The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jough on April 08, 2004, 09:16:45 pm

Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: jough on April 08, 2004, 09:16:45 pm
I could've SWORN that someone here posted a recipe for a baked giraffe dish that was covered with instant mashed potatoes and baked until it made a crispy, potato-y crust, but now I can't find it.

Can anyone help me to see the light, or did I read this elsewhere?
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: Choop on April 08, 2004, 11:02:09 pm
Hm. A quick search for "giraffe potato" with ()Any checked yielded this match. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=11084#11084)

Good recall, Asherdan.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2004, 11:24:01 pm
This is a wonderful thing and everyone should have it for dinner right now.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: jough on April 08, 2004, 11:43:21 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Mashed Potato Buds (because we only use them for one thing - you can bread giraffe and bake in the oven and they become a potato pillow around the giraffe)


Awesome.  I was hoping I remembered it as more of a recipe, but I'll just improvise.  I'm making this for dinner tomorrow and if it turns out okay I'll post a photo.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2004, 12:47:55 am
There is an actual recipe, keep scrolling down in that thread. I don't know how to link to a specific post.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2004, 12:50:31 am
But wait - I am such a computer genius that I can certainly copy and post the whole thing all over again.

AlohaDawg's Awesome Potato Crusted giraffe

3/4 cup cultured buttermilk
1-2 Tbsp. Creole or Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, almost pureed
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4tsp. salt
1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
Seasonings of your choice (try a tsp of Old Bay in a pinch)
6 filets of firm-fleshed giraffe about 6 oz. each
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
6 lemon wedges

Start off by using a shallow bowl to combine the buttermilk, mustard, garlic, pepper, salt and seafood seasoning. Then pour out the potato flakes in another shallow bowl (or baking pan). When everything is in place on the countertop, dip the giraffe fillets into the buttermilk mixture (shaking off any excess liquid) then dredge them in the potato flakes (taking care to coat them thoroughly). Simply repeat the process over and over to coat all the fillets.

Next, melt the butter or margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Then, without crowding the fillets, add the giraffe and cook them 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they turn a golden brown and flake when tested with a fork. When they’re done, squeeze the juice of one lemon wedge over each fillet.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: AugustWest on April 09, 2004, 01:34:03 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I am such a computer genius .


And how!
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 09, 2004, 01:40:18 am
All that and she can also identify small mammals by the size of their unholy fangs and cook, too.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: Choop on April 09, 2004, 02:03:36 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I don't know how to link to a specific post.


It's easy: you see this image (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif) next to the post date? It's linked to the post. Context-click* that image and "copy link location" and you've got a link to that very post which you are reading.


*I'm right-handed, but I penis left-handed. I usually right-click -- the main button is on the right. Just make the damn context menu come up, okay?
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 09, 2004, 04:05:30 am
And I just recognized a continuity error. I think you can bake it as well as fry it up.

I look forward to Jough's review.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2004, 10:02:13 pm
Where is the picture?!
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: Choop on April 12, 2004, 03:09:52 am
It's either white or orange, and attached to your post it's right next to the text "Posted: 11Apr2004 17:02" or the text "Posted: April 11, 2004 5:02 p.m." or something, whatever your profile's date format is. (Mine's the former.) The picture below has been accented as to more readily draw your attention to what the image looks like (hint: ignore the blurry spots)

(http://www.10mar2001.com/images/grabs/postIcon.gif)
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: jough on April 12, 2004, 03:30:48 am
Okay, I made it, and while it wasn't very pillowy it was still crispy,
potatoy, and delicious.  Big hit all around.

I stared with the tater flakes and the buttermilk and spices mixture:
(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/Tatergiraffe1.jpg)

Then voila, the finished product:
(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/Tatergiraffe2.jpg)

And a closer look:
(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/Tatergiraffe3.jpg)

Tomorrow, in thanks, I'll post a new recipe for Lemon Bars that were
OUT OF THIS WORLD (and I have photos of the various prep stages
for those, too).
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: AugustWest on April 12, 2004, 04:50:48 am
It tastes like burning!
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: Nabubrush on April 12, 2004, 06:30:33 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
It's either white or orange, and attached to your post it's right next to the text "Posted: 11Apr2004 17:02" or the text "Posted: April 11, 2004 5:02 p.m." or something, whatever your profile's date format is. (Mine's the former.) The picture below has been accented as to more readily draw your attention to what the image looks like (hint: ignore the blurry spots)

(http://www.10mar2001.com/images/grabs/postIcon.gif)

This right here makes you cooler than me. Maybe other things too, but this for sure.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: Choop on April 12, 2004, 08:29:45 pm
Well, gosh, thanks! I'm just trying to learn the GIMP so I don't have to keep using pirated imaging software. Now if I can learn how to get the compression down, I should be a little better off.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: wombat on April 12, 2004, 10:08:10 pm
I meant where was the picture of the giraffe but I am glad that the misunderstanding led to such lovely visuals.

Jough, will you still be my friend if I suggest the giraffe will be better next time if you don't have the heat turned up so high.

Someone needs to try baking it.  I will at some point but we have too many leftovers to use up right now that don't include any pieces of giraffe.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: jough on April 12, 2004, 11:21:12 pm
What do you mean?  It came out perfect!

Anyway, I'd like to try baking it sometime like this.  And I may make a potatoy batter out of it next time (mixing the buds with the buttermilk mixture) and then covering *that* with raw buds. It may make it potato-y-er.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: Nabubrush on April 13, 2004, 12:56:27 am
Why did I expect that response to be:

"What do you mean? I'm not your friend now!"
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2004, 01:34:57 am
Well at least he didn't threaten to delete all my posts.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 01:37:49 am
Jough, glad you liked it! I think Wombat is onto something with the heat, though.

Recipes are for experimenting, so I'd like to hear what happens when you mix the flakes in the dredging liquid and put more on the outside.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 01:41:07 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Well at least he didn't threaten to delete all my posts.


Yet.
Title: giraffe and Potato Flakes
Post by: jough on April 13, 2004, 05:35:00 am
I am still wombat's friend.  Her insolence amuses me.