The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: pierced lemur on April 16, 2004, 05:29:11 am
-
I reproduce here a letter to the editor that ran in my college's newspaper, "The Free Press". They've been running Achewood for a while now. A while ago the ran the "bitches gotta take their cunt pills" strip; I think that probably triggered this.
* * *
Insensitive Achewood
To the Editor:
We are deeply troubled by the editorial decision to run Achewood comic strips in The Free Press. The author of this strip clearly intends his work to be both obnoxious and insulting. The cartoons make derogatory references to gays and lesbians, use obscene language, speak about women in terms that are vulgar and offensive, and are homophobic, sexist, misogynist and racist.
The University of Maine System's Nondiscriminatory Harassment Policy states that while "freedom of speech is of paramount value to any University ... great care much be taken not to unhibit open discussion, debate and expression of personal opinion. Freedom of speech is not a shield behind which a person can harass others."
"Actions or behavior," the policy furthers, may include "offensive pictures," as were found in the Free Press running of the Achewood comics. And hence, while, "the pain inflicted might be intentional or accidental, that does not matter. What matters is that the behavior and actions are harmful."
No positive purpose was served by subjecting the USM community to obscene, harassing, sexist, homophobic and racist material. We must, as the UMS Policy states, "be sensitive to the harmful effects of hostil behavior and refrain from acting in ways that are demeaning and offensive to others. We can express our opinions and voice even strong disagreements without using statements, gestures, or actions that personally attack others." We hope that in the future, the Free Press will seek to be respectful of all members of USM's community while ensuring our rights to freedom of speech.
Luisa S. Deprez
Interim Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Susan F. Feiner
Director, Women's Studies
Jane Marie Kirschling
Dean, College of Nursing and Health Professions
Joseph S. Wood
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Zark VanZandt
Dean, Lewiston-Auburn College
-
Doesn't that just piss you off? I'm working on a response to send in to the paper. I sent it off to Onstad to see if he wants to write anything for me to send in for him. Anyone want to write a letter to the editor? Post your thoughts up here.
-
(http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/psc_images/lyle.gif)
PROPER. fuck*ng PROPER.
-
PROPER. fuck*ng PROPER.
You approve of Lyle? Made it mahself.
-
i'm curious if the letter came with those typos or if those came from you typing it into this little box to post it on the forum. until i hear otherwise, i am going to believe that it was sent to you with those typos, because it makes it that much funnier :)
also i would like to add that i studied plenty of women on my own, with no help from the womens studies department. i eventually took psychology of women and marriage & family (a sociology class) because of stupid requirements making me take classes about what someone believes to be oppressed minorities instead of classes that might actually be useful. the womens studies and ethnic studies deparments are more like the make white males feel like they are responsible for everything wrong with the world, though they probably had nothing to do with it at all studies. well that was my experience, anyway. sorry for that little rant which i'm sure is at least slightly off-topic . .
-
Humorless people make me sad. Are they really so simpleminded as to not understand the point of that strip was not misogynist (i.e. to express the idea that women are in fact bitches who need to take their cunt pills) but to make fun of a character who holds those views? This is the same mindset that thinks Huckleberry Finn is a racist book. Nothing like a knee-jerk reaction.
-
My S.O. is Assistant to the President of the Feminist Majority and she (my SO) likes Achewood.
I hated the non-western studies requirement at college. But there was a big-ass loophole. See, slavic countries are considered eastern Europe, so any SLAV course counted as your non-western studies requirement. Even SLAV 240: Dracula. So you spent a whole semester watching vampire movies, wrote a paper, and knocked out both the non-western studies and writing requirements all in one convenient early afternoon T+R class.
Sweet.
Best I can figure that requirement only existed because otherwise the enrollment in things like 20th Century China wasn't high enough to justify having the class. But if they didn't hold those kinds of classes the schools get all kinds of flak for only teaching white male history. So the easiest solution is to force all students to take the classes and keep enrollment up.
-
I am not sure how I feel generally about this issue, but I find the general concept of a class named "SLAV 240: Dracula" enough to redeem this entire thread. This is all.
-
left hand- i think it's good to require students to become educated. the broader the better.
right hand- it seems inevitable that the broader someone wants to make you, the narrower you actually become, until, eventually, you become who they are.
the other hand- inevtiable dumb joke about broads at college.
to slide slightly towards the topic at hand:
quitting smoking again has heightened my ability to see just how whimsical my moods and attitudes are.
for instance, this morning i woke up very angry and pissed off, and the first thing, even before i wanted to pee!, i wanted to do was crush the skulls of anyone who disagree with me under my bootheel.
then, i realized i was in such a bad mood because what i really wanted was to smoke the cigarettes of those whose skulls i'd crushed.
it would seem that those people woke up and said "today i will be a prick and attempt to point out the evils of satire and comedy thus making everyone else as unhappy as me".
too bad they aren't as even-keeled as i am, and are unable to see that they themselves and various chemical imbalances are to blame for their antisocial behaviours.
i should start a School of Thought about this, and make it a requirement, in an effort to accept and emulate my Minority of One, that these people subscribe to it, until they become unto me.
ps-
dirty deeds done dirt cheap,
i'd walk a mile and a half for a camel.
HINT HINT.
-
(insert overly easy, snide remark about possible chemical imbalances here)
-
I'd draft a letter for you if I thought it would help.
The real problem with colleges today is that they hippy leftists are in charge, and it's the STUDENTS who are uptight P.C. fascists.
I got into lots of trouble in college since I was the editor of the "alternative" literary magazine (which has since become the main college respectable magazine) and even stupid little jokes at the expense of the university, like this "ad" for the Uni I put on the back of the magazine one year after the adminstration approved a new curriculum that required fewer papers and a lower GPA to meet their minimum standards:
West Chester University: We've Lowered Our Standards, But Not Our Prices
Luckily, I had already graduated by the time the issue came to print - but there was a meeting held (which I did not attend) where the President of the college suggested that they repeal my diploma (her request was denied).
Of course, there was also the problem of a very vulgar play of mine that was published in the same issue.
-
I got into lots of trouble in college since I was the editor of the "alternative" literary magazine (which has since become the main college respectable magazine)
Okay, now this I can sympathize with.
I'm a staff member of my college's humor magazine and will be a full editor next year; my co-editor and I are bracing for the Herculean task before us of staying both funny and college-recognized. The magazine almost got forcefully derecognized by College Council for making a joke about its creation of a "minority seat" (College Council Creates 'Black Guy' Position) that was somehow construed as being anti-minority, and this year the story was brought out again by the same organizations to paint us as "hatemongers." It's to the point now that we're making a two-page spread of articles for the spring issue mocking our own reputation.
(Of course, this also involves an illustration of the editors and editors-elect in pajamas, bound and gagged for summary Justice, but hey, you get your humor where you find it.)
-
I am so pleased that I know (if only virtually) someone who caused a college official to try to revoke his diploma. I feel that I am finally running with the right sort of crowd.
-
I am so pleased that I know (if only virtually) someone who caused a college official to try to revoke his diploma. I feel that I am finally running with the right sort of crowd.
I think I want to be him.
-
I bow before thee mighty Jough.
~Paul
-
Copies of said magazine are available for the price of postage.
-
Luckily, I had already graduated by the time the issue came to print - but there was a meeting held (which I did not attend) where the President of the college suggested that they repeal my diploma (her request was denied).
Of course, there was also the problem of a very vulgar play of mine that was published in the same issue.
I can't figure out what is more fucked here. Juts the idea that the President of the college felt that it was appropriate to revoke someone's diploma for this sort of "transgression" is sort of horrifying. I guess I understand that a school that might not be really behind the free exchange of ideas might feel justified in curbing the free speech of those putting out such a magazine/newspaper, but it seems like revocation of one's diploma is a little over the top. What was she thinking, that all your credits would be eliminated, so you'dhave to start over? How would this sort of thing work? She sounds truly goofy, and also dangerous.
-
She had a lot of strange ideas that bordered on Stalinism, and her employment was repealed the following year.
I'd had dinner with her earlier in the semester - I was a very good student (I was better at school than I am at real life) and she had this "Dinner with the President" thing going once a month for students from each department who were recommended by the Dept. chair.
Whacky lady. I believe she's the head of another university now.
-
I find this pretty troublesome (to get back on topic due to my late arrival), because I had a hard-core feminist upbringing, and am probably one of the closest people to the archetypal "humourless feminist" in the small town where I live.
But of course, I'm also extremely pro-Achewood, although I do, I admit, sometimes find it offensive. But I've been reading the strip a long time, and any time it makes me feel uncomfortable I have the memories of many other brilliant strips to fall back on, whereas these people are presumably basing their opinions on a lack of context.
</profound ambivalence>
-
Whacky lady. I believe she's the head of another university now.
Would that "other university" happen to be NC State? Because if you went to school under Marye Anne Fox, you have my deepest and heartfelt sympathy.
-
Furthermore, is that last guy's name really Zark?
-
I think one of these days I might actually find something offensive.
But I doubt it.
-
I was thinking about "cunt pills" today, and it struck me that the only reason I didn't feel it was offensive is because Onstad wrote it. If one of the idiots here at work had just said it out loud, I would have come unglued.
Note: this is just my opinion.
-
I was thinking about "cunt pills" today, and it struck me that the only reason I didn't feel it was offensive is because Onstad wrote it. If one of the idiots here at work had just said it out loud, I would have come unglued.
Note: this is just my opinion.
My opinion of it would probably be different if it weren't for Beef's reactions and reluctance.
-
Why is it so difficult to understand that if you put offensive words in an unsympathetic character's mouth it tends to discourage the use of said words? I call this the Bunker principle.
-
Why is it so difficult to understand that if you put offensive words in an unsympathetic character's mouth it tends to discourage the use of said words? I call this the Bunker principle.
Without the intention of being aggressive, it's not really a matter of understanding. I consider these people likely to be quite intelligent and to have a reasonable position-- I don't generally consider "It was just a joke" to be a very compelling comeback to being called on an offensive comment.
Obviously I've developed praeternatural sensitivity to this sort of thing, but I just feel obliged to play devil's advocate here.
-
Where did I say "It's just a joke"? Looking back, maybe I did in my first post.
My point is, if you put words like this in an oagiraffe character's mouth isn't the message that only oafs speak these words?
How can we can convey a negative message about a word without speaking it?
I think you have to look at the use of offensive words in their context. The message of the "cunt pills" strip isn't that females are all bitches and inferior, it's that Todd is obnoxious and singularly unsuitable to be vice-president (except possibly on a Republican ticket.) That strip isn't about women, it's about Todd.
I have a problem with the idea that some words should be absolutely forbidden in any context, especially when used in a community that is supposedly composed of intelligent, sophisticated people who are theoretically capable of understanding subtle humor.
No agression taken and none meant. Just a discussion.
-
I think you have to look at the use of offensive words in their context. The message of the "cunt pills" strip isn't that females are all bitches and inferior, it's that Todd is obnoxious and singularly unsuitable to be vice-president (except possibly on a Republican ticket.) That strip isn't about women, it's about Todd.
The importance of context was something I was trying to establish in my ambivalent first post. And I do definitely agree with much of what you said. The position I took in this discussion was mostly based upon the fact that the debate seemed to have telescoped to a more general indictment of feminism that I found kinda disconcerting.
-
If Todd wasn't speaking the TRUTH, I doubt anyone would have been offended.
I mean, sometimes bitches DO need to take their cunt pills. It's just a fact of life.
But college isn't about life. It's about learning how to fit in and not offend anyone.
Colleges say WE'LL MAKE A HAPPY LITTLE COG OUT OF YOU YET
-
I've been a PR person. My job was to scour the media for anything we could react to then immediatly draft a letter to the editor. We didn't go back and read previous pieces by the author, we just reacted immediately.
These people saw one strip with no context and consciously decided to avoid learning the context because it would slow down writing their response. Had they gone back even one strip or gone forward to the next new one (the following day was a repeat) they would see how Todd was being portrayed and that he was written as a jackass who offends women's groups.
But if you wait then the issue becomes old and newspapers won't care any more. So rule #1 of PR is react NOW. And once you've reacted then you can look at context. Of course if you find from the context you were wrong you can't admit it, you just start planning how to defend your original statement even though you don't believe it any more.
And I agree with Carlin, you can joke about anything. There's nothing wrong with jokes about cunt pills or rape as long as that shit's funny.
-
Maybe, but when was the last REALLY FUNNY joke about "baby rape" that YOU'VE heard?
-
Maybe, but when was the last REALLY FUNNY joke about "baby rape" that YOU'VE heard?
Three years ago last January.
(It was a Michael Jackson joke, and I was tired. Cut me some slack.)
-
There's nothing wrong with jokes about cunt pills or rape as long as that shit's funny.
Tell me a rape joke that'd make me laugh and I'll believe you.
-
There's nothing wrong with jokes about cunt pills or rape as long as that shit's funny.
Tell me a rape joke that'd make me laugh and I'll believe you.
Even if it wasn't funny to you, it could still fit with this theory, no? There's something wrong with the joke, cause it's not funny.
-
There's nothing wrong with jokes about cunt pills or rape as long as that shit's funny.
Tell me a rape joke that'd make me laugh and I'll believe you.
Even if it wasn't funny to you, it could still fit with this theory, no? There's something wrong with the joke, cause it's not funny.
See, I think you're approaching this on two different wavelengths. You're implying that unfunny rape jokes are always unfunny based on execution -- if it's not funny, it's because it was badly implemented. If I may put words in andalucia's mouth, she's saying that the implementation is probably a moot point, because the general concept of rape jokes is unfunny, at least to her. In other words, she's arguing that some things are intrinsically unfunny, even if the execution sparkles.
(I sort of agree with her, sort of don't. I waffle.)
-
Maybe, but when was the last REALLY FUNNY joke about "baby rape" that YOU'VE heard?
Had something to do with duct tape, I think.
-
There's nothing wrong with jokes about cunt pills or rape as long as that shit's funny.
Tell me a rape joke that'd make me laugh and I'll believe you.
Even if it wasn't funny to you, it could still fit with this theory, no? There's something wrong with the joke, cause it's not funny.
This is the nutshell: We all find different things funny. Someone out there can and will laugh at a rape joke. There is no topic in existence that can't be joked about to SOMEONE. This is why I don't work in a funeral home. I guarantee I would find some funny shit every day and the client, who just lost a family member, would not and maybe never appreciate the humor. If it makes someone laugh, it's funny even if the rest of us don't get it or appreciate it.
The problem is that there are those who have been picked on historically, and often are also in a position to speak for a minority or underrepresented, or financially beset group and they feel that they have moral authority to tell the rest of us, in the majority, what should be funny. Even if the joke turns not on the unpopular view but on the CHARACTER of the person expressing it.
And it's too damn bad because those people NEVER, EVER have a sense of humor.
It's about context and it is also the cognitive environment of the person hearing the words. August is right; policing of language in a vacuum is a slippery slope to outlawing expression in general and shouldn't happen.
-
August is right;
I wish more people understood the universal truth of this three word statement. Could you perhaps e-mail this to my wife and my boss?
-
Gah... I'm getting out of this thread before I have to go all gender-politics on this. Cause that never ever ends well.
Friends?
-
My opinion of it would probably be different if it weren't for Beef's reactions and reluctance.
That's exactly what I said. Roast Beef = the reader. He's responding to Todd saying that just the way it's intended the reader should.
-
There's nothing wrong with jokes about cunt pills or rape as long as that shit's funny.
Tell me a rape joke that'd make me laugh and I'll believe you.
Even if it wasn't funny to you, it could still fit with this theory, no? There's something wrong with the joke, cause it's not funny.
See, I think you're approaching this on two different wavelengths. You're implying that unfunny rape jokes are always unfunny based on execution -- if it's not funny, it's because it was badly implemented. If I may put words in andalucia's mouth, she's saying that the implementation is probably a moot point, because the general concept of rape jokes is unfunny, at least to her. In other words, she's arguing that some things are intrinsically unfunny, even if the execution sparkles.
(I sort of agree with her, sort of don't. I waffle.)
I would like to point out here that I was trying to comment on the mechanics of this original statement and the response to it. Even if "A" thought the specific joke wasn't funny, "C" could still say "well, there are funny jokes out there about rape/the holocaust/eating babies/whatever, it's just that this particular joke is not funny". And I still stand by my original statement on the cunt pills joke - for me, part of the humor didn't have anything to do with Beef's reaction, even if that makes me a bad person. Todd saying those things struck me as funny.
Also, yes, Andalucia - friends.
-
Yeah, with all due respect, I think it's about time I stepped out of this thread too. Be excellent to each other.
-
I was thinking about "cunt pills" today, and it struck me that the only reason I didn't feel it was offensive is because Onstad wrote it. If one of the idiots here at work had just said it out loud, I would have come unglued.
Note: this is just my opinion.
See, I think the reason it's not directly offensive is because Todd is not being held up as a role model who speaks the truth. "I ain't wearin' no gunny sack. bitches gotta take their cunt pills!" is supposed to be a breathtakingly offensive sentiment expressed is a breathtakingly offensive way. Todd is not a sympathetic character. He's a dick.
Maybe if those bitches took their cunt pills they'd realize this.
-
For comparison: Most here have probably seen/heard Chris Rock's Bring the Pain. In it he has a joke about spousal/date abuse where he says something to the effect of, "I'd never hit a woman, but I'll shake the shit out of her." Chris Rock managed to pull it off in the context of a stand-up show.
Would it be in poor taste at work or a dinner party? Probably. Would it have been downright offensive if constructed by somebody without Rock's talent? Almost certainly. But all things considered is the bit funny as presented? Yes.
-
We got into this great discussion very early in the life of this message board about what makes funny things funny.
It was JUST like this discussion except it was not sparked by a statement that, out of contest of the achewood strip, is offensive to some/many people.
The problem is that language between two people can be a surgical instrument of precise intent and meaning (like, say, to an attorney like the inestimable Mr West) but that, as the audience grows, language becomes a blunter object because so many people interpret it in their own way. This is why humor intended for the masses is likely to offend some people: it turns on language, and although we share a common language, we don't share the most important aspects of how we process information - our values, our knowledge, and our experience. So some guffaw and some walk out of the room. And it's OK to be in either group as long as you acknowledge
1) a person's right to make potentially offensive statements,
2) the listener's right to react in an appropriate way to the statement and 3) the responsibility of the person making the statement to understand both groups of people and, when necessary and/or appropriate, acknowledge a statement that should not have been made and make things right in whatever way is appropriate.
It would be neat if people took responsibility for things they say but they don't.
-
Speaking personally, I think all wrong-thinking people are right.
-
Speaking personally, I think all wrong-thinking people are right.
I'd like to ask August what changes he would make if he were Hitler.
-
August: Don't attack Russia. Seriously. Keep the non-agression treaty. Also, this time, just kick the shit out of France. They really, really deserve it.
-
Gee, I thought I'd just pay some Dutchman to set fire to Lord Snowden.
-
Debater mode.. on!
See, I think the problem here is in case construct. Is August supposed to make decisions as if he was a rational actor on Hitler's position? Or is he supposed to make decisions as if he was actually Hitler, with all the whackjobness that typically entails?
Either way, Russia = bad. Don't play that game, man.
-
Either way, Russia = bad. Don't play that game, man.
Damn straight.
Wow, so I automatically assumed that "Achewood in the Media" would not contain very interesting threads, which goes to show you that assuming makes an ass out of you and some Chinese guy named Ming.
Anyway, my take on the matter is identical, apparently, to everyone elses at this point. If anyone listened to the Jon Stewart interview with Al Franken on Air America lately, they talk about it a lot: everyone has a threshold over which things, for them, are simply not funny. For instance, elderly Jewish people do not like jokes about Hitler, because that is their threshold ("understandably so," Stewart comments).
Personally, I don't know what my threshold is, although it's certainly understandable that it's rape for at least some women. Only recently have I found out how prevalent sexual assault is (friends of mine getting felt up on the subway, some dude grabbing my sister's breast), and that's freaked me out as well.
-
DON'T MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE GRAFFITI ON OVERPASSES TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND!
she will most likely NOT see the humor in saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down."
-
Debater mode.. on!
I can't decide whether to imagine you saying this like Kryten or like a Power Ranger activating part of their mech.
-
DON'T MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE GRAFFITI ON OVERPASSES TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND!
she will most likely NOT see the humor in saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down."
But... I don't want the world. I really do just want your half.
-
Debater mode.. on!
I can't decide whether to imagine you saying this like Kryten or like a Power Ranger activating part of their mech.
I am not entirely sure, either, except that I think I might implode in shame if I had to be, say, the Pink Ranger. Because holy crap.
-
But... I don't want the world. I really do just want your half.
That's graffiti written on a bridge, not an overpass.
-
That's graffiti written on a bridge, not an overpass.
Growing up in the American South, you quickly learn the difference.
-
Really? I grew up in a very southern town, but I'm not sure I know the difference.
-
DON'T MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE GRAFFITI ON OVERPASSES TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND!
she will most likely NOT see the humor in saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down."
But... I don't want the world. I really do just want your half.
the funny thing is, that my reaction of "wtf is she talking about" to your reaction to me saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down" is the exact same reaction ("wtf is she talking about") i had to her reaction to my saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down" which i guess just serves as a concrete example to NOT MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE GRAFFITI ON OVERPASSES TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND!
ever.
incidentally, an overpass is a bridge that has a road on it that goes over another road. so, an overpass is a bridge, but a bridge is not necessarily an overpass. i'm sure there are other definitions, but that's the definition i was going on. definitely.
i think.
dammit, wtf am i talking about?
-
DON'T MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE GRAFFITI ON OVERPASSES TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND!
she will most likely NOT see the humor in saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down."
But... I don't want the world. I really do just want your half.
the funny thing is, that my reaction of "wtf is she talking about" to your reaction to me saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down" is the exact same reaction ("wtf is she talking about") i had to her reaction to my saying "oh, so they give _great_ head, i'll have to jot that number down" which i guess just serves as a concrete example to NOT MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE GRAFFITI ON OVERPASSES TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND!
It took me three read-throughs to have any idea what you actually meant to say. I lose at life.
(Also, I accuse my parents of not adequately teaching me the difference between bridges and overpasses.)
-
It's definitely time for this week's Most Wandering Thread award.
I'm sure a bridge has to have water underneath it.
-
And by the way do not bother to show me the following definition from the dictionary, as I do not care.
1. A structure spanning and providing passage over a gap or barrier, such as a river or roadway.
-
Update:
Someone wrote a reply in this weeks edition, I'll post it as soon as I get the time to type it.
-
So, all overpasses are bridges, but not all bridges are overpasses.
Perhaps a Venn diagram would be helpful.
-
It took me three read-throughs to have any idea what you actually meant to say. I lose at life.
(Also, I accuse my parents of not adequately teaching me the difference between bridges and overpasses.)
i've borrowed a seeing eye dog, and i still have no idea what you wanted me to think
But... I don't want the world. I really do just want your half.
meant.
i've lost at many things, including life, but don't feel bad, you get more than one try.
(i've accused my parents of many things, but the overpass/bridge differential was just something i picked up on my own. what is it that you think they are?)
-
i've borrowed a seeing eye dog, and i still have no idea what you wanted me to think
But... I don't want the world. I really do just want your half.
meant.
*ahem*
It's an inside joke, man. It's a They Might Be Giants lyric, from the song "Ana Ng":
When I was driving once / I saw this painted on a bridge: / "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
If you're not familiar with TMBG, you logically wouldn't get it.
-
If you're not familiar with TMBG, you logically wouldn't get it.
are you accusing me of logic? you might want to have a little more evidence before you bring up such an outrageous charge! *heh*
suffice to say, i own a TMBG cd. i don't know what it's called, but it has that one song that everyone knew by them and soon forgot. it's rather dusty.
and wombat, do you really think the thread has wandered that far?
i'd say we're doing, or the very least i am, a very good job of showing how humor is subjective.
now, if you'll excuse me, i have to see a man who can't see about a dog.
-
suffice to say, i own a TMBG cd. i don't know what it's called, but it has that one song that everyone knew by them and soon forgot. it's rather dusty.
You know, that probably is Ana Ng.
-
You know, that probably is Ana Ng.
Over here it would be Birdhouse...
It never made it over here without the complete wierdness to back it up.
-
and wombat, do you really think the thread has wandered that far?
i'd say we're doing, or the very least i am, a very good job of showing how humor is subjective.
The award was presented specifically for the discussion of the definition of 'bridge' and 'overpass'. Wouldn't want to be unclear about this, for anyone who might be working towards future accolades in this area.
-
suffice to say, i own a TMBG cd. i don't know what it's called, but it has that one song that everyone knew by them and soon forgot. it's rather dusty.
You know, that probably is Ana Ng.
Nope, it would be something from Flood. One of the songs that were made into Tiny Toons videos (Istanbul and Particle Man).
So, is anybody else a little freaked out by the Seussian triple-overpass on the westside of the Bawlmer beltway?
-
All I have to say is that a dusty copy of Flood is a very sad thing. Perhaps you should release the disk, the better to fly free and find its rightful owner.
(Leaving it on top of a garbage can not recommended.)
-
Funny Woman's Studies Professor moment:
I took several Literature courses taught by the head of Woman's Studies at my university. Thankfully she was not at all humourless and even had some comic books on the required reading list. I remember one day in class, she turned to me and noticed I looked very tired. I explained that I was finding that having just moved out on my own dealing with all the housework, shopping, cleaning and being a full-time student and part-time employee was wearing me out. Without batting an eye she said "Sounds like you need a wife!"
I have to admit that now whenever any of my female friends are over- worked I now use the line on them.
-
All I have to say is that a dusty copy of Flood is a very sad thing. Perhaps you should release the disk, the better to fly free and find its rightful owner.
(Leaving it on top of a garbage can not recommended.)
the used cd shop wouldn't give me any credit...
and to get back to the topic at hand:
who else uses the word "trellis" incorrectly?
-
All I have to say is that a dusty copy of Flood is a very sad thing. Perhaps you should release the disk, the better to fly free and find its rightful owner.
(Leaving it on top of a garbage can not recommended.)
I've got that same CD! Covered with dust!
Also, I've heard "I just want your half" and not from a TMBG CD.
-
Debater mode.. on!
See, I think the problem here is in case construct. Is August supposed to make decisions as if he was a rational actor on Hitler's position? Or is he supposed to make decisions as if he was actually Hitler, with all the whackjobness that typically entails?
Either way, Russia = bad. Don't play that game, man.
ok, so i looked at page 1 of this, then page 4 but there was only 1 post there, so i look at page 3 and see this, OH MY F GOD.
i'm going to leave the rest of the thread unread so i can imagine what lead to this discussion.