The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: CortJstr on April 22, 2004, 11:59:13 pm

Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: CortJstr on April 22, 2004, 11:59:13 pm
Oh my Lord the Bleat (http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/04/0404/042204.html) is making sense again! I've had that exact discussion about there being no good male characters on TV. Usually after NOW releases their annual "tv grades" about how shitty female roles are.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 23, 2004, 12:16:18 am
It's true, but it's been true for a long time, in my opinion. Actually, Raymonds wife is kind of a meanspirited, nasty, browbeating shrew to go with his idiotic oagiraffeness.

The only decent male archetypes being presented now are the Brawny Paper Towel Guys. That shit is funny!
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2004, 12:49:42 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's true, but it's been true for a long time, in my opinion. Actually, Raymonds wife is kind of a meanspirited, nasty, browbeating shrew to go with his idiotic oagiraffeness.

The only decent male archetypes being presented now are the Brawny Paper Towel Guys. That shit is funny!

Raymond is the perfect example. The show is 50% Ray messing up some wacky stunt and 50% him getting turned down for sex. I don't see the humor.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: andalucia on April 23, 2004, 01:45:19 am
Ye gods, does this mean Lileks is worth visiting again?  It's been so long...
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2004, 01:50:54 am
Today's Bleat was a pretty rare exception.  I don't know why I continue to read Lileks day after day after day, because he invariably annoys me with his knee-jerk neo-con outlook.  It's about 85% politics lately, and when he does get around to discussing pop culture, he finds some way to introduce a political twist and condemn some libruls.

It's kind of like picking at a scab, I guess.  It hurts and I know I shouldn't do it, but I still do.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2004, 02:06:21 am
It's usually 2 paragraphs of readability then a descent into boredom. Of course then I go read Eric S. (http://www.411mania.com/black/columns/index.php?blackcodeid=20) who does the same thing but 180 degrees out of sync.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: V-Adore on April 23, 2004, 02:16:14 am
See, I think this may go to show that both genders now produce equally worthless, unpleasant TV characters. But that's just me.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: arkabee on April 23, 2004, 05:06:42 am
i think it means i don't spend enough time "surfing" because i'd never seen those sites before.

honestly, i used to be able to get all the news i needed to know from dennis miller on weekend update.

sigh.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2004, 01:11:42 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
See, I think this may go to show that both genders now produce equally worthless, unpleasant TV characters. But that's just me.

Actually that was my point as well. People are always going on about how there are so few good female roles on TV. Well that's true but there are just as few male roles on TV. But the NOW grades conveniently ignore this and pretend that men are portrayed as perfect.

They also said Mimi (on Drew Carey) was one of the worst because they mock her weight. I always thought that was a good character (except for her being a nympho) because she didn't take any shit and always managed to win in the long run.
Title: Lame guys on TV?
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2004, 01:29:29 pm
C'mon people let's stay on topic, here!

Where are all the Ironsides jokes?  The Joe Theiseman stories?  Something about Malcolm's best friend on Malcolm in the Middle?  Maybe stretching it a little with a Michael J. Fox quip?

Hello!?
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: V-Adore on April 23, 2004, 02:07:42 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
They also said Mimi (on Drew Carey) was one of the worst because they mock her weight. I always thought that was a good character (except for her being a nympho) because she didn't take any shit and always managed to win in the long run.

Well, I can see their argument... but Drew Carey, in my opinion, is an example of a show in which the entire cast is treated odiously to the point of distraction. I mean, ridiculously so. In some regards, Mimi and the transvestite brother are the only ones who get off at all, simply because their jokes are broad enough not to need the show's otherwise scab-picking detail in character corruption.

(... yeah, I don't like Drew Carey. Does it show?)
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: arkabee on April 23, 2004, 04:23:43 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

(... yeah, I don't like Drew Carey. Does it show?)


i thought you meant all that "in a good way".
Title: Good Shows on TV
Post by: Gimpson on April 23, 2004, 05:11:04 pm
So what shows are worth watching these days?  I recently got a DVR through my cable company, and as of last night had completely emptied what I had recorded.  Now I'm mainly recording reruns (Kids In The Hall, NewsRadio, Simpsons), Sopranos, The Daily Show, and Adult Swim.  

I missed the first couple seasons of Scrubs before I noticed that there actually was a funny show on NBC...  Is there anything else around these days that's worth watching?
Title: Re: Good Shows on TV
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2004, 05:33:28 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
So what shows are worth watching these days?  I recently got a DVR through my cable company, and as of last night had completely emptied what I had recorded.  Now I'm mainly recording reruns (Kids In The Hall, NewsRadio, Simpsons), Sopranos, The Daily Show, and Adult Swim.  

I missed the first couple seasons of Scrubs before I noticed that there actually was a funny show on NBC...  Is there anything else around these days that's worth watching?

Uh, all the stuff you just listed?

I've also got Season Passes for Good Eats, Farscape, Arrested Development, Alias, Red Dwarf, Red Green, Chapelle's Show, MXC, Penn & Teller's Bullshit (on Showtime), Junkyard Wars, and Monster House.

If FX is still showing reruns of Lucky that's definetly worth checking out. And Iron Chef American is this weekend.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: ferocious j on April 23, 2004, 11:19:28 pm
Two things

1) I'm glad I'm not the only one who applies the term "shrew" to Raymond's wife, 'cause damn.  (I watched this show back when it used to be between Simpsons reruns)

2) Mythbusters should be added to the list of shows for DVR-ing.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: CortJstr on April 24, 2004, 02:10:38 am
Agreed. Especially if you're a fan of Straight Dope or Snopes.
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2004, 07:37:04 am
Raymond's Wife (Deborah) may be a shrew, but c'mon, look at what she has to put up with.  Between Ray's stupidity and whining and his Mother's pettiness and manipulative behaviour, it's a wonder she hasn't snapped totally, purchased a gun and capped the whole famdamily.  I enjoyed that show for a while, Peter Boyle is great, but it's gotten stale.

~Paul
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: Gimpson on April 24, 2004, 12:51:40 pm
I only watched Raymond a couple of times with my ex-gf, and the only thing that stuck with me about the show was the completely overblown laugh track.  Was it just me or is the laugh track for that show more over-the-top than normal for a sitcom?
Title: lame guys on TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 24, 2004, 06:14:24 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Raymond's Wife (Deborah) may be a shrew, but c'mon, look at what she has to put up with.  Between Ray's stupidity and whining and his Mother's pettiness and manipulative behaviour, it's a wonder she hasn't snapped totally, purchased a gun and capped the whole famdamily.  I enjoyed that show for a while, Peter Boyle is great, but it's gotten stale.

~Paul


Peter Boyle is actually the only reason I would watch this show and all the really funny stuff I actually remember is from Peter Boyle...His special 'Thanksgiving #####' is one and the episode where he terrorizes the adult sons was extremely funny....

Everyone Loves Raymond is possibly the most Ironic sitcom name ever.