The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on April 28, 2004, 02:14:15 am

Title: Banner Adds
Post by: jay-ell on April 28, 2004, 02:14:15 am
Am I evil because, at first glance, I thought the "Asian Developing Nations: Fund Education for Girls in..." banner was an ad for porn?  

I have to admit, it did get my attention.  

I'm twisted, I know.  But I blame the Internet for corrupting my innocent mind.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2004, 02:57:00 am
Um, on this topic, has anybody else been getting a popup the first time they log on to the boards each day?  This has been happening since the weekend.  

Or is it just me?
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2004, 03:12:30 am
I only use Firefox so no. But at work where I don't have an ad-blocker installed I've noticed more "public service" ads than regular ones.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2004, 03:15:28 am
This gets through my ad-blocker (Google toolbar).
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2004, 10:17:04 am
I am also getting the pop-ups when I didn't before and thought I had that stuff blocked.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: andalucia on April 28, 2004, 10:41:09 am
I love you Firefox.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: arkabee on April 28, 2004, 01:49:16 pm
yes, i have been seeing a popup that "sliides" in from the left, some crap about winning something from sony. usually a click or two after logging into the board.

running- win98, ie6, google toolbar, spybots s & d immunized.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: Nabubrush on April 28, 2004, 02:30:27 pm
Me too (at work only).
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: jough on April 28, 2004, 02:57:01 pm
Yes, there will be one pop-up and one "invue" ad, once a day, for the great unwashed to help foot the bill.  Those with ad blocking software won't see either.

It's just that the ol' tip jar has been collecting more spider-webs than tips lately.  Gotta keep the old joint running somehow.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2004, 03:09:07 pm
The lurking spouse refused to contribute to the tip jar when he saw he had to give you our real address.  I don't know why he doesn't trust my Internet friends.... I did sit there clicking on banner ads while watching TV for a while to try to make up for it.  Any chance you could change to Paypal?  Paypal is perfect because it's the best evilest invention ever for making you feel like you're not spending real money.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: Nabubrush on April 28, 2004, 03:25:49 pm
I donate periodically (ok, only twice) but I have absolutely no problem at all with ads of any type keeping the board alive.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: jay-ell on April 28, 2004, 03:44:35 pm
I've been getting the pops, too -- because I have popup-blocking disabled for this site (on account of PMs).  It's one a day, no sweat.
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: jough on April 28, 2004, 03:51:55 pm
I have paypal:

paypal@jough.com
Title: Banner Adds
Post by: The Bob Talbot on May 27, 2004, 05:14:56 am
I would give you some money but I donated my last 52 cents to some camwhore so she could buy more lingerie.

I am so sorry.