The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on May 15, 2004, 04:23:54 pm

Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 15, 2004, 04:23:54 pm
I need a chair.  I saw this one parked outside a used furniture store.  It's hella cheap AND it's damn comfortable, but it's also pretty hideous.  What do you think, does comfort and price outweigh looks?  Or not?

~Paul

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0478-E400.jpg)

Bear in mind that this chair could serve as a metaphor for a greater issue
Title: The Chair
Post by: andalucia on May 15, 2004, 05:07:36 pm
Ugly chairs need the most love.
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 15, 2004, 05:09:11 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Ugly chairs need the most love.


That's all I needed to hear.

~Paul
Title: The Chair
Post by: slink on May 15, 2004, 06:30:01 pm
It is indeed a chair whose very ugliness justifies it's existence. Whether I could live with it for long before hacking it into pieces in my living room, with a chainsaw, I do not know! But for now, and for $20, YO' GOTTA GO GET THAT CHAIR BROTHER!
Title: The Chair
Post by: Choop on May 15, 2004, 06:33:09 pm
Paul, this one smells of a project to me. Just go ahead and recover it, unless it already fits with your decor - hell, it might be worth doing it anyway.
Title: The Chair
Post by: wombat on May 15, 2004, 06:34:08 pm
I would fear that this chair is full of vermin. The price of the exterminator will make it no longer seem like a bargain.

And I reject the suggested metaphor.
Title: The Chair
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 15, 2004, 11:34:16 pm
Which Metaphor?

Also, this looks like a damn fine piece of Porch furniture, but I would be afraid of bringing it inside.

I had some great porch furniture not unlike this chair.
Title: The Chair
Post by: AugustWest on May 16, 2004, 01:06:40 am
Man, that chair is Fred G. Sanford ugly.  And the "G" stands for "Grotesque".

But if it sits good....
Title: The Chair
Post by: wombat on May 16, 2004, 01:56:02 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Which Metaphor?



The one in the small print which, if I got the point, might have led to my post being misinterpreted as suggesting that Paul himself was full of vermin.
Title: The Chair
Post by: slink on May 16, 2004, 02:43:17 am
Yup. At the end of the day, the taste/comfort line is in a different place for everyone. So it's your judgement at the end of the day.

Hell, otherwise you'll end up with that in your living room hating us for it!
Title: The Chair
Post by: Limmo on May 16, 2004, 04:28:28 am
If it's comfy and vermin-free, buy it and get it reupholstered.
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2004, 06:15:36 am
It's done.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0482-E2400.jpg)

I was prepared to pay the full 20, but the guy marked it down to 15 without me even asking.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0496-E400.jpg)

~Paul
Title: The Chair
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 16, 2004, 08:09:52 am
I <KNEW> it wasn't vermin free!

[/bustin']

congrats on a fine purchase.
Title: The Chair
Post by: jough on May 16, 2004, 04:55:37 pm
Meanwhile, Chris Isaak called.

He wants his shirt back.
Title: The Chair
Post by: slink on May 16, 2004, 05:23:02 pm
Quote from: "jough"

He wants his shirt back.


I'd berate you for even being here, but that comment was worth it. Now, go be a luddite!
Title: The Chair
Post by: andalucia on May 16, 2004, 05:27:54 pm
It is a lovely chair, Paul, and congratulations.
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2004, 06:27:53 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jough"

He wants his shirt back.


I'd berate you for even being here, but that comment was worth it. Now, go be a luddite!


Aw c'mon Slink, he cribbed that joke straight out of Friday's strip.  Jough and Onstad are both getting joke writing lessons from David Spade.

But I digress.  What I meant to say was get the hell out of here Jough.  Don't be afraid of the big bad world.  Go find your special purpose, or at least get laid a lot of times and come back and report it.  We're counting on you to tell us what it's like out there.

~Paul
Title: The Chair
Post by: jough on May 16, 2004, 06:29:36 pm
Six hours and counting.

I'm still copying things from the new computer to the old one, so I'll be in and out until tonight.

I SWEAR, IF YOU KIDS WRECK THE PLACE WHEN I'M GONE YOU'LL ALL BE GROUNDED FOR A MONTH
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2004, 06:30:01 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
It is a lovely chair, Paul, and congratulations.


Thank you Andalucia.  It was your advice that made up my mind for me.

~Paul
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2004, 06:31:20 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Six hours and counting.


Did I misread?  I thought it was Saturday night you were pulling the plug.

~Paul
Title: The Chair
Post by: jough on May 16, 2004, 06:32:54 pm
No, it was Sunday night.  

Monday morning I ship this PC back to HP, so I have to pack it tonight and get it ready so I can stagger out of bed tomorrow and answer the door.

After that, it's all fun and excitement.
Title: The Chair
Post by: jough on May 16, 2004, 06:33:27 pm
P.S. Congrats on the new chair.  It'll comfortably seat whomever happens to ride in the back of your pickup truck.
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2004, 06:39:17 pm
Quote from: "jough"
P.S. Congrats on the new chair.  It'll comfortably seat whomever happens to ride in the back of your pickup truck.


Ok I didn't really want to post this picture because it's less flattering than the other two, but since you insist, here it is in my humble abode.

~Paul

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0497-E2400.jpg)
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2004, 06:48:25 pm
And it matches the decor very well...

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0498-E400.jpg)
Title: The Chair
Post by: slink on May 16, 2004, 06:58:00 pm
Damnit now I want that chair.
The ergonomics of it remind me of the chairs on the Death Star or something. You have to take a photo from behind it so that we can paint your head white, and lower a black helmet from the ceiling.
Title: The Chair
Post by: V-Adore on May 16, 2004, 08:18:37 pm
Mad props on actually buying the chair, man. May it give you many happy hours of sitting enjoyment.
Title: The Chair
Post by: wombat on May 16, 2004, 11:31:17 pm
I'm still dubious about the chair, but now I want a pickup truck.
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 17, 2004, 02:11:37 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm still dubious about the chair, but now I want a pickup truck.


I can't help you with the truck, but perhaps this will put your mind at ease about the chair.

~Paul

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0500-E500.jpg)
Title: The Chair
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 17, 2004, 03:06:08 am
at ease??

Who put the vermin in charge of the lysol?

Man, I told you that was a porch chair! Now you'll have to feed that kid AND compete with him for chair time.
Title: The Chair
Post by: AugustWest on May 17, 2004, 03:19:11 am
I used to have that very same Pink Floyd poster.  If you'd said the chair was going in front of that poster I would have unequivically supported its purchase.  It just fits, somehow.
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 17, 2004, 03:57:21 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I used to have that very same Pink Floyd poster.


You and 30 million other people.  It's the one that came in the Dark Side of the Moon album.  Just above it is the Let it Be Poster.  What can I say, i'm a sucker for the classics.

~Paul

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0517-E500.jpg)
Title: The Chair
Post by: Bozack on May 17, 2004, 05:23:08 am
Ha, I don't know who that kid is, but you can just tell that he rocks. He's totally in my posse, along with the 8-year olds I saw doing ninja backflips and shit down at the park. Don't mess with me and my youth posse, man. They will fuck you up!
Title: The Chair
Post by: jough on May 17, 2004, 05:47:12 am
Dude, no more putting up photos of children up here.  We generally turn a blind eye to child abuse around here, but we have STANDARDS, dude.
Title: The Chair
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 17, 2004, 01:27:36 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Caveat: A special lady might induce you to get rid of it in the future.  They seem to have opinions that are based on more than utility occaisionally.


An even more special lady would offer to do some sort of re-upholster/cover job on it.
Title: The Chair
Post by: Nabubrush on May 17, 2004, 02:29:14 pm
I can't quite read it, but is that kid wearing a Stryper shirt?
Title: The Chair
Post by: Limmo on May 17, 2004, 04:58:50 pm
As long as you don't have the poster of David Lee Roth from Women and Children First up on your wall...

Or the poster of Prince from Controversy.
Title: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on May 17, 2004, 10:32:22 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
As long as you don't have the poster of David Lee Roth from Women and Children First up on your wall...

Or the poster of Prince from Controversy.


Nope, I don't have either one of those.

~Paul
Title: Re: The Chair
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2006, 02:53:21 am
I can't quite read it, but is that kid wearing a Stryper shirt?

Actually I think it's a Starter t-shirt.

~Paul
Title: Re: The Chair
Post by: Nabubrush on March 04, 2006, 03:30:35 am
Actually I think it's a Starter t-shirt.

~Paul
Paul, that post was two years old. Just catching up on old correspondence?