The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on August 07, 2003, 04:35:58 pm

Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: jough on August 07, 2003, 04:35:58 pm
Let me know if you wouldn't mind a 468x60 px standard non-flashing banner ad at the top of the pages, a pop-under that wouldn't affect your reading of the pages, or if you'd prefer to keep the site ad-free and paid for by donations (of course, this would mean that people would have to donate every month).

I'm just trying to gauge how much people would or wouldn't mind a single banner ad OR pop-under.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: slink on August 07, 2003, 04:41:31 pm
Well, while I'd preferr donations to an ad most of the time, it kinda depends what you could get ad's from I guess.
If they were genuinely cool ones that would be good, and it would be a more steady income for it.
But, I understand that at the moment I can't really say I'd preferr donations :S
I'm going to have to steal that card just so i can say that and not feel like, as guilty as Bush should.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: ferocious j on August 07, 2003, 06:39:04 pm
I think it would help if we had some ballpark idea of how much it costs to maintain this board, and if it's even a viable choice to keep it to a donation-only model (which is the best one).  If and only if donations haven't been keeping up, then ads are a good option.  Otherwise they're just annoying.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: jough on August 07, 2003, 07:01:29 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
I think it would help if we had some ballpark idea of how much it costs to maintain this board.


I won't really know until the end of the month, but traffic *has* slowed since the first two days, so we'll have to see how the August averages come out.

It was convenient that we started on August 1st.

-- Jough
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: slink on August 07, 2003, 07:05:00 pm
Quote from: "jough"

It was convenient that we started on August 1st.


:shock: you planned this! You were in collusions with Onstad to bring the board down that day!
Damn sorry, I watched too much X-Files back in the day...
(when it was watchable you know)
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: V-Adore on August 07, 2003, 08:09:35 pm
I copy the above sentiments. Donations-only would be excellent if costs and donations allow, but if not, banner ads (especially if they're, y'know, stuff we might actually buy) are reasonable.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2003, 08:13:16 pm
I've always found banners extremely ignorable.  Ergo, they do not bother me.  Donations would also be OK.  Please no pop-anythings.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: Capn on August 07, 2003, 09:35:48 pm
I was tempted to vote "pop-under" but only because I have a real grown-ups web browser that was made for my web-browsing enjoyment rather than for the convienence of every skeevy little webmaster who thinks their site needs 17 windows all as big as my screen.

BUT ENOUGH POLEMICS!
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: Nabubrush on August 08, 2003, 03:05:55 am
I like the donation idea because I'm all about giving back to the community and the little people who helped me get where I am today.

If the donations seem not to be getting it done, put up a banner and leave the donation deal active for extra help (and you can spend it on booze if you want).
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 03:41:43 am
1 vote, banners (standard size).

Contingent on your finding a per-impression banner service, of course.

Let me know the service and I'll remove its 127.0.0.1 pointer from my hosts file.

Not to say I won't donate, as I've just (last month) given money to brunchma and am considering retiring from their fora to spend more time here.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: Nabubrush on August 08, 2003, 03:43:31 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
. . . fora . . .


Nice!
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 03:48:57 am
I'm all about the proper pluralization of foreign words, man, especially those that have been so horribly mis-pluralized on the internet as a whole.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: AugustWest on August 08, 2003, 05:40:42 am
Oh Howie, You're so PROFESSIONAL!
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2003, 01:16:49 am
So it looks like you made your choice.
Title: $
Post by: satchel on September 03, 2003, 01:25:38 am
Lay it out Jough, what’s the cost?
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: misterhaan on September 03, 2003, 02:59:18 am
looks like nobody wants the pop-unders, and if you did that you'd get no money coming in from me visiting as it would never load.  if you put a banner ad that isn't flashing or bouncing or otherwise annoying i probably won't block it :)
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 04:50:34 am
The poll was just a rough indicator to see how hated banner ads would be.

It's dead even right now between banner ads and donations - of course, if donations stop coming in (as they have), it won't be a choice.

But in another thread I pointed out that it's not really fair to expect the same five people to donate ad nauseam.  Banner ads would mean that no one would have to pony up anything, and I'd limit it to text ads and static things.

In any case, the point will be moot once I get an exclusive deal with a single advertiser, who shall go nameless at this point.

But those ads will be welcome - just you wait and see.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: Choop on September 03, 2003, 05:14:24 am
Oh, I'll click your ads, jough, and I'll donate as soon as I get some Abrahams to spare.

Quote from: "jough"
In any case, the point will be moot once I get an exclusive deal with a single advertiser, who shall go nameless at this point.

But those ads will be welcome - just you wait and see.


I think maybe the only ways ads will be welcome is if they're either porn or from a certain geek goods store... why can't I think of the name...?
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 05:30:27 am
No no no, nothing like that.

All I will say further on the subject is that the ads will be HIGHLY RELEVANT to the theme of this site.

Perhaps I've said too much already.  :shock:
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 05:32:44 am
How's about a banner that disappears if I make a donation? I don't mind banners and I would/will donate.

You could have some kind of content for donaters. Don't know what that would be and I would not want to stratify the board, either. OK so it's a bad idea. Forget I mentioned that one.

Don't do not popups, popovers, poptarts, popstars, popsicles or anything else that pops. I hates them, precioussss.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: Choop on September 03, 2003, 06:09:16 am
aww, man, i was really hoping for some thinkgeek ads. oooh.... i may have another guess. but i'll save it so i can say "i knew it!" regardless of my actual guess.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: jay-ell on September 03, 2003, 04:56:25 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
You could have some kind of content for donaters. Don't know what that would be and I would not want to stratify the board, either. OK so it's a bad idea. Forget I mentioned that one.


Donators get a special rank of their own choosing.  I think that's neat.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2003, 05:01:05 pm
Whoops. See, yesterday I got a pop-up while surfing the board and thought that meant Jough had made his choice, hence my comment above. But it turned out that Erin had left a window of the Washington Post up that I didn't notice, which auto-refreshes and brings up new ads every few minutes. Whoops.
Title: Advertising -vs- Donations
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 05:08:01 pm
No, I wouldn't subject you people to pop-ups. They're too easily blocked to be a reliable source of revenue, anyway.