The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jough on April 11, 2004, 02:05:05 am

Title: Happy Easter
Post by: jough on April 11, 2004, 02:05:05 am
Hope you all suck a few eggs.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Nabubrush on April 11, 2004, 06:08:40 pm
Go scare up some Eostre eggs.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: slink on April 11, 2004, 07:03:21 pm
I'm avoiding Easter.
Particularly since without any real intention it turned out even worse than christmas day. Well, not worse. Better in some ways, just... Incredibly fuck*ng complicated.

I'm waiting for Walpurgis Night.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2004, 07:50:44 pm
Go bite the head off a chocolate mammal.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: andalucia on April 11, 2004, 11:32:44 pm
Spent my Easter in bed sleeping off a hangover, having spent large segments of the previous evening passed out at the marina after too much cheap Québecois wine.  I did get up at noonish and eat a small bag of chocolate Easter eggs though; can't say I didn't make attempts at festivity.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: slink on April 12, 2004, 01:00:07 am
OK. I just spent the rest of Easter talking to the girl I'm now seeing.
So all in all, it turned out OK. The complications are fun though...

Deary me.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: V-Adore on April 12, 2004, 02:25:34 am
I spent most of Easter futzing around in Boston (yay Anime Boston) and am now tired.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: AugustWest on April 12, 2004, 04:48:51 am
I went to Church (twice a year!), then to dinner at my cousin's house.  Then we came home a worked in the yard.  Planted some veggies (two kinds of lettuce, turnip greens and spinach, plus 10 garlic bulbs), 10 day lilies and transplanted about a dozen lavendar bushes.

Tried to watch some Simpsons but kept getting interrupted.  I just bought Max Payne (right on the cutting edge, I am), so I played that for a while.  Now, here I am.  

Next, I'm going to take the trashcans to the end of the driveway.  How exciting!
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Mite on April 12, 2004, 09:35:08 am
Woke up, packed up, was fed my sweetie's spectacular buttermilk pancakes, played Mario Party with the aforementioned sweetie, then flew back home to have an existential crisis about returning from a wonderful spring break to the dismal prospect of finishing out the last 6 weeks of the school year. Coulda been worse. Now it's off to find mini eggs on sale. Mmmm...mini eggs.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2004, 11:48:40 am
I had Chinese Food.

~Paul
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: CortJstr on April 12, 2004, 01:21:29 pm
I once again had to explain to my grandmother that yes I had to work on Friday because it's not a real holiday and any company that actually closed would get sued so fast the building might actually spin around.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 12, 2004, 02:16:34 pm
Nothing says "Christ is risen" like a big ol' ham.  Thanks, Jesus!  Mmmmmmmmm... ham.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: jough on April 12, 2004, 02:41:14 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I once again had to explain to my grandmother that yes I had to work on Friday because it's not a real holiday and any company that actually closed would get sued so fast the building might actually spin around.


Businesses can close at any time for any reason.  Why would your company get sued for closing on Friday?
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: wombat on April 12, 2004, 04:37:17 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I had Chinese Food.

~Paul


Me too.  Chinese buffet with lots of Chinese dessert.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: CortJstr on April 12, 2004, 04:49:51 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I once again had to explain to my grandmother that yes I had to work on Friday because it's not a real holiday and any company that actually closed would get sued so fast the building might actually spin around.


Businesses can close at any time for any reason.  Why would your company get sued for closing on Friday?

Because people around here love to bitch. They'd probably just compain and threaten to sue because how dare they close for a religious holiday. We even have to have a "winter break" because a couple Jehovah's Witnesses complained a couple years ago.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2004, 07:43:27 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I once again had to explain to my grandmother that yes I had to work on Friday because it's not a real holiday and any company that actually closed would get sued so fast the building might actually spin around.


They would rather work?  I was off, nobody got sued.

~Paul
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: arkabee on April 12, 2004, 08:10:28 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I once again had to explain to my grandmother that yes I had to work on Friday because it's not a real holiday and any company that actually closed would get sued so fast the building might actually spin around.


They would rather work?  I was off, nobody got sued.

~Paul


me too.

of course, what are they going to say?

"hey, you closed for a religious holiday!!"
"which holiday?"
"why, Good Friday, of course!"
"hmmm, of course it was a good Friday, i was off work!"
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Ben-San on April 12, 2004, 08:25:25 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
We even have to have a "winter break" because a couple Jehovah's Witnesses complained a couple years ago.


That term is a little more common, as far as I know. Public schools usually get them, governmental offices occasionally get them (shorter than the schools do) and you get so much high-profile newspaper flamewar if they call it "Christmas break" that private institutions and businesses get sucked along in their wake.
Unless you're talking about something else, in which case I'm talking through my hat.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: CortJstr on April 12, 2004, 10:04:43 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
We even have to have a "winter break" because a couple Jehovah's Witnesses complained a couple years ago.


That term is a little more common, as far as I know. Public schools usually get them, governmental offices occasionally get them (shorter than the schools do) and you get so much high-profile newspaper flamewar if they call it "Christmas break" that private institutions and businesses get sucked along in their wake.
Unless you're talking about something else, in which case I'm talking through my hat.

That's exactly what I meant. We aren't even allowed to have a Halloween costume contest any more because of this crap. I think people at my office just like to bitch.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 01:03:18 am
Yeah, even at my rural Ontario high school we get Secular Winter Break.  

Although I did have to be switched out of my grade 1 class because the teacher was telling us Jeebus-stories.  Apparently PC is a relatively recent arrival to the area.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 01:34:14 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I once again had to explain to my grandmother that yes I had to work on Friday because it's not a real holiday and any company that actually closed would get sued so fast the building might actually spin around.


Businesses can close at any time for any reason.  Why would your company get sued for closing on Friday?


Seriously...the STATE of HAWAII was closed for Good Friday! I remember the City of Chicago would close as well. You'd think if ANYONE was gonna get sued....
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 01:39:16 am
State of Kentucky takes half a day on Good Friday.  Of course, I ended up working the whole day anyhow.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Bozack on April 13, 2004, 04:06:09 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
State of Kentucky takes half a day on Good Friday.  

Which is why, apparently, the restaurant where I work was fine up until noon, at which point hundreds of suits descended upon us, darkening the skies like passenger pigeons.
Easter was completely ridiculous. From the get-go, almost every table in the restaurant was reserved days before from 8:30 to 3:00. Which didn't stop an insane flood of walk-ins, nor a group of people calling at 9 to make reservations for 10, on EASTER, DAMN IT.
To those people, I could hardly keep from asking if perhaps their mobility was hindered by the massive balls they must have had swinging by their knees.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 04:40:58 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
State of Kentucky takes half a day on Good Friday.  

Which is why, apparently, the restaurant where I work was fine up until noon, at which point hundreds of suits descended upon us, darkening the skies like passenger pigeons.
Easter was completely ridiculous. From the get-go, almost every table in the restaurant was reserved days before from 8:30 to 3:00. Which didn't stop an insane flood of walk-ins, nor a group of people calling at 9 to make reservations for 10, on EASTER, DAMN IT.
To those people, I could hardly keep from asking if perhaps their mobility was hindered by the massive balls they must have had swinging by their knees.


You should probably explain that there's at least a 45 minute wait for a table every Sunday.  And probably every Saturday, too.  I didn't know you could make reservations.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2004, 01:17:07 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
You should probably explain that there's at least a 45 minute wait for a table every Sunday.  And probably every Saturday, too.  I didn't know you could make reservations.

45 minutes? God, I would kill to find a decent restaurant that only had a 45-minute wait on Saturdays.

Though I did notice the sushi place I went to Sunday was only half-full. And they had plenty of lobster sushi for once. Mmm.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2004, 02:38:58 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Although I did have to be switched out of my grade 1 class because the teacher was telling us Jeebus-stories.  Apparently PC is a relatively recent arrival to the area.

This reminds me of the time in ninth-grade geometry, right before Christmas, when my teacher passed out a Biblical-events survey. It was basically "in which book of the Bible did these major events occur?", and it was allegedly for her family's regular edition of, uh, Bible Family Feud? (I think.)

Anyway, I at least filled most of the blanks in randomly or with an eye on humor. Every time I got stuck? "Song of Solomon."
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 13, 2004, 03:51:00 pm
Revelations all the way.  Drug-addled end-of-the-world scenarios rule!  Or at least they did before those fuck*ng "Left Behind" books made people think it's literal truth.

Remember, folks:  Believing Allah will reward you with 70 dark-eyed virgins if you kill yourself while killing your enemies--that's CRAZY TALK.  But believing that the chosen will all spontaneously vanish one day, and that Jesus will return and spontaneously disembowel his enemies in a climactic battle in the desert--that shit is REAL!  And you're going to HELL if you don't agree!
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2004, 05:16:52 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Revelations all the way.  Drug-addled end-of-the-world scenarios rule!  Or at least they did before those fuck*ng "Left Behind" books made people think it's literal truth.

Revelation. Singular. </anal retentive dick>

I do agree it's weird though. Few think the "6 days" of creation were 6 actual 24-hour periods but apparently the rest of the book is all exact, literal, and perfect.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Ben-San on April 13, 2004, 07:59:50 pm
I'm reminded of the time that I was in a necessary e-mail correspondence with a fellow belonging to one of the weirder Christian sects. I felt the need to tell him after a while that I was Jewish and did not in fact believe in all the same things he did, at which point he told me "That's fine, I like Hebrews! You are the Chosen People and God will destroy the Russian and UN planes that come to bomb Israel in the end times with His holy light."

Later he angrily cut off the correspondence telling me that I was a messenger of the Devil who had attempted to seduce his younger brother into sin, which leads me to assume that the younger brother is a damned liar who has figured out the keywords to get his sibling to do whatever he likes.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 08:14:19 pm
Ah yes, my friend and I had a phase where we'd get very very stoned and read Revelations while eating lots and lots of crackers.  

So Saltines are forever linked in my mind with visions of firey damnation, and vice versa.  I've got no problem with the Bible when I take it as merely a good read, which it indisputably is.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: arkabee on April 13, 2004, 09:29:26 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Ah yes, my friend and I had a phase where we'd get very very stoned and read Revelations while eating lots and lots of crackers.  

So Saltines are forever linked in my mind with visions of firey damnation, and vice versa.  


odd, i got the same effect by eating chilli.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Bozack on April 13, 2004, 09:47:17 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I didn't know you could make reservations.


ANY TIME, ANY SIZE!
The first part is almost completely true (we like to keep 2 hours between when you call in and when you come, so no sneaky calling to make a reservation in 10 minutes), but the latter is absolutely true. The scariest moment in my life came when my manager OK'd a group of 40 for 3 hours into the future. But we sat every one of them.
Easter morning found a crude cartoon of Jesus, on the Cross, chewing and yelling, "HOLY ME! These eggs are....DIVINE!", followed by a caption that read, "Lynn's Paradise Cafe: We're Sacre-Licious!"
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: sjlimmer on April 13, 2004, 11:02:11 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Easter morning found a crude cartoon of Jesus, on the Cross, chewing and yelling, "HOLY ME! These eggs are....DIVINE!", followed by a caption that read, "Lynn's Paradise Cafe: We're Sacre-Licious!"


That had to have made for the best Easter ever!