The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: slink on August 01, 2003, 09:35:40 am

Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: slink on August 01, 2003, 09:35:40 am
I was impressed by todays Achewood (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003)!
The delivery of the line 'Well, okay, but there's still a hair in my nachos' was superb.
Got kind of strange towards the end there though...
Maybe the O is free of the stress already!
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: jough on August 01, 2003, 09:38:34 am
Hey Slink, I think yours was the first relevant post!

I think Onstad was making fun of us a little "Sorry Ray, the readers are saying that they're tired of seeing you in the strip all the time."

Ha.

-- Jough
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 01, 2003, 10:10:44 am
I'm not sure how many times this debate has been warmed over, but...

I actually think that Beef and Ray are the most compelling characters and thus the most deserving of strip space.
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2003, 01:20:04 pm
Teenaged X-Box playin' Phillippe was funny and disturbing, all at the same time.

And yes, I see this clearly as an exorcism of all Onstad's Message Board demons.  Or at least a venting of some of his pet peeves.  Or maybe it's a slap at me personally.  I'll get him for this.
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: Vinz Clortho on August 01, 2003, 01:44:29 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Teenaged X-Box playin' Phillippe was funny and disturbing, all at the same time.


More disturbing than his new sleeveless thug-t or his Vincent Price-like teenage moustache, is that he is as big as a human.

That is a very large and angry otter.
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 01:50:39 pm
I'm impressed that the "real" Ray isn't a prima donna and was actually willing to give up the spotlight. And I'm sure he talk Beef into making more nacho-y goodness.

But obviously with any ensamble piece there's a balance with use of the obvious stand-out characters and the rest of the cast. I don't even think it would be necessary to have Ray-less strips, just having him interacting with people other than Beef seemed to make most peole happy.
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: jough on August 01, 2003, 02:10:35 pm
The problem with staying up all night and seeing the new comic soopa-early is that now I have to wait until Monday for more new stuff.

And I already read Ebert's reviews too.  Man, my Friday schedule is pretty much clear and it's only 10AM.

I guess I should get some sleep at some point eventually.

-- Jough, who despite having oodles of fun with ya'll had to do work for a client after setting this bad boy up.
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: Freddie Fractions on August 01, 2003, 04:00:13 pm
The artfullness of today's comic almost makes it seem like O changed the schedule knowing the response it would provoke among some, only to make them part of the joke...
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: ferocious j on August 01, 2003, 05:46:15 pm
Philippe's reaction was priceless; it reminded me of David Cross's bit about the Light Up Atlanta festival.

"Excuse me, do you know if this is the line for the beer or the tickets to get the beer?"
" ... I don't know, faggot."
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2003, 03:11:38 pm
ferocious, you may have just hit upon why i am such the fan of achewood.

my favorite sketch show has been mr.show since it first aired (or since i first saw it), and it's got a certain sense about its humor that just can't be replicated.

and achewood has that same kind of thing going on! not that they have the same certain sense, but they both have such distinct certain senses to their forms and shapes of humor, and both their senses are similarly constructed, if you know what i mean.

i'm italic-happy and capitals-unhappy at this moment, it would appear.
Title: Well, without the stress of the board...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 11, 2003, 05:25:56 am
Well the board wouldn't be much stress today.  Not a single Achewood post.  I couldn't let the entire day go past without at least one.

~Paul