The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: slink on May 03, 2004, 03:52:22 pm

Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: slink on May 03, 2004, 03:52:22 pm
I just watched what is, most indisputably, the most beautiful film ever!
It's an all Korean anime, one of the few, by a guy who's done work for the Japanese studios before (Korea being the biggest colourists ('your mother's a tracer')) and ads.
Anyway, it's quite odd. I can't say I was expecting any of what I saw, but then I never actually remembered the synopsis any time I read time.
It reminded me of a few things in places, but not derivatively:
Evangelion - which I never really got into, but it has some similarities such as  some of the stylings for the company.
Trigun - the dystopian world, and the relationship of Shua and Jay.
Castle in the Sky - the weirdness of the last 10 minutes reminded me of the end section of Laputa (or Castle in the Sky thanks to Spanish), though again, not in a derivative way, just strong similarities. Any way I say it sounds bad...
There were even sections that made me think of City of Lost Children, which is certainly a sign of the strength of design and artwork in it.
While the plot is a bit odd, and possibly rambles slightly, I was taken with it. Oh yes, bits of it reminded me of Logan's Run too. I was taken with it in terms of it's way of looking at the utopian world - like a good old sci-fi movie! And like I say the artwork just kicks eleventy kinds of ass.

Basically, it's just fuck*ng stunning - I may have to go watch the intro credits again... They were nice.

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353014/)
Official site  (http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/) - or as much of it as you get in English!
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on May 03, 2004, 04:04:44 pm
Looks pretty good (word is the Korean scene is about to explode). Back on the island, Have you seen Texhnolyze (http://www.geneon-ent.co.jp/rondorobe/anime/TEXHNOLYZE/) yet? Quite diggable.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: slink on May 03, 2004, 04:47:58 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Have you seen Texhnolyze (http://www.geneon-ent.co.jp/rondorobe/anime/TEXHNOLYZE/) yet? Quite diggable.


Fucker. Just what I needed was another one to buy!
Nah, haven't seen anything about that but it does look rather nice, and MadHouse are one of the top three or four studios over there  as far as I'm concerned. Definitely have to take a look at it.

Have you seen Last Exile before? Amazon are trying to sell me it and it does look like it could be reather nice actually.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 03, 2004, 04:59:47 pm
I just showed a friend a copy of Vampire Hunter D.  It was the first anime he'd seen (discounting an unfortunate bit of hentai someone had shown him).  The odd thing is that D was the first anime film I'd ever seen, and one of the first the video store guy had seen.  This makes me wonder.  Is the guy with the impossibly large hat and the disturbing face on his hand some sort of geek rite of passage?
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: slink on May 03, 2004, 05:16:31 pm
Umm. Guess who hasn't seen D yet. Or any of his friends.
Maybe it's a national thing. I started out with Akira in the 80's.

It has been on my list for a time, but I am still collecting a couple of series before buying anything else. I only got round to getting Wonderful Days 'cause my brother picked me up one of the Limited Edition sets.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on May 03, 2004, 05:42:15 pm
I am also a bad person who has not seen D. I'm from that crop of anime fans who got swallowed up by Cowboy Bebop.

I haven't seen Last Exile yet but I've been hearing great things about it. Kino's Journey (http://www.kinosjourney.com/) is my other big fave from this year so far (if you're down with slow pacing and allegory).

"Fucker. Just what I needed was another one to buy!"

The rental service Greencine (http://www.greencine.com/main) has saved me soooo much money in the past year (dunno if the UK has anything similar). US people: tons of anime, independent film, deep catalog foreign and experimental, all the candy. Downside: the farther you are from the west coast, the slower the ship times (only one distribution point at this time). Here in Michigan we get about a 3-4 day turn around time (compared to 1-2 days for Netflix, which has a warehouse in Grand Rapids).
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: V-Adore on May 03, 2004, 06:03:15 pm
D wasn't my first anime (that was, ill-advisedly enough, Ninja Scroll), but I was there at a public screening of D for our high-school Sci-Fi Club that no doubt popped a few people's cherries. It was also accompanied by the monotonous narration of the "good parts" by the owner of the tape, but hey, in every viewing a little rain must fall.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 03, 2004, 08:31:50 pm
I was following the journalist's handbook, where three occurances automatically make a trend.  My mistake.  I did also catch Akira and Ninja Scroll early on.  Akira I still think of as the quintessential anime film.  I had the soundtrack for a while.  It especially rocked.  I keep meaning to see Cowboy Bebop.  I always hear good things about it.  I'm kind of a casual fan, so I haven't heard of most of the titles you guys mention.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2004, 08:59:56 pm
I saw D first. I think it was an age thing, I think. Cartoon Network showed it fairly often, as did Sci-Fi and even TBS (late at night). So lots of twenty-somethings saw it surfing after SNL. And let's face it, most otaku would probably be home just watching TV on a Saturday in middle/high school.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2004, 09:23:21 pm
Ummm, I just bought Futurama season 3.

Hey guys, where are you going?
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: jough on May 03, 2004, 10:52:50 pm
Yeah, Futurama Season 3 just arrived here today too, along with Kung Fu: Season 1.

That combination is kinda like animé.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Ben-San on May 04, 2004, 03:09:08 pm
Vampire Hunter D and Akira both got enough penetration into science-fiction fandom to be a lot of people's first anime in a certain timeframe. I think it's the big wave between the *****ech-induced wave and the Sailor Moon-induced wave, but I may easily have the order wrong.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: jough on May 04, 2004, 03:18:52 pm
Man, there sure are a lot of propeller beanies in this room.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 04, 2004, 03:32:12 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Vampire Hunter D and Akira both got enough penetration into science-fiction fandom to be a lot of people's first anime in a certain timeframe. I think it's the big wave between the *****ech-induced wave and the Sailor Moon-induced wave, but I may easily have the order wrong.


No that sounds about right.  The older kids liked *****ech, and the younger kids liked the the Sailors.  Meanwhile my gang was trying to figure out what amoeba had to do with psychokinesis.

Psychokinesis is pretty much telekinesis plus yelling.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2004, 04:41:17 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Psychokinesis is pretty much telekinesis plus yelling.

See number 44 (http://www.abcb.com/laws/).

There was also a lot of stuff that people didn't realize was anime when they were first watching it. Kimba, Voltron, Speed Racer, etc.

I've had several friends who wrote off anime after seeing Akira then Princess Monoke because they thought it all involved evil consuming blobs for some reason.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Ben-San on May 04, 2004, 10:31:32 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
There was also a lot of stuff that people didn't realize was anime when they were first watching it. Kimba, Voltron, Speed Racer, etc.


Counting those, I was started with Voltron. Generally, to my knowledge, these didn't tend to play an active role in starting people into any particular kind of anime fandom unless they lived in an area with a high level of Asian culture (or just a  high level of Asian knick-knack shops) and got to wondering why their favorite characters were in boxes labeled in Japanese. *****ech and Sailor Moon had a higher tendency to grab people into other anime for whatever reason than other TV anime before the Cartoon Network TV anime boom.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've had several friends who wrote off anime after seeing Akira then Princess Monoke because they thought it all involved evil consuming blobs for some reason.


Still half a step above "Violent Japanese porn cartoons".
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: arkabee on May 05, 2004, 04:15:43 am
lessee.  i guess voltron et al, woulda been my first, but at the time all they were, were really cool cartoons.

first anime, per se, film that i can remember, woulda been Akira.  thought it was stellar in high school, but it didn't really change anything.  watching bubblegum crash & crisis one day at college really got me away from "japanamation" and into "anime".

saw various things, etc, but still didn't "get it" till later.  First thing that made me stand up and say "wow" woulda been Serial Experiments Lain, which pretty much sucked me into wannabe otaku-ville.

Harlock, though, would be my Anime Archetype of Choice.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2004, 04:48:44 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
saw various things, etc, but still didn't "get it" till later.  First thing that made me stand up and say "wow" woulda been Serial Experiments Lain, which pretty much sucked me into wannabe otaku-ville.

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 05, 2004, 06:16:50 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've had several friends who wrote off anime after seeing Akira then Princess Monoke because they thought it all involved evil consuming blobs for some reason.


My senior year in college, I wrote a paper for Modern Japanese History theorizing that these evil consuming blobs were really the modern Japanese psyche still trying to work its way around getting A-bombed.

Along with huge earthquakes, the atomic bomb twisted much of Japanese popular culture into an obsession with man and nature clashing in apocalyptic battles that often swallowed cities and were really our fault in the end.  It was a really fun paper.  I wonder what I got on it.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2004, 07:12:03 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've had several friends who wrote off anime after seeing Akira then Princess Monoke because they thought it all involved evil consuming blobs for some reason.

My senior year in college, I wrote a paper for Modern Japanese History theorizing that these evil consuming blobs were really the modern Japanese psyche still trying to work its way around getting A-bombed.

Along with huge earthquakes, the atomic bomb twisted much of Japanese popular culture into an obsession with man and nature clashing in apocalyptic battles that often swallowed cities and were really our fault in the end.  It was a really fun paper.  I wonder what I got on it.

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 05, 2004, 08:12:53 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?


Nope.  Should I?  If so, should I see it because it's good, or because it's bad.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2004, 08:48:20 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?

Nope.  Should I?  If so, should I see it because it's good, or because it's bad.


http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/1453.php

Quote from: "Chris Beveridge"

This is a film that, whether you like it or not, I think must be seen at least once. The simple ideas and concepts it presents are so pure and universal that they can and often do affect everyone who sees it.
[...]
For me, this movie will likely never become easier to watch, but will always serve as a reminder of just how precious life is. It is one of a handful of movies that have affected me down to my core and will be with me for years and years to come. It’s been nearly seven years since my mother has seen this movie, but with her just seeing the cover for it while visiting, the imagery from the film sprang to her mind and almost had her in tears from the memories. This is a powerful piece of work that can really affect people. It is the one movie I recommend to everyone as a must without any reservation.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: arkabee on May 05, 2004, 09:18:55 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
saw various things, etc, but still didn't "get it" till later.  First thing that made me stand up and say "wow" woulda been Serial Experiments Lain, which pretty much sucked me into wannabe otaku-ville.

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?


no, i haven't.  i don't like sad things.  i like happy things, were puppies and kitties live together and fight evil space villains.

and the fact that it looks like i will cry while watching this movie means that i will put off watching it as much as possible.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 12, 2004, 02:53:55 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
i like happy things, were puppies and kitties live together and fight evil space villains.


What about when scantily clad *****-ladies pull at a hatch so hard their arms fall off while fighting morally ambiguous entities that exist only within the movements of electrons?

No?  Puppies and kitties then?  Okay, puppies and kitties it is.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: CortJstr on May 12, 2004, 04:00:09 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "arkabee"
i like happy things, were puppies and kitties live together and fight evil space villains.


What about when scantily clad robot-ladies pull at a hatch so hard their arms fall off while fighting morally ambiguous entities that exist only within the movements of electrons?

No?  Puppies and kitties then?  Okay, puppies and kitties it is.

That reminds me. GitS: Stand Alone Complex is coming soon (http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=293).

And technically she was a cyborg not a robot.
Title: And so anyway, back to the Anime...
Post by: arkabee on May 12, 2004, 07:09:11 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "arkabee"
i like happy things, were puppies and kitties live together and fight evil space villains.


What about when scantily clad robot-ladies pull at a hatch so hard their arms fall off while fighting morally ambiguous entities that exist only within the movements of electrons?

No?  Puppies and kitties then?  Okay, puppies and kitties it is.

That reminds me. GitS: Stand Alone Complex is coming soon (http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=293).

And technically she was a cyborg not a robot.


stand alone complex was awesome.  i think i only saw about half the episodes, but it were teh bomb.

um, but ya, pedro.  scantily clad ladies will always be ok in mah anime.  especially if they have kitties.