The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: CortJstr on April 14, 2004, 11:30:38 pm

Title: Windows Update
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2004, 11:30:38 pm
Did you run Windows Update today (Apr 14)? You should. There's like 20 flaws that were all fixed just last night.
Title: Windows Update
Post by: jough on April 14, 2004, 11:32:11 pm
I'd recommend against installing any new Windows updates that were JUST uploaded.  They usually have hella bugs that break more things than they fix.

Wait a week for them to get things straight and then patch it.
Title: Windows Update
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 15, 2004, 12:40:37 am
Curse that autoupdate function. Curse it!

..Actually, curse Windows..
Title: Windows Update
Post by: CortJstr on April 15, 2004, 01:28:17 am
Quote from: "jough"
I'd recommend against installing any new Windows updates that were JUST uploaded.  They usually have hella bugs that break more things than they fix.

Wait a week for them to get things straight and then patch it.

Normally I'd agree but I've heard a lot of press about the flaws. Plus my the number of intrusions my firewall blocked went up by like 400% today so I went ahead and updated.
Title: Windows Update
Post by: andalucia on April 15, 2004, 02:35:05 am
I just ignore Windows Update popups.  I'm sure this is a terrible terrible idea, but their website tends to make everything on my computer crash.
Title: Windows Update
Post by: AugustWest on April 15, 2004, 02:38:15 am
Since I am on dialup it would take me something like 36 hours to download these updates.  Hence, I have not yet had time to get them.
Title: Windows Update
Post by: Choop on April 15, 2004, 04:43:21 am
I installed them this morning at the office, and couldn't get my PC running correctly for like 2 hours. It was basically like torture.

Seriously, have you ever tried to run a program from the command line in a heavily-supervised-networked-windows2000-and-winXP environment? Either the command line (hell to navigate, no tab-completion like *x) or TaskManager > File > New Task (Run) > Browse... > (Choose the file, no parameters). TERRIBLE.

I'm switching to Fedora 2 as soon as it's available. I'm sick and frikkin' tired of this crap.
Title: Windows Update
Post by: CortJstr on April 15, 2004, 04:50:52 pm
I don't worry about my work machine. We're so restricted that I can't even get my computer recognize my penis has a wheel without calling IT. But my two machines at home accepted the updates with no pain.
Title: Windows Update
Post by: slink on April 16, 2004, 08:02:54 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I just ignore Windows Update popups.  I'm sure this is a terrible terrible idea, but their website tends to make everything on my computer crash.


Erm, not all that terrible. I just install the service packs and be done with it.
With a good firewall and consciencious avoidance of virii I've never once had a problem (well, except for when my floppy copy of 3.1 was infected with a harmless virus).
It's only neurosis that keeps everything up to date (although it is worth using dx9.1b to avoid the midi hack!).
Title: Windows Update
Post by: arkabee on April 18, 2004, 02:39:59 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I just ignore Windows Update popups.  I'm sure this is a terrible terrible idea, but their website tends to make everything on my computer crash.


this has always shown me to be an indication that there is something wrong with the computer i was working on.