The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on May 06, 2004, 10:01:45 pm

Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Asherdan on May 06, 2004, 10:01:45 pm
(https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---uBhIrEa--/oqil2ysvksn6vmluk2of.gif)
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Mite on May 06, 2004, 10:14:50 pm
Whatever happened to wheaties and scotch?

Have you tried crepes with fruit? It's yummy.  I'm a fan of the breakfast burrito and huevos rancheros, as well. Don't forget the grits!
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2004, 10:26:19 pm
Limited?  I would weep with gratitude if I got something off that list twice a week.  When I'm done marrying Nabu can I marry you?

However I do have a favorite recipe that I will post later.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: andalucia on May 06, 2004, 11:03:35 pm
When I actually do breakfast beyond coffee and Tylenol, I'm a big fan of grapefruit.  With brown sugar if I am feeling particularly extravagant.

Ugh... when did I start being a sickly, embittered professional type?
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2004, 11:56:30 pm
This recipe is from a book by John Thorne who has a website http://www.outlawcook.com/ that I probably ought to remember to look at more than once or twice a year, even though he is kind of annoying.  It has a whole section on stuff for breakfast, incidentally.

Breakfast Clafoutis

Fruit: 6 oz berries or 12 oz cherries, peaches or plums
Cherries should be pitted and cut in half, peaches and plums cut up.
I really only ever do it with cherries, so can't vouch for the other possibilities.  You want to prepare the cherries the night before or breakfast will seem painfully late.

Melt 1 T butter in an ovenproof skillet or similar thing, I use something that's deeper than a skillet for fear of spillage. Saute the fruit and a little sugar till soft.

While it's sauteeing you want to combine:
1/2 c flour
1/4 salt
2 T sugar
2 eggs
1 c milk

Beat the eggs and milk together; combine the dry ingredients.
He says to add the wet ingredients to the dry very slowly, combining with a whisk.  I do it the other way, sifting the dry into the wet.  The trick is not to end up with lumps, which is a little hard when it's so much wet and so little dry, so pay attention.

Pour this batter over the fruit and put the skillet in a 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  It will get all puffy and browned.

You can top with sour cream (or yogurt) or confectioner's sugar although to me that is gilding the lily.
The original recipe puts some lemon zest in the batter.  I found this nasty but you might feel differently.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: slink on May 07, 2004, 12:23:42 am
That's the sound of me remembering how much I love clafouti.
Thanks for reminding me how much I have to make a good plumb clafouti real soon now.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 07, 2004, 01:44:28 pm
It's time for breakfast burritos.

Rustle up any or all of the following:  scrambled eggs, fried taters, black beans, crumbled cooked sausage.  Warm up a big flour tortilla, and slap that stuff in there.  Slather on some grated cheese and some salsa.  Rolllllllllllllll it up.  Eat.  Repeat if necessary.

Dammit now I'm hungry.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2004, 09:14:39 pm
Black coffee, bourbon, and Vicodin.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 10, 2004, 09:51:49 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

The original recipe puts some lemon zest in the batter.  I found this nasty but you might feel differently.


Sounds like you got a little rind in there with your zest.... Unless you don't like lemon. Try a bit of lemon extract. I think that could be nice in the batter if it's little enough not to get into the fruit.  I put a little lemon extract in the french toast batter, along with nutmeg and vanilla. It adds a nice little thing to it. Orange would be good as well...

What is the origin of Clafouti? It sounds like some kind of arab head garment.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: wombat on May 10, 2004, 11:28:52 pm
I think Clafoutis is singular, not plural.  It is a French dish, normally served for dessert.  I haven't looked closely at any other recipes for it, so I don't know how he changed it to make it count as breakfast - I think it may just be less rich, like with milk instead of cream, but I'm not sure.  But hey, dessert for breakfast, who can argue?

I like lemon, but it just didn't seem to go with this. I am that sort of person who does not like different foods to touch on my plate - it is typical for me to prefer fewer ingredients in anything.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2004, 01:26:35 am
When I was in the throes of Atkins (I'm off the wagon...) my breakfast would usually consist of two packages of thin sliced turkey or chicken.  You know, the 39 cent Carl Buddig ones.  Generally, I ate them whole -- i.e. not peeling individual slices off, but scarfing chunks.  Lowcarbilicious!
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: V-Adore on May 11, 2004, 03:35:54 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
When I was in the throes of Atkins (I'm off the wagon...) my breakfast would usually consist of two packages of thin sliced turkey or chicken.  You know, the 39 cent Carl Buddig ones.  Generally, I ate them whole -- i.e. not peeling individual slices off, but scarfing chunks.  Lowcarbilicious!

I'm sorry, man, but this is in fact the breakfast of Homer Simpson. (Yes, technically individually-wrapped cheese food slices would have to be involved, but humor me here.)
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2004, 04:25:00 am
Nuh-uh.  I have it on very good authority that doughnuts are the breakfast of Homer Simpson.

So there.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Nabubrush on May 11, 2004, 01:32:02 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Nuh-uh.  I have it on very good authority that doughnuts are the breakfast of Homer Simpson.

So there.

"But I'm so sweet and tasty."
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Choop on May 26, 2004, 04:58:32 pm
La Frittata
------------

Basic recipe:

5 eggs
1/2 cup milk or half&half, or 1/4 heavy cream and 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup $FAVORITE_CHEESE
Black pepper
Salt

10" or 11" Non-stick, oven-safe pan
Heat-resistant rubber spatula

Beat all but the butter together in a bowl or measuring cup. Warm the pan on medium-high, then coat with the butter. As soon as it melts, add the egg mixture. Unlike an omelet(te) or scramble, don't move the pan around or move the eggs around in the pan. Pop any bubbles that appear and scoot the edges of the cooked egg in toward the center, leaning the pan slightly to allow the liquid to fill in the cracks and gaps. When the eggs have begun to set, but before they are solid (about 5 minutes), add the cheese and pop under the broiler until the top is golden brown.

Enhancements:

- Add some basil and thyme to the beaten mixture. Later, before adding the cheese (recommended: Jarlsberg), sprinkle with diced tomato and arrange baby asparagus around the top.
- Instead of butter, cook a few slices of bacon in the pan, then remove and add the egg mixture. Chop the bacon and add back in immediately. Top with a cheddar-pesto mixture.
- Dill and ground fennel seed; diced ham with broccoli florets, swiss cheese.
- You get the idea.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: side_show on May 26, 2004, 06:06:19 pm
I like a nice bannana bread muffin for breakfast.  I have a great reciepe for these.

Eggs benidict is very tasty, and if it's "bad for you heart" type goodness you're looking for this is the way to go.

Also, one thing that's great to do once (and only once) is to indulge your inner child with a buffet of highly sugared children's cereals.  I did this shortly after moving out on my own.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: jough on May 26, 2004, 07:02:15 pm
Last week there was a chef on Letterman who made a $1,000 fritatta (with about a pound and a half of caviar on top - it looked really silly).

Anyway, add 1.5 lbs of caviar to make yourself a $1,000 variant on this fritatta recipe (which I will be trying tomorrow).
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 26, 2004, 08:45:36 pm
I saw this of Fark last week; further demonstrating the occasional inverse relationship between amount of money and amount of common sense.

'Mirror' boss becomes first man to gobble 1,000 dollar omlette!
London | May 20, 2004 2:36:00 PM IST
 
The US Editor of Mirror, Anthony Harwood, is the first man to eat the world's most expensive omlette worth 1,000 dollars.

According to The Mirror, when Anthony started eating the giant omlette named 'Zillion Dollar Frittata', a waitress walked round the room at New York's Le Parker Meridien Hotel ringing a bell to herald the historic event.

The entire restaurant stopped as Harwood sat down in front of the grand omlette overflowing with sevruga caviar, with a shot of chilled vodka to a round of applause.

The famous omlette had 10 ounces of giraffe eggs and 1lb 8 ounces of lobster on a bed of fried potatoes.

The Hotel manager Steven Pipes said that Emile Castillo, a chef at Meridien Hotel, created the unique dish.

"This started as a Lobster Frittata. We experimented by putting in some caviar and it was delicious. So, we decided to go over the top and create the most expensive omlette in the world," the report quoted Pipes as saying.

Interestingly, Hollywood hunk Sylvester Stallone had turned down an offer to have the most expensive breakfast in the world.

"Does that come with a liver transplant because you're gonna need it. You feel like you're eating a generation of sturgeon, so I'd feel a bit guilty," Stallone was quoted as saying.

However, soon after Anthony finished, the 51-year-old Emile came out of the kitchen. And said, "You finished it? Wow!"

The 'Zillion Dollar Frittata' was made up of the following ingredients:

(1) 6 eggs

2) 1 tbsp chopped chives

3) 1.5 tbsps butter

4) 1 lobster

5) 5 tbsps double cream

6) 10 ounces of sevruga caviar(ANI)
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Nabubrush on May 27, 2004, 09:09:20 pm
That's just too much fuck*ng food for breakfast.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: side_show on May 27, 2004, 09:35:21 pm
Why is there no explaination as to why they wanted Stallone to eat it?  Is there supposed to be some sort of logical connection that I'm missing out on?  I mean, I haven't seen every Rocky movie, but... what?  Did they think, "hey, we're making something to eat that's totally illogical, but do you know what would be even more illiogical? Even more insane?  If we involved Sylvester Stallone."  What the hell?  I mean what. the. hell?!
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 27, 2004, 09:38:52 pm
He does drink the raw eggs in Rocky. But he's in too good of shape for this.

I think they should get Michael Moore to eat it. Since Chris Farley and John Candy are dead, anyhow. How about Marlon Brando?

I know who I want to see it it: John Kruk. He's my hero for an everyguy ex-baseball player.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: V-Adore on May 27, 2004, 09:43:27 pm
See, my question is why you had to get ocean-bug and giraffe eggs into what would otherwise be a respectably huge egg-and-potato-and-cheese thing. Why do people eat grotesque things just because they're heinously expensive? Is this the whole "dijon ketchup" thing?
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 27, 2004, 09:49:23 pm
What's Dijon ketchup?

Also, the earth is what, 80% covered with water? Doesn't it make more sense to use that resource as much as possible? A chicken has one hole in the bottom of it and you eat THOSE eggs...so why not caviar? Maybe not endangered species caviar, but really...

And lobster = yummy in my book every time.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: V-Adore on May 27, 2004, 10:13:11 pm
I'm not arguing that we shouldn't eat things that come from the ocean -- we should eat more giraffe, and I will allow the tastes of those who enjoy arthropods and bivalves and such. I'm just bitching at randomly putting things onto otherwise-entirely-palatable food just because it's expensive.

(I'm sorry, I don't get lobster. It's just not goddamn worth the effort.)
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: CortJstr on May 27, 2004, 10:37:45 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(I'm sorry, I don't get lobster. It's just not goddamn worth the effort.)

By "lobster" I'm assuming you mean "giant sea cockroach." Don't get me wrong, I'll wolf down as much lobster sushi as the next guy but they're still gross looking and in general I prefer crab.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: jay-ell on May 28, 2004, 12:18:00 am
I'm allergic to all of 'em, so I couldn't care less.  I used to really like seafood, but it's made me ill so many times that I've developed an aversion to anything that smells vaguely giraffey.  (Hold your tongue, Jough.)  I can do giraffe sticks (since we all know there's no actual giraffe in those anyway) and tuna salad, but that's about it.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: V-Adore on May 28, 2004, 12:38:21 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(I'm sorry, I don't get lobster. It's just not goddamn worth the effort.)

By "lobster" I'm assuming you mean "giant sea cockroach." Don't get me wrong, I'll wolf down as much lobster sushi as the next guy but they're still gross looking and in general I prefer crab.

I got out of lobster for two big reasons:
1) It involves way, way too much dissecting and disassembling effort for relatively little meaty payoff; and
2) I cannot deal with having a whole animal, complete with tiny beady eyes, sitting on my plate and watching me eat it. This goes double for the fact that it is a giant underwater bug, chitinous and all.

Crab is good, though. Man, I could go for some crab.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: andalucia on May 28, 2004, 02:11:01 am
Lobsters are my Favourite Thing, in the way that I think they are utterly rad, not in the way that I would ever consider them edible, let alone delectable.  I stopped eating meat when I was 9, though, and at that point I was too picky to have considered them potential food, so my opinion's relatively unsubstantiated.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AugustWest on May 28, 2004, 02:56:54 am
We eat these things because they are delicious.

Duh.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: arkabee on May 28, 2004, 02:42:19 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I'm allergic to all of 'em, so I couldn't care less.  I used to really like seafood, but it's made me ill so many times that I've developed an aversion to anything that smells vaguely giraffey.  (Hold your tongue, Jough.)  I can do giraffe sticks (since we all know there's no actual giraffe in those anyway) and tuna salad, but that's about it.


i'm not allergic, unless "reacting to the smell and sight of most aquatic food-stuffs results in naseuaueuauau and or a tiny little bit of throw up" is an allergy.

oddly, i like calimari, and the giraffe-sticks are so good they should be called giraffe-stixors.  i go through giraffe stick binges, though.  like, eat a box of giraffe sticks for dinner and not want anymore for 2 months.

there's something inately wonderful about the concept of food made out of the OIL of a creature.  mmmmm, giraffe oil and cardboard.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Nabubrush on June 01, 2004, 03:29:22 pm
I don't have time to be getting my food out of the ocean. I might as well get my food from space.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 01, 2004, 06:19:00 pm
I don't have time to grow or herd mine, either.

I just go to the store.
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: Bozack on June 02, 2004, 03:00:19 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
We eat these things because they are delicious.


Isn't that a Germs album?
Title: The Breakfast of...err...Not Champions
Post by: St_Zartan on June 02, 2004, 03:25:53 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Isn't that a Germs album?


I thought that was "We Smear These Things Upon Our Body Because They Are Delicious", the first disc in the Bulletproof Punk Cred For Those Born After 1985 box set.

FUN FACT! The disc is actually seventy minutes of George Plimpton reading the Trouser Press entries for the "most influential punk bands" of the late-70's / early-80's and, as such, is far more entertaining and worthwhile than any musical compilation of said assembled bodies.