The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: wombat on April 06, 2004, 11:42:25 pm

Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2004, 11:42:25 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "wombat"
AlohaDawg, I am trying real hard not to hate you right now.

How's that working out for you, Wombat?


It was warm enough to walk the dog on my afternoon neighborhood-famous-author-stalking walk, and perhaps tomorrow I will make AlohaDawg's wonderful potato-pillowed-giraffe recipe to remind myself of what a fine person he is, and all will be forgiven.

Unless it snows again.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 06, 2004, 11:45:14 pm
Invite that author over! Give them the magic giraffe!
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2004, 12:06:44 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Invite that author over! Give them the magic giraffe!


Actually my obsession with the author himself has been largely replaced by an obsession with his dog - but I'll bet she'd like the giraffe just as much.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2004, 12:10:01 am
What famous author is it?  Would we have heard of her?  Is it Barbara Cartland?  Kitty Kelley?  Carolyn Keene?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2004, 12:31:20 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
What famous author is it?  Would we have heard of her?  Is it Barbara Cartland?  Kitty Kelley?  Carolyn Keene?


The author is a he, the dog is a she.  

I can't answer this question in case he Googles himself and finds my post and my cover is blown.  

But isn't Carolyn Keene nonexistent or dead or both?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2004, 12:42:20 am
Quote from: "wombat"

But isn't Carolyn Keene nonexistent or dead or both?


Nah, you're thinking of Eudora Welty.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2004, 04:51:04 pm
Will you tell us if we guess?

Is it Larry Niven?  I bet it's Larry Niven.  You seem like the kind of happening chick who'd get off on Larry Niven.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: jough on April 07, 2004, 05:17:19 pm
It's got to be Al Franken.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Bozack on April 07, 2004, 07:47:47 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
You seem like the kind of happening chick who'd get off on Larry Niven.


This is officially my new pick-up line.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Nabubrush on April 07, 2004, 07:55:07 pm
My new pick-up line is "Alex Trebek tossed my salad". What are my chances, do you think?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2004, 08:05:13 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
You seem like the kind of happening chick who'd get off on Larry Niven.


This is officially my new pick-up line.


I'm pleased I could be of service.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2004, 08:43:37 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Will you tell us if we guess?



I'll tell you by PM if you guess, unless someone can convince me that you can't find posts on this board via Google.

I would suggest that you all start by narrowing it down to authors who live near where I live, but I suppose that would spoil the fun.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2004, 08:54:50 pm
Edgar Allen Poe's from Baltimore.  Is it him?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Bozack on April 08, 2004, 01:01:31 am
Thomas Pynchon.

Oh, sure, he might not be exactly the guy you're thinking of. But he could, hypothetically, live near you! NO-ONE KNOWS!

WOOOOOOOOOOO..WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Choop on April 08, 2004, 03:28:26 am
Dear Whatever in Some Higher Plane, please say it is not one Thomas Clancy. Such utter disappointment would I feel were it so.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2004, 09:18:39 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Dear Whatever in Some Higher Plane, please say it is not one Thomas Clancy.


Goodness no. Does he live in DC? No, cooler and not that obscenely famous.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2004, 10:48:25 am
Speaking of being stalked, I felt a bit of a shock when I noticed a banner ad up there advertising "Australian Wombat Gifts."  I hope I'm not the only one seeing it...
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: CortJstr on April 09, 2004, 01:06:58 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Speaking of being stalked, I felt a bit of a shock when I noticed a banner ad up there advertising "Australian Wombat Gifts."  I hope I'm not the only one seeing it...

I was litteraly just going to post about that ad when I came to this thread. Weird. Eerie.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: jough on April 09, 2004, 02:47:14 pm
wombat:  Google doesn't really spider the forums, but if you want to be save, you may put a space between each character of your stalkee's name, so if you were stalking, say, Donald Trump, you could write:

D O N A L D

T R U M P

and not be worried about it ever showing up in Google.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2004, 02:58:54 pm
Hint - fricking - hint.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: jough on April 09, 2004, 03:29:37 pm
I grow tired of the game.

If Wombat doesn't post who her stalkee is by the end of the day (or at least PM me about it) I'm going to delete her account and every post she ever wrote, plus all references to her or her name in other people's posts.

It'll be like she never existed.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2004, 03:55:27 pm
Hell, why don't you also burn her house down, and delete anyone who has a W in their log in.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: CortJstr on April 09, 2004, 04:38:00 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I grow tired of the game.

If Wombat doesn't post who her stalkee is by the end of the day (or at least PM me about it) I'm going to delete her account and every post she ever wrote, plus all references to her or her name in other people's posts.

It'll be like she never existed.

The Thought Police have nothing on Jough.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2004, 05:36:22 pm
Don't put this past him, I've already seen him do it once.  

What, none of you remember ******?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: V-Adore on April 09, 2004, 05:53:00 pm
I'm glad I don't remember anyone who posted as *******.

Anyway, I just got the "Australian Wombat Gifts" ad. It alluded to "Wally the Naughty Wombat," which seemed strangely appropriate.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2004, 06:00:46 pm
Well, no one has even tried very hard with the geographical hint, but I fear the wrath of Jough.

Hints: Lives in the DC area.  Writes crime fiction set there.  Has a new book out right now and has been touring and being interviewed.  Talks about music I haven't heard of all the time in his books - you cool folks who post in the Conservatory might like him.

I'm very busy today showing relatives around town - could we agree to work on that much for awhile before you delete me?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2004, 06:05:23 pm
G e o r g e     P e l e c a n o s?

Sorry, edited to protect   W o m b a t.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2004, 06:08:54 pm
Dang, see I knew that much information would make it too easy.

Here's a link to my favorite interview with him, where he is careful to insist, as I always am, that he lives in Silver Spring, but it is "just steps" from the DC line.  We don't want you to mistake us for suburbanites.

http://www.identitytheory.com/interviews/birnbaum100.html
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2004, 06:12:46 pm
PS to Jough: Wouldn't want you to miss the pleasure of knowing that I was about to PM you.  Really, you ought to pick on someone your own size, I am much too easy a target.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2004, 06:17:06 pm
For the record, there was never any *******.  I made it up on the spot (50 geek points to anyone who can name the reference).  

Jehosephat, you guys have way too much faith in me.  Or too little in Jough.  I'd prefer not to speculate which is more likely...
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Choop on April 09, 2004, 06:33:56 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
(50 geek points to anyone who can name the reference).  


s k o t t

?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: CortJstr on April 09, 2004, 08:11:08 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "jldunston"
(50 geek points to anyone who can name the reference).  


s k o t t

?

That or Ponce. Although I didn't actually count the stars.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2004, 08:20:38 pm
Actually, Jough went back and deleted all reference to ********.  Because he's, you know, perverse.  

So now nobody will win.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Choop on April 10, 2004, 05:16:40 am
Why does the number of asterisks there keep changing?
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: andalucia on April 10, 2004, 04:16:53 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Why does the number of asterisks there keep changing?


Quote from: "jldunston"
Because he's, you know, perverse.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: Nabubrush on April 11, 2004, 06:14:03 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Actually, Jough went back and deleted all reference to ********.  Because he's, you know, perverse.  

So now nobody will win.

Well, what the hell do I win for guessing the author? Wombat?

(That was intended to imply that the question was directed at Wombat, not that I feel Wombat should be the prize.)
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2004, 07:49:54 pm
Um, my everlasting admiration for your extreme coolness?

I don't think I can offer you his autograph if I ever meet him, because I would be too shy to ask.
Title: Wombat's Stalkee
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 02:05:16 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Actually, Jough went back and deleted all reference to ********.  Because he's, you know, perverse.  

So now nobody will win.


It's either R-o-b-o-t or p-a-n-t-s