The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: slink on May 15, 2004, 04:11:46 pm

Title: Just a little something from the man...
Post by: slink on May 15, 2004, 04:11:46 pm
Just discovered a link to this (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/cold_turkey/) article, written fairly recently by Kurt Vonnegut.

I like it. I like that he's managed to touch on some really serious things but still keep it all fairly light and humorous.
Title: Just a little something from the man...
Post by: andalucia on May 15, 2004, 05:16:29 pm
I read this on, I think it was, metafilter (http://www.metafilter.com), this morning.  I'm a big Vonnegut fan, but I don't think political writing is his forte.  Still, I'm glad to see that he's still as witty and articulate as ever.  I'm happy that the guy's still around after those millions of Pall Malls.
Title: Just a little something from the man...
Post by: pmcd9 on May 15, 2004, 05:31:35 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I'm happy that the guy's still around after those millions of Pall Malls.


Yikes, that's what my Granny smoked.  She died of emphysema at the age of 81.

~Paul
Title: Just a little something from the man...
Post by: slink on May 15, 2004, 06:33:14 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I'm a big Vonnegut fan, but I don't think political writing is his forte.


I certainly don't think it's his forte, and maybe it was just the state of mind I read it in, but I really appreciated his willingness to spark an issue, but then to leave it, and go with the witt. It leaves the reader to go along their own paths. He's kind of neatly sidestepping political rhetoric.

I realise too after reading this that I must go back and reread the Vonnegut I haven't touched in so long.
Title: Just a little something from the man...
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 15, 2004, 11:47:08 pm
I love this country because people can say and print their opinions and not fear their being dragged off in chains in the dead of night.

He's a good writer and I proudly disagree with him while celebrating the very Constitution and institutions that stand for both his right to say it and for me to disagree.

And he is right about the fossil fuels problem but I think we all know the future of petroleum. I think anyone who feels the need to stand around pointing out what's wrong with everything should be responsible enough to present reasonable solutions occasionally. If nothing else, the press and writing in this country seems to point to a defensible theory that we are a nation of malcontent complainers.