The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bozack on April 13, 2004, 03:40:51 am

Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Bozack on April 13, 2004, 03:40:51 am
I am now the proud owner of a guitar.
Hmm, I hear you say. Is it a Fender? An Eddie Ball Music Man? A Gibson? Some $5 piece o' junk on ultra-sale at Musician's Friend?
No, it is not.
I sit here, typing, with a no-label, black lap steel guitar from (maybe) 1961 asittin' on my, umm...lap. I don't know how to play lap steel. Hell, it doesn't look like anyone in my town knows how to play lap steel. I plan to learn entirely from mail-order DVDs.
Anyway, who-all here plays an instrument? If we ever have an Ache-con, (and if I ever master the stylings of the lap steel to any degree of proficiency) we'd have to jam. So we need names, instruments, and band name suggestions.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2004, 03:49:36 am
I used to play drums, and I think given a rocking enough opportunity I could relearn them.

As for band names, I always wanted to be in a band called "The Pragmatic Ghosts of Science," but it seems rather unlikely.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 04:12:47 am
I'm working on Bass. I have a lot of vocal experience but that was theatre and stuff, and awhile ago. Counts for exactly Bupkus since this is a hypothetical band,

As for names, there were two bandnames that have stuck with me since college. One was a punk band called "Painful Discharge" and the other was 'Big Hunk O'Cheese".
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 13, 2004, 04:24:12 am
I'm "learning" piano/keyboard. Can't really play jack yet.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 04:59:25 am
Where'd you get it?

I play guitar, or I used to.  It's been about 6 years since I've played with any regularity.  But I suppose it's like riding a bike.  I could probably show you some chords or something.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 05:07:58 am
Show him your etchings!
Show him your etchings!
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 05:12:52 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Show him your etchings!
Show him your etchings!


Ummmm, No.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Limmo on April 13, 2004, 05:20:53 am
I'm a decent guitarist and can now hold my own on the bass as well. Can't sing worth a shit.

For a band name, I would suggest Carol Badabing and the Aryan Peace Experience.  

235: go here (http://www.melbay.com/results.asp?Category=G14%2C+G15&heading=Guitar%3A+Pedal+Steel+and+Lap+Steel&head1=&sub1=&sub=1&catID=44&Head2=Guitar&mode=browse&discontinued=no) for lap steel instructionals.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: jough on April 13, 2004, 05:36:54 am
I used to play guitar lots, but haven't much lately.  I have mp3s around these parts somewhere, and if you have access to the Muze database you can see what albums I played on (although you'd never have heard of any of the artists).

All I can tell you is: chicks dig the guitar even if you suck at playing it.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 07:02:18 am
I was searching for Bass resources and I found this walkman-like device that you put any CD in and plug your guitar in.  It'll feed you into the walkman and you'll hear your Bass instead of the one on the CD. I don't know if it would work for instruments other than Bass or if they exist for others but it could be a good way to practice quietly.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2004, 11:41:46 am
I could play guitar again in a minute, and I can sing, even in harmony.
I used to play a lot of other useless things like button accordion, recorder, and shawm, but right now I am retired from music.

We need an Achewood-related band name, though, don't you think?  Roast Beef and the Saddest Things, or something.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 12:00:32 pm
Quote from: "jough"
All I can tell you is: chicks dig the guitar even if you suck at playing it.


Pff.  Bass is way more appealing.  And then some girls just
fall in love with the drummer (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/SongUnid/B8FEC19D28FF745748256BFE002991F4).

Me, I always had my aspirations, but the best I can do is, with great effort, about 4 chords on the guitar.  At least I've transcended the 3-chord paradigm, I guess.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2004, 12:22:58 pm
Why don't guys feel the same way about guitar playing chicks?  Oh, or maybe it's just me.

I am up too early on my day off, trolling the archives for band names.

The Bad Chimichangas
Ray's Nipples
Death Limo
Lung Brothers
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 13, 2004, 01:24:06 pm
I play the gee-tar.  I own a 12-string, which I don't play nearly often enough.

I sang for a band in college.  (Sang sometimes, screamed others.)  It was the height of the grunge craze, so that's what we tried to be.  We actually played at CBGB's in NYC, no shit, the highlight of my musical career.  I miss that stuff.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: jough on April 13, 2004, 02:18:13 pm
I find girls who play the cello to be hella sexy.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2004, 02:29:25 pm
I would definitely play in any band called "Roast Beef and the Saddest Things." I think I have a recorder around here somewhere, too.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: arkabee on April 13, 2004, 04:31:06 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Why don't guys feel the same way about guitar playing chicks?  


am i not a guy?  if you cut me, do i not bleed?  if you produce an alt-rock chixor album, do i not buy it?  damn you deal sisters! damn you to hell!
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: slink on April 13, 2004, 04:58:15 pm
Well, y'all (except the newer ones) know I play gueetar. And drums some, and bass for myself and for older bands I was in.

Actually... I'm off to the studio in but a month to record my album, and then put it out there. So y'all will get a copy of it and whatnot!
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2004, 05:10:51 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
am i not a guy?


I had somehow acquired the impression that you were a cockroach who could type and that you had a cat friend named Mehitabel.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2004, 05:18:03 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "arkabee"
am i not a guy?

I had somehow acquired the impression that you were a cockroach who could type and that you had a cat friend named Mehitabel.

I thought arkabee was the first creation to pass the Turing test.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 08:18:15 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "arkabee"
am i not a guy?


I had somehow acquired the impression that you were a cockroach who could type and that you had a cat friend named Mehitabel.


Oh man, if I had my way, Don Marquis allusions would get people a lot farther in life than my experiments suggest that they currently do.


Edit:  One post away from Satanhood!  I wish I'd timed my drugs + Book of Revelations comment just a little better.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Bozack on April 13, 2004, 08:41:24 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "arkabee"
am i not a guy?


I had somehow acquired the impression that you were a cockroach who could type and that you had a cat friend named Mehitabel.


Oh man, if I had my way, Don Marquis allusions would get people a lot farther in life than my experiments suggest that they currently do.


DONE. The bands name is, as of right now, Archy and the Mehitabels. OTHER NAMES MUST FIGHT WITH ARCHY AND THE MEHITABELS IN THUNDERDOME.

TWO NAMES ENTER. ONE NAME LEAVES.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2004, 09:18:30 pm
Archy and the Mehitabels = finest band name in the history of the world.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: arkabee on April 13, 2004, 09:42:57 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "arkabee"
am i not a guy?


I had somehow acquired the impression that you were a cockroach who could type and that you had a cat friend named Mehitabel.


just googled, this don marquis stuff is riveting.

what made the impression, the lowercase habit, or the username?  i doubt you'd have ever seen my horrid pomes.  in the past i'd always received "lame wannabe ee cummings".

Quote from: "CortJstr"

I thought arkabee was the first creation to pass the Turing test.


i haven't messed with 'bots since i left usenet.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2004, 10:31:43 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Archy and the Mehitabels = finest band name in the history of the world.


YES except that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH ACHEWOOD, PEOPLE.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2004, 11:43:47 pm
Maybe this is not the official unofficial Don Marquis forum!

Don't mind me, I am having a bad day and am already out of Easter chocolate.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 13, 2004, 11:50:43 pm
We could have achewood named albums:

Stay off the Beach, Pat!
The Saddest Thing....


I thought Vlad and the Liebots would be a fun band name, too...
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: andalucia on April 13, 2004, 11:54:50 pm
X and the Ys is a good format in general, where X is a generic sassy person or object and Y something related but less significant.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 14, 2004, 12:04:25 am
or just Ecks and the Wise could be good, to.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2004, 01:26:47 am
Quote from: "Arkabee"
what made the impression, the lowercase habit, or the username?


The lowercase habit.  To quote my favorite advice columnist, "Have some dignity."
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 14, 2004, 02:45:47 am
I would also have to love anyone who actually named a band "Ecks and the Wise," too. But yes, we can work Achewoodiness into other aspects of our band. So there!
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: jay-ell on April 14, 2004, 03:36:15 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would also have to love anyone who actually named a band "Ecks and the Wise," too. But yes, we can work Achewoodiness into other aspects of our band. So there!


What about "Ex and the Whys?"  

As in, someone I used to date...and the lingering questions regarding the relationship's demise.  Ah, it is a melancholy evening...
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Bozack on April 14, 2004, 03:40:41 am
Okay, band name aside for one moment, what type of band is this going to be? As of right now we have:
Me- violin, mandolin, NOMINAL slide guitar.
Slink- guitar, drums, bass.
Asherdan-trombone.
V-Adore- recorder, drums.
Carlos- guitar.
Andalucia- 4 chords of ROCK.
Wombat- Guitar, and maybe, just maybe, button accordion, recorder, and....shawm?*
AlohaDawg- Bass.
AugustWest- guitar.
Jorge- Mr. Piano Man.
Limmo- guitar, bass.
Jough- Guitar.
Man, that's not even a band. That's like some sort of crazy musical army. Or orchestra. Or ska band.
I vote that our band should be the first international, fully hypothetical internet alt-country orchestra. But let's have a genre fight.

August: Guitar Emporium; it was the only place that carried them, and although I know I should have gotten an 8-string, they had none, and I really didn't feel like eBaying until I died. If you could show me anything, I'd be much obliged, although slide/steel is strung differently than guitars (I'm currently rocking in the standard for electric lap 6-strings, EBEG#BE).

Limmo: Thanks a lot, man, I completely overlooked the fact that the man that taught me mandolin might have a lil' something to say about slide. Mr. Bay, what CAN'T you teach? My books should be getting to my local distributor in about a week.

*ah, of course, the medieval shawm, perhaps the most important double reed instrument of the Middle Ages and Reneisance, as modeled by the Shameless Wonder below.
(http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/medshawm.jpg)
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2004, 03:47:32 am
Bass.  Me.

~Paul
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Bozack on April 14, 2004, 03:58:49 am
I am an idiot. We all already know the name of the band.
Animalicious.
WE DECIDED ON THIS NAME IN LESS THAN THREE MINUTES AMERICA.
NOW SIT BACK AND PREPARE TO HAVE YOUR MINDS BLOWN AS THIRTEEN COMPLETE MUSICAL STRANGERS EXPLORE THE SONIC LANDSCAPE.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 14, 2004, 04:05:41 am
If we're exploring the sonic landscape, I should probably note that I am capable of also playing supplemental percussion (marimba, timpanis, that kind of thing) and novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2004, 04:46:33 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!


In 10th grade, I wrote a symphony for Hit-Me-Here's.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: jough on April 14, 2004, 05:57:03 am
I'm not much of a guitar player, but I can sing like crazy.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2004, 08:33:49 am
Don't forget I can sing too.  I suppose Jough will make me be the stupid girl backup singer with the tambourine. But man, we are going to have to sing hella loud over all those guitars.

Incidentally I want to make it absolutely clear that I never played shawm in such idiotic getup and that part of the reason I got out of doing early music was that I was tired of that whole sort of thing.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: slink on April 14, 2004, 11:45:48 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Stay off the Beach, Pat!



But in terms of a band name that makes me think too much of King Missile's fine number - 'Hey Einstein, get off the beach!'
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 14, 2004, 12:06:38 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!


In 10th grade, I wrote a symphony for Hit-Me-Here's.

YOU. ARE. RAD.

This is all.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2004, 01:12:16 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!


In 10th grade, I wrote a symphony for Hit-Me-Here's.

YOU. ARE. RAD.

This is all.


Actually, thinking back on it, I co-wrote it with Steve Gorman.  He went on to have a much more distinguished musical career than I.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: jay-ell on April 14, 2004, 04:26:02 pm
I sing, and also play viola.  Can I be in your band?
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2004, 04:29:06 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Okay, band name aside for one moment, what type of band is this going to be? As of right now we have:
Me- violin, mandolin, NOMINAL slide guitar.
Slink- guitar, drums, bass.
Asherdan-trombone.
V-Adore- recorder, drums.
Carlos- guitar.
Andalucia- 4 chords of ROCK.
Wombat- Guitar, and maybe, just maybe, button accordion, recorder, and....shawm?*
AlohaDawg- Bass.
AugustWest- guitar.
Jorge- Mr. Piano Man.
Limmo- guitar, bass.
Jough- Guitar.
Man, that's not even a band. That's like some sort of crazy musical army. Or orchestra. Or ska band.
I vote that our band should be the first international, fully hypothetical internet alt-country orchestra. But let's have a genre fight.

I'm pretty sure you just described The Aquabats.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: sjlimmer on April 14, 2004, 04:32:09 pm
If your "international, fully hypothetical internet alt-country orchestra" ever decides to cover Country Death Song, I'll play the bass part (it's all I've managed to teach myself so far...not enough time to practice).
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Limmo on April 14, 2004, 06:28:28 pm
Animalicious will probably sound like a hybrid of Sigur Ros and the Langley School Music Project.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Bozack on April 14, 2004, 06:42:04 pm
I didn't add in who was going to do vocals, because I knew it would be crazy. Everyone wants to be a lead singer.
Sooooooo....
Let's hold auditions!
Okay, we need MP3's of people singing. I'll host 'em, if you'll PM me. Now, the only question is...what song?
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 14, 2004, 06:51:25 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I didn't add in who was going to do vocals, because I knew it would be crazy. Everyone wants to be a lead singer.
Sooooooo....
Let's hold auditions!
Okay, we need MP3's of people singing. I'll host 'em, if you'll PM me. Now, the only question is...what song?

I'd do a "choose the song you think displays your mad skillz" best sort of thing.

That said, now I'm sorely tempted to make an MP3 to audition. If nothing else, I could do the renditions of "King of Spain" and "Woodpeckers From Space" I've been using as audio weapons against Asshole Suitemate.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: andalucia on April 14, 2004, 08:21:14 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Animalicious will probably sound like a hybrid of Sigur Ros and the Langley School Music Project.


That concept made my day.  I was in the process yesterday of trying to convince a friend that it is Inherently Wrong to start describing his guitar experiments as Pink Floyd meets Radiohead meets whatever else he happened to be into, and started trying to coin the best examples of that phenomenon that I could.  But you win.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 14, 2004, 08:36:15 pm
For auditions everyone must submit an a capella version of "Tomorrow" from Annie and something in an impossible key signature and bizarre syncopation, like Sondheim.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2004, 11:24:43 pm
If that's the rule I will definitely settle for being the dumb girl background singer with the stupid tambourine, because I am NOT singing "Tomorrow."
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: Limmo on April 14, 2004, 11:25:29 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I was in the process yesterday of trying to convince a friend that it is Inherently Wrong to start describing his guitar experiments as Pink Floyd meets Radiohead meets whatever else he happened to be into, and started trying to coin the best examples of that phenomenon that I could.  But you win.


Glad to hear that I win.

Sounds like your friend's burying the needle on the Pretentiometer. Tell him it sounds like ass meets badness.   Or tell him he needs to grow a pair and work on his two-handed tapping.   That should shut him right up.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 12:39:40 am
Quote from: "wombat"
If that's the rule I will definitely settle for being the dumb girl background singer with the stupid tambourine, because I am NOT singing "Tomorrow."


We could sing Madrigals and you could accompany us on the Madagascar Meat Whistle or whatever you call that instrument RenFestBoy was playing in that Pinocchio outfit earlier....Schwanz or something.....
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: V-Adore on April 15, 2004, 01:28:51 am
Oh, great. Now we have to call an album "Madagascar Meat Whistle," possibly while posing in RenFeste-wear for the cover.
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AugustWest on April 15, 2004, 02:41:01 am
Why is it all the talk of schwanz blowing goes on when I'm not around?
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2004, 02:54:11 am
I know this usually kills it, but I have to point out that this shit y'all layin' out is gold.

~Paul
Title: For Those About to Rock!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 04:45:50 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Why is it all the talk of schwanz blowing goes on when I'm not around?


No one wants to compete with Alex Trebek, of course.

Somebody e-mail Michael McKean, Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer and give them the idea for their next bizarre Mockumentary:

RenFair! Madrigal sountrack, funny outfits and people who take themselves WAY too seriously, which is pretty much what those guys do best....

And, to be fair to V, the Madagascar Meat Whistle and the Senegalese Skin Flute could be a lovely duet, or trio if we include Wombat on the Schwanz. Or whatever that thing was called.