The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: slink on April 27, 2004, 09:54:20 am

Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: slink on April 27, 2004, 09:54:20 am
There you go sailor - better cover for you?

Ray truly has a way with words. Or something.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: andalucia on April 27, 2004, 11:32:11 am
I found this one not so great, except that Ray is on the cover of his own novel.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: TALKYdude on April 27, 2004, 02:06:32 pm
Who else ran to their closet, pulled out their grandfather's nearly mint WWII flight jacket, and buried their nose in the worn out lining, taking a deep, long whiff while sobbing?

OK fine, it was my ex-girlfriend's 80s-ass reproduction goatskin Cooper A2, not my grandfather's.

OK OK, she wasn't my girlfriend! She wouldn't give me the time of day. That bitch. I stole the jacket.

All right, it's not mint either. The zipper pull is a thermometer (https://www.wellspent.org/Product?p=2377&c=81). Parts are threadbare and worn. And it smells like a bar, a vomity smoky bar.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: V-Adore on April 27, 2004, 02:11:55 pm
I'm a little split on this. On one hand, this is pretty much a funny strip; on the other, I'm getting a little tired of Ray inevitably being involved in every plot arc that comes along and am worried about this becoming Ray-centric. For that matter, I also sort of wonder how the hell Ray's past actually sorts out, given all the facts we have to date.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: TALKYdude on April 27, 2004, 02:11:59 pm
I love the little details: the rose at Ray's feet, the glasses, the flight cap worn in bed. His feet all poking out, the blanket wrinkly.
Is the cap on his heart the whole time he's getting back in the Cherokee and backing out the driveway?
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: jough on April 27, 2004, 03:29:21 pm
Settle down, TALKYdude.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Doctor Vendetta on April 27, 2004, 03:48:16 pm
I find Ray's prose style rather touching.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: jough on April 27, 2004, 03:52:40 pm
THIS JUST IN: Ugly people are no longer allowed to use photos of themselves as avatars.







Oh yeah, and I'm wise to you wisenacres who will say that I must remove my avatar too.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: AugustWest on April 27, 2004, 03:55:31 pm
Dude! Don't be dissin' Elvis!
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2004, 04:36:12 pm
Please don't reprint Ray's whole book.  The very thought of this terrifies me.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: misterhaan on April 27, 2004, 08:28:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Ugly people are no longer allowed to use photos of themselves as avatars.[/size]


how are we to know if we are ugly?  do i need to sign up for hotornot.com with my avatar or something?
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 27, 2004, 08:38:20 pm
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Who else ran to their closet, pulled out their grandfather's nearly mint WWII flight jacket, and buried their nose in the worn out lining, taking a deep, long whiff while sobbing?


Me.
(I did.)
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 27, 2004, 08:43:17 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
Quote from: "jough"
Ugly people are no longer allowed to use photos of themselves as avatars.[/size]


how are we to know if we are ugly?  do i need to sign up for hotornot.com with my avatar or something?


Dude, you GOTTA know by now...
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: AugustWest on April 27, 2004, 08:59:15 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
Quote from: "jough"
Ugly people are no longer allowed to use photos of themselves as avatars.[/size]


how are we to know if we are ugly?  do i need to sign up for hotornot.com with my avatar or something?


Sing In the Ghetto!  It's deep and pathos-filled.
Title: Re: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: sailor on April 27, 2004, 09:43:59 pm
Quote from: "slink"
There you go sailor - better cover for you?

quote]


no. there needs to be some busty-ass ho' up in thurr.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 27, 2004, 09:45:02 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
how are we to know if we are ugly?  do i need to sign up for hotornot.com with my avatar or something?


Find a not-so-pretty girl.
Propose out of the blue.
If she turns you down you'll know,
She's not as ugly as you.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: sailor on April 27, 2004, 09:48:18 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
Quote from: "jough"
Ugly people are no longer allowed to use photos of themselves as avatars.[/size]


how are we to know if we are ugly?  do i need to sign up for hotornot.com with my avatar or something?


dood, it ain't like you so ugly or whatever, put that pic makes you look like a total fukin' doosh. it's all like "check my ray-bans".

you look like you really want to ride a skateboard, but you can't, cuz mom said no.

everybody agrees with me, too
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Doctor Vendetta on April 27, 2004, 10:16:24 pm
Quote from: "jough"
THIS JUST IN: Ugly people are no longer allowed to use photos of themselves as avatars.


++++++NEWS FLASH+++++

<---I don't look like this.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: andalucia on April 27, 2004, 11:10:01 pm
Well can you at least pretend?  Everyone's having ever so much fun...
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 27, 2004, 11:37:24 pm
Does that mean that Pedro neither wears a helmet nor cocks his head at an odd angle and stares off into space?

Shit. Next you'll tell me JLD is not some sexy-ass secretary strumpet type like her avatar is.

I really am a bulldog wearing a lei, though, so's you know.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: andalucia on April 27, 2004, 11:44:07 pm
I.AM.SOY.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 27, 2004, 11:46:17 pm
In Spanish, you would only have to say "Soy Soy".

My favorite: "How do you eat?" "I eat like I eat!"

Como Comes? Como como como!
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: andalucia on April 28, 2004, 12:48:12 am
That makes me really, really glad I happened to make that comment.  God bless you sir.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: V-Adore on April 28, 2004, 02:37:45 am
I am, in fact, a giant tentacled googly-eye.

And I know where you live.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 28, 2004, 02:48:47 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Does that mean that Pedro neither wears a helmet nor cocks his head at an odd angle and stares off into space?


I do both.  The head-cockin' usually occurs when my picture is being taken.  I'm pretty sure it's a genetic disease.

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Shit. Next you'll tell me JLD is not some sexy-ass secretary strumpet type like her avatar is.


I think her avatar accurately captures her "sexy-ass secretary strumpet" essence in cartoon form.

As a fun side note, my avatar is actually me as a professional hockey player.  I have a copy of NHL 2001 for the PC.  I took one of my photos and wrapped it around a player's head.  This was a screenshot after I totally iced some Canuck.

Freakin' Canucks.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2004, 03:10:30 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I am, in fact, a giant tentacled googly-eye.

And I know where you live.

Do you do birthday parties and/or weddings?
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2004, 03:30:38 am
Je suis un oeuf sur le plat.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Ben-San on April 28, 2004, 10:42:49 am
I am not actually an @, but I might as well be.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: andalucia on April 28, 2004, 10:44:08 am
Ben-San, I might be losing some sort of insane geek cred for not knowing this, but what is your avatar about?  It makes me really really happy is all.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Ben-San on April 28, 2004, 10:50:01 am
It's about the game Angband, which can be found at http://thangorodrim.angband.org/ if you're interested. Angband is a dungeon-crawl game in which the player (represented by an @) delves deep into a dungeon with walls made of #s and fights many alphanumeric enemies while collecting treasure made of punctuation, all with the aim of eventually becoming powerful enough to kill Morgoth. Angband characters tend to die a lot; "It breathes. You die." is the old method of representing sudden death due to an offscreen dragon.
There are also numerous variants, replacing the kind-of-Tolkeinian setting with a kind-of-Moorcockian setting or a kind-of-Zelaznyan setting or other such, introducing new features, and so on. It's all pretty addictive once you get into it.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: V-Adore on April 28, 2004, 12:05:03 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I am, in fact, a giant tentacled googly-eye.

And I know where you live.

Do you do birthday parties and/or weddings?

Possibly, but I need a down payment and an address.

(Strictly for the paperwork, mind you. I can use my psychokinetic tentacles to sense your fear and thus home in on the location, but if I don't keep a paper trail it really bites me in the strictly-metaphorical ass come April.)
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: arkabee on April 28, 2004, 02:03:10 pm
i am, in fact, apologetic for having had an oversized avatar.  
in real life, it's often that i've thought i dressed for the occassion, but hadn't.

it should be 80 pizexelz by 80 pizexelz now.  if it isn't, i shall cry at my pathetic image manipulating skillz.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Nabubrush on April 28, 2004, 03:23:50 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Does that mean that Pedro neither wears a helmet nor cocks his head at an odd angle and stares off into space?


I do both.  The head-cockin' usually occurs when my picture is being taken.  I'm pretty sure it's a genetic disease.

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Shit. Next you'll tell me JLD is not some sexy-ass secretary strumpet type like her avatar is.


I think her avatar accurately captures her "sexy-ass secretary strumpet" essence in cartoon form.

As a fun side note, my avatar is actually me as a professional hockey player.  I have a copy of NHL 2001 for the PC.  I took one of my photos and wrapped it around a player's head.  This was a screenshot after I totally iced some Canuck.

Freakin' Canucks.

You. Are. Rad.

Also, I am invisible.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2004, 04:29:57 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
It's about the game Angband

Ah, I thought it was just a color-variant of NetHack. Which is what all the real hardcore people play.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: Ben-San on April 28, 2004, 06:11:35 pm
I wouldn't say one is inherently more hardcore than the other. They're seperate branches of descent from the ancestral Rogue with distinctly different play and design philosophies. I find that Nethack's extensive reliance on special-cases means that, after a certain amount of discovery, each iteration of play is less interesting than the one before it, while Angband is more reliant on consistent systems, making for more sustainable play. This is just my take, though, and YMM(and probably does)V.
Title: Danger at 2 1/2 feet - 27/04
Post by: sailor on April 29, 2004, 08:51:37 am
take it to the billard room, kids.