The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Jugwine on April 12, 2004, 09:28:47 pm

Title: Dave Barry
Post by: Jugwine on April 12, 2004, 09:28:47 pm
Is a big Achewood fan (http://weblog.herald.com/column/davebarry/archives/013244.html#comments)

Who would have thought?
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: wombat on April 12, 2004, 10:01:43 pm
Interesting. You'd think having Dave Barry as a big fan could be a career boost for a person.  Although I'm not sure I want all those Dave Barry people finding this messageboard.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: jough on April 12, 2004, 10:06:23 pm
Not until I can bring heavy advertising sack.

Damn, you'd think Chris would be making more money with all of the fame he's gettin'.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: CortJstr on April 12, 2004, 10:06:40 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Interesting. You'd think having Dave Barry as a big fan could be a career boost for a person.  Although I'm not sure I want all those Dave Barry people finding this messageboard.

We can point out life's little foibles on our own.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2004, 10:51:57 pm
Are Dave Barry fans anything like Jimmy Buffet fans?

~Paul
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 12:59:19 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
We can point out life's little foibles on our own.


So what's the deal with airplanes??
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: Nabubrush on April 13, 2004, 01:01:50 am
And again, I have to ask: why not make the whole plane out of the black box material?
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2004, 01:04:39 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
And again, I have to ask: why not make the whole plane out of the black box material?

Because it would be too heavy to fly and we'd all die a horrible, horrible death. </overly literal dick>

But can you believe the size of the insects in Florida? And those flaming Pop-Tarts!
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: Nabubrush on April 13, 2004, 01:06:09 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
And again, I have to ask: why not make the whole plane out of the black box material?

Because it would be too heavy to fly and we'd all die a horrible, horrible death.

Sorry, forgot to put in the sarcasm tag.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 01:48:13 am
I think it's great that Achewood is enjoyed by such a famous fellow, but I must confess (at the risk of offending him should be lurking here) that Dave's humor never did much for me.  Kind of a shame since he's so ubiquitous.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2004, 02:01:10 am
I enjoyed Dave Barry a lot while young, but he's a little repetitive in my mind these days. Some of his stuff is still gold, though -- I treasure the Book of Bad Songs something awful.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 02:01:55 am
And his gift guide at Christmas is definitely awesome every year.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 02:05:44 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think it's great that Achewood is enjoyed by such a famous fellow, but I must confess (at the risk of offending him should be lurking here) that Dave's humor never did much for me.  Kind of a shame since he's so ubiquitous.


Oh no, now we have to self-censor as if Dave Barry might be among us?  This is getting way too weird for me.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 02:10:20 am
Maybe he and Onstad BOTH are regulars here with different names.
Maybe they are the same person!

Maybe They're ME!
Title: Re: Dave Barry
Post by: slink on April 13, 2004, 02:32:46 am
Wow. Props on what, if I'm correct, is a Studio Ghibli thing as an avatar?
Just can't tell 'cause I only know it side on (I had to run out of Spirited Away to phone my SO).
Good stuff if so.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: Nabubrush on April 13, 2004, 02:49:38 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Maybe he and Onstad BOTH are regulars here with different names.
Maybe they are the same person!

Maybe They're ME!

Seriously, though - are you them?
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 03:10:48 am
I'm really the late Frank Nelson. (http://www.what-a-character.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?id=982802859)  Yyyyeeeeeesssss.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: Choop on April 13, 2004, 03:59:11 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Definitly not me.

So I went over there and double posted like the lame-o I am.


Proper, indeed.
Title: Re: Dave Barry
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 04:02:47 am
Quote from: "slink"
Wow. Props on what, if I'm correct, is a Studio Ghibli thing as an avatar?
Just can't tell 'cause I only know it side on (I had to run out of Spirited Away to phone my SO).
Good stuff if so.


I guess you'd have to ask JLD about that, she rescued me from the hell of having no avatar by gifting me with this one. (Chinese gotta lotta hells, Jack)

It could be a studded giblet or whatever you said, I just said nice doggie and linked.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: Nabubrush on April 13, 2004, 04:16:14 am
West and Dawg, those are two pretty classic posts right there.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 04:21:53 am
Earlier today a coworker was talking about this character from Fibber McGee and Molly and I was trying to remember the name of the YEeeeeees guy....I kept thinking of the Great Gazoo, though. Thanks to August for saving me from hours of internet trolling this evening.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 05:04:56 am
Frank Nelson is a true American Icon.  He lurks in our collective subconscious.  I'll be sorry to see the day when no-one remembers him anymore.

One of the things that touched me about the info that I linked to was that he had written the constitution and bylaws for the local and national chapters of the AFTRA.  That's the sort of thing I do with some regularity.

Also, I feel an affinity for his name.  My first name is Frank and my grandmother's first husband's last name was Nelson.  I came this close to being a Frank Nelson myself.
Title: Re: Dave Barry
Post by: Ben-San on April 13, 2004, 08:12:19 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "slink"
Wow. Props on what, if I'm correct, is a Studio Ghibli thing as an avatar?
Just can't tell 'cause I only know it side on (I had to run out of Spirited Away to phone my SO).
Good stuff if so.


I guess you'd have to ask JLD about that, she rescued me from the hell of having no avatar by gifting me with this one. (Chinese gotta lotta hells, Jack)

It could be a studded giblet or whatever you said, I just said nice doggie and linked.


Pretty sure he means Jugwine's avatar, which does indeed appear to be My Neighbor Totoro, the mascot of Studio Ghibli and star of one of their many fine movies (albeit one targeted more towards the younger end of things).
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 08:50:39 am
Good clarification. I was thinking it was just a dog with some flowers.

Slink, could ya be a little more specific? I have no idea what a Giggly Stud is and you and Ben are scaring me.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2004, 01:05:01 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Good clarification. I was thinking it was just a dog with some flowers.

Slink, could ya be a little more specific? I have no idea what a Giggly Stud is and you and Ben are scaring me.

Studio Ghibli is a Japanese company responsible for some dandy movies. Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service off the top of my head.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 13, 2004, 01:21:54 pm
So was Frank Nelson the inspiration for this guy on the Simpsons?

Homer:  "Are you the maitre'd?"
"Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeees!"
"Do you have a table for the mayor?"
"Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeees!"
"Why do you talk like that?"
"Because I had a strooooooooooooooke!"
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 02:06:43 pm
That would be him.
Title: Dave Barry
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2004, 02:27:34 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Good clarification. I was thinking it was just a dog with some flowers.

Slink, could ya be a little more specific? I have no idea what a Giggly Stud is and you and Ben are scaring me.

Studio Ghibli is a Japanese animation studio that's primarily become famous for the films produced by Hayao Miyazaki, who is what you might call Big Japanese-Animation Mojo. Their latest was Spirited Away (fantastic if you have the slightest clue what's going on, but most people won't), but they have quite a few films which have received significant American press.
Title: Re: Dave Barry
Post by: Jugwine on April 13, 2004, 02:31:24 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Wow. Props on what, if I'm correct, is a Studio Ghibli thing as an avatar?
Just can't tell 'cause I only know it side on (I had to run out of Spirited Away to phone my SO).
Good stuff if so.


Yes, as others have already mentioned, it is in fact Totoro.  What it is disturbing is that some people think it's a big cat with ten nipples.
Title: Re: Dave Barry
Post by: slink on April 13, 2004, 04:56:10 pm
Quote from: "Jugwine"

Yes, as others have already mentioned, it is in fact Totoro.  What it is disturbing is that some people think it's a big cat with ten nipples.


Cool. I thought it was, I just haven't seen My Neighbour... yet either. Only got Kiki, Laputa and Spirited Away... And Mononoke.
Damned good stuff, and yea, I always wanted to use it as an avatar.
Sorry to confuse you 'Dawg!