The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on April 09, 2004, 04:11:10 am

Title: Avatar Death
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 09, 2004, 04:11:10 am
It's gone! So where do I get a new one? Any suggestions? Anyone want to pick one out for my brilliant, bright, sunshiny self?
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Choop on April 09, 2004, 05:40:13 am
Dawg, you just find a picture and make it the right size. If you can't make it the right size, send me the link and I'll give it to you in the right size.

Or, you could google for "avatars" (http://www.google.com/search?&q=avatars) - these are some it yielded me.
avatarity (http://www.avatarity.com/)
Cadfael's Avatars (http://www.e-cadfael.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%201.htm) (?)
AvatarPage (http://www.palace4all.de/avatarpage/)

There are some flash toys that let you build an avatar, though I've yet to see one which will let you save it. Here's one I built of myself:
(http://www.10mar2001.com/images/dookyweb.gif)
...and the tool for that one's no longer online, I just found.

But here's a different one I just found that happens to be IE only *glare*: Dae's MSN6 Avatar Maker (http://home.planet.nl/~ber02489/manor/avmaker/avmaker01.html). I wouldn't recommend it, as this was about the best I could come up with there:
(http://www.10mar2001.com/images/shittyAvatar.gif)

I'm rambling. Anyway.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2004, 02:41:39 pm
As I once did for Doomglobe, I have spent way too much time making you an excessively literal custom avatar.  You may use it, or not, as you wish.  I just had fun playing with photoshop.  The URL is and shall forever be:

http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/alohadawg.gif

And it looks like this:

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/alohadawg.gif)

I thought the bulldog captured your essence.  I had to cover up a spiked collar with the lei, which I found fitting somehow.  ;)
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2004, 03:00:04 pm
Damn me for not hinting around at the fact I don't have an avatar. That's cool, JL! (Actually, I don't know what you could cobble up for my nickname anyway, as it's pretty abstract.)
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: misterhaan on April 09, 2004, 03:18:51 pm
sounds inuit to me . . . i'd draw an eskimo for you but i'm pretty sure it would look like crap.  also it would have no color.

i have a few different avatars but they are all just for me.  currently i am using an actual photo of myself!
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: linnea on April 09, 2004, 03:23:57 pm
misterhaan, your avatar is great. I was using a photo of myself as my avatar, but I got sick of looking at my mug every time I posted.

Edit: I decided to go ahead and give one of my mugshots a try.

*huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs!*
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2004, 03:56:40 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
sounds inuit to me . . . i'd draw an eskimo for you but i'm pretty sure it would look like crap.  also it would have no color.

i have a few different avatars but they are all just for me.  currently i am using an actual photo of myself!

That's you? I don't recognize you at all in that picture.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: CortJstr on April 09, 2004, 04:42:54 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
sounds inuit to me . . . i'd draw an eskimo for you but i'm pretty sure it would look like crap.  also it would have no color.

i have a few different avatars but they are all just for me.  currently i am using an actual photo of myself!

I kind of miss Legohaan from dumbrella
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2004, 05:34:31 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Damn me for not hinting around at the fact I don't have an avatar. That's cool, JL! (Actually, I don't know what you could cobble up for my nickname anyway, as it's pretty abstract.)


Yeah, see, since I'm not a creative person, I can only do excessively-literal-interpretation-of-username avatars.  Except for mine, which is what I look like in my brain.  

Also, in my head, I sound like Eartha Kitt.  

Darling.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2004, 05:44:42 pm
Looking like that and sounding like Eartha Kitt - my sweetie is going to wonder where the hell I am when she gets off work tonight.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 09, 2004, 05:58:34 pm
How can one be on an Achewood board, and not have an Achewood-related avatar?   What the HELL people?
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2004, 06:01:06 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush"
Looking like that and sounding like Eartha Kitt - my sweetie is going to wonder where the hell I am when she gets off work tonight.


That's only in my head.  

In real life, I look like Steve Buscemi in drag (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=16076#16076) and sound like Susan Sarandon.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2004, 06:02:39 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Looking like that and sounding like Eartha Kitt - my sweetie is going to wonder where the hell I am when she gets off work tonight.


That's only in my head.  

In real life, I look like Steve Buscemi in drag (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=16076#16076) and sound like Susan Sarandon.

Well, what the hell, that's good enough for me.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Limmo on April 09, 2004, 06:11:25 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How can one be on an Achewood board, and not have an Achewood-related avatar?   What the HELL people?


Um, it seems to happen all the time, Carlos....
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: CortJstr on April 09, 2004, 07:51:51 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How can one be on an Achewood board, and not have an Achewood-related avatar?   What the HELL people?

I've been CortJstr since 1994 and this has been my Avatar since 1998 so I'm not likely to change either any time soon.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: andalucia on April 10, 2004, 12:06:08 am
I was listening to John Cale's 'Andalucia' when I registered and eating vegetarian stir fry when I chose my tofu avatar.  I'm not terribly bright.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Limmo on April 10, 2004, 12:07:42 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
my tofu avatar.


So that's what it is.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Bozack on April 10, 2004, 03:54:20 am
Yeah, if I remember correctly, my avatar was, I don't know, FOISTED upon me?
I'm fine with it, though. I guess I could have a drawing or image of a literal Bozack, but.......
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: Choop on April 10, 2004, 05:19:07 am
JL, that RAWKS. Hell, I'd even host it for him for a while.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: andalucia on April 10, 2004, 04:11:16 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
So that's what it is.


Yeah, its inscrutability has come up a few times.  It seemed so self-evident to me...
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: misterhaan on April 12, 2004, 04:27:19 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I kind of miss Legohaan from dumbrella


legohaan still lives (http://track7.wired-hub.com/av/digital.php), just not used as my avatar anymore . . . i like my current one because only i know what i'm doing in it (not even my fiancée, who took the picture, knows for sure)

*edited because i hand-typed the link but did it WRONG
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: V-Adore on April 12, 2004, 06:19:47 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I kind of miss Legohaan from dumbrella


legohaan still lives[/link], just not used as my avatar anymore . . . i like my current one because only i know what i'm doing in it (not even my fiancée, who took the picture, knows for sure) (http://track7.wired-hub.com/av/digital.php)

To me, it looks like you're about to be engaged in rail-grinding gaijin ninja hijinks, like a one-man tornado. Feel free to contradict me, though.

At some point I should probably change my avatar, but hey, I've become attached to the scary eye thinger.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: slink on April 12, 2004, 07:07:18 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

To me, it looks like you're about to be engaged in rail-grinding gaijin ninja hijinks, like a one-man tornado. Feel free to contradict me, though.


Far better summation than I came up with. But my brain doesn't function at the moment.

I keep considering changing mine. But I think if I did it would be back to my original Hunter one from Dumbrella. I don't know. Maybe it's time...
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on April 12, 2004, 09:21:52 pm
I generally go avatarless because it makes me more meee-styrrr-eee-usssss.

(That, and I am lazy.)
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 01:02:29 am
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
I generally go avatarless because it makes me more meee-styrrr-eee-usssss.

(That, and I am lazy.)


And your name is more visually evocative than most.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 02:13:07 am
Neat-o. Thanks JL and your Steve-Buscemi-in-cornrows-a-la-bigheaded-alien-rick-james is awesome.
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: slink on April 13, 2004, 02:29:39 am
It's going to take me quite some time to get used to the new avatar. Ah well. It is good though, don't get me wrong!
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: misterhaan on April 13, 2004, 08:20:40 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
To me, it looks like you're about to be engaged in rail-grinding gaijin ninja hijinks, like a one-man tornado. Feel free to contradict me, though.


since this sounds much cooler than what i was actually doing, it has now become my new answer to "what are you doing in that picture?"
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2004, 08:27:22 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
To me, it looks like you're about to be engaged in rail-grinding gaijin ninja hijinks, like a one-man tornado. Feel free to contradict me, though.


since this sounds much cooler than what i was actually doing, it has now become my new answer to "what are you doing in that picture?"

He is ten ninjas (http://www.dieselsweeties.com/shirts/ninjapics.shtml)! </wrong forum>
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: side_show on April 15, 2004, 12:09:01 pm
Quote from: "slink"
It's going to take me quite some time to get used to the new avatar. Ah well. It is good though, don't get me wrong!


I can't remember for the life of me what his old avatar looks like!?
Title: Avatar Death
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 09:04:06 pm
It was this monkey that jumped around.