight, by the Handsome Family, last night, as well as a used copy of Swansong For You, by the Gentle Waves, a band that consisted entirely of Isobel Campbell (formerly of Belle et Sebastian), who now is recording under her own name so INDIE POP MAKES MY BRAIN HURT. But anyway, the Gentle Waves album is really nice and makes me feel warm and happy inside (until I am filled with shame for being such a girly man), and I haven't had a chance to really absorb the Handsome Family album. However, I rediscovered my copy of Fear and Whiskey, by the Mekons, which kind of got lost on the way home from New York. And it is AWESOME. Because I haven't spent much of my tip money this week, it being hard to find things to buy when you're sleeping off some sort of Chinese Death Flu, I might buy a Link Wray album tonight.
EDIT: Okay, I realized that I am very dumb and randomly talking about milk was IN FACT still on topic. Damn you, Lawnmower Jough.
-
My reduced-fat (what's that? all I know is "skim" and "two-percent") has yesterday's date on it. Would it kill me to pour it on some cereal tomorrow?
-
Yes. You are in dire peril. Evacuate your home immeadiately!
Leave your doors unlocked. And all your valuables.
-
My reduced-fat (what's that? all I know is "skim" and "two-percent") has yesterday's date on it. Would it kill me to pour it on some cereal tomorrow?
I am not really awake yet but I believe milk has a sell-by date, not an expiration date, and it's good for a week or something after.
But yeah, who ought to be killed is whoever decided to change the labelling on milk so we don't know what anything is anymore.
-
I got that Rocket from the Tombs deal, "Rocket Redux" - and a pint of half and half. Also, a quart of skim. The album is pretty good, but I'm withholding a decision on the dairy for right now.
-
Lots of soymilk and stealing the new Wilco from online.
-
2% and The James Brown Show Live at the Apollo 1962.
~Paul
-
More whole milk for Audrey and The Joshua Tree from iTunes.
-
chocolate soy milk (So Nice Brand) and Sarah Harmer "All our names."
How do you know how to tell if soy milk's gone bad? I can never tell til I taste it and then it's ewww!
-
Is there a soymilk out there that doesn't have a skanky after-taste? Because as long as you never stop drinking it vanilla Silk with Hershey's isn't a bad beverage. But once you pause to inhale or refill or something then there is much badness in the mouth region.
[Edit: Will we feel Jough's wrath for sullying his milk forum with talk of soy products?]
-
I'm a big fan of So Good Omega. It tastes good and gets extra points for incorporating my beloved Greek alphabet.
-
Today I bought a half gallon of 2% and a mini-keg of Wersteiner. It's a sad day when the total volume of alcoholic beverages in your shopping cart is more than double the amount of actual food.
-
It is?
Boo to that. It's a sad day when you become an apologist for consuming high-quality adult beverages in a responsible way.
-
Boo to that. It's a sad day when you become an apologist for consuming high-quality adult beverages in a responsible way.
Oh yeah. That's what I meant.
-
I think "responsible way" is the key, though. JL didn't sound like she planned on consuming them responsibly - more like drinking while driving a tractor trailer full of high explosives while waving around a pair of scissors and putting on a blindfold so that she could play chicken with the nitro glycerine factory.
-
With NO condom.
-
Heh. No, actually my plans for the evening included some keilbasa my parents smuggled in from the Motherland (Ohio), saurkraut, almond cookies and a 6-foot-4, 300 lb. Polish man.
And all went exactly as expected. :wink:
-
Unsafe kielbasa smuggling! You're my role model, you know?
-
I sure hope Pedro was around for that!
I almost made a joke wherein I confused Pedro with Carlos. I'm rather glad I refrained, and I'm disappointed I made a public note of it.
Three cheers for the giant Pole!
-
Is there a soymilk out there that doesn't have a skanky after-taste? Because as long as you never stop drinking it vanilla Silk with Hershey's isn't a bad beverage. But once you pause to inhale or refill or something then there is much badness in the mouth region.
In my experience there is always a bit of an after taste, and Silk is definitly the worst for that. This is why it's even harder to tell if it's gone bad or not.
-
JL Dunston, a bunch of beer and a giant pole. Or a Pole with a smuggled kielbasa. Or both, even.
I am SO DOWN with this concept.
Is there a soymilk out there that doesn't have a skanky after-taste? Because as long as you never stop drinking it vanilla Silk with Hershey's isn't a bad beverage. But once you pause to inhale or refill or something then there is much badness in the mouth region.
In my experience there is always a bit of an after taste, and Silk is definitly the worst for that. This is why it's even harder to tell if it's gone bad or not.
It's easy to tell when it's bad. It was made bad. Cows have huge, fast-refilling udders for a good reason. Milk.
I don't get calling it Soy'milk'. This is as bad as soy/seitan/tempeh being called a meat 'substitute'. It's an alternative at best (sometimes a bad one) but the fact that vegetarians call these by the substances they abhor tells me there is a deepseated, unacknowledged longing for the real thing. It's like man-hating, militant lesbians using c*ck-shaped dildos....
As you were.
-
JL Dunston, a bunch of beer and a giant pole.
...
It's like man-hating, militant lesbians using c*ck-shaped dildos....
I'm not touching this with a 6'4" pole...
Ba-dum ching.
-
I don't get calling it Soy'milk'. This is as bad as soy/seitan/tempeh being called a meat 'substitute'. It's an alternative at best (sometimes a bad one) but the fact that vegetarians call these by the substances they abhor tells me there is a deepseated, unacknowledged longing for the real thing. It's like man-hating, militant lesbians using c*ck-shaped dildos....
I have a mild lactose intolerance and don't actually like the taste of milk. Soy milk I like (except the aftertaste), it seems to last longer, and it has a quatrillion percent* more calcium than my other beverages of choice.
*A quatrillion is a number so vastly mind-boggingly huge that even when you multiply it by 0 you still get a positive result.
-
Obviously, you're all completely missing the fact that rice milk is FAR superior to soy milk, while maintaining its status as FAR inferior to cow milk.
Saying "soy milk tastes like regular milk" is like saying "tofutti tastes like ice cream."
-
I like human milk right from the pump.
It's the best part of fuck*ng chicks who just had a baby.
-
Who's crude? Who's rude?
Who is that nasty dude?
You know!
He's Jough!
Don't get pissed now-
Our boss-man is allowed!
Back off!
It's Jough!
He posts that shit
Cuz noone else would say it!
So true!
So Jough!
He rules this place
With an iron fist in your face!
He's gruff!
That Jough!
That's all!
He's Jough!
-
Were it actually on an album, I'd buy the Jough Blaxploitation Theme in a second.
-
I got the new Argument CD, Recess Serenade, from CDBaby yesterday. There's a couple weak tracks but it was overall a good purchase. But Your New Favorite Band was better.
-
I'm beginning to contemplate killing whoever started the fuck*ng milk shit here!
I go away for a couple of days and what happens in my fuck*ng yard!!!
-
I'm beginning to contemplate killing whoever started the fuck*ng milk shit here!
I go away for a couple of days and what happens in my fuck*ng yard!!!
I think this is where you split off a thread called "EVERYTHING ABOUT MILK POSTED IN THE CONSERVATORY, PLZ MOVE TO KITCHEN KTHX, SLINK MADE FOR CRUSHING" and be done with it.
-
I think this is where you split off a thread called "EVERYTHING ABOUT MILK POSTED IN THE CONSERVATORY, PLZ MOVE TO KITCHEN KTHX, SLINK MADE FOR CRUSHING" and be done with it.
I might do tomorrow when I can recognise simple colours and shapes.
Damn driving at night for ages.
-
Choop's rhyme needs to be posted somewhere permanently prominent, like a FAQ about the board or in Jough's profile.
-
I may post it in the Rules and Regulations that one has to agree to upon signing up for the board.
-
I recently bought the new David Byrne (Growing Backwards), Marine Research's "Sounds From the Gulf Stream," the Carter Family's "Can the Circle Be Unbroken?" and the Handsome Family's "Twilight." The David Byrne is amazing.
Also, I couldn't find my copy of "Blacklisted," by Neko Case, for a few days, and got really, really worried. I then realized how much I love that CD. Thanks again, board.
-
Normally I don't remember my dreams.
I just read your post and had an odd thought.
I dreamed I met David Byrne last night.
I don't know whether I did or I didn't. Does it matter?
-
I don't know whether I did or I didn't. Does it matter?
Well, I'm sure BYRNE doesn't think it matters. :)
Actually, the liner notes of the album contain little write-ups of dreams he has had.