The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2004, 05:45:19 am

Title: Walking erect
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2004, 05:45:19 am
I almost forgot this one from a few weeks ago.  This shot was taken during the busiest time of day, ON PAYDAY naturally, in the parking lot of my bank.  The asshole in the Saturn is parked across two spaces.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8426-E500.jpg)

Check out the cool bumper sticker.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8426-ES500.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Walking erect
Post by: slink on April 23, 2004, 10:50:01 am
I want to see a picture of his epic brow!
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on April 23, 2004, 11:26:08 am
Wow.  Sort of reminds me of the creation science DVD a guy in my philosophy class loaned to my friend, who's the epitome of secularism and very scientifically informed.  This video came to all sorts of conclusions in an attempt to scientifically justify the Bible: apparently in olden times (when people walked with dinosaurs) the sky was pink and everything was gigantic.  We looked into it a little, and the guy who made it (http://www.ianjuby.org/) turned out to be a shop teacher at the Catholic high school.

And, according to his website, a certified member of Mensa.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on April 23, 2004, 11:39:22 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
apparently in olden times (when people walked with dinosaurs) the sky was pink and everything was gigantic.

There is a part of me which would love to see the logic leading up to this idea. Another part of me would sob piteously, but hell, what's a few tears for enlightenment?
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2004, 01:06:59 pm
This is why I continue to press for legislation making it legal, nay required, to key cars parked across more than one space. Being kind of close to line would be okay and you'd get a free pass if it had snowed recently but otherwise it's scratchy time! Especially if you do it a Humvee or Mercedes way at the far end of the parking lot.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: arkabee on April 23, 2004, 01:35:58 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
This is why I continue to press for legislation making it legal, nay required, to key cars parked across more than one space.


hmmmm...  keying cars, i'm not so sure i can agree.

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Being kind of close to line would be okay and you'd get a free pass if it had snowed recently but otherwise it's scratchy time!


oh, wait, i see.  so that ASSHOLE who left a mark on my passeneger door with his door because he was close to the line is ok and get's a free pass, but


Quote from: "CortJstr"

Especially if you do it a Humvee or Mercedes way at the far end of the parking lot.


if i park way the hell in the middle of nowhere so some asshole doesn't fcsk my car up with their door, then you get to key it.

great.

on the FLIP SIDE, if we lined them ALL UP AGAINST THE WALL, we could SHOOT THEM and it would be OK.

i think rather than keying up the CARS which haven't done anything, we should key the DRIVERS.

"hey mitch, that's a pretty bad scar you have there."

"yes brian, it's a daily reminder for me, that parking lots are merely a physical representation of my interaction with society."

but honestly, i'd much rather shoot them.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: slink on April 23, 2004, 02:05:42 pm
I just want to shoot the dumb bitch who drove into the back of my car about 3 hours ago.
It was kind of interesting watching in my mirror as her face turned to complete panic as she realised that yes, everyone in front of her was stationary. Which also meant she only got it down to about 25mph before crunch.

Fortunately, I drive a car that weighs so much that I didn't even nearly go into the car in front, and I have a towbar, so her radiator was worse than the scratch on the plastic covering of the towbar!

I always recommend driving something that will fair better than anything else on the road.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on April 23, 2004, 02:10:10 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

oh, wait, i see.  so that ASSHOLE who left a mark on my passeneger door with his door because he was close to the line is ok and get's a free pass, but

See, I've done this a time or two, just by accident. Given that many cars are now wider than many parking spaces, even in a compact sedan I've been in situations where door-opening has to be very... very... careful, and even then some of the time you're going to dent.

So, yeah, should you key me?
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2004, 02:23:15 pm
Anytime anyone damages your ride, even inadvertently, you should wait for them to come back and smash their head into the windshield until it breaks into little bits of glass that cut their face up.

That or try to relax about it, since there is not a whole lot a person can do about it, usually.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jay-ell on April 23, 2004, 03:33:02 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
"yes brian, it's a daily reminder for me, that parking lots are merely a physical representation of my interaction with society."


Laugh.  Out.  Loud.  

Seriously, this is how I view it.  Double-parkers either aren't paying attention or they believe that they don't have to follow the same rules as everybody else.  Either way, they deserve pain.  Nothing anybody can do on the road irritates me as much as double-parking.  Especially when I was working at the University, where not only did we have to pay to park at work, but they oversold employee-only parking spaces, so if you didn't get there before 8 AM you had to compete with the students for parking.  

I understand overselling parking spaces for students.  Most of them come to campus for a few hours at a time or only a few days a week.  But why, in the name of tarnation, would you oversell parking spaces for a group of people who are expected to be there every day, all day, year round?

There was this one guy who used to double-park his Miata all the time, so I left a nasty note on his windshield saying if he wanted to take two spaces, he should pay for two parking permits and not use the space I paid for.  

Bastard.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: arkabee on April 23, 2004, 04:41:07 pm
well, while i agree that parking, door dings, and a universe infested with idiots of broader scope than a termite infestation in a universe made entirely out of wood are not really good reasons to get upset about,

i apparently have anger management issues, and as such inevitably get "all het up about" stuff.

however, i do feel that "little things" do have a direct correlation to "big things".  and while i've never Actually Met a Real Life Evil Dictator, i'd assume that they would be the type to not even acknowledge my existence if i hold the door open for them.

the decline of civility, to me, equals the decline of society.  the decline of society means a higher chance of grevious bodily harm happening to me and mine.

therefor, mean people suck.

however, back to the bumper sticker.

it is teh suxors.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2004, 04:44:46 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
if i park way the hell in the middle of nowhere so some asshole doesn't fcsk my car up with their door, then you get to key it.

great.

That's the whole point. I see these assholes all the time at the movies. They park their new Escalade diagonally across two spaces way at the other end of the lot so they won't get a scratch. Then an hour later I get the the theatre and there aren't any spaces left because there's 5 of these dicks eating up two spaces each.

So if they do this to protect their cars then the perfect deterrent is mandatory damage to the car.

I only say close to the line is okay because that can be too much of a judgment call. But if part of the parked car is over the white line then it's time for some retribution.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jough on April 23, 2004, 06:32:58 pm
I am one of those people who believe "the rules" (i.e. someone else's rules, to which I've never agreed or was even asked for consent) don't apply to me.  Why should they?

In any case, there are certain things that one should do while living among other humans.  Most people do not know how to act in society.

Civility died at the turn of the last century.  This century we'll see the death of service and committment.

Eventually the world will be a Thunderdome-esque free-for-all where we all enter, but only one man leaves.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on April 23, 2004, 06:36:49 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
a universe infested with idiots of broader scope than a termite infestation in a universe made entirely out of wood

I just thought I might note that this analogy made my goddamn day.  I will steal and use it, possibly as a substitute for "I hate (x) like cavemen fear fire," which I've been overusing lately.

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Controlled evolution is the way to go. What we need are standards to breed (and raise) better people, not this willy-nilly shit we have going on. Modern social constructs pamper mud-heads rather than killing them off before they wade into the gene-pool, as was the case in the not to recent past.

This (http://www.eugenicsarchive.org/) wouldn't (http://www.dur.ac.uk/martin.ward/gkc/books/Eugenics.html) work, (http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45/026.html) even were it moral, which it isn't.

So there.

Anyway, bumper sticker = dumb.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: arkabee on April 23, 2004, 07:06:15 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"

I absolutely agree with this.

However, I also think it's too late to change most people once they're old and set in their ways.  A little impromtu 're-education' session doesn't usually get past their defensive posturing of 'what's your problem, prick?'


i had "when are these fsckers finally going to die" in my head last evening.

it may be the only way is to outlast them.

but, reeducation must be the answer, then, because otherwise THEY win by educating their youth, and since there's more of them than me, i must do my best to impose my worldview on them, in an effort to at the very least make them aware of what a worldview is.

arg.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: arkabee on April 23, 2004, 07:08:16 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"

To tie this in to the bumper sticker, what a maroon.  Controlled evolution is the way to go.  What we need are standards to breed (and raise) better people, not this willy-nilly shit we have going on.  Modern social constructs pamper mud-heads rather than killing them off before they wade into the gene-pool, as was the case in the not to recent past.


i'm sorry, i'm not familiar with "mud-head", can you explain what that means, please?
Title: Walking erect
Post by: side_show on April 23, 2004, 07:12:04 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I just want to shoot the dumb bitch who drove into the back of my car about 3 hours ago.
It was kind of interesting watching in my mirror as her face turned to complete panic as she realised that yes, everyone in front of her was stationary. Which also meant she only got it down to about 25mph before crunch.

Fortunately, I drive a car that weighs so much that I didn't even nearly go into the car in front, and I have a towbar, so her radiator was worse than the scratch on the plastic covering of the towbar!

I always recommend driving something that will fair better than anything else on the road.


That's what  you get for driving on the wrong side of the road.  Har, har.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: arkabee on April 23, 2004, 07:15:39 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I am one of those people who believe "the rules" (i.e. someone else's rules, to which I've never agreed or was even asked for consent) don't apply to me.  Why should they?


because you implicitly agree to Their rules by playing in Their game?  and by not playing by Their Rules, they label you Psychopath and lock you up until the medication kicks in.

--

i shouldan't not have replied to them seperately, oops, dumb of me to read onesies rather than all of them.

--

v-adore- in my 8th grade social studies class (last year? somedays it feels that way...) i was proclaimed "king of analogies" due to something involving george washington, currency, and the carrot trade 'twixt new hampshire and massachusetts.  at the time i thought it was nifty, in hindsight i realize how sad it all was:

"And 'you are obtuse like non-eucledian geometry' wins Simile of the Week! Congratulations! Please see the Secretary for your Free Pass to hole 7 at Mr. Richard's Putt Putt Golf & Arcade on the way out."
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 23, 2004, 10:48:43 pm
I equate double parking an escalade purposely an uncivil act; therefore, reacting with an equal measure of uncivility adds balance to the universe. Key them, dent them, or my personal non-permanent-damage favorite: Get two or three bumper stickers and apply them to the outside of the windshield directly in front of the driver. Rub them down good.

Stick FLYPAPER to the Drivers Side and Passenger side doorhandles. In the few short hours of the movie there should be a yummy collection of bugs there.

Shove a ball of ducttape as far up the tailpipe as you can get.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on April 23, 2004, 11:10:55 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Stick FLYPAPER to the Drivers Side and Passenger side doorhandles. In the few short hours of the movie there should be a yummy collection of bugs there.


This, I very much like, having had an unsubstantiated childhood fear of flypaper.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on April 24, 2004, 12:58:18 am
What's unsubstantiated about it?  Flypaper is scary.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on April 24, 2004, 02:18:53 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I equate double parking an escalade purposely an uncivil act; therefore, reacting with an equal measure of uncivility adds balance to the universe. Key them, dent them, or my personal non-permanent-damage favorite: Get two or three bumper stickers and apply them to the outside of the windshield directly in front of the driver. Rub them down good.

Stick FLYPAPER to the Drivers Side and Passenger side doorhandles. In the few short hours of the movie there should be a yummy collection of bugs there.

Shove a ball of ducttape as far up the tailpipe as you can get.

Wow.

Just wow.

You need to write the sequal to Every Trick in the Book (http://www.amazingj.com/store.html)
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 24, 2004, 02:33:23 am
It's funny you said that; before the Norm (Mc)Donald(son) movie Dirty Work came out, I was planning to start a 'revenge for hire' business. I still 'consult' on issues of getting even in the most annoying and generally, mostly legal and harmless ways possible.

Low rates! E-mail for details!


***Edited to indicate that despite a long time passing since I burned a fat one, I still make really stupid mistakes. Frequently.***
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on April 24, 2004, 02:30:56 pm
Slice a cigar lengthwise and shove it in the gas tank. It will clog the fuel lines.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 25, 2004, 07:39:17 pm
Does anyone know if Silica Gel powder or crystals will absorb gas? They take up, what, 20 times there volume with fluid? That would be fun in the gas tank as well.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: sjlimmer on April 25, 2004, 11:31:51 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Does anyone know if Silica Gel powder or crystals will absorb gas? They take up, what, 20 times there volume with fluid? That would be fun in the gas tank as well.


This isn't my area of expertise here, so take with a grain of salt.  I could be talking out my ass.


Short answer, probably not, or not well enough for what you have in mind.  At least not the kind you get free in your sneakers.  Given that materials similar to silica gel are used as catalysts in the cracking of crude oil to make gasoline, I'm doubting that it would really hold a lot of gas.  Plus, the silica gel has a surface that loves water, wich probably doesn't want to interact with gasoline.

I think.

</science dork>

You'd think my Materials Science degree would be good for something....
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 26, 2004, 07:14:08 am
Maybe not silica gel, maybe, but how about those crystals they sell to put flowers in? I guess they are hydrophilic and therefore maybe Gasophobic but that would be a neat way to stop a car cold.

Probably an expensive way, too.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jay-ell on April 26, 2004, 03:35:56 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
You'd think my Materials Science degree would be good for something....


You have an MSE degree?  

I used to work for one of the editors of Materials Science and Engineering A (http://authors.elsevier.com/JournalDetail.html?PubID=504098&Precis=DESC).  I don't actually know anything about Materials Science, but it's kind of neat to know somebody who does besides my old boss.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: sjlimmer on April 26, 2004, 05:02:35 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
You'd think my Materials Science degree would be good for something....


You have an MSE degree?  

I used to work for one of the editors of Materials Science and Engineering A (http://authors.elsevier.com/JournalDetail.html?PubID=504098&Precis=DESC).  I don't actually know anything about Materials Science, but it's kind of neat to know somebody who does besides my old boss.


One down and,  fingers crossed, another in about 7 weeks.

You're at NC State, right?  They're quite a good school for MSE.  Huh.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jay-ell on April 26, 2004, 05:07:33 pm
I was at NC State at the time, yes.  From what I hear, the program was excellent -- but again, I wouldn't really know.  I only know that one of my then-bosses was one of the ten most-published Materials Scientists at the time (and probably still is).  

He was also a jerk.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on April 28, 2004, 02:38:12 am
Can't belief that my anal-ness missed this, but "Dirty Work" starred Norm MacDonald. (Bob Saget directed that).
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2004, 03:13:40 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
(Bob Saget directed that).


I've always detested Bob Saget (along with everything else associated with Full House).  However, I must give credit where it is due.

Bob Saget has the single funniest moment in the movie "Half Baked".
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2004, 03:15:14 am
Did you ever suck <feet> for pot?!
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Bozack on April 28, 2004, 03:27:55 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Did you ever suck <feet> for pot?!

Ha, an old boss of mine was actually in Narcotics Anonymous for pot. Because of that, every time he was leaving work, the other managers and I would wait until he was just out of earshot, and ask eachother...well....you get it.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on April 28, 2004, 10:51:50 am
Not to make light of someone else's addiction, but I really didn't even know they let potheads into Narcotics Anonymous.
Also, when I type that I always feel like I am using the wrong word, as it is not the narcotics themselves that have the problem, cf the lack of Alcohol Anonymous.  

Yeah, then there was the part where grammar's apparently a bigger issue to me than drug addiction.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 28, 2004, 06:45:17 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Not to make light of someone else's addiction, but I really didn't even know they let potheads into Narcotics Anonymous.
Also, when I type that I always feel like I am using the wrong word, as it is not the narcotics themselves that have the problem, cf the lack of Alcohol Anonymous.  

Yeah, then there was the part where grammar's apparently a bigger issue to me than drug addiction.


Maybe they don't let them walk in...but as part of a work-related intervention, I bet they do. Poor bastard.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2004, 07:34:16 pm
Thank you all, because I've just figured out career plan C (or D or E or whatever...) if I don't get another zoo job and all the other weird ideas don't work out:  I am going to put my degree to work again and start Prescriptive Grammarians Anonymous.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2004, 08:58:23 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Thank you all, because I've just figured out career plan C (or D or E or whatever...) if I don't get another zoo job and all the other weird ideas don't work out:  I am going to put my degree to work again and start Prescriptive Grammarians Anonymous.

It worked for Bill Walsh (http://www.theslot.com).
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2004, 09:34:31 pm
Whoa, that Bill Walsh guy is definitely going to need to be the first one to sign up for my meetings and learn to relax.  Even though you do have to love a guy who'd title a book "The Elephants of Style."

Spelling and punctuation correction will still be allowed, but only once you have achieved advanced levels of acceptance of giving up grammar nitpicking.  There will be doughnuts.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2004, 10:11:19 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Even though you do have to love a guy who'd title a book "The Elephants of Style."

And Lapsing Into a Comma.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on April 28, 2004, 11:06:10 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
advanced levels of acceptance of giving up grammar nitpicking.


So, what, we're not allowed to call people on, say, not using the subjunctive voice in casual speech?
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2004, 11:27:00 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

So, what, we're not allowed to call people on, say, not using the subjunctive voice in casual speech?


Not in English you're not.  Or you don't get any doughnuts.  And some of them are jelly doughnuts.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2004, 11:28:49 pm
I've been meaning to mention this for sometime.  My grammar is atrocious and I’m always misspelling words, but I’ve never been called on it.  Why is that?  Don't you care enough to correct me when I err?

~Paul
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 28, 2004, 11:50:41 pm
Waaaiiiiiit a minute....

so "I'm a Friend of Bill W" (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%22I%27m+a+friend+of+Bill+W%22) is about GRAMMAR??

I'm so confused.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jay-ell on April 29, 2004, 01:21:28 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I've been meaning to mention this for some time.  My grammar is atrocious, and I’m always misspelling words/, but I’ve never been called on it.  Why is that?  Don't you care enough to correct me when I err?

~Paul


There.  I corrected all the mistakes I could find.  

Do you feel loved?  

Actually, I think it's because you generally follow the rules, so we're willing to let a couple of things slide here and there.  Compared to a lot of people on this here InterWeb, your grammar and spelling fantastic.  

Also, we make special allowances for Texans.  ;)
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2004, 05:25:52 pm
Alcoholics Anonymous and grammar covered in so brief a span? Then it's time for a question I've been meaning to pose for some time:

Why do they call people workaholics? They aren't addicted to workahol. I know workic is a truly repugnant construction, but let's be consistent for once. (And really, I suppose the middle ground would at least be "workoholic".)
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2004, 06:00:48 pm
It's a common thing in the development of language for words to get broken up incorrectly and reassembled like this.  But it's been long enough since I answered this sort of question for a living that I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

I do think we're way overdue for a Most Wandering Thread award, though.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2004, 06:03:48 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I do think we're way overdue for a Most Wandering Thread award, though.

Oh yeah? Well, how about this? I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on April 30, 2004, 06:10:53 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Why do they call people workaholics? They aren't addicted to workahol. I know workic is a truly repugnant construction, but let's be consistent for once. (And really, I suppose the middle ground would at least be "workoholic".)

I have been tempted, more than once, to ask my self-avowed "biblioholic" friends if they can set me up with some bibliohol, because that must be some quality shit.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: slink on April 30, 2004, 07:07:09 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I have been tempted, more than once, to ask my self-avowed "biblioholic" friends if they can set me up with some bibliohol, because that must be some quality shit.


It really does. I once tried to get me some of that but I couldn't climb through all the... *sigh*
I shan't start...
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2004, 09:44:41 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Thank you - being right now at a point where I am feeling uncertain whether I have ever accomplished anything in my life, it is encouraging to know that at least I have caused people from coast to coast to discuss rodents that they would not otherwise have thought of.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2004, 10:13:31 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Thank you - being right now at a point where I am feeling uncertain whether I have ever accomplished anything in my life, it is encouraging to know that at least I have caused people from coast to coast to discuss rodents that they would not otherwise have thought of.

She's disturbed by their teeth.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2004, 10:39:38 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
She's disturbed by their teeth.


Which is entirely understandable.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2004, 05:48:33 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I do think we're way overdue for a Most Wandering Thread award, though.


Just yesterday I saw a car that wasn't parked across two spaces, just so terribly parked that it rendered the adjacent space unusable.  Two women were piling out as I walked by.  "That's some mighty fine parking" I quipped.  This was greeted by confused looks as if they were unaware of their bad parking or possibly didn't recognize the irony.  I just stood there shaking my head marveling at the incompetence on display as they slinked away toward the store.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera.  Anyway the point of this story is I happened to notice the bumper sticker on the vehicle.  It was one of those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers, but it was the bizarre alternate version where Calvin isn't pissing on anything actually, but is kneeling and praying before a cross.  I think that pretty much sums this whole thread up right there because I was always confused by this particular bumper sticker. (http://www.planeticthus.com/christian_gifts/SS9518.asp) The message it sends to me is, this kid, Calvin, who doesn't have a shread of respect for anything whatsoever, I mean literally pissing on whatever he doesn't like, is apparently a Christian.

~Paul
Title: Walking erect
Post by: arkabee on May 01, 2004, 01:09:43 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers


when/why/how/what/who did those stickers come from, anyways?  i never remember calvin being such a dick in the comic.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2004, 03:59:35 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Oh yeah? Well, how about this? I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Wait a minute - I didn't ask the most important question - WHY were there naked mole rats on a billboard?
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on May 01, 2004, 04:16:30 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Oh yeah? Well, how about this? I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Wait a minute - I didn't ask the most important question - WHY were there naked mole rats on a billboard?

We drove by it again last night after going and seeing this crazy West African drummer - I meant to write it down but I didn't. It has something to do with whether or not they wished they were wearing ##### or something - I think it's an ad for the zoo.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on May 01, 2004, 05:11:03 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers


when/why/how/what/who did those stickers come from, anyways?  i never remember calvin being such a dick in the comic.

My first impulse would be "because of a problem."
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on May 01, 2004, 08:11:41 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
It was one of those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers, but it was the bizarre alternate version where Calvin isn't pissing on anything actually, but is kneeling and praying before a cross.


Dear Christ.  I had been aware of the existence of that particular object.  I am not actually sure which is further from the Bill Watterson ethos, but either way I feel terribly sorry for the man and respect him very much for his persistant non-selling-out.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jough on May 01, 2004, 08:34:27 pm
Yeah, if you've ever seen Calvin & Hobbes merchandise, it was bootleg.  Watterson doesn't allow his characters to be used to sell cheap crap.

Unlike Onstad, who of course will put his doodles on anything to make a buck.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2004, 05:24:24 am
Wombat: The full text of the billboard is "Do naked mole rats have nightmares about wearing #####?" and it's for the zoo.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AugustWest on May 02, 2004, 05:25:47 am
Whenever I read the title to this thread I want to call the bowling alley and ask them if they have 16 pound balls.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AugustWest on May 02, 2004, 05:28:16 am
Quote from: "jough"

Unlike Onstad, who of course will put his doodles on anything to make a buck.


Which is vastly more dishonorable than designing websites, flipping burgers or providing legal advice to a government agency to make a buck.

To say nothing of appearing on a damn gameshow!
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jough on May 02, 2004, 07:01:03 am
True, but I never claimed that I wasn't a total man-whore.

Of course, neither has 'stad.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on May 02, 2004, 04:29:58 pm
Manwhorishness for all -- in our brand new 21st-century economy! Huzzah!
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 03, 2004, 02:46:34 pm
"'Peeing Calvin' Decals Now Recognized As Vital Channel Of National Discourse"

Holy shit, there's The Onion Premium now?  Paid access to the archives?  Boo to that.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2004, 07:42:49 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
"'Peeing Calvin' Decals Now Recognized As Vital Channel Of National Discourse"

Holy shit, there's The Onion Premium now?  Paid access to the archives?  Boo to that.


I hate when folks start charging for shit that I'm used to getting for free. Even though I'm just as guilty as anyone else of slamming people who complain about this, free shit should remain free, and it should be delivered in a timely manner. And it should be cutting-edge funny, too.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2004, 09:01:26 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
"'Peeing Calvin' Decals Now Recognized As Vital Channel Of National Discourse"

Holy shit, there's The Onion Premium now?  Paid access to the archives?  Boo to that.


I hate when folks start charging for shit that I'm used to getting for free. Even though I'm just as guilty as anyone else of slamming people who complain about this, free shit should remain free, and it should be delivered in a timely manner. And it should be cutting-edge funny, too.

The free section remains unchanged. The paid section has no ads and has extra non-newspaper content. Like Smoove B.'s blog and shit.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 03, 2004, 09:04:21 pm
I'm pretty sure the "Calvin Praying" sticker was an attempt to fight back at the "Calvin Peeing on Everything" trend.  Like the "Truth" giraffe eating the "Darwin" giraffe.  I love how American's now attack eachother's opinions on the backs of our vehicles.

While Calvin isn't really a prime candidate for being co-opted by the religious of America, he is named after a religious leader, and the idea of the little boy praying to the man God is a bit more fitting than the image of him urinating on the Ford logo.  I mean, Ford may not be the best cars in the world, but pee is still for toilets, bushes, and fresh snow.

Personally, I don't think the end will come until we see a sticker depicting Calvin peeing on Hobbes.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2004, 09:19:59 pm
Whenever I see one of those stickers, I like to assume that the operator of the vehicle has a urine fetish. And then I like to ask the operator about said fetish.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2004, 11:34:14 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I'm pretty sure the "Calvin Praying" sticker was an attempt to fight back at the "Calvin Peeing on Everything" trend.  Like the "Truth" giraffe eating the "Darwin" giraffe.  I love how American's now attack eachother's opinions on the backs of our vehicles.

I demand they mass market "My God Can Beat Up Your god" bumper stickers. I also found that was quite effect to yell at the people praying outside the March last week.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pmcd9 on May 04, 2004, 02:28:11 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I'm pretty sure the "Calvin Praying" sticker was an attempt to fight back at the "Calvin Peeing on Everything" trend.  Like the "Truth" giraffe eating the "Darwin" giraffe.

Yeah, i'm sure that the Calvin praying sticker is meant as a refutation of the crassness of the pissing on variety.  It's like pretty much every other aspect of modern religious pop culture, which is basically a parody of secular pop culture.  Whatever you care to name; there is almost certainly a smarmy Christian alternative.  I think it's simply an attempt to recast the Calvin image so Christians can get in on the craze, but I think it sends a strange message.  Of course it's entirely possible i'm the only one that sees it this way.

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I love how American's now attack each other’s opinions on the backs of our vehicles.

I actually started taking pictures of these bumper stickers once upon a time with the intention of making a photo study which I was gonna entitle "America's Holy War."

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Personally, I don't think the end will come until we see a sticker depicting Calvin peeing on Hobbes.

Before the Calvin praying sticker came into play I was thinking the logical religious equivalent would depict Jesus pissing on sin.

~Paul
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on May 04, 2004, 03:31:23 am
The idea of Calvin-pissing bumper stickers being adapted to the Protestant thinker is glorious. I'm really tempted to go make one right now.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AugustWest on May 04, 2004, 03:50:09 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"


 Of course it's entirely possible i'm the only one that sees it this way.
~Paul


Not hardly.  Rave on, brother!
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on May 04, 2004, 11:26:18 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The idea of Calvin-pissing bumper stickers being adapted to the Protestant thinker is glorious. I'm really tempted to go make one right now.


All that made me think of was a sticker of Luther peeing on the pope, which would nevertheless be a fine sticker indeed.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 04, 2004, 03:26:50 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
It's like pretty much every other aspect of modern religious pop culture, which is basically a parody of secular pop culture.  Whatever you care to name; there is almost certainly a smarmy Christian alternative.


I had never really thought of this.  I'm Christian (though I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be), but I can't stand Christian pop culture.  Christian rock, fiction, and movies; basically anything that's not the theology turns me off.  And now that you've mentioned the trend, it's quite apparent.

Oddly, it mirrors the porn industry's tenacity for the same kind of parody.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2004, 04:49:36 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I had never really thought of this.  I'm Christian (though I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be), but I can't stand Christian pop culture.  Christian rock, fiction, and movies; basically anything that's not the theology turns me off.  And now that you've mentioned the trend, it's quite apparent.

Probably because so often the creators of the culture are ignorant of the theology/dogma. The actual facts* say the 6-day creation was just a metaphor and that anybody can get into heaven regardless of their religion but things like that get ignored by pop-culture. Either because they're inconvenient or the makers are just ignorant.

So we end up with lame preachy media that doesn't appeal to any sort of secular audience and misinforms its religious one. I guess that's why there's the stereotype of the moron-fanatic.

*as recognized by the church
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on May 04, 2004, 05:09:02 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I had never really thought of this.  I'm Christian (though I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be), but I can't stand Christian pop culture.  Christian rock, fiction, and movies; basically anything that's not the theology turns me off.  And now that you've mentioned the trend, it's quite apparent.

Probably because so often the creators of the culture are ignorant of the theology/dogma. The actual facts* say the 6-day creation was just a metaphor and that anybody can get into heaven regardless of their religion but things like that get ignored by pop-culture. Either because they're inconvenient or the makers are just ignorant.

So we end up with lame preachy media that doesn't appeal to any sort of secular audience and misinforms its religious one. I guess that's why there's the stereotype of the moron-fanatic.

*as recognized by the church

Not to be too terribly picky, but I think some "The Church"es don't see things quite this way.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Choop on May 04, 2004, 05:20:22 pm
Hey! HEY! Don't make me fling this into the Study. You will now return to levity. Now.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 04, 2004, 05:28:36 pm
New bumper sticker proposal:

How Would Jesus Park?
Title: Walking erect
Post by: arkabee on May 04, 2004, 08:21:55 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
New bumper sticker proposal:

How Would Jesus Park?


you are my short durational personal savior for the day, sir.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2004, 08:24:44 pm
Let's not stop there.  How would Jesus drive?
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2004, 08:54:37 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Let's not stop there.  How would Jesus drive?

Like an ass.

Oh, wait, sorry. On an ass.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on May 04, 2004, 08:54:40 pm
When and if I acquire a car, I'm totally making myself "How Would Jesus Drive?" and Luther peeing on the Pope. And I'm an agnostic.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Gimpson on May 04, 2004, 09:06:24 pm
Come on, people...  We're never going to win the Most Wandering Thread Award if we bring this back to driving and parking.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Choop on May 04, 2004, 09:16:44 pm
Threads in the Lounge which wander too far are split.

I try to run a decently tight ship here. Don't take that away from me.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Bozack on May 04, 2004, 09:36:17 pm
How Would Jesus Drive bumber stickers already exist; a friend of mine had one.


Just sayin, is all.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Choop on May 04, 2004, 09:58:50 pm
How Rusty is Jesus's Trombone?


I had a dream the other night of a tshirt design. A long-sleeved yellow baseball tee with navy or white sleeves would read on the front:

"Jesus fucked me"

and on the back:

"And He liked it"
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 04, 2004, 10:06:05 pm
Criminy, that's kind of foul. Slightly funny, though.

I like the shirt that says something like



My name is M.C. Menses [on the front]

And my flow be Fresh [on the back]
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jay-ell on May 04, 2004, 10:08:36 pm
That would be the last shirt on this page. (http://www.dieselsweeties.com/shirts/index2.shtml)
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 04, 2004, 10:10:45 pm
Gah, that model does nothing for me. Smart shirt, though.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2004, 10:15:11 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Gah, that model does nothing for me. Smart shirt, though.

He uses friends and readers. So she's probably a dumbrellite.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on May 04, 2004, 10:51:27 pm
As much as I enjoy that shirt in theory, I'm not sure it would be worth all the explaining one would have to do.

I think if I were into endorsing this comic in shirt form, I'd end up going with I Am Ten Ninjas.  But really, my real life has sufficient sleazy-indie-kids-fascinated-with-*****s content that I rarely end up reading DS.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2004, 01:10:14 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Gah, that model does nothing for me. Smart shirt, though.

He uses friends and readers. So she's probably a dumbrellite.


I think she's kinda hot, in the geeky way that I like.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pierced lemur on May 05, 2004, 02:55:05 am
And it's done.

http://www.cafeshops.com/bsestaff.11065621

Proceeds benefit a summer camp program. It's my existing store, but I knew it needed doing.

I had to draw the robe completely from scratch. It was tough, but worth it I think.

Next up, Luther and the Pope.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pmcd9 on May 05, 2004, 03:35:50 am
Quote from: "pierced lemur"
And it's done.

http://www.cafeshops.com/bsestaff.11065621

Proceeds benefit a summer camp program. It's my existing store, but I knew it needed doing.


Stupendous.

~Paul
Title: Walking erect
Post by: jough on May 05, 2004, 06:30:41 am
I don't usually allow members to post advertisements to their own deals, but I'm going to allow this.

SUSTAINED
Title: Walking erect
Post by: andalucia on May 05, 2004, 11:10:01 am
Bravo sir.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Nabubrush on May 05, 2004, 01:23:25 pm
I think there ought to be stickers for all the deities and prophets. For instance, "What Would Satan Do?" and so on. I like the "Jesus Fucked Me" idea, though.

I also sort of like "Jesus Da Pimp".
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pierced lemur on May 05, 2004, 01:43:39 pm
Quote from: "jough"
SUSTAINED

Thanks Jough.

I didn't even really think of it as an advert. Mainly "HOLY CRAP JESUS IS PISSING ON SIN" was about all that I could think of.



Funny thing is, it's Jesus camp.

Anyway, here's a link to the original high resolution PNG file, if you want to make your own stickers, t-shirts, tatoos, what have you. Enjoy.
http://ftp://usmftp.no-ip.com/sticker.png
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pierced lemur on May 05, 2004, 01:44:56 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I also sort of like "Jesus Da Pimp".


One of the other counselours let that expression slip during a camp wide vespers.
It was hilarious.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2004, 04:36:10 pm
Quote from: "pierced lemur"
And it's done.
http://www.cafeshops.com/bsestaff.11065621

Word.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Choop on May 07, 2004, 03:51:40 am
Lemur, you killed this thread!

I know it was you, Lemur. You broke my heart.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: pierced lemur on May 07, 2004, 03:54:10 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Lemur, you killed this thread!

I know it was you, Lemur. You broke my heart.


It was the ninjas.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: V-Adore on May 07, 2004, 02:26:13 pm
Quote from: "pierced lemur"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Lemur, you killed this thread!

I know it was you, Lemur. You broke my heart.


It was the ninjas.

You do mean the ninjas's, don't you?

Just to be clear.
Title: Walking erect
Post by: Bozack on May 08, 2004, 04:20:13 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I like the "Jesus Fucked Me" idea, though.


Slightly related: the best t-shirt I've ever seen has a the words "I FUCKED MICK JAGGER" and a picture of Sir Mick himself, all prancing and doing the chicken arms.



He's KIND of like Jesus.