The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: pubdoggy on August 07, 2003, 01:41:55 pm

Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: pubdoggy on August 07, 2003, 01:41:55 pm
Sing along if you will:

Quote
CHORUS:
I'm taking Ray's advice,
trying to make it nice
to be myself
but I need Ray's Help.

What should I drink?
What should I smoke?
Does she wanna french with me?
How am I gonna know?

What should I wear?
What can I say?
Should I move to Thailand?
Please tell me Ray!

I'm taking Ray's advice,
I'm trying to make it nice
to be myself
but I need Ray's Help.

I'm taking Ray's advice
cos' I know that Ray is wise
'bout important stuff
like alcohol and drugs and love
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2003, 01:50:29 pm
Dang I wish our computers at work had sound
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: captainimpossibles on August 07, 2003, 01:59:51 pm
Play it as a continous loop to someone strapped in a chair with their ears wired open.
Soon. They shall be taking Ray's advice. Soon.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: Schabe on August 07, 2003, 02:18:55 pm
It is shiny and good!
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: jough on August 07, 2003, 04:40:06 pm
Pubdoggy, you are a serious freakazoid to have transcribed the lyrics.

Nicely done.  You get a treat.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: jay-ell on August 07, 2003, 04:41:16 pm
The treat will be that life is awesome.  

Damn, where did that come from?
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: ferocious j on August 07, 2003, 06:00:33 pm
Soon there will be a techno remix a la "Ray's Place (BT vs Juno Reactor Six Ways from Sunday Reconstruction).mp3" on Kazaa.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2003, 06:38:17 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Soon there will be a techno remix a la "Ray's Place (BT vs Juno Reactor Six Ways from Sunday Reconstruction).mp3" on Kazaa.


Dammit! Now I wish I had Black Jesus' new e-mail address.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: slink on August 07, 2003, 06:40:00 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Soon there will be a techno remix a la "Ray's Place (BT vs Juno Reactor Six Ways from Sunday Reconstruction).mp3" on Kazaa.


I'll open Reason up now! Hell, why else am I doing always doing music but to do comedy remixes (though very serious and pretentious a la all techno remixes)
I'll post an url later! (k, little longer, it's not an easy one to split up into useful samples :S)
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 03:45:30 am
Meh.

Would have been much cooler had it been an unsolicited contribution; however, we know it was ...well, not commissioned per se, but at least discussed a priori.

Is it just me or is the text size on all of his written "humo(u)r" pieces ridiculously large? I have to super-shrink it to avoid getting a headache. It's like msnbc.com above the fold.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: CortJstr on August 08, 2003, 04:01:40 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Is it just me or is the text size on all of his written "humo(u)r" pieces ridiculously large? I have to super-shrink it to avoid getting a headache. It's like msnbc.com above the fold.


When I look at work (IE 5 on NT4) it looks fine, but when I read them at home (IE 6 on Win98) it has SuperBOLD! syndrome. I dunno what's up.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 04:06:30 am
probably a CSS instruction. I'll check.


*checks*...


ahh, yes.
Code: [Select]
.ray {
font-family: Georgia, Times, Garamond, Serif;
font-size: medium;
color: #000000;
line-height: 120%;
}
.rayTitle
{
font-size:   16px;
font-style:  italic;
font-weight: bold;
}


Any web developer knows there must be a "correcting" size set for IE5.5+ or "medium" is far, far too big. And 16px, italic, bold, is just plain going to ruin the internet.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2003, 04:11:20 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Meh.

Would have been much cooler had it been an unsolicited contribution; however, we know it was ...well, not commissioned per se, but at least discussed a priori.

This is true. This is very, very true.

That said... I like this. It's insubstantial and sort of silly, but it's reasonably nice-sounding. Wouldn't want to loop it on my playlist for five solid hours, but it coming up ever so often on randomized Winamp will be a Good Thing(tm).
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: pubdoggy on August 08, 2003, 07:31:12 am
Quote from: "jough"
Pubdoggy, you are a serious freakazoid to have transcribed the lyrics.

Nicely done.  You get a treat.


I was sprinting to get that done, thinking that the majority of posters here were gonna beat me to it. Now I know I'm a sad little man with very little to do in his day. Is that my treat? because it's RUBBISH.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: CortJstr on August 08, 2003, 12:57:48 pm
I finally listened to the song last night and I thought it was pretty good. For what it was I thought it fit it's format nicely. Not random like when TMBG wrote a theme song called Oranges, more on-topic.

But it was no Fett's Vette by MC Chris.

My backpack's got jets / I'm Bobba the Fett / I bounty hunt for Jabba Hutt / to finance my Vette
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2003, 06:58:59 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I finally listened to the song last night and I thought it was pretty good. For what it was I thought it fit it's format nicely. Not random like when TMBG wrote a theme song called Oranges, more on-topic.

See, I actually could have used a little more of the randomness. Oranges was more or less on-topic, just skewed, and was actually enjoyable outside of its context as a theme/shill; the Ray's Place song... is just kind of asking Ray for advice on things Ray gets asked about a lot. On further listen, it feels like a bit of a rush job.
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: jough on August 08, 2003, 07:25:29 pm
I think the biggest problem with the song is that it's presumptuous.

Think of the first line: "I'm takin' Ray's advice..."

Personally, I would probably not really follow anything "Ray" had to say.  We ask questions to get the funny answers, not to actually improve the quality of our lives (and I'll save the argument that making me laugh week after week improves the quality of my life, as that's a GIVEN).

So really it should be I'm "seeking" Ray's advice, or I'm writing in to see my letter anonymously in print, or something like that.

In fact, I'm going to make my OWN theme song for Ray this weekend and put it up here.

So there. :P
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2003, 08:23:24 pm
I liked it.  It's got a good beat, you can dance to it.  I'd give it a 10.  

Damn guys what's your problem that nobody came up with this before?
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: pmcd9 on August 09, 2003, 07:27:21 pm
Quote
probably a CSS instruction. I'll check.


*checks*...


ahh, yes.
Code:
.ray {
font-family: Georgia, Times, Garamond, Serif;
font-size: medium;
color: #000000;
line-height: 120%;
}
.rayTitle
{
   font-size:   16px;
   font-style:  italic;
   font-weight: bold;
}


Any web developer knows there must be a "correcting" size set for IE5.5+ or "medium" is far, far too big. And 16px, italic, bold, is just plain going to ruin the internet.


If the text size issue is fixed next week we will have our proof that Onstad reads this board.

~Paul
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: slink on August 09, 2003, 08:02:35 pm
Maybe I've only never noticed the scary size of the text because of the size of my screen. I was shocked to discover that to print out this issue would take 17 pages. Yea, that includes stupid printing method that leaves about 3 pages with nothing but an image on it, but even so!
Title: Ray's Place Theme Tune
Post by: starlight on August 16, 2003, 10:23:39 am
I have the song on my winamp playlist; so far, it's only played once and I listen to winamp on random a lot - hmm winamp must not like it :\

---

It's good I don't print often!  the page looks fine in my browser ..hm.