The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Flenker on May 09, 2004, 04:21:44 am

Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Flenker on May 09, 2004, 04:21:44 am
also a runner up for thread title, Creamy guitar solo

I laughed out loud on this one.  could be me inebriated state.  or not.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: V-Adore on May 09, 2004, 04:30:11 am
You really have to get over this "posting drunk" thing.

Anyway, this is funny but feels somehow off. It reminds me of the Seven-Kinky strip, honestly -- there's something just a little wrong about it.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: jough on May 09, 2004, 07:20:08 am
Isaak's awesome.

Did anyone else watch his teevee show?
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: andalucia on May 09, 2004, 03:07:54 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
POMP-A-DORRRRRRR!

HA HA HAHA HA!


This was essentially my reaction as well.  As the title indicates, I'm a fan.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: V-Adore on May 09, 2004, 03:52:34 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Isaak's awesome.

Did anyone else watch his teevee show?

I think I only saw one episode -- the one that basically rehashed the old urban legend about the dead rabbit. He did seem like a pretty charming guy, though, and what I've heard of his music I like a lot.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: pierced lemur on May 09, 2004, 10:00:30 pm
In the last panel, Roast Beef appears to be wearing #####.

Interesting.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: CortJstr on May 10, 2004, 01:08:42 am
So should I start keeping a pompador wig around the house for just such an occasion?
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 10, 2004, 02:20:41 am
This was a good one. Better be a one-off, though...

The clothes and wigs are awesome.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 10, 2004, 04:14:56 am
One time I wondered "Is it really cheesy that I really like that song? Or at least that part of the song..."

After this strip I am still unsure.

Edit: gave it a good listen and the verdict is no! It's a very good song, maybe great.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Noah on May 10, 2004, 09:07:29 am
Oh, wow. Ray and Beef are actually friends again. It's been a while since they've done anything but yell at each other.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: sjlimmer on May 10, 2004, 05:18:50 pm
Behold the power of the pompador.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Ben-San on May 10, 2004, 06:35:26 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
Oh, wow. Ray and Beef are actually friends again. It's been a while since they've done anything but yell at each other.


I'm pretty sure that if Ray and Beef's friendship couldn't survive something like the past couple weeks, they would've split up long ago. They don't seem exactly like the "harmonious for years on end" type.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on May 10, 2004, 08:18:09 pm
Stroke my pompador,
While I tell you about the problems I am having
With my car and my girlfriend.

-Frank Zappa, Thing giraffe
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Mantonio on May 11, 2004, 04:29:30 am
Leave it to Ray to be all proud about answering the phone naked.  I'm sure many of us have answered the phone while wearing the old birthday suit, but who would actually tell their best friend about it?
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: miles on May 11, 2004, 04:46:50 am
True true.  In fact, I'm naked right now.

I love Beef's reaction to Ray.  He doesn't call him a dumbass or totally disregard what he says.  It's kind of sweet, actually.  Beef's a good guy.

Quote from: "Mantonio"
Leave it to Ray to be all proud about answering the phone naked.  I'm sure many of us have answered the phone while wearing the old birthday suit, but who would actually tell their best friend about it?
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: miles on May 11, 2004, 04:52:01 am
And not just any pompadour.  Morrissey's pompadour!  One of the most beautiful things in this world.  Beef could pass for one of the members of his band.  That would kick ass.

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
POMP-A-DORRRRRRR!

HA HA HAHA HA!


This was essentially my reaction as well.  As the title indicates, I'm a fan.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: andalucia on May 11, 2004, 10:37:57 am
Quote from: "miles"
Morrissey's pompadour!  One of the most beautiful things in this world..


Johnny Marr totally always had the superior pompadour... I just chose Morrissey's for my title due to the... iconic value.
But yeah, the comic... it's good too.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2004, 03:56:07 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Leave it to Ray to be all proud about answering the phone naked.  I'm sure many of us have answered the phone while wearing the old birthday suit, but who would actually tell their best friend about it?

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/1F11).
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: slink on May 11, 2004, 04:19:05 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

Johnny Marr totally always had the superior pompadour...


If you will allow me to derail for just a moment, I was intrigued by the fact that one of the tracks on the new Tweaker (http://www.tweaker.net) album features Johnny Marr on guitar. I have always hated everything about The Smiths. Except possibly the endless possibilities for fine impressions and general mocking of Morrissey's voice (you have to understand that the 80's in the UK was made a whole lot more painful by The Smiths, also Human League, Erasure and a buttload of other shit bands).
So it's somewhat difficult to come to terms with Marr having done something I approve of!
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Nabubrush on May 11, 2004, 04:26:43 pm
What about Depeche Mode?
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: slink on May 11, 2004, 06:09:18 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
What about Depeche Mode?


Them too.
Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Joy Division (I think they were English, I can't remember) and Tears for Fears are all allowed off for the classics they wrote.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Nabubrush on May 11, 2004, 06:43:34 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Tears for Fears are . . . allowed off for the classic they wrote.

Oh my word no.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: jough on May 11, 2004, 06:54:55 pm
Dude, Tears For Fears had some great songs (and Slink, I'm just going to let you slide this ONE time on that Morrissey bashing):

Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Mad World
Pale Shelter
Head Over Heels

Just for those alone TFF will be remembered as a classic 80s band.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Nabubrush on May 11, 2004, 07:01:51 pm
Not to drive this thread off a cliff or anything, but to clarify I just thought it was amusing to see the bands on those lists - TFF good, Smiths bad. That's all I meant, is that the comparison amused me. Pay me no mind, I've just been to the vets to get tutored.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 11, 2004, 07:20:16 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
What about Depeche Mode?


Them too.
Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Joy Division (I think they were English, I can't remember) and Tears for Fears are all allowed off for the classics they wrote.


WHAM!
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Nabubrush on May 11, 2004, 07:42:43 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
What about Depeche Mode?


Them too.
Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Joy Division (I think they were English, I can't remember) and Tears for Fears are all allowed off for the classics they wrote.


WHAM!

See, this is what I mean - are they on the list, or are they allowed off?
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2004, 07:49:42 pm
Flock o' Seagulls?  Orchestral Manouevers in the Basement?
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: andalucia on May 11, 2004, 08:15:37 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Mad World


My stars, yes.  Also, the cover of the 45 of this that I have is the Best Thing Ever.  They are all dressed in black, all staring moodily at ducks.  It rocks.  I am very sad that the Internet is not finding me a picture of it.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: slink on May 11, 2004, 08:58:27 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

WHAM!

See, this is what I mean - are they on the list, or are they allowed off?


Oh. No. God no. Wham need to be obliterated from all memory ever. They never had a good song. Not even remotely.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: jough on May 11, 2004, 09:18:21 pm
Um, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go is awesome.

Man, Slink, you just don't know what good is.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: jough on May 11, 2004, 09:25:53 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "jough"
Mad World


My stars, yes.  Also, the cover of the 45 of this that I have is the Best Thing Ever.  They are all dressed in black, all staring moodily at ducks.  It rocks.  I am very sad that the Internet is not finding me a picture of it.


(http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/cb/7a/be_1_b.JPG)

That's from eBay - and it's for sale.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Bozack on May 11, 2004, 10:03:38 pm
Well, I knew it would come up eventually. *sigh*

(http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Bozack/657424_m.jpg)

BECAUSE MEEEEAAAT IS MURDERRRR!
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: andalucia on May 11, 2004, 10:32:10 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Um, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go is awesome.

Man, Slink, you just don't know what good is.


I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I was hoping it would be said.  And many thanks for finding that picture.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 11, 2004, 10:42:47 pm
Jitterbug! <snap> <snap> Jitterbug!

What about Fine Young Cannibals! Crowded House! Wang Chung!

Actually, I loved all that British and European stuff back then (Rock Me, Amadeus!!) but looking back, I was blinded by the not-Americanness of it.

Lies Lies Lies Yeah! Lies Lies Lies Yeah!

I mean, we were coming out of Disco. There were a few guitar bands rocking away but the pop landscape was ripe for an invasion and we were ready to embrace all those moody,edgy Brits with the spiky hair and nifty accents. It was a nice day for a white wedding, after all.

I can't believe it! She's done it again! She's tidied up, and now I can't find ANYTHING!

SCIENCE!

The music, taken on it's own merits, was pretty poppy and throwaway in large part.  There were more one-hit wonders in the 80s, I am sure, than any other era of music. But it filled a need and I don't wanna hear nobody say nothin bad about 99 Luftballoons. Brings a tear to my eye, it does.

(American attempts, Debbie Gibson, Martika, and Tiffany all SUCKED. We needed all that import stuff to have SOMETHING to listen to).
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: slink on May 11, 2004, 11:08:15 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
But it filled a need and I don't wanna hear nobody say nothin bad about 99 Luftballoons. Brings a tear to my eye, it does.


Well, who could. That was another one on the list of greats. Along with say, Kids in America by Kim Wilde. There were a few, and most of them were groups who had one OK song that has kind of achieved greatness. Some of those songs were great however.

And that's not even getting onto English Beat and The Specials and shit. They were infinitely better than the plain old pop. And, see, when talking the 80s there were a remarkable amount of things of utter greatness, like Violent Femmes, Faith No More and NIN.
I guess it's that I have an intangible barrier laid down between the numerous shit bands, the ones who had a good song or two and thus are cool, and the truly great but still very 80s bands.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: V-Adore on May 11, 2004, 11:43:10 pm
I would attempt to wade through and actually pull quotes and cites, but I'm woozy. Allow me to just say this:

99 Luftballoons/99 Red Balloons, Kids in America, and the entire Thomas Dolby catalog are basically like treasure, and I will hear no maligning of them.

Not that there was really any going on, but there. I have spoken.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 11, 2004, 11:49:07 pm
And if you haven't been to the one-hit wonders room at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, being in that room is basically like treasure.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Nabubrush on May 12, 2004, 01:31:01 am
Crowded House, Tim and Neil, and Split Enz all rule.

And don't act like you don't get all choked up when you hear "Careless Whisper" because you do, and you know you do. You can lie to me, but don't lie to yourself.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Mantonio on May 12, 2004, 01:57:21 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would attempt to wade through and actually pull quotes and cites, but I'm woozy. Allow me to just say this:

99 Luftballoons/99 Red Balloons, Kids in America, and the entire Thomas Dolby catalog are basically like treasure, and I will hear no maligning of them.

Not that there was really any going on, but there. I have spoken.


I once knew a fellow who could play 99 luftballons on his accordion.  Also, he could play 8675309 Jenny and some other 80's hit's that escape me right now.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Mantonio on May 12, 2004, 01:59:48 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
What about Depeche Mode?


Them too.
Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Joy Division (I think they were English, I can't remember) and Tears for Fears are all allowed off for the classics they wrote.


WHAM!


Nope.  How about Men Without Hats?  You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind!  You can dance.  You can dance.  Everyone's out of control!

The Saftey Dance is definitely hella sweet.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: jough on May 12, 2004, 02:25:34 am
DOMO ARIGATO MR. *****O
HIMITSU WO SHIRI TAI!
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: andalucia on May 12, 2004, 02:36:27 am
Quote from: "jough"
DOMO ARIGATO MR. *****O
HIMITSU WO SHIRI TAI!


Props on the correct romanji.
Also, that song will forever be associated in my mind with my best friend, who I was dating at the time, dressing up in a homemade cardboard ***** costume to do karaeoke in front of the school right before my other friend did a 99 Red Balloons/ MC Hawking medley for her act.  
My friends are neat.
So are the 80's, and I would that I remembered them.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 12, 2004, 07:43:35 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"


The Safety Dance is definitely hella sweet.


Although perhaps the dumbest video ever made. By a guy in a cape with a RENFAIR bumper sticker no doubt.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Mantonio on May 13, 2004, 12:02:10 am
Oh, and don't forget A-ha, better known as the band that made Chucklebot gay.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 13, 2004, 12:39:59 am
I thought the Pet Shop Boys did that to him.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: pmcd9 on May 13, 2004, 04:33:53 am
Man, ya'll listen to some crappy music.  The Smiths are pretty good though.

~Paul
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: V-Adore on May 13, 2004, 05:13:43 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Man, ya'll listen to some crappy music.  The Smiths are pretty good though.

~Paul

Philistine! Philistine, I tell you!

Fine, then. I guess I'll have to hoard all the Thomas Dolby all for myself.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 13, 2004, 05:30:26 am
You do that over there and I'll keep all the Eurythmics stuff safe over here.

No one's mentioned the actual rockers that were trying to fight this cutesy electronic stuff. I call Lita Ford. Good GOD she was fine and awesome.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Bozack on May 13, 2004, 05:43:50 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I call Lita Ford. Good GOD she was fine and awesome.

Get your @$$ to your local comic shop and find a copy of "Scurvy Dogs" (http://www.scurvy-dogs.com), the greatest comic about pirates just hanging out that you can find. In the latest issue, the pirates use a cover band concert to win over the Hobo Mafia (don't even question it). The bands include: BANJOVIE! MOS DEF LEPPARD! WINGED (featuring original members of WINGER*), and the BATTLING DOUBLE COVER BANDS, GREAT WHITESNAKE AND RATT POISON! And featuring the Avenging Angel of Cover Rock, Ljita Fjord!


*the best moment in the comic:
Pirate 1:...That's actually Kip Winger, isn't it? Who's the guy singing?
Pirate 2: I have no idea.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: andalucia on May 13, 2004, 11:52:39 am
I really can't thank you enough for drawing that to my attention.  My stars.
Title: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
Post by: Nabubrush on May 14, 2004, 02:36:25 pm
Wow.


The whole specific band cover band phenomena is something fairly new to me since I've moved to America. They can't really do it in Alaska because the market is too small. Last month there was a show featuring a Motley Crue cover band, a Poison cover band, and then Skid Row (not a cover band). Oh my how I laughed. I'd loved to have been there listening to those guys chat about the old days.