The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: miles on May 18, 2004, 08:22:25 am
-
My favorite line is: "You can drive it around on grey rocks but also have an excellent time just in a neighborhood." But this wouldn't fit in the subject line.
The last two panels are priceless.
-
Agreed. Somehow Achewood diction in and of itself never ceases to make me really really happy.
-
Just a couple weeks after ragging on the Equation of the Week award, Ray helps give an award to a computer program (a big, corporate, boring one at that). Go figure.
-
I just lost a paper I was writing due to Word crashing this morning.
Word can go to hell and die as far as I'm concerned.
-
I wonder who the past winners were. Is there going to be some kind of Lifetime Achievement award?
-
I wonder who the past winners were. Is there going to be some kind of Lifetime Achievement award?
I successfully swallowed the urge to turn this thread into another Old PC Game (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3953) / Software (http://apple2history.org/museum/software_misc/certmaker.html) Appreciation Bonanza (http://www.desmoinesnightlife.com/one_pound_sirloin_black_border.jpg).
CLIPPIT: What the goddamn kind of fun can I have with an XTerra in just a neighborhood this fuck*ng thing doesn't drive up walls
EXEUNT
-
Bust peach recognition loft hairs.
Sorry, old joke.
-
I'm particularly fond of Ray's line about how Microsoft Word lets you write a sentence on your computer, personally, but the last two panels are gold. I especially like how the XTerra is sort of lumpy and odd-looking.
-
I just realised. Is that the first car since Hell?
Awesome!
*except for Philippe's... car...
-
Besides Phillippe's car, I think so.
-
Obviously the "boys" (Onstad) are being paid generously by Bill Gates for this shameless plug. Yes, the quality of the award recepient is questionable, but the strip is still damn funny. Probably even funnier because of this.
I just lost a paper I was writing due to Word crashing this morning.
Word can go to hell and die as far as I'm concerned.
-
Abiword all sittin' at the back of the auditorium, all crumpling up its acceptance speech, all muttering "I wuz robbed..."
-
Abiword all sittin' at the back of the auditorium, all crumpling up its acceptance speech, all muttering "I wuz robbed..."
Wordstar all suckin' down oxygen in a wheelchair, tear in his eye, all "Look at my boy..."
btw:achewood is the only site that i get pop-ups on, despite my google pop-up blocker. WTF, Chris?
-
Abiword all sittin' at the back of the auditorium, all crumpling up its acceptance speech, all muttering "I wuz robbed..."
That's okay. He can go join BBEdit and Emacs at the anti-award party. vi will be there. He says awards really don't matter to him, but he still gets hell of drunk every year on awards night.
All hittin' on Notepad. All vomiting in TextPad's shoes.
-
Just a couple weeks after ragging on the Equation of the Week award, Ray helps give an award to a computer program (a big, corporate, boring one at that). Go figure.
Surely they are being ironic?
I would also like Word to die and go to hell. I don't even need to use it anymore now that I no longer have a job where I need to share files with other people, but what else to use? They have taken over the world.
-
I recently upgraded to Mac OSX and have discovered that the included "TextEdit" replacing SimpleText does not save in .txt like Simpletext did but rather only in .rtf and .doc.
Whatever your feelings about Mac vs. Whatever, something is deeply, deeply wrong when Microsoft proprietary formats dominate the Macintosh.
-
try hitting "make plain text" in the format menu.
ontopic: i think it's funny because there is clearly no major program less deserving of a medal of excellence than word. literally all it can do well is a few sentences. anything over about 40 pages and that fucker is sloooooow.
and then it crashes.
yes, i used to work in a university computer lab. BA time was SO. MUCH. FUN.
-
try hitting "make plain text" in the format menu.
Indeed, I have it set to default to plain text in the preferences. Text should be text. Life is complicated enough without extranous markup.
-
Life is complicated enough without extranous markup.
Unless you're using TextPad for HTML markup by hand. It has some lovely features, as well as being small and fast, it is totally customisable. I just discovered yesterday that I can set a macro up to insert <A TARGET="_blank" HREF=" - thus saving me a little time, given I always use _blank target links.
-
Dammit, Slink! I don't recognize you any more with your new Av! I keep thinking, "Who the hell is *that* guy?"
Ah, well. I'll have to get used to it, I suppose.
-
Ah, well. I'll have to get used to it, I suppose.
I will probably revert. Just felt it was time for a change. I don't think it works though.
-
Ah, well. I'll have to get used to it, I suppose.
I will probably revert. Just felt it was time for a change. I don't think it works though.
I like it just fine, but I'll freely admit I miss Ed and Ein. And yes, there was a recognition effect going on.
(It rather worries me that I chose to be associated with a giant evil eye, but such is my idiom, I suppose.)
-
I like it just fine, but I'll freely admit I miss Ed and Ein. And yes, there was a recognition effect going on.
Yea. The recognition effect weirded me out a bit too. And there are worse things to be recognised at than anime characters in the style of Ralph Steadman.
I had been considering going back to Hunter however. I might try that again soon.
-
<A TARGET="_blank" HREF="
capitalized tags, and the target attribute? you are SO not validating under xhtml 1.1 [/geek]
-
Hooray! You people have saved my sanity from having to launch Classic Environment for Simpletext until such time as I started poking around the preferences and such. May many benedictions shower upon your houses!
-
capitalized tags, and the target attribute? you are SO not validating under xhtml 1.1 [/geek]
I know, it's a fact that shames me. It's just bad habit, having learnt long, long ago.
I am going to have to go through all my HTML and clean it out, since I need that validation in my life.
-
Hey! Geeks! Look over here! (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=18594#18594)
-
i hope ray and beef are being ironiocal. because i find it hard to make sentences in MS Word. it keeps capitalizing things.
-
It always calls me on [Long Sentence: No Suggestions].
Stupid pretentious diction.
-
Slink, just for my 2 cents, I kind of enjoyed the other avatar. But the Ralph is cool, of course.
-
I used to use Wordperfect until Word started my current job. Word sucks really hard compared to Wordperfect. I used to say as much to my coworkers and the usual response was "It's just the same, your just used to the other one, that's why you think it's better." But no, no it's not, it's much worse. Thankfully wordprocessing isn't what I do much of.
i hope ray and beef are being ironiocal. because i find it hard to make sentences in MS Word. it keeps capitalizing things.
Oh yeah, thanks Word for capitalizing the next word after i've punctuated an abreviation. That really speeds things up for me.
~Paul
I'm not entirely sure punctuated is an actual word.
-
I'm not entirely sure punctuated is an actual word.
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=punctuated
-
I'm not entirely sure punctuated is an actual word.
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=punctuated
Well whaddaya know.
~Paul
-
I miss WordPerfect 5.1 -- I could make that baby jump through all the hoops. I was all Shift-F7... Alt-F4... Ctrl-F8. I didn't need a template or nothing! Whatever I wanted my document to look like it looked like! And it liked it!
Seriously -- I'm a document producing guy and I loved WP5.1. It was simple, no-frills and effective. I don't need 16 damn bells and whistles, I just need total control over formatting. Is that too much to ask, Bill Gates?
-
I miss WordPerfect 5.1 -- I could make that baby jump through all the hoops. I was all Shift-F7... Alt-F4... Ctrl-F8. I didn't need a template or nothing! Whatever I wanted my document to look like it looked like! And it liked it!
WordPerfect was all like is this fast enough and August was all no
There are a few programs with which I am extremely proficient, but they're all video games. Last time I went to a gaming cafe, the guy who worked there watched in stunned silence as I played the hell out of some Warcraft III with crazy mad hotkeys. Later, when we ran into him somewhere out of context, he recognized me as "Mrs. Hotkeys."
I liked that.
-
I was all Shift-F7... Alt-F4... Ctrl-F8. I didn't need a template or nothing!
There are a few programs with which I am extremely proficient, but they're all video games.
Damn, this reminds me of being young: bright-eyed and optimistic and willing to put up with any amount of shit from my video games, up to and including strapping some gigantic fuck*ng piece of perforated cardboard onto and over my keyboard so that i would know what each and every button did in F117-A Stealth Fighter. Seriously. I think that fuck*ng plane had windshield wipers.
Is this what August means by "template"? You mean to say that adults actually used accessories such as these for their productivity applications in their professional lives? Was there a little slot for their baseball cards, too?
-
back to talking about word, i tried the word processor in openoffice[/link] and it doesn't look as fancy as word, but it is WAY better. not that that's saying much.
also whatever openoffice calls its thing that does the same thing as the equation editor you can install with word is insanely better than equation editor because you don't have to use the penis. i just wish i would have found that back when i was writing lab reports because it probably would have taken me half the time to write them in openoffice rather than word. (http://www.openoffice.org/)
-
I just need total control over formatting. Is that too much to ask, Bill Gates?
I miss a little old program I used to use called PC-Write. I think it was just one step up from a text editor, although I can barely remember text editors. You had to put all the formatting commands in on your own. By, like, typing them, right out there where you could read them - none of this invisible shit you put in with badly organized menus.
What was great was that you didn't have to stop and worry about screwed-up formatting every two seconds when you were trying to, like, WRITE. You could write all the content you wanted without thinking about what the printout would look like, and then at the end, do all that stuff that the typesetter ought to do separately. It was like having a word processor with a manual transmission.
Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.
-
It was like having a word processor with a manual transmission.
What a beautifully apt analogy.
It's apt! APT!!!
-
Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.
I wanna hear more about the Cicadas. Can you make a field recording?
~Paul
-
Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.
I wanna hear more about the Cicadas. Can you make a field recording?
~Paul
Oddly enough, the company I work at is called Cicada Consulting Group. The founder was taking a walk in '92 and listening to the cicadas and how they could 'communicate' with others miles away. This got him to thinking about his modem and the internet. He then named his internet company after some of the most hideous beasts ever to crawl out of their shells and screech.
-
Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.
I wanna hear more about the Cicadas. Can you make a field recording?
~Paul
The coolest thing is that they always sound like they're coming from somewhere over that way. And if you walk that way all of a sudden the source seems to jump back over that other way.
It's now loud enough that I can hear them in my bedroom with the windows shut.
-
It's now loud enough that I can hear them in my bedroom with the windows shut.
I'd so be rocking backwards and forwards, dribbling by this point. Can't fuck*ng stand insects in numbers.
-
Let me know how that works out for you, m'kay?
Occasionally, pretty fuck*ng poorly! (http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/146839-2920-103.html)
-
back to talking about word, i tried the word processor in openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) and it doesn't look as fancy as word, but it is WAY better. not that that's saying much.
also whatever openoffice calls its thing that does the same thing as the equation editor you can install with word is insanely better than equation editor because you don't have to use the penis. i just wish i would have found that back when i was writing lab reports because it probably would have taken me half the time to write them in openoffice rather than word.
Given the number of equations in my dissertation, I probably would have been thrilled to use anything other than Word. But my main complaint is the way that tables, figures, captions, etc. spontaneously re-arrange themsleves in Word if you change anything. I had to alter my margins slightly (by about .05"...the Graduate School here is really picky), and I spent days trying to make all the figures go back where I wanted them.
Maybe we should make Microsoft eat cicadas.
-
badly organized menus
Which is why my toolbar looks like this:
(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/toolbar.jpg)
Yes, I use them all.
the way that tables, figures, captions, etc. spontaneously re-arrange themsleves in Word if you change anything
This is true. You can circumvent this, however, by applying these settings to every table and graphic (a chore, but less so than the alternative).
Right click, select "Format Picture." Layout; Advanced button. Select "Top and Bottom".
Picture Position tab, select horizontal alignment if desired. Change vertical alignment to "top relative to line." Make sure "Move object with text" is checked and uncheck "Allow overlap."
I am 99% certain that's correct. I didn't take the time to re-test it, but it's worked for me before. A real life saver when I was typing exams for aspiring Materials Scientists. If you're good with macros, this would be a breeze -- personally, I never got the hang of those.
This post has made me feel downright secretarial.
-
JL, that is truly the most terrifying menu layout I have ever seen! And I use Maya! That thing has 5 switchable menu layouts all with different buttons and shit, in almost that quantity.
I guess I just manage to get by without knowing how Word works. I have managed to do everything I've ever needed to (including editorial work, so it's not entirely everyday) by just, working out how to get it do what's needed when it comes to it.
Microsoft software is at least easy to do that with if you're a geek.
-
What's more, posting an image of your Word toolbar can really fuck up a thread.
-
How ironic...
-
After living underground for 17 years and feeding on tree roots, the so-called Brood X cicadas are emerging by the billions across the Eastern U.S.
....Brood X? Wasn't that an X-Men story arch?
EDIT: I'm dumb; also, a comparison.
CICADAS ARE....
(http://www.geometer.org/earthwatch/cicada.jpg)
THE BROOD IS....
(http://24.188.68.181:8000/aliens/brood1.jpg)
-
What's more, posting an image of your Word toolbar can really fuck up a thread.
I wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been so near the bottom of the page. Sorry for making you scroll, for heaven's sake.
-
Sorry for making you scroll, for heaven's sake.
You gotta love 19inch displays.
-
Bozack, when did you turn into Paul? And why is it so awesome?
-
Well if you had a lot of equations in your disseration, you should have definitely been using LaTeX.
back to talking about word, i tried the word processor in openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) and it doesn't look as fancy as word, but it is WAY better. not that that's saying much.
also whatever openoffice calls its thing that does the same thing as the equation editor you can install with word is insanely better than equation editor because you don't have to use the penis. i just wish i would have found that back when i was writing lab reports because it probably would have taken me half the time to write them in openoffice rather than word.
Given the number of equations in my dissertation, I probably would have been thrilled to use anything other than Word. But my main complaint is the way that tables, figures, captions, etc. spontaneously re-arrange themsleves in Word if you change anything. I had to alter my margins slightly (by about .05"...the Graduate School here is really picky), and I spent days trying to make all the figures go back where I wanted them.
Maybe we should make Microsoft eat cicadas.
-
Well if you had a lot of equations in your disseration, you should have definitely been using LaTeX.
Yes, I should have, especially since the University thoughtfully provides a LaTeX template for thesis. However, I:
a) can't program worth shit, and LaTeX is as much about programming as anything
b) can't touch type (I know, I'm a failure on the internet), making extteraneous coding of things like formatting less than appealing
c) never actually bothered to, you know, learn how to use LaTeX. There was a class I could have taken as an undergrad, but at the time I didn't see the point.
d) am an idiot (see my admission to owning a porkpie hat elsewhere for confirmation).
Maybe next time I'll do it right.....
-
Those Cicadas are totally wicked cool.
~Paul
-
I totally shined page 2, because who's lazy? Me. I am. Anyway, half of this thread is totally in the wrong place.
-
Congratulations, gang - I think this thread, and this page in particular, has produced the single most bizarre set of context-sensitive Google Text Ads I've ever seen. I mean, wow.
(snitches get stitches)
A friend of mine and I were once threatened by some crazy homeless dude with words to this effect. Long story short, he was panhandling and being a garden variety* obnoxious, "hey that's your weird-ass face right up next to mine like we're going to kiss or have a Moment", pain in the ass, and we told someone about it, and - get this - a chick measuring about five foot nothing and eight months pregnant chased his ass on out. As he "left", he told us he'd be waiting. Outside.
"Snitches," he intoned gravely, "are for bitches." Five minutes later he was shucking and jiving his way on down the sidewalk, intensely interested in individual airborne nitrogen atoms or whatever.
MORAL: Yes. Yes, I am for bitches. Bitches simply cannot get enough.
*Sell seeds for cash or prizes! Fifty packets gets you this boss microscope kit!
-
You're NOT suggesting I bear any similarity to the antagonist in your little sketch there now ARE YOU? Why I oughta...hey check out the light refraction interacting with those dust motes!!!
::scampers away to twirl in the dancing little beauties::
Yeah, you better run . . . if you know what's good for you.