The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Limmo on April 30, 2004, 09:54:01 pm
-
You may have already seen the link to this on Metafilter, but if not, here's a very strange soy sauce commercial (http://yoga.at.infoseek.co.jp/flash/kikkomaso.swf).
-
I love the Japanese.
-
Color me vaguely disturbed. When I see shit that weird, I always assume it has to be some sort of joke, but like most things in life, it's probably not intentionally. What's with the hanged cat?
-
That is indeed rad to the max. I'm a very big fan of those giraffe-shaped soy-sauce modules, and this will indeed hold a special place in my heart.
-
Is that an actual ad or a parody? Wow, bizarre.
~Paul
-
The story as I understand it (via word of mouth and probably cross-language confusion):
The superhero Kikkoman originated on the mega-hugemongous Japanese message board Futaba Channel in the form of a series of Unicode-art adventures with his sidekicks Mayonnaise and Sugar. Eventually they started making Flash animations about him as well, and after a while somebody recorded the theme song "Show Me, Shouyu" (shouyu being the word for soy sauce) and made a Flash animation to go with it. The Kikkoman company has since adopted him in some way and their Japanese site has an archive of some of the Kikkoman flash animations.
(Edit to answer Nabubrush's question: The cat has hanged himself out of shame. He did not know that soy was the best condiment for his food.)
-
The cat has hanged himself out of shame. He did not know that soy was the best condiment for his food.
Firm, but fair.
-
It's a fair cop, but society is to blame.
-
It's a fair cop, but society is to blame.
Ohh yeah, baby.
Also, the sweetie absolutely loved this. Thanks, Limmo.
-
You are most welcome, Nabu.