The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Noah on May 13, 2004, 07:11:12 am

Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: Noah on May 13, 2004, 07:11:12 am
Funny, but I've already seen it.

There are some more old ones here: http://chappie.stanford.edu/staff/Chris%20Onstad/
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: jough on May 13, 2004, 08:10:02 am
Yeah, I'd seen that one before.

So does anyone else think it's odd that Onstad still submits stuff to his old college humour magazine?  I mean, is he like those guys who've graduated but still hang out at the old school as his friends stay the same age but he keeps getting older and creepier, trying to fit into a world he was always a wrong-shaped peg in?

Seriously, Onstad.  Don't make me have to pour off half of my 40 for you.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: andalucia on May 13, 2004, 11:42:33 am
Very much agreed with jough.  Some of my friends in university do the equivalent of this for high school, and I find it creepy.  
And the comic... well, I doubt that he was posting it out of reverence for its comedic potential.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: pubdoggy on May 13, 2004, 12:19:16 pm
hey get this strip - is that not Phillipe's car? looky (http://chappie.stanford.edu/archives/1996-1997/this_land_america/american_nightmare_-_starring_monkey_boy/index.html)
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: pierced lemur on May 13, 2004, 12:44:52 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"
hey get this strip - is that not Phillipe's car? looky (http://chappie.stanford.edu/archives/1996-1997/this_land_america/american_nightmare_-_starring_monkey_boy/index.html)

It certainly is. I guess Mr. O is looking at his archive for inspiration.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2004, 12:52:59 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"
hey get this strip - is that not Phillipe's car? looky (http://chappie.stanford.edu/archives/1996-1997/this_land_america/american_nightmare_-_starring_monkey_boy/index.html)

I'd love to look but WebSense filters it as "Traditional Religious" and won't let me in. I shit you not.

God I hate censorware.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: AugustWest on May 13, 2004, 12:54:15 pm
I kinda liked From the Desk of Johnny Cash. (http://chappie.stanford.edu/archives/1997-1998/fear/from_the_desk_of_johnny_cash/index.html)
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: palm trees on May 13, 2004, 01:10:47 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I'd seen that one before.

So does anyone else think it's odd that Onstad still submits stuff to his old college humour magazine?  I mean, is he like those guys who've graduated but still hang out at the old school as his friends stay the same age but he keeps getting older and creepier, trying to fit into a world he was always a wrong-shaped peg in?

Seriously, Onstad.  Don't make me have to pour off half of my 40 for you.


you mean this guy (http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/051104/creepy-old-college-guy.gif)?
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: V-Adore on May 13, 2004, 01:20:53 pm
See, we have a few of these guys around our college, but they tend to have either graduated last year (and thus actually be visiting friends from college who still go here) or who are impressively hands-off. Onstad really has no excuse at this point.

Mostly I'm marvelling at the chutzpah he has for rereleasing Variety Hour crap as daily content!
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2004, 04:25:45 pm
If I just go back once a year for the Film Festival that doesn't make me Creepy Guy, right? Right?!
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: jough on May 13, 2004, 04:27:20 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I kinda liked From the Desk of Johnny Cash. (http://chappie.stanford.edu/archives/1997-1998/fear/from_the_desk_of_johnny_cash/index.html)


Yeah, that showed up in the much-hated Variety Hour last August.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: jough on May 13, 2004, 04:27:51 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"
hey get this strip - is that not Phillipe's car? looky (http://chappie.stanford.edu/archives/1996-1997/this_land_america/american_nightmare_-_starring_monkey_boy/index.html)


Yep.  And that's the AIDS Monkey there, too.

WHAT GIVES?
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 13, 2004, 07:26:52 pm
This incredible wealth of content from a guy who, just weeks ago, was taking time off to explore syndication....

ScaryGoRound is fresh and funny every day. Achewood, when it is funny, is much much funnier but doesn't hit every day.

It's a little sad to see this old stuff put up and I am left wondering if there is something going on in Onstad's life that is interfering with the daily output. If so, I hope everything turns out OK and he can get back to doing what he generally does very well, which is turn out an irreverent cartoon with some cultural relevance that is usually funny, every day.

No complaints from me on the free stuff. I actually am far more entertained by this web board, in general, than the cartoon.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: sailor on May 13, 2004, 07:47:24 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

No complaints from me on the free stuff. I actually am far more entertained by this web board, in general, than the cartoon.


dude, we ain't all that great, really.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: AugustWest on May 13, 2004, 07:50:50 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

No complaints from me on the free stuff. I actually am far more entertained by this web board, in general, than the cartoon.


dude, we ain't all that great, really.


Speak for yourself, Beef.  I am fantastic.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: sailor on May 13, 2004, 08:31:00 pm
Well, i'll admit that between the time the dumbrella board died and i found this one, my Achewood experience wasn't quite complete, but i'd kill all of you before i touched a hair on sweet Onstad's head.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: Ben-San on May 13, 2004, 10:17:28 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Well, i'll admit that between the time the dumbrella board died and i found this one, my Achewood experience wasn't quite complete, but i'd kill all of you before i touched a hair on sweet Onstad's head.


The murderometer is the one true test of entertainment excellence.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: V-Adore on May 13, 2004, 11:02:25 pm
I'm touched. Really.

(Touched by what is the question.)
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: jough on May 14, 2004, 03:39:28 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm touched. Really.

(Touched by what is the question.)


I'm not touching that one.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: Nabubrush on May 14, 2004, 02:32:36 pm
Eh. The whole experience is made more enjoyable with the board, for me. Lately he's been uneven, but that's been true in the past, too. It all balances, I think. At least it's mostly free. I'd rather live in a world with Achewood than without, but it'd all be ok, really.

And don't get all choked up, but I think I'd kill Onstad before I'd kill all of you - because really, there's more of you, and I'm kind of a 'greatest good for the greatest number of people' guy, as long as I don't really know them.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: AugustWest on May 14, 2004, 03:49:14 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
because really, there's more of you,


Don't forget that many of us have pointy sticks or heavy things with sharp corners, Buster!
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: Nabubrush on May 14, 2004, 07:05:49 pm
Exactly - if some of you were checking the board and saying things like "how come w and x and y and z never post anymore" eventually those who were left would figure it out and come after me.
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: slink on May 14, 2004, 08:06:29 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Exactly - if some of you were checking the board and saying things like "how come w and x and y and z never post anymore" eventually those who were left would figure it out and come after me.


Someone change his moniker to Nice Pete,
Title: Onstad's First Foray Into Comics - Thursday, May 13
Post by: sailor on May 14, 2004, 08:36:44 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Exactly - if some of you were checking the board and saying things like "how come w and x and y and z never post anymore" eventually those who were left would figure it out and come after me.


Well, I'd just hack into all y'alls accounts and post as you and sit around and say funny shit to myself about the day's strip.