The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Acanthopagrus on April 30, 2004, 11:54:06 am

Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Acanthopagrus on April 30, 2004, 11:54:06 am
I've got to be first this time god damn it!

Despite the fact that I have no idea what is going on with this strip.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: jough on April 30, 2004, 12:51:52 pm
You got to be first, but you forgot the date, son.

WHAT DAY IS IT TODAY?
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: AugustWest on April 30, 2004, 01:11:33 pm
Man, Ray's in kind of a slump lately.  Takin' it in the dumper from LN.  Johnnie Cakes. Abbot and Costello.  Heh.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: arlucasinc on April 30, 2004, 01:21:19 pm
Man. Ray is just straight up getting beat down. I mean, not like he doesn't deserve a shot here and there, but dang. When it rains, it pours, I guess.

Who's next? Philippe?
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: V-Adore on April 30, 2004, 02:40:20 pm
EDIT'D

And wow, Ray is getting beaten down. I figure Philippe abusing him next is only obligatory.

I do love the background of Ray making the muffins dance, though. That's just classy.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Gimpson on April 30, 2004, 02:53:52 pm
I thought it was Potatoes and Charlie Chaplin, not Muffins and Abbott and Costello.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: AugustWest on April 30, 2004, 02:54:12 pm
I figure Todd's gonna kick him in the nuts, or something like that.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2004, 04:29:30 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
I thought it was Potatoes and Charlie Chaplin, not Muffins and Abbott and Costello.

Quote from: "snpp"
Abe: Aw, feeling blue, eh?  I got something that'll cheer you up.[puts forks in two potatoes and makes them dance]
Jackie: [wheezes laughter]
Lawyer: [approaching] Sir, I represent the estate of Charles Chaplin.  I have a court order demanding an immediate halt to this unauthorized imitation.  Boys? [two large men grab the potatoes and forks and stomp on them]

I'm guessing he had LN get it slightly wrong on purpose. I mean that was so crazy long ago how can LN be expected to keep track of ancient history like that?

Icebox was a nice touch.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2004, 05:18:37 pm
"Whatever. Have fun being in or near the house."

This I will use. fuck*ng classic.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: slink on April 30, 2004, 06:05:33 pm
I was about to post first when I looked at it this morning. But decided I had better things to do than spend 10 minutes thinking of something to say.
Now I wish I had just to have avoided someone essentially yelling ' FIRST POST'.
God I fuckin hate /.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Gimpson on April 30, 2004, 06:05:59 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
"Whatever. Have fun being in or near the house."

This I will use. fuck*ng classic.


If I ever decide to be cruel to my roommate in re: the fact that he is a shut-in, this is the form it will take.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: V-Adore on April 30, 2004, 06:09:12 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
"Whatever. Have fun being in or near the house."

This I will use. fuck*ng classic.


If I ever decide to be cruel to my roommate in re: the fact that he is a shut-in, this is the form it will take.

Off-topic: if you choose to be cruel to your roommate about being a shut-in, first ensure that you are not equivalently shut-in. Also: do not include an implied rider about not being enough of a "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" fan.

two weeks to go in this goddamn suite.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 30, 2004, 06:40:22 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I was about to post first when I looked at it this morning. But decided I had better things to do than spend 10 minutes thinking of something to say.
Now I wish I had just to have avoided someone essentially yelling ' FIRST POST'.
God I fuckin hate /.


First reply!
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: slink on April 30, 2004, 07:00:39 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

First reply!

<SLASHDOT FORMATTING>

Nah, it's ok, since I know for a fact you probably won't run off into a spotty discussion over how much of an asshole Derek Smart is say.<BR><BR>

But maybe we can discuss Darl McBride being an asshole, or maybe Gabe Newell eating his sauce leak.<BR>

</.F>

Only because I did actually try to use line breaks when I started this.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2004, 08:58:04 pm
Now, now - I don't come here to not understand the in-jokes. I come here to not understand the plain english. Tighten up, please.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 30, 2004, 09:05:45 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

First reply!

<SLASHDOT FORMATTING>

Nah, it's ok, since I know for a fact you probably won't run off into a spotty discussion over how much of an asshole Derek Smart is say.<BR><BR>

But maybe we can discuss Darl McBride being an asshole, or maybe Gabe Newell eating his sauce leak.<BR>

</.F>

Only because I did actually try to use line breaks when I started this.


Umm, what?

Is this in Glaswegian? Slink, you burnin' a fattie?
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2004, 09:11:00 pm
Every time I see stuff like this on the internet, I assume "the emperor has no clothes" and I figure a person could just type any old goofy shit and someone would say "word".

You know, it's all ching chong wing wong.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: pmcd9 on April 30, 2004, 09:35:32 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
I thought it was Potatoes and Charlie Chaplin, not Muffins and Abbott and Costello.


Quote from: "snpp"
Abe: Aw, feeling blue, eh? I got something that'll cheer you up.[puts forks in two potatoes and makes them dance]
Jackie: [wheezes laughter]
Lawyer: [approaching] Sir, I represent the estate of Charles Chaplin. I have a court order demanding an immediate halt to this unauthorized imitation. Boys? [two large men grab the potatoes and forks and stomp on them]


I'm guessing he had LN get it slightly wrong on purpose. I mean that was so crazy long ago how can LN be expected to keep track of ancient history like that?



LN's Abbot and Costello was a Who's on First reference in response to Ray's "That's a Who song."  LN got it right.

~Paul
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: slink on April 30, 2004, 09:37:16 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Is this in Glaswegian?


No. Just my complaint about slashdot types, and the fact that I can't switch between forum formatting methods easily.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: jough on April 30, 2004, 10:12:24 pm
Panel 4 is a very nice Benny & Joon reference.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2004, 10:18:34 pm
After reading it again, I think my favorite part is Ray's construction in panel two: "Ain't no parent in this day got no kid named at ALL Baba O'Riley!" Like the amount that a person has a particular name is modifiable. I just really enjoy that idea.
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: arkabee on April 30, 2004, 11:46:21 pm
i particularly like the pause while saying not to take any nickels, as if he were wondering if it were a trick question or not, but then finishing with gusto (!).
Title: What's the verdict on wooden nickels? -- 30 Avril
Post by: andalucia on May 01, 2004, 01:56:53 am
I've spent long enough on the Internet to be able to chuckle cocktail-party style at allusions such as this.  This both pleases and worries me.