The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on May 05, 2004, 01:12:56 am

Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2004, 01:12:56 am
Anybody else seeing the banner adds for Styx tickets and thinking, "Man, I wish I had me some Styx tickets so's I could hear 'em play that rockin' Renegade song."

I didn't think so.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: V-Adore on May 05, 2004, 02:10:44 am
I'm moving this to Conservatory just to be safe and also because I have become mad with power re: the "move" button lately.
Title: Re: STYX Tickets!
Post by: jay-ell on May 05, 2004, 02:36:29 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Anybody else seeing the banner adds for Styx tickets and thinking, "Man, I wish I had me some Styx tickets so's I could hear 'em play that rockin' Renegade song."


Oooh!  Me!  

Quote
I didn't think so.


Oh, I get it.  You were poking fun.  

I mean, I certainly don't own several Styx albums, on purpose.  

Sheesh.  This is why I still haven't mailed my mix disk.
Title: Re: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2004, 03:17:24 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Anybody else seeing the banner adds for Styx tickets and thinking, "Man, I wish I had me some Styx tickets so's I could hear 'em play that rockin' Renegade song."


Oooh!  Me!  

Quote
I didn't think so.


Oh, I get it.  You were poking fun.  

I mean, I certainly don't own several Styx albums, on purpose.  

Sheesh.  This is why I still haven't mailed my mix disk.


See, I'm allowed to poke fun, because I too own several Styx albums... on 8-track!
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2004, 03:20:20 am
Also, I originally posted it where I did because that was where I saw the Styx banner.  Sorry, I've been facing long nights and impossible odds lately.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: pmcd9 on May 05, 2004, 03:40:58 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Also, I originally posted it where I did because that was where I saw the Styx banner.  Sorry, I've been facing long nights and impossible odds lately.


I was gonna post that Styx bashing is really lame.  Here's your gun, there's a barrel full of giraffe.  But you sir, made me laugh.

Also, I own all of that lame shit too.  Styx, Journey, Bryan Adams, Meatloaf,  You name it.

~Paul
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2004, 04:06:42 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Also, I originally posted it where I did because that was where I saw the Styx banner.  Sorry, I've been facing long nights and impossible odds lately.


I was gonna post that Styx bashing is really lame.  Here's your gun, there's a barrel full of giraffe.  But you sir, made me laugh.

Also, I own all of that lame shit too.  Styx, Journey, Bryan Adams, Meatloaf,  You name it.

~Paul


Domo Arigato

I think that's how you spell it... ching chong, wing wong, etc...
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Choop on May 05, 2004, 04:16:30 am
Heh: I was sitting in my cube today when all of a sudden I heard a bunch of Asian multilogue coming from the nearby "meeting area." Now, the only place I usually hear this is in dialogue form in the break room at lunch time, since I work for the state, and the state hires more minorities than Nike, it seems (please read no bias into that). This turns out to be a group of consultants or interns or something, they're here for a very short time (week or two).

My boss turns to me - he doesn't read Achewood -- also nobody else was standing there - and says, "What are they talking about? It's all ching long wing kong, I can't understand it."

Anyway, it was close enough to double me over until I could sit back in my cube. I showed him the very strip, and he understood *at what* I was laughing, but not exactly *why.*

Just thought I'd share.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2004, 04:25:31 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
since I work for the state,


Me too.

Government work rocks!
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: arkabee on May 05, 2004, 04:34:20 am
short shameful styx confession:

my sister had 2 (two) lp's on vinyl.  we had no tapes, and *gasp* this was before cd's *.

these albums were: Rick Springfield's Working Class Dog, and Styx's Mr. *****o album.

these albums were the "the bomb" for my fragile little brane at the time, because Casey Casem's voice really freaked me out.  (also, keep in mind the first "album" (tape from a cut out bin) i ever bought was Genesis' ABACAB).

now, the confession:  Looking at the Artwork within the LP, and not really gathering the notion of a "concept rock opera", i kept thinking jail wouldn't really be so bad, what with the cool *****s, AND THE KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN.


ps-
i hope it was Kentucky Fried Chicken.  if not, i'm going to have to find a better analyst.


*(wow.  that's the first time i realized i grew up without cd's.  i think i'm feeling honestly old and for the first time of my life, behind the times.  it took me awhile to deal with people born in the 80's drinking.  the other day i realized that people born in the 90's are driving.  i could cope.  but i grew up before cd's, and now these punk asses are asking me why i don't have an mp3 player.  (i remember john denver on 8track in my dad's beetle.)).
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Choop on May 05, 2004, 05:03:39 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
since I work for the state,


Me too.


Why does it feel like we've had this conversation? Like a full 20% of a bunch of people on some forum I frequent work for the state. Does this comply with the general statistics?

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Government work rocks!


No, it doesn't. Government benefits rock. 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick leave, all in one year. That rocks.


edit for clarification and general expansion
Title: Re: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 05, 2004, 01:16:46 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Anybody else seeing the banner adds for Styx tickets and thinking, "Man, I wish I had me some Styx tickets so's I could hear 'em play that rockin' Renegade song."


Oooh!  Me!  

Quote
I didn't think so.


Oh, I get it.  You were poking fun.  

I mean, I certainly don't own several Styx albums, on purpose.  

Sheesh.  This is why I still haven't mailed my mix disk.


See, I'm allowed to poke fun, because I too own several Styx albums... on 8-track!

If you don't own the original, laser-cut vinyl version of Paradise Theater, you ain't shit.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: V-Adore on May 05, 2004, 02:16:24 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"

My boss turns to me - he doesn't read Achewood -- also nobody else was standing there - and says, "What are they talking about? It's all ching long wing kong, I can't understand it."

This is beautiful. Just gorgeous.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2004, 04:32:08 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
No, it doesn't. Government benefits rock. 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick leave, all in one year. That rocks.

Dammit! The FDA outsources to my company. So we're doing gov't work but only get off for the 6 "real" holidays. But I do get 3 weeks + 1 of personal so I guess it all works out.

[Edit: I'm a shoe now, bitch!]
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 05, 2004, 04:41:20 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

[Edit: I'm a shoe now, bitch!]

Congratulations. My sabbatical has really cost me.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: V-Adore on May 05, 2004, 04:46:01 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
[Edit: I'm a shoe now, bitch!]

Mondo congratulations.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: slink on May 05, 2004, 05:07:44 pm
And this belonged in the Conservatory?

If I wasn't listening to Primus right now I wouldn't let it go.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: V-Adore on May 05, 2004, 05:38:22 pm
Quote from: "slink"
And this belonged in the Conservatory?

If I wasn't listening to Primus right now I wouldn't let it go.

Well, the topic is at least marginally about music... despite the drift.

You could always kick it to the Lounge and let Choop deal with it.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 05, 2004, 05:51:26 pm
Damn, it's only six posts removed from music. You mods, I swear, you let the power go to your heads.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 05, 2004, 08:42:00 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
since I work for the state,


Me too.


Why does it feel like we've had this conversation? Like a full 20% of a bunch of people on some forum I frequent work for the state. Does this comply with the general statistics?

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Government work rocks!


No, it doesn't. Government benefits rock. 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick leave, all in one year. That rocks.

edit for clarification and general expansion


FED GOVT: All STATE Holidays (since I'm in a State Office) AND all FED holidays. Like, 13 of them here. Also, accumulating sick time at 4 hours per pay period (104 hours a year) and Vacation at 6 hours per pay period (156 hours per year, which in two years is increased to 8 per period).

So, right now, for every 8 hours of work I am accumulating one hour off, and in two years, it increases to 1.2 hours off per 8 hours. Sick time accumulates forever, but only 240 hours of Vacation gets carried over per year. I have been carrying over 6 weeks for the past 5-6 years now.


THAT rocks.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 05, 2004, 08:44:02 pm
If you aren't part of the solution . . .

I would be on that like flies on shit, if I weren't presently doin a number much like that on a company in the private sector
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2004, 08:55:08 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
So, right now, for every 8 hours of work I am accumulating one hour off, and in two years, it increases to 1.2 hours off per 8 hours. Sick time accumulates forever, but only 240 hours of Vacation gets carried over per year. I have been carrying over 6 weeks for the past 5-6 years now.

THAT rocks.

Gentlement, initiate project AlohaDawg Needs a Bitch-Slap.

I mean 6 weeks? Damn.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 05, 2004, 09:01:28 pm
I mean, come on, how can I take THAT much time off? I carry over the 240, and during the year (26 pay periods) 156 hours get generated. I waould have to take off almost 10 weeks to burn off all that time, and that is with not touching my sick time at all (2 weeks and 3 days). 12 weeks is almost a quarter of the year. That's a lot of time to take off....

Hmmm....one week a month.....that sounds OK, too....
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 05, 2004, 09:02:51 pm
I like Dawg and all, but that's pure and simple just wrong.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Gimpson on May 06, 2004, 12:07:05 pm
My pop is a long time government worker, and never took time off.  He's getting close to retirement, and at this point I believe he has over three years of vacation saved up.  When he retires, the vacation is paid out in cash, at his present salary no less.  

Almost makes me wish I wasn't in the private sector....
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2004, 01:25:37 pm
Let's see, I get 1.25 annual leave days per month, or 15 per year.  I also get 1 sick day per month or 12 per year.  That makes 27 days per year total.  I also have about 10 days of comp time saved up.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 06, 2004, 02:13:11 pm
I don't get any of that stuff. My ex's dad was a cop, and his retirement was based on 60% of the average over his last three or five years on the job. He racked up the OT and got something like 62 K a year in retirement.
Title: STYX Tickets!
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 06, 2004, 05:06:15 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
My pop is a long time government worker, and never took time off.  He's getting close to retirement, and at this point I believe he has over three years of vacation saved up.  When he retires, the vacation is paid out in cash, at his present salary no less.  

Almost makes me wish I wasn't in the private sector....


They changed retirement systems....your Pop must be under civil service retirement. He gets to count all his sick time as service and retire earlier with the time in, too I think...they changed all that. So before I retire I'm predicting an extended vacation followed by illness. In about 20 years or so unless a particuarly sweet self-employment opportunity wanders along.