The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: wombat on April 05, 2004, 11:42:13 pm

Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: wombat on April 05, 2004, 11:42:13 pm
They started a piece on NPR tonight, "Spring has come to the nation's capital" and I yelled at the radio "NO IT HAS NOT."  Right now the wind chill is 41 and the overnight low is forecast to be 29.  I don't care if the freaking cherry blossoms are in bloom, this does NOT count as Spring.  Especially when going to work an hour earlier in the dark cold.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: CortJstr on April 06, 2004, 12:25:09 am
Quote from: "wombat"
They started a piece on NPR tonight, "Spring has come to the nation's capital" and I yelled at the radio "NO IT HAS NOT."  Right now the wind chill is 41 and the overnight low is forecast to be 29.  I don't care if the freaking cherry blossoms are in bloom, this does NOT count as Spring.  Especially when going to work an hour earlier in the dark cold.

I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2004, 02:18:28 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.


Cherry Blossoms are beautiful, they are to be cherished.

~Paul
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: CortJstr on April 06, 2004, 03:29:50 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.


Cherry Blossoms are beautiful, they are to be cherished.

Clearly you have not been jaded by the local news doing a countdown to the blossoms' peak starting just after Christmas.

If a freak blizzard slammed us during the Cherry Blossom Peak (cue heavenly chorus) I think the channel 9 weather-guy would actually explode on camera from the sheer joy of reporting his two favorite events at the same time. Moreso if he worked the UV-index in there somewhere.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: jough on April 06, 2004, 04:39:43 am
There were lots of dogwood trees on my college campus, and when they were first blooming the pollen smelled like human semen (I have no basis of comparison for other animals).

Of course, we just called them the "cum trees."

You're welcome.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2004, 10:34:39 am
Oh my god Jough do you have to ruin everything. Now I won't be able to go in my backyard for... I'm not even sure how long the dogwoods are in bloom.  It could be weeks.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: Nabubrush on April 06, 2004, 01:50:44 pm
I've got a dogwood in the back yard of my new house. Do you think the neighbors will think it strange that I'll be out there today, deeply inhaling from the foliage? What about the little lady - will she think it's odd?

She'll no doubt be out there with me.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: jay-ell on April 06, 2004, 05:01:26 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.


Cherry Blossoms are beautiful, they are to be cherished.

Clearly you have not been jaded by the local news doing a countdown to the blossoms' peak starting just after Christmas.


I get the vague sense that Paul was being dirty.  

Or maybe it's just me?  

'Round these parts, we have bradford pear trees.  They're gorgeous and smelly (in a good way).  But seeing as how they blossom every freaking year, our newscasters don't feel the need to report on it.  

Then again, I haven't watched local news in about five years, so maybe they've started up in the interim.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: AugustWest on April 06, 2004, 05:31:06 pm
:sigh:  Fine.  You asked for a damn plant report, now you'll get it.  Here comes Mr. Stodgy-Homeowner-Plantguy.  Hope you're happy.

We have cherry trees, Bradford Pears, Dogwoods, Tulip Trees, Spirea and Forsythia (among others) in our area.  They have been spectacular this year, probably because late spring was very wet and we had no hard freezes from late February on.

The forsythia are especially good this year.  Sometimes they're kind of bare, but this year they've been densely packed with vibrant yellow blossoms.  The new grass has been a shocking day-glo green.  Pink and white cherry blossoms.  Snow-white pears and dogwoods.  The Tulip Trees are covered with great big 'ol pink flowers.  Plus there are daffodils, tulips and hyacinth coming up everywhere.

Despite everything the world can be a beautiful place (at least visually.)
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2004, 05:51:31 pm
Don't they have magnolias too where you guys live, JL and AW?

We have them here but it is a little too far north for them, and they are very foolishly optimistic Southerners, and often start to get buds too early, so that a late cold snap means that we have sad brown wrinkled petals instead of glorious pink magnolias.  This year what we have is half-brown magnolias, hanging around as a constant reminder of the risks of hopefulness.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: AugustWest on April 06, 2004, 05:59:49 pm
Absolutely (I have one in the front yard) but it's too early for them to bloom yet.  Next month, especially if I get some MirAcid on it, I expect some blooms.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: V-Adore on April 06, 2004, 07:02:34 pm
The house my parents have just put down an offer on has dogwoods, and I believe it may have magnolias also. There's also a white wisteria, a topic which seemed to particularly fascinate our realtor, although we're not sure entirely why.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2004, 07:18:37 pm
Maybe because wisteria are usually purple?  I think.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 06, 2004, 07:43:18 pm
I've been mowing my yard once a week nonstop since I got here. The Hibiscus have not stopped blooming nor have the Bouganvilleas. I have had to cut 2 feet off my hibiscus hedgerow since the new house 9 months ago. I've been stacking 8 foot palm fronds for the yard waste guys weekly. Thank god I don't have any coconut trees.

I would LOVE a long period of cold dark. This place is horticulturally relentless, man.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2004, 08:05:43 pm
AlohaDawg, I am trying real hard not to hate you right now.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the ocean.
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: Choop on April 06, 2004, 09:11:56 pm
What the shit is with all this plant talk? Ain't there a "Garden" area for all you sissies to go nurse your saplings or whatever the fuck?

/lyle
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2004, 09:54:46 pm
Kitchen and Garden would make a lot of sense as a forum, wouldn't it?
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: V-Adore on April 06, 2004, 10:18:21 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Maybe because wisteria are usually purple?  I think.

I think this is it, but I know so little about wisteria that I spent the raves about it nodding politely. "Yep. It certainly is white. Quite white. I can see the whiteness from here. Usually purple? Oh. I see."
Title: Flowers and Trees and stuff
Post by: Bozack on April 07, 2004, 07:53:57 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Here comes Mr. Stodgy-Homeowner-Plantguy.

Dude, if you ever come in to Lynns, and I'm working, and you say hey, and you're NOT wearing an old man sweater and speaking like Garrison Keilor, I'm going to be so depressed.