The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Limmo on May 18, 2004, 02:02:52 pm

Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: Limmo on May 18, 2004, 02:02:52 pm
Short but sweet.  He's right, the Internet was not supposed to be this way.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 18, 2004, 02:51:04 pm
Kid Kid Yellin' ROCKS!  Made me laugh out loud in my office.  I bet that station plays my favorite band, the Angry White Guys with Guitars and Goatees (featuring Shouty Guy Who Can't Rap and Really Shouldn't Try to Rap).

All goin' off on Tom.  Priceless.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: CortJstr on May 18, 2004, 04:38:08 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
And to add to that, starting off calling them 'a bunch of haircuts' was excellent.

Also: 'Algorythms of your ass curves'.  I get a hoot when Ray tries to sound like he's layin' down the science.

The sad part is come censorware companies have actually tried this tactic to filter nekkid images.

Ray's lucky, my local Clear Channel and Viacom montrosities only play Kid Kid Yellin'
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: slink on May 18, 2004, 04:39:50 pm
Jesus, the internet was not meant to be this way.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: V-Adore on May 18, 2004, 05:51:46 pm
I have a feeling Little Nephew is really into Kid Kid Yellin' this week and Ray is just lashing out.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: wombat on May 18, 2004, 11:05:26 pm
But how was the Internet supposed to be? I can't even remember anymore.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: andalucia on May 18, 2004, 11:37:43 pm
Mostly like that 1995 computer sales page, as I recall.  Not really something to be nostalgic for.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 19, 2004, 12:10:24 am
It was lists and lists of posts and files. There was this thing that made all manner of squealing and popping noises before connecting you at 1200 baud. Nothing happened quite in real time.

Then there was this thing called CompuServe. It went both uphill and downhill at the same time when Jesus and Al Gore invented the 'internet' as we know it today. Not to mention colors and graphics that weren't created using 1.3 million ASCII characters.

It basically sucked but it seemed really cool at the time.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: wombat on May 19, 2004, 12:12:36 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
There was this thing that made all manner of squealing and popping noises before connecting you at 1200 baud.


Oh oh yeah I remember that!

We had nothing like Achewood then.  They were dark days.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2004, 12:46:25 am
Quote from: "wombat"
But how was the Internet supposed to be? I can't even remember anymore.

It was all about the gopher, baby!
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: St_Zartan on May 19, 2004, 01:31:01 am
D00D
I AM L33T
GIVE ME WAR3Z

DO J00 KNOW HOW TO MAKE A.... BEIGE BOX?!?!??! LEECH ACCESS FOR CO-SYSOPS ONLY!!!1

C:\Uploads\Unsorted\> get RaDiOsH~1.txt

(insert three-page-long ASCII image of Iron Maiden's "Eddie" with a flamethrower and a big American flag)
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: arkabee on May 19, 2004, 02:10:09 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"


(insert three-page-long ASCII image of Iron Maiden's "Eddie" with a flamethrower and a big American flag)


w00t.

does anyone remember what Apple's "aol" was called?  i forget.

it sucked at 2400baud.   not that it was that old, just my modem was.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 19, 2004, 02:17:43 am
History of the Internet (http://emeagwali.com/history/internet/)

Weird, wonderful stuff.

"In 10,000 years, our offspring will exist as pure thoughts. They will have achieved immortality."
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 02:49:10 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

"In 10,000 years, our offspring will exist as pure thoughts. They will have achieved immortality."


Well, hell yea!

This is like you say a, fascinating read. I keep thinking Akira. Only, like, we're Tetsuo, or something.

"With the grid, we can imagine Femi Kuti, in Lagos, and Janet Jackson, in Los Angeles, both singing a live duet on a digital stage. The world will become their virtual digital stage."

But oh dear God do we have to encourage them? They're going to think it's The Diamond Age.

Oh, and:
"That is, we will succeed in imbedding inanimate intelligence into animate intelligence and living beings. Frankly, the question is no longer "can we?" It is: "should we?""

Or possibly 'can we avoid it'?
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: St_Zartan on May 19, 2004, 03:22:54 am
Quote from: "slink"
"With the grid, we can imagine Femi Kuti, in Lagos..."


Because nothing screams "the future is now" like modern technology in the hands of Nigerians.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 03:41:16 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Because nothing screams "the future is now" like modern technology in the hands of Nigerians.


Or Janet Jackson having another career resurgence!
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 19, 2004, 05:46:42 am
Slink, had you ever heard of that particular Scientist who was so incredibly important in the development of the internet? Anyone?
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: Nabubrush on May 19, 2004, 02:29:18 pm
I think his first name is Jarod or Jerrold or something - but that could be the AI guy.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: palm trees on May 19, 2004, 02:36:27 pm
i shotgun Kid Kid Yellin' as the name of my band.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 03:16:16 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Slink, had you ever heard of that particular Scientist who was so incredibly important in the development of the internet? Anyone?


Honestly?

Yea... No.
I spent the entire read wondering quite whether it was real or not, but I guess so. Just comes across like an Arthur C. Clarke or a Bradbury or something, with his whacky SuperBrain ideas.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2004, 04:27:40 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
w00t.

does anyone remember what Apple's "aol" was called?  i forget.

it sucked at 2400baud.   not that it was that old, just my modem was.

I remember back in the day there were 3 versions which most people called WAOL, DAOL, and MAOL (for Windows, DOS, and Mac, repsectively).

Unless you were referring to a competing program created by Apple, in which case I have no idea. But I had WAOL and P$ (Prodigy). I was hardcore.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 19, 2004, 05:12:18 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Slink, had you ever heard of that particular Scientist who was so incredibly important in the development of the internet? Anyone?


Do you mean Tim Berners-Lee (http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee)?
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 05:25:32 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Do you mean Tim Berners-Lee?


Nah, Al Gore and his trousers no doubt.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: arkabee on May 19, 2004, 09:57:19 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
w00t.

does anyone remember what Apple's "aol" was called?  i forget.

it sucked at 2400baud.   not that it was that old, just my modem was.

I remember back in the day there were 3 versions which most people called WAOL, DAOL, and MAOL (for Windows, DOS, and Mac, repsectively).

Unless you were referring to a competing program created by Apple, in which case I have no idea. But I had WAOL and P$ (Prodigy). I was hardcore.


no, it was Apple's service.  i think i remember it being called "eWorld".  i think that's as much as i want to remember right now.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 19, 2004, 10:21:59 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Do you mean Tim Berners-Lee?


Nah, Al Gore and his trousers no doubt.


No, no, Emeagwali, the Nigerian guy I linked to in the History of the Internet above.

It's weird stuff.
Title: that tri-nozzle machine that fills up Twinkies (5.18.04)
Post by: slink on May 19, 2004, 10:36:58 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

No, no, Emeagwali, the Nigerian guy I linked to in the History of the Internet above.


Yea, that's what I figured at first.
Nah, I had no idea whatsoever about the guy!
But he's a, seemingly gifted crackpot.