The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: V-Adore on May 05, 2004, 02:13:36 am
-
I think if I were into endorsing this comic in shirt form, I'd end up going with I Am Ten Ninjas. But really, my real life has sufficient sleazy-indie-kids-fascinated-with-*****s content that I rarely end up reading DS.
I'm seriously considering buying a friend of mine the "Nothing Is Any Good If Other People Like It" shirt, just because he actually is Indie Rock Pete in terms of his generalized tastes.
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.
-
I think if I were into endorsing this comic in shirt form, I'd end up going with I Am Ten Ninjas. But really, my real life has sufficient sleazy-indie-kids-fascinated-with-*****s content that I rarely end up reading DS.
I'm seriously considering buying a friend of mine the "Nothing Is Any Good If Other People Like It" shirt, just because he actually is Indie Rock Pete in terms of his generalized tastes.
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.
In principle I agree with you but Merriam-Webster (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=ninja) says it's okay and Ninja Burger (http://www.ninjaburger.com/order/how.shtml) uses it at least once so I'm going to have to say rstevens done okay with this one.
-
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.
Of course "ninjas" is a word. You are speaking English, people. "Tacos" is a word. "Pizzas" is a word. "Iguanas" is a word... Don't get me started.
-
"Tacos" is a word.
If you put "taco" into Google's image search, there's a picture of me on the first page.
EDIT: Well, it used to be on the first page; now it's coming up on the fourth or so.
-
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.
Of course "ninjas" is a word. You are speaking English, people. "Tacos" is a word. "Pizzas" is a word. "Iguanas" is a word... Don't get me started.
now i want a t-shirt that says "i am the illegitimate child of 10 (ten) ninjas".
-
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.
Of course "ninjas" is a word. You are speaking English, people. "Tacos" is a word. "Pizzas" is a word. "Iguanas" is a word... Don't get me started.
Yes, but if I failed to be pretentious for just one day, who knows what possible harm might be done to the world?!
You'll all thank me one day. Really.
In any event, the stickers are awesome, and I may buy one. LEGITIMATE
-
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word.
This brings up an interesting point. There are actually a few different kind of adherents to Ninjitsu. They semantically distinct only by pluralization. A few examples:
Ninja - Deadly thieves and assassins. Because they most often work alone, the plural form is the same as the singular. "I saw two ninja arguing."
Ninjas - These are the ones that come in packs of fifty and fight American heroes usually one at a time. "That heroic American just aced about a zillion ninjas."
Ninjae - These are the ones that can disguise themselves as anything. "If your table is a ninja in disguise, chances are your chairs are also ninjae."
Ninjas's - This caste encompasses Ninja Turtles and unruly computer hackers with healthy fantasy lives. "jOO were t0ta11y 0wn3d by th3 d34dly Ninjas's"
-
Ninja
I would always tend to use ninja as the plural. There are two reasons, those being that to adhere to it's language you wouldn't put an s on the end to pluralise, and because I think ninja are so damn cool!
Ninjae just seems, wrong in every conceivable way, particularly since you are essentially melding Japanese and Latin.
But... yes...
-
Speaking of ninja(s)(ae)(i)(whatever):
http://www.realultimatepower.net
Just in case you didn't know.
-
Speaking of ninja(s)(ae)(i)(whatever):
http://www.realultimatepower.net
Just in case you didn't know.
Your ninjren totally kicked my computer right in the mouth. I'm not clicking on that again.
-
Man, all this talk about ninjaciousness is making me want to go watch The Hunted* again.
* The one with Christopher Lambert and John Lone, not that Tommy Lee Jones in-the-woods thing.
-
Next week's debate: The use of fairy/fairie/faerie at Ren Faires.
And don't miss, in two weeks: can you say "nauseous" to mean "affected with nausea" or not.
Don't miss it!
Also, I now feel compelled to go read the first 5 or so issues of The Tick. "Move along, we are just a hedge."
-
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word.
This brings up an interesting point. There are actually a few different kind of adherents to Ninjitsu. They semantically distinct only by pluralization. A few examples:
Ninja - Deadly thieves and assassins. Because they most often work alone, the plural form is the same as the singular. "I saw two ninja arguing."
Ninjas - These are the ones that come in packs of fifty and fight American heroes usually one at a time. "That heroic American just aced about a zillion ninjas."
Ninjae - These are the ones that can disguise themselves as anything. "If your table is a ninja in disguise, chances are your chairs are also ninjae."
Ninjas's - This caste encompasses Ninja Turtles and unruly computer hackers with healthy fantasy lives. "jOO were t0ta11y 0wn3d by th3 d34dly Ninjas's"
Pedro, I think I love you. In a strictly platonic sense, but the sentiment still holds.
I had not heard "ninjae" before, but it's classy for a non-world.
-
http://www.realultimatepower.net
Just in case you didn't know.
Where's the bit about the ninja playing the guitar? I can't find it.
-
In principle I agree with you but Merriam-Webster (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=ninja) says it's okay and Ninja Burger (http://www.ninjaburger.com/order/how.shtml) uses it at least once so I'm going to have to say rstevens done okay with this one.
On the other hand, the Ninja Burger RPG sourcebook states that any player using the word "ninjas" is immediately dishonored and must lop off one of his remaining fingers if any. The plot thickens! Or maybe not.
-
Also, I now feel compelled to go read the first 5 or so issues of The Tick. "Move along, we are just a hedge."
Mostly because I object to the new regime of splitting threads that wander, I feel compelled to remind everyone that there is a capybara in The Tick.
Not that I have ever seen or read this work myself, despite the authoritativeness with which I make this pronouncement. Someone needs to tell me where to buy it.
-
In principle I agree with you but Merriam-Webster (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=ninja) says it's okay and Ninja Burger (http://www.ninjaburger.com/order/how.shtml) uses it at least once so I'm going to have to say rstevens done okay with this one.
On the other hand, the Ninja Burger RPG sourcebook states that any player using the word "ninjas" is immediately dishonored and must lop off one of his remaining fingers if any. The plot thickens! Or maybe not.
Actually I could only find "ninjas" on that one page I linked. On the rest of the site they consistently use "ninja" as a plural. So maybe it was a typo. Or maybe the lack of updates is because the webmaster was forced to commit seppuku for allowing such a mistake.
Also, I now feel compelled to go read the first 5 or so issues of The Tick. "Move along, we are just a hedge."
Mostly because I object to the new regime of splitting threads that wander, I feel compelled to remind everyone that there is a capybara in The Tick.
Not that I have ever seen or read this work myself, despite the authoritativeness with which I make this pronouncement. Someone needs to tell me where to buy it.
It was only on the cartoon show, not in the comic. Fox has yet to release it on DVD and the VHS is out of print. Speak did appear on some t-shirts as well.
-
Next week's debate: The use of fairy/fairie/faerie at Ren Faires.
at risk of bringing this discussion to something other than the correct plural form of ninja, i thought i would say that i think "færie" would be pronounced differently than "fairy" or "fairie" based on what i have observed on the pronunciation of the letter æ. of course i'm assuming here that "faerie" was actually meant to be "færie" . . .
so anyway, æ is pronounced as a hard E every time i've seen it, so it wouldn't sound the same as ai, which is a hard A.
back to the topic of putting an 's' at the end of a word when you shouldn't, i feel the need to point out that m-w.com also says that 'anyways' is a word, when clearly it is not.
-
In principle I agree with you but Merriam-Webster (http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=ninja) says it's okay and Ninja Burger (http://www.ninjaburger.com/order/how.shtml) uses it at least once so I'm going to have to say rstevens done okay with this one.
On the other hand, the Ninja Burger RPG sourcebook states that any player using the word "ninjas" is immediately dishonored and must lop off one of his remaining fingers if any. The plot thickens! Or maybe not.
Actually I could only find "ninjas" on that one page I linked. On the rest of the site they consistently use "ninja" as a plural. So maybe it was a typo. Or maybe the lack of updates is because the webmaster was forced to commit seppuku for allowing such a mistake.
Also, I now feel compelled to go read the first 5 or so issues of The Tick. "Move along, we are just a hedge."
Mostly because I object to the new regime of splitting threads that wander, I feel compelled to remind everyone that there is a capybara in The Tick.
Not that I have ever seen or read this work myself, despite the authoritativeness with which I make this pronouncement. Someone needs to tell me where to buy it.
It was only on the cartoon show, not in the comic. Fox has yet to release it on DVD and the VHS is out of print. Speak did appear on some t-shirts as well.
Lately, I have noticed Naked Mole Rats getting a lot of pop culture face time, too. Kim Possible has one for a sidekick and I saw a large group of them on a really strange Cartoon Network show that was on after my current favorite, Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
-
Next week's debate: The use of fairy/fairie/faerie at Ren Faires.
at risk of bringing this discussion to something other than the correct plural form of ninja, i thought i would say that i think "færie" would be pronounced differently than "fairy" or "fairie" based on what i have observed on the pronunciation of the letter æ. of course i'm assuming here that "faerie" was actually meant to be "færie" . . .
so anyway, æ is pronounced as a hard E every time i've seen it, so it wouldn't sound the same as ai, which is a hard A.
back to the topic of putting an 's' at the end of a word when you shouldn't, i feel the need to point out that m-w.com also says that 'anyways' is a word, when clearly it is not.
I believe in greek ae is pronounced as a hard e but in latin it's a hard a. Which is why aegis (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=aegis&x=0&y=0) is listed with two correct pronunciations.
At least they list anyways as dialect/archaic.
-
So much to catch up on, we are busy bees today.
1. People who spell it 'faerie' should be slapped. This is not a prescriptive grammar point - it's just that observation has shown that people who do this, are inevitably people who need to be slapped.
2. Can anyone tell me what VHS episodes of The Tick have the capybara in them so I can look for them on ebay and such? While I am still unemployed and have time to look (since this is, it is to be hoped, a temporary state.)
3. TSHIRTS? OH god, why did you tell me this?
4. The naked mole rat on Kim Possible is a Bad Thing. You should not lead children to believe a pet naked mole rat is even a remote possibility. You could not keep one naked mole rat - one naked mole rat taken away from its colony will die. I am an Unemployed Small Mammal Professional and I say so. End of lecture number 1.
5. People say 'anyways' all the time. Therefore it is a word. I have a PhD in Linguistics and I say so. Indulge me, since right now the PhD and $1.25 will get me on the subway and that's about it. I expect the urge that it gives me to be a messageboard curmudgeon will eventually fade. End of lecture number 2.
You'll all be relieved to hear I have to go out for a while now, and you can hope I won't have time to catch up when I get back.
-
now, ninjas are cool.
but,,,
naked mole rat ninjas on aquateen hunger force fighting fairy capybaras because they lost their indie-rock cred due to persistent online pedantry is the coolest.
and by coolest i mean, IT IS RAD. i think.
-
5. People say 'anyways' all the time. Therefore it is a word. I have a PhD in Linguistics and I say so. Indulge me, since right now the PhD and $1.25 will get me on the subway and that's about it. I expect the urge that it gives me to be a messageboard curmudgeon will eventually fade. End of lecture number 2.
You and I are going to get married. It's going to be a tough break for the fiancee, but she'll get over it.
-
1. People who spell it 'faerie' should be slapped. This is not a prescriptive grammar point - it's just that observation has shown that people who do this, are inevitably people who need to be slapped.
i very much agree with this statement.
-
So much to catch up on, we are busy bees today.
2. Can anyone tell me what VHS episodes of The Tick have the capybara in them so I can look for them on ebay and such? While I am still unemployed and have time to look (since this is, it is to be hoped, a temporary state.)
3. TSHIRTS? OH god, why did you tell me this?
I've found a Speak episode list (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Heights/5139/Tick/speak.html) but I must warn you, it's on Geocities and it really, really, really looks like it belongs on Geocities. Plus there is a background wav and a background midi when you get there. You've been warned.
The only Speak (http://www.newenglandcomics.com/cgi-bin/shop/search.cgi?user_id=2324&database=tick.csv&template=details.htm&0_option=1&0=NSP05449) shirt left.
-
4. The naked mole rat on Kim Possible is a Bad Thing. You should not lead children to believe a pet naked mole rat is even a remote possibility. You could not keep one naked mole rat - one naked mole rat taken away from its colony will die. I am an Unemployed Small Mammal Professional and I say so. End of lecture number 1.
Next you'll tell me that they can't talk or kick bad guys in the balls or time travel or hit people with a stick or any of that stuff. Give kids a little more credit than that... seriously.
What?? No lecture on the implausibility of Meatwad, Frylock, and Master Shake living next door to a hairy italian in Jersey? A man-sized container of Fries with a goatee and prehensile fries that blasts electricity from his eyes really exists?? COOL!
That said, yes, please slap all cape wearing Faerie speaking idgets back to wherever they came from. Then throw Stevie Nicks in there too, and lock the door. Our next mission: we eradicate the earth of sensitive trailer-dwelling white women who "really see angels flying around them". Smash their music boxes. Take away their buying privileges on QVC. Disconnect their webTV or AOL, whichever they are using.
-
Saving the internet one cretinous group at a time!
It's too late. That one September never ended. We are now over run by the ninjas's. You can only save yourself.
-
Give kids a little more credit than that... seriously.
I would, if only people (kids and adults both) weren't so clueless about what animals can be pets. I can't tell you how many people ask if tamarins make good pets. If you knew the tiniest first thing about monkeys you wouldn't need to ask. There's certainly no reason to think those people know the tiniest first thing about mole rats either. And there's no reason to think that unscrupulous animal dealers wouldn't take advantage of that.
-
You and I are going to get married. It's going to be a tough break for the fiancee, but she'll get over it.
Maybe we can match her up with my husband?
-
I would, if only people (kids and adults both) weren't so clueless about what animals can be pets. I can't tell you how many people ask if tamarins make good pets. If you knew the tiniest first thing about monkeys you wouldn't need to ask. There's certainly no reason to think those people know the tiniest first thing about mole rats either. And there's no reason to think that unscrupulous animal dealers wouldn't take advantage of that.
I don't care, I still want a pygmy marmoset (http://www.bookofratings.com/apesandmonkeys.html).
-
If/when I become a mad millionaire/supervillain/genius (or at least can borrow money from one), I may very well have a pet naked mole rat colony. Perhaps hiring mole-rat wranglers.
I can do it like the stereotypical giant-glass-walled-aquarium-in-the-bad-guy's-mansion, except with mole rats!
-
If/when I become a mad millionaire/supervillain/genius (or at least can borrow money from one), I may very well have a pet naked mole rat colony. Perhaps hiring mole-rat wranglers.
I can do it like the stereotypical giant-glass-walled-aquarium-in-the-bad-guy's-mansion, except with mole rats!
That would be a good way to dispose of pesky heroes if only naked mole rats were the bitingest.
-
I don't care, I still want a pygmy marmoset (http://www.bookofratings.com/apesandmonkeys.html).
Oh, just linking to that is not enough:
This is the smallest monkey in the world. It's tiny! Ladies and gentlemen, this is a hand-held monkey! The applications boggle the very mind. To begin with, you could use it to distract anyone from anything. "Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!" It would be a lot like those old comic book ads where superheroes defeat one-shot villains with fruit pies, only better. Because it would have a monkey.
It is true. I don't even really like monkeys, but I would have pet pygmy marmosets in a minute. But, most people still shouldn't try this at home.
-
Perhaps hiring mole-rat wranglers.
Well if you can become a millionaire soon... I do need a job.
-
Give kids a little more credit than that... seriously.
I would, if only people (kids and adults both) weren't so clueless about what animals can be pets. I can't tell you how many people ask if tamarins make good pets. If you knew the tiniest first thing about monkeys you wouldn't need to ask. There's certainly no reason to think those people know the tiniest first thing about mole rats either. And there's no reason to think that unscrupulous animal dealers wouldn't take advantage of that.
People are assholes. I would rather hang out with a Golden Lion Tamarind myself, given the chance. The problem here is the unscrupulous animal dealers, not the cartoons or the unwashed idiots with more money than common sense (although they are on my list, after the faerie people, the lonely 'angel seers', people who actually pay for Emmitt Kelly figurines, and first the customers and then the publishers of both the Harriet Carter and Fingerhut catalogues, because the fart joke items have gone far enough.)
-
I don't feel like cutting and pasting, so there will be no quotes herein.
1. Naked mole rats? Can you fry 'em up good and tasty?
2. "Anyways" a word? Well, I suppose in the sense that any set of phonemes that people use to convey meaning is a word. OK, it's a word. It's just a lousy, ignorant, skeezy word that well-spoken people do not use.
-
Unlike, say, "skeezy."
-
Exactly. "Skeezy" is an evocative neologism packed with imagery. "Anyways" is just lazy talk.
-
Perhaps hiring mole-rat wranglers.
Well if you can become a millionaire soon... I do need a job.
Let me put it this way: the minute I have the money to hire anyone with mole-rat-related qualifications, you're in.
-
You know what I've always wanted to do?
You know how Jane Goodall lived with monkeys for all those years? I'm gonna do the same thing, but with sloths.
Can't you see it? Me, sitting on a couch I hoisted on to a tree, smoking up and watching old episodes of Sifl & Olly, next to a sloth. I can just imagine the grant proposal sessions.
"Why...why would you need a Hibachi? In the jungle? With SLOTHS?"
"Oh, man, it's the best. Me and the sloths? We gonna be GRILLIN', man! All shrimps for me, all leaves for them, all throwing back Guiness draft stylez and throwin' the empties to the jungle floor!"
Seriously, who wouldn't want to kick it with him (http://sloths.org/slothbab.html)? Imagine him wearing a stocking hat, listening to the Beastie Boy's seminal License to Ill.
-
1. Naked mole rats? Can you fry 'em up good and tasty?
Naah, too many little bones. Not worth the trouble.
2. Well, I suppose in the sense that any set of phonemes that people use to convey meaning is a word.
YES please. Of course you can hate anything you want, but that doesn't make it not a word, or not a person, or not a food, etc. Please?
-
You know what I've always wanted to do?
You know how Jane Goodall lived with monkeys for all those years? I'm gonna do the same thing, but with sloths.
Oh yeah. Sloths are the best. Of course I have a prejudice in favor of the two-toed. They would like it if you would bring some grapes and oranges to the party too. I don't know about the Guinness.
-
Man, any animal named after a Deadly Sin is more than fine by me.
-
You and I are going to get married. It's going to be a tough break for the fiancee, but she'll get over it.
Maybe we can match her up with my husband?
That would probably be best.
-
Aug - frying may not be the answer, but if you simmer them long enough the meat falls off the bones and you get a lovely naked mole rat stew.
-
Mmmm.... braised naked mole rat.
Do you serve red or white wine with rodent?
-
Capybaras and guinea pigs are supposed to take like pork, so perhaps red wine is what goes with rodent.
-
I would imagine they might also have a bit of a gamey taste, so maybe a Zinfandel or Shiraz would be a better choice.
Most of the cuisines that actually use 'non traditional' meats aren't wine countries anyhow. Jeffrey Starr, executive chef of Trinchero Family Estates (an acquaintance at best) suggests beer with foods that don't lend themeselves to wine matching.
Wine guys will tell you it takes a lot of beer to make good wine.
-
I would imagine they might also have a bit of a gamey taste, so maybe a Zinfandel or Shiraz would be a better choice.
Depending on if I'm the only one who still can't drink Zinfandel because of what Ray purportedly does with it recreationally.
-
I was going to try for the (coveted?) most splitted thread series award* by slicing the capybara/AquaTeen/marriage-swapping stuff into its own thread, but Yikes! this thread is so merged and intermingled I can't figure out if it's even possible.
Oh, well, carry on. If there's too much veering, I'll just lock it. You can start new threads; you don't need this to be the one which continues.
*This thread, need I remind you, was split from "Walking Erect," which I will now check for moderative purposes.